Madonna: Truth or Dare - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Madonna: Truth or Dare Reviews

½ August 8, 2007
This film was the big thing in 1991. Fascinating and Fun tour with Madonna and her concert series. I learned to love her and hate her from this very same movie. She's a phenomenal and complex character. We saw some humanity presented too! I was awed by the stage performances and costumes which accompanied the music. I chuckled at the likes of the horse-man, the bed-pounding and the cone-bras. The Toronto authorities should be ashamed of themselves for trying to stop such an influential artist from letting her work be witnessed.
December 18, 2006
Fascinating behind-the-scenes documentary of Madonna. Absorbing stuff, whether you like her or not.
½ January 24, 2009
As many others have said, Warren Beatty steals the show with his comments about Madonna "not wanting to live off camera". Love her or hate her, this is still an interesting look inside Madonna's life.
½ February 8, 2008
If this were a sandwich you were served in a restaurant you'd have to send it back because there is too much turd on it. After someone dragged me to see this at the theater no less, I spent most of my time playing the pinball machine in the lobby.
November 17, 2007
A great documentary.
September 17, 2012
Madonna fans (there are quite a few), get ready to learn about the many sides of her you have not seen. In Truth or Dare, we get to go behind the scenes of her 1990 Blonde Ambition tour to see what goes on behind stage. Though revolting at times (this is Madonna, keep in mind), the provocative footage leads for an interesting character study centering on one of the most famous female entertainers in pop culture history. Though not recommended for all movie buffs, even those not interested in Madonna may find this documentary fascinating, nevertheless.
Filmed mostly in black and white (except colorized for the musical segments), Madonna's die hard fans should be overjoyed to get to know the person she is while not recording or performing. Considering how far she has taken her career, many surely are curious as to how she has done it all. Many viewers may see most of her lusty and somewhat obnoxious behavior as off-putting; though she does occasionally go deep with her discussions and dialogues, showcasing her alter ego. Whether someone would want to learn this or not may depend upon their tolerance for Madonna's excessive obscenity and fascination with the male sex organ.
The film certainly covers a lot as her tour covers 27 cities worldwide and sold out nearly every show. Not all of it seems necessary and makes the last half of the film longer than necessary (especially a never-ending gay pride scene), but the concept still remains fascinating and gives us a chance to know Madonna as more than strictly an entertainer. One may want to pay particular attention to footage of Oliver Crumes Jr., Kevin Alexander Stea and Gabriel Trupin (three of Madonna's male dancers) as they later filed a lawsuit for invasion of privacy, fraud and deceit and intentional misrepresentation. Released theatrically as Truth or Dare but changed to Madonna: Truth or Dare for video release.
August 18, 2012
Its hard to separate the fascinating stuff buried in here from the blatantly forced and unbelievable stuff in here. The idea of capturing the ins and outs of a major tour are interesting but it always feels like Madonna is aware of and putting on a show for the camera that it becomes hard to accept anything as truth.
That being said, there are some hilarious moments throughout and any die-hard Madonna fan would be remiss to not check this out.
December 31, 2008
LOVE THIS documentary.absolutely fabulous.

Probably my fave madona movie.

Posibly my favorite Madonna movie.
March 29, 2007
This is a good movie.Madonna is great in this movie.I recommend that people watch this movie at least once.
February 8, 2007
It gives you an insight into Madonna's life. She is not really like her stage persona. It is all for shock value.
½ May 5, 2007
Interesting behind the scenes look at Madonna in her prime, intermixed with great concert footage. Madonna was really fearless in letting the filmmaker into her life, giving the viewer a real inside look at her and all her ambition and the craziness of her life at the top of the pop heap. See her boyfriend at the time, Warren Beatty, Sandra Bernhart, Antonio Banderas, family and friends. You also get some great truth or dare challenges from her and her backup singers and dancers. A real slice of Madonna's life during her 1990 tour.
May 8, 2007
it was ok, I'm not really much of a reality show person, and that's pretty much what this movie was.
½ April 29, 2007
Tour performances + what life was like for Madonna at that time. Pretty interesting if you're not averse to late 80s Madonna's music, and the 'reality drama' aspect is low-key by today's standards.
April 18, 2007
Excellent look on what is like to be the biggest star in the world while touring dozens of countries.
September 27, 2006
This was touted as some sort of breakthrough at the time. Now, it'd just be another reality TV show.
June 19, 2006
Amazingly entertaining weather your a madonna fan or not, you cant help but be drawn in my this crazy look at Madonna'sr life during the enfamous blonde ambition tour
September 16, 2015
Bitch, she is Madonna!
½ August 28, 2015
Unlike so many similar concert docs that came after it, 'Truth or Dare' doesn't feel like a propaganda machine trying to raise its star to hero status. In fact, there are many moments where Madonna allows herself to appear in a, shall we say, less-than-flattering light (or others do it for her, like Beatty, for example), and even appears caught off guard at times (her uncomfortable interaction with her childhood friend comes to mind). She's clearly not trying to sell herself as a humble, down-to-earth superstar - which seems to be the running theme in so many popstar documentaries nowadays - and instead opts to just be an engaging persona (and boy, is she).
Watching it back after all these years, this film feels like a much-needed respite from the polished and utterly benign stuff you'd find in that One Direction or Katy Perry movie, and instead attempts to tell a fascinating - if not always sincere - story. It's refreshingly honest when it needs to be, and though it has its fair share of pretension (could you expect anything less from Madonna?) and clearly manufactured moments, it's a bold and thoroughly entertaining ride.
By the end, we still have no idea who Madonna really is, but the film never claims to tell us (as someone says in the film, "Madonna is hard to reach"), nor is it really that important. What we have instead is an entertaining, and sometimes shocking, glimpse into a world few will ever experience first hand. In true Madonna fashion, it's crazy, fearless and just plain raunchy fun.