Magic in the Water - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Magic in the Water Reviews

September 14, 2009
Very good made-for-tv film from the mid-90s. I've always been fascinated by the Loch Ness Monster, and this reminded me of that, with a great family movie tied into it.
½ January 15, 2013
A family flick mostly forgotten by today (and mostly for good reason); Magic in the Water was made seemingly to take up space in theatres until better films were released. Combining intriguing elements like a rumored sea creature living in the nearby lake with other components like father and child relationships, one may have high hopes for this one. Sadly, most will be disappointed by the long stretches of boringness leading to the dull conclusion.
This promising yet dismal premise finds young Ashley (played by a charmingly cute Sarah Wayne in her only film to date) joining her brother and father on a vacation to a lake near British Columbia where legend has it that a sea creature named "Orky" inhabits the water. The young girl becomes officially convinced this legend is true when she leaves some cookies on a doc and they are magically eaten the next day. Coincidence???
Whether this premise may be considered fascinating or entirely too corny will depend on the viewer's tolerance for straight up absurdity. Yes it is a fantasy, but this seemingly is just a copycat job of earlier (and better) Steven Spielberg movies. Some viewers may look deeper into the fact that the father and daughter relationship factor seems to be the prime focus, but the job does not quite get done here. An appealing cast does its best, but they've all surely done better projects before and after (save for Wayne).
Though some sentimental viewers may remember this one fondly (if they were a VERY undemanding youngster), few will argue that there is nothing here that has not been done better in other family/fantasy films. One would think that a film with a good cast, attractive filming locations and overall good intentions would produce better results. Don't get your hopes up, folks!
June 19, 2011
If you combine a Loch Ness type of monster in a lake with a couple of kids, some toxic waste, two sub-marines and an old man claiming to be connected to the monster, you have the movie Magic in the Water (1995; 60% rating). This turned out to be a much better movie than I expected. Heck, it is even a family movie. While it is billed as a fantasy movie, I'd be more likely to call it a kids action movie. Is the monster real or an old story? You decide. I do recommend Magic in the Water.
½ July 19, 2008
But not on the screen. Saw this on a bus. Every bit as good as the type of film one would generally see on a bus.
½ May 18, 2007
OK didn't watch this until I was already 19 (not long after finishing my first year of college) and still loved the movie. I would definatly suggest this movie to people.
½ May 4, 2007
A fun little journey into the world of fantasy. It seems that in one sleepy little Canadian town there is a monster in the lake. It's been a while since I've seen this one too and I don't have the new DVD of it that I just bought with me so no names for our heros just now.

This adorable little girl is vacationing with her father and brother at a lake in Canada where a lot of the towns men have been struck with a strange mental condition. The girls father sees something in the lake while walking alone one night and falls in only to come down with the same thing (he's a therapist or some such psych type) and since the adults can't seem to get to the bottom of it it's up to our little heroin to save the day.

This is just a fun little movie about a girl and her lake monster so don't overthink it, just sit back and let 'suspension of disbelief' take over. I promise that if you can remember even the tiniest bit of what being a kid is like that you'll love this little bit of fantasy.:)
August 23, 2015
Rating: 0/10

Simply put, this is the worst movie I've ever had the displeasure of watching.
June 5, 2015
Magic Water in the Water is a cute film. It is about radio psychologist Jack Black takes his children Joshua and Ashley on a 'vacation' to a lake in British Columbia. Mark Harmon and Joshua Jackson give excellent performances. The screenplay is well written. Rick Stevenson did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the adventure and fantasy. Magic in the Water is a must see.
August 21, 2014
WOW.....BAD.....DREADFUL....AWFUL.....MAN THIS IS SUCH A REALLY REALLY BAD MOVIE.....ITS GOT A GOOD SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.....BUT MAN THIS MOVIE IS REALLY BAD, ITS DREADFUL, AWFUL, RUBBISH, POINTLESS, THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT SOME SCENES THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.....MAN THIS IS SUCH A BAD BAD BAD MOVIE, ITS GOT A GOOD SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE, MAN THIS IS SUCH A COMPLETLEY DREADFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH......ITS GOT A GOOD SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE, BUT MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH IT IS SO SO SO BAD,
April 22, 2014
Due to its bland visuals and a lack of any whimsy or charm of any kind, "Magic in the Water" is not magical enough to intrigue even the young.
August 14, 2013
This is a movie I used to wtach over and over as a child, it may not appeal to children now days but I will always remeber it as a movie of magic and wonder that was loved by my generation.
June 8, 2013
A little girl becomes friends with a magical friendly water monster. Pretty dull and forgettable, though it has its occasional heart warming moments.
½ January 15, 2013
July 12, 2012
I love this movie it is so cute
April 15, 2012
I saw this when I was a boy and liked it.
½ December 24, 2011
Unoriginal children's film, a low budget E.T. rip-off
November 11, 2011
one of the greatest movies ever :).
½ August 24, 2011
Vacationing in British Columbia, a young girl has quite a time trying to convince dad there's a strange creature lurking in a nearby lake!
August 2, 2011
THIS PLACE IS HORRIBLE!! DO NOT GO HERE!! RIP OFFF!!!!! Go to six flags Hurricane Harbor, MAGIC WATERS it a waste of time and money even on there "TEN BUCK TUESDAY"!!!
1st: The lines are ridiculously LONG!! over hour wait for ONE slow slide!!
2nd:The lifeguards have no idea what they are doing.
3rd: Over 3 times the wave pool and roller-coaster water ride had "technical difficulties" and had to be shut down!

I drove an hour to get there and got to go on ONE ride and in the wave pool for 20mins, I waited an hour in a half in LINE to get onto the coaster ride and right when I was about to get on it broke down AGAIN then they said the park was closing!!! They would not refund my money this place SUCKS!!!!!!! DONT GO HERE!!!
June 19, 2011