43% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Magic Mike Reviews

Christian C

October 19, 2012
At first, the movie was so slow that I thought it wasn't about what I expected it to be about. ...Then, it was. Good story, but not portrayed as effectively as Boogie Nights with Mark Whalberg. Watch Boogie Nights instead for better drama with the same story.
ajaymuthecooldevils
ajaymuthecooldevils

March 23, 2012
Except the bravery concept of making this movie and having such a wonderful cast, 'Magic Mike' for me is just a decent entertainment movie that quickly be forgotten from your mind after you finished watching it.. Maybe while the strippers show the audiences their performances, we'll be dazzled for awhile but there is no special move that will mark in the audiences minds.. One good thing is Matthew McConaughey's performance who we always underrated before because his movie always stereotypical which is comedy romance.. Overall, it was a decent watch..
Ping C

September 1, 2013
Classic Sodebergh dialog. The pacing is a bit odd, but so is reality, and I think that's basically the point. Despite Mathhew Moconaghey(sp.) having a large role in the film, I enjoyed it.
Thomas J

June 14, 2012
It is all that could be expected by a film like this! Just like the subject matter - cheesy and questionable! lol
boxman
boxman

March 29, 2013
After all the hype and the derision from my friends, I finally saw Steven Soderbergh's male stripper opus Magic Mike, and it does not pain me to say, as a red-blooded heterosexual male, that I found it mostly enjoyable. I understand the detractors, many of whom were let down by the relentless, frothing hype generating the film's box-office success. The characters are fairly shallow, and almost all of the supporting players are one-dimensional; many of the male strippers only have their abs and a name to work with as far as characterization. There's also the general absurd nature of the world of male stripping, where women are whipped into a frenzy and men almost comically gyrate atop them, or in some instances, literally pick them in the air to swing their junk into. The last act also rushes all sorts of storylines: the rookie's fall from grace, Mike (Channing Tatum) coming to the realization to leave the business, a hastily thrown together romance. With all that said, I was always interested in just watching the ins and outs of this profession put on screen. And when the plot falters, there are always the impossible charms of Tatum to bring me back. Matthew McConaughey is also fascinating to watch as a mixture of showman, zen artist, and sexual being. I even found the dance/stripping sequences to be worthwhile as few insights into the various characters. While being less than magical, Magic Mike's shortcomings don't take away from what it has to offer. That may be the most unintended inuenduous statement I've ever written for a film review.

Nate's Grade: B-
Spencer S

February 18, 2012
One of the more highly anticipated and female friendly films that came out last summer, "Magic Mike" is overall a fluffy story about a male stripper going through the hardships of his profession while trying to escape it. The story is supposedly based on the former life of Channing Tatum, who worked as a stripper before making it big. The film of course has the gratuitous male nudity, sexual humor, and mantastic specimens to ooze over, but it also tries to be more than it is by showing some of the realities of working as a male stripper. Only Soderbergh could possibly make this look and feel like a serious film, as he's worked in both contemporary indies and big budget studio projects. Though these are the same themes as we've seen for many female protagonists in past films, and we know the inevitable end to the story, it's still thrilling. Besides trying to branch out from stripping, finally following his dream of making custom furniture, and finding someone who doesn't mind his profession or lurid past, we also get a glimpse into the seedy underbelly of this world. Alex Pettyfer puts in a great performance as Adam, a going nowhere young man who has a lack of ambition but a taste for a life of drugs, women, and a propensity to move up in this world. He is taken into the life thanks to Mike, who tries to watch out for him. Lending to the glamour of this life are the amazing performances from the men involved in this. Seriously, there were some bulked up, dance crazy, manly men on that stage, and though many of them never spoke in the film, their presence was appreciated. Matthew McConaughey puts in the most serious and impressive performance of his career thus far as the strip club owner and emcee, trapping Mike into his pitiful role as underling while promising a chance to start over. The love story between Mike and his protégé's sister was obvious, and the ending was flippant, but we get to see Mike's resurrection towards morality, I suppose. You wonder where Adam falls into the mix at the end as well, but he is unlikable to the extent where he could die and I wouldn't care. Gratuitous and lively, it is a good, easy watch, without the moral entanglements for the viewer.
cosmo313
cosmo313

April 21, 2012
Inspired by his own life story, Channing Tatum stars as the title character: an entrepreneur who works a series of various jobs by day, and lights up his nights as the star at a prosperous Tampa strip club.

That this is directed by Steven Soderbergh is probably the best aspect of it. I mean honestly, who else could take a fluffy story about male strippers and turn it into something with a fair amount of meat on its bones? Sure, the broad strokes of this movie, namely Mike taking a young upstart under his wing, and Mike having dreams and ambitions beyond stripping are nothing new, but Soderbergh provides a highly entertaining, likable, and energetic variation on these themes.

And yes, while the film does have a number of scenes that will make the ladies (and gay men) go wild, this isn't a sleazy romp like Showgirls. It's got actual plot and characters, and is about something. Plus, it is a very nice 'workplace' film as well.

The film is quite well cast. Tatum plays the mentor role to Alex Pettyfer's protege, which is basically a fictionalized version of Tatum himself (to a degree). CT is charismatic, charming, and quite convincing. Pettyfer is good as Alex, and brings a good amount of naivete as the upstart who struggles to handle success. Then we've got Matthew McConaughey delivering a terrific performance in a role he was seemingly born for: that of Dallas, the narcissistic, smarmy owner of Club Xquisite- and Mike's boss. He's great here, and this is another notch in his belt of great performances that prove he really is a talent. Cody Horn is also good as Brooke- Alex's sister and potential love interest for Mike, one who isn't thrilled about her brother's new career choice, and urges Mike to keep an eye on him. Olivia Munn is also okay as Mike's on-again off-again lover Joanna. We also get appearances from Joe Manganiello and Kevin Nash as fellow strippers Big Dick Richie and Tarzan, respectively. They have a couple of good moments, but I think they could have been given a little more.

The film has Soderbergh's trademark style, energy, and vision all over it, with some strong cinematography, great choreographed sequences, and some sharp editing. Bottom line: it's a fun and breezy affair, but not without a touch of heart and depth.

Give this a look, it's quite good.
Anthony L

November 29, 2012
I like Steven Soderbergh's deconstructed style of film making but I don't think it'll ever lead to anything greater than mediocre/good. Magic Mike is a good drama, not the good comedy it was advertised as but I still enjoyed it, it was just nothing special. It's a shame really as it was a unique un-Hollywood story that could and should of had more impact.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

November 8, 2012
Work all day. Work it all night.

Good movie! First let's get the nude issue out of the way. There is only one full frontal in the movie it's off to the side, is partially blocked and is probably faked. It's also very funny. There's mostly butt shots only but all are from Tatum, Pettyfer and Adam Rodriguez. This movie is not about the nudity. The movie moves slow (although I was never bored) and main events happen off screen or are never explained! Still the movie works. For one thing all the acting is good. I was surprised at how good Tatum was. I never thought he could act till this. He captures his character perfectly. Pettyfer was equally good as Adam. Even Matthew McConaughey was good as the group's owner named Dallas. The strip acts themselves are incredible. All the guys are in good shape and Tatum shows some moves that are jaw-dropping! However they're not shot in an exploited fashion. They're done in a matter of fact way that actually makes them seem quite funny. This movie shows us nothing new but it was well-made and entertaining. This is not just for women and gay men, I think everyone would enjoy it.

Mike, an experienced stripper, takes a younger performer called The Kid under his wing and schools him in the arts of partying, picking up women, and making easy money.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

June 28, 2012
"Lets not pretend that most went to see this movie in the theatre or rented it for the story-line. I know I didn't LOL. But the story did end up being more interesting then what was going down on the stage. Well, until Channing or Bomer or Manganiello took the stage. I can't help myself LOL.
Anyways. I wasn't too impressed. I thought for a stripper flick you might want to get some people who can actually dance and not just look good with their shirt/pants off. I mean that wrestler dude, Kevin Nash, had no business being on that stage. I cringed everytime I saw him. The only ones who could actually dance were the ones I mentioned earlier.
Now about the story. It was interesting enough. To see how a kid who had a bright future with college ball strayed and went a whole new direction with his life. Then to see the opposite of it for another wanting more then some dollar bills in his G-string at the end of the night. I enjoyed the movie. Not something I would probably see again though. Well....maybe.. lol."
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

October 24, 2012
Before going into Magic Mike, I thought that this was going to be a straight forward chick flick due to its subject matter. However what's very surpri8sing about this film is that it offers just as much raunchy jokes for males to enjoy as much as its female viewers. The film reminded me a lot of the British comedy The Full Monty, except Magic Mike has a less stellar cast. This is a good film for what it is, but is nowhere near as good as what everyone has claimed it to be. I love Steven Soderbergh's work, and I liked the fact that this film is something different, however I felt that there was plenty of wasted potential on-screen. There was something missing to really make this film memorable. As far as the male stripping scenes go, there's plenty of that, but it's pretty minimal and it will certainly appeal to the female viewers. The film nonetheless is good, mindless fun that could have been much better, but it's a worthy try by Soderbergh. The cast is good, but they never do anything great either and for the male audience wanting to check this one out, there's an ample supply of male oriented jokes as well. The only reason that this is viewed by many as a chick flick is because of the way it was marketed. As a whole it's fun whether you're a guy or a lady. However just don't expect to be blown away by this film because you're surely going to be disappointed. If you enjoyed this film, then give The Full Monty a viewing because that film had a lot more depth and delivered where this film lacked. Still for all its flaws, this is a crazy, entertaining ride that is worth seeing at least once.
Bill D 2007
Bill D 2007

August 26, 2012
"Magic Mike" is mildly charming, but that's about it. If you like seeing a lot of tight male buttocks, there's plenty of that. Among the actors, Matthew McConaughey is the stand-out. He gives a strong, sad performance as the aging founder of a male stripper revue realizing that his life is probably not going to amount to much.

This is turning out to be quite a year for McConaughey, who has given one strong supporting performance after another. (Don't miss his work in "Bernie" and "Killer Joe.")

But the movie is centered on Mike, played by the astoundingly mediocre Channing Tatum. Tatum is great to look at. He does have a body that is almost other-worldly in its beauty. He looks like an ancient Greek statue come to life. He does make for an energetic and creative stripper, too. There are many stripping sequences in "Magic Mike," and his are the best by far. But when it comes to acting, Tatum is out of his depth. I get the feeling that he just hasn't developed much of an inner life. The key to acting, at least in my book, is having a deep inner life of one's own, which allows you to construct an inner life for your characters. When Tatum acts, all he has is his body.

That appears to be fine for director Steven Soderbergh, who wanted to make a television-level movie. Soderbergh in the last 15 years or so has become something of a zombie filmmaker. He roams around in a bit of a stupor, eating movie genres. One at a time, he's going to consume every one of them. This time, his objective was to make a TV-level movie for semi-educated housewives, and he pulls it off admirably well. He has learned how to do this genre, meeting his objective.

Soderbergh stoops to conquer again. He's become expert at doing movies below him, turning into more of an expert movie technician than an artist. He doesn't seem to have much to say anymore.

English actor Alex Pettyfer plays a novice stripper whom Tatum takes under his wing. It's too soon to tell, but there's a chance Pettyfer could turn into a fairly serious actor. He appears still to be just enjoying himself and reveling in the attention being directed at him. (Everybody wants to sleep with me now. I'm a god!) But I sense something deeper in him that I hope he cultivates. I hope he doesn't turn into another Channing Tatum. If I were going to give him advice, I'd say get some serious dramatic acting lessons -- some Literature classes are also not a bad idea. That's how you develop your inner life. Ask Sean Penn for advice, not Channing Tatum. Or Steven Soderbergh.
Anatoliy D

July 6, 2012
Wts
Carlos M

June 27, 2012
The steady direction and great performances contribute for this engaging drama about two male strippers whose lives move in opposite directions of the same path. It begins amusing but then gradually grows more and more serious as the story starts to question their lifestyle.
Everett J

August 14, 2012
So, I honestly did not think I would like this movie, and no it had nothing to do with male strippers. I generally don't like Steven Soderbergh directed movies. I liked "Ocean Eleven", but everything else(including the sequels) just don't work for me. I find them bland more times than not. Saying that, I was pleasantly surprised to find this more along the line of "Eleven" than his other movies. I really enjoyed it. It's a pretty generic story(but with guys like this,who needs story right?) about a male stripper(Channing Tatum) who wants out, while taking a young guy(Alex Pettyfer) under his wing. Kind of like a "stipper with a heart of gold" type story. It's cheesy, and a lot of it isn't believable(Tatum has a love for furniture? yeah right), but it's very entertaining. No, I'm not gay, I just have a warped sense of humor. Seeing a guy use a penis pump is pretty funny. I'd say my biggest hang up on the movie is Kevin Nash as a stripper. He is so out of place, can barely move, and like I told my WIFE, "the other guys are just way hotter". Yeh she thought that was pretty gay of me to say. She liked the movie as well, which hey, she usually don't like movies. Girls will LOVE this movie, and guys if your not uptight or homophobic then you will get a kick out of it. Give it a chance, it will surprise you.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

July 5, 2012
So they finally had the wisdom to make a movie about me? (*wink wink*). Jokes and self-flattery aside though, this was actually a fairly fun watch; delivered to us with competence by accomplished director Steven Soderbergh. So for those expecting a pure "Ladies Night" type of film, you might be surprised by the solidly written, substance-instilled script.

Based on Channing Tatum's own background as a male entertainer, you can tell that he's very much on his home soil here. But the nice thing about this film, is that isn't all about the six-packs and well-coreographed dance numbers, but has bona fide characters and authentic-ringing dialogue. They speak, act and think the way normal, real-life people do.

Despite keeping superficiality at bay, however, it is regrettably a rather long-winded picture. It takes too long to get things said and induced a couple of yawns at certain points throughout the narrative. This could easily have been resolved by tightening up the story a bit and with a stronger focus on the essentials. Because the potential is definitely there, just not always the execution.

Acting-wise, I have no complains to file though. Tatum, who first gave me the impression of a big dumb oaf who've made a career solely on his looks, has impressed me quite tremendously since I saw him in 21 Jump Street. He's not just a huge mountain of muscles, for the girls to scream themselves hoarse at. He can genuinely act.

Given the material, it reminded me in some ways of a modern American equivalent of the British success hit The Fully Monty, from 1997. But I suppose with the major difference that Channing Tatum and his stripper colleagues have a little more to show off than tummies built on Guinness.

Because of the weakness in the pacing though, and some all-too-familiar, platitudinous subplots, it fails to go that extra mile into dramedy greatness. Now, I was fortunate enough to see this for free at an advanced screening, but for those planning to see it at the theatres, I'd recommend you to wait for the rental release instead. A worthwhile guilty pleasure, but not quite as magical as the title would suggest.
Al S

July 30, 2012
Director, Steven Soderbergh`s most daring, realistic and compelling film yet. A sharp, well-crafted and wonderfully performend film. It has enough sizzle to melt cold steel and thats just from the charisma from the actors. A bold, muscular, sexy and thrilling portrait. A breezy cocktail full of enery and style and serves up as one of the year`s most stunning surprises. A reality-based cautionary tale filled with sensational dance numbers. The most revealing portrait of the adult entertainment world since Boogie Nights. Channing Tatum and Matthew McConaughey are absolutely brilliant, Tatum gives alots of affection and subtly to his Mike character and crafts a fine and strong performance. McConaughey is at his best. Cody Horn is excellent, Alex Pettyfer is terrific.
Liam G

May 23, 2012
You've got to hand it to Steven Soderbergh. He has proved during his career that he make so many different films, from a caper with an ensemble cast to a low-budget drama with a porn star as the lead. ''Magic Mike'' is another fine addition to Soderbergh's resume and shows just how versatile of a director he is. He gets the best out of his actors, in particular Channing Tatum (one of 2012's biggest stars) and Matthew McConaughey (who seems to be paying back all of the awful romantic comedies he's done in the past this year). The screenplay is solid, featuring some sharp dialogue and Soderbergh paces the film really well. Overall, ''Magic Mike'' is an interesting look into the lives of male strippers and, though the final act is a little by-the-numbers, it is one of the summer's most entertaining treats.
Kevin C

July 17, 2012
Shut up. This movie works.
Alice S

July 15, 2012
Seriously the best film I've seen in theaters in a long time. Friend and movie reviewer Molly Brost asserts that the movie is "better than it had any right to be or really needed to be." It's a semi-autobiographical account of Channing Tatum's past as a male stripper in a burlesque revue, and it would have been just fine as prenuptial eye candy, but with Soderbergh at the helm, the film is a gritty, well-paced expose at best, and a marginally cheesy cautionary tale at worst.

Channing Tatum is in his element on that stage. His fusion of B-boy, hip hop, pop and lock is excitingly choreographed and executed. He also continues to charm me with his meathead banter. Cody Horn as Brooke, the sensible older sister of Mike's protege, Adam, is hard as nails with her Marlon-Brando-stuffing-cotton-in-his-jaw underbite. The flirtation between Mike and Brooke is silly yet guarded. She doesn't play hard-to-get. She IS hard to get.

Olivia Munn, whom I don't usually like, even sinks her teeth into a meaty role as the friend with benefits/lesbian tendencies/feelings complex. That post-booty call scene with her on the couch, wiping away tears as if they were sweat, is all at once, pitiful and pure.

My one qualm with the movie is that it doesn't get into the misogyny and misandry of strip clubs - not that strip clubs are inherently objectifying; I can appreciate the art and those who do it artfully. However, this film is of the mindset that male strip clubs are for women's objectification of men whereas I think male strip clubs/revues objectify women just as much as female strip clubs do. The only reaction shown was rabid women, eager to stuff the dudes' banana hammocks with Benjamins whereas in my experience, the most pervasive reaction of an unsuspecting bride-to-be is horror at being bodily thrown over a beefcake's shoulders while he bumps and grinds or mimes cunnilingus. Skeevy Matthew McConaughey reminds the audience that they can't touch, but the strippers are allowed to touch as much as they want, uninvited or not. It promotes male dominance, not just a removed sense of voyeurism.