Die Abenteuer von Pico und Columbus (The Magic Voyage) Reviews

½ October 10, 2010
Odd, mostly because it's been dubbed over in English. The dialogue is strange and awkward as the animation. The main character is unlikable, and the secondary character the cute little book termite is much more interesting. On the whole, the movie is not worth watching.
½ January 31, 2015
The only portion of any worth was the animation in the thunderstorm sequence before they land in the New World, a scene which does not even need to exist. Everything else is awful; the animation is awkward, the voice acting rivals early Popeye, the characters are stock and one-dimensional, the plot is laughable, the editing is hasty, and nothing else is worth complaining about.
September 10, 2014
The magic voyage has a boring animation style, dull characters and absolutely nothing worth seeing.
July 9, 2014
It's a guilty pleasure.
November 14, 2013
There is very little that can be praised in The Magic Voyage. Some of the animation is nice, but then in other parts, it looks like garbage. Couple that with bad dubbing and the constant barrage of noise that permeates from this film, it is nothing that any parent should subject their children to, unless of course, they need to be punished. Badly.
½ May 5, 2013
Super loud and obnoxious The story make no sense and doesn't come close to the actual Christopher Columbus story. You could sail all around the world and find better film.
½ March 1, 2013
What can be said about this movie that hasn't been said already? This movie sucks.
½ February 20, 2013
When I was a kid, I liked it. Why did I? The hell should I know? I didn't remember a single thing about it until I saw it years later! What was I thinking?!
December 16, 2012
This film might have been made in Germany, but that's no excuse why this film has nothing to do with what really happened in 1492.
October 19, 2012
this movie is funny, crazy, and silly on so many levels
June 13, 2012
Hideous... Simply hideous... Even the 1980's version of Captain America is a better history lesson than this horrible animated torture session!
January 23, 2012
This.....was.....HORRENDOUS!!!!!!!
½ April 14, 2012
A film not even the smallest of kids would enjoy.
November 2, 2011
I remember watching this one as a child, liking it. Maybe I might have a different view on it now.
½ October 6, 2011
Looking back at this film, this is probably a very weird piece that I saw in my childhood, and it still is today. The film may be enjoyable with brief moments of comedy, but the one thing that the film lacks is a pause in dialogue. Yes, I did see the Nostalgia Critics review of this movie, but the one thing I like in this film is the complete pieces of absolute randomness that this film provides.
½ April 24, 2011
Who approved of this garbage again?
April 12, 2011
After watching the NC's reviews of this, I can see why it was so hated by him.

What a joke this movie was!

They couldn't get the story right of Columbus if their life depended on it.
Dee
September 10, 2010
"The Magic Voyage" is a movie that was dubbed by some very well-known people in my country, and that is why it was also widely advertised back in the time. I am sure that every person living in the Netherlands who was born around the 90s knows about this movie. And that says alot when judging its true quality.

Even so, it's hard for me to say this movie is a failure. Our voice actors did a great job and the movie was filled with silly, but hilarious little remarks which always made it incredibly fun for me to watch.
The songs were also great. They had a very nice melody.

Of course alot of people will fall over the odd script, the way Columbus was portrayed, and the fact the characters often talk without their mouths moving. But to be honest, I believe that was the style the creators were going for.
If people like anime, then why have a problem with this flaw? Because they don't have huge, colourful eyes and say "DESU!1!" or "NYA!?!" every 5 seconds?

When looking at the animation itself you can say it's either decent or just "good enough", but I don't think "terrible" is really the way to describe it, since there are enough scenes to prove you wrong.
The character designs are something you can twist about; I thought they were good, but I always questioned the main character's design, Pico, who is supposed to be a bookworm, but doesn't look like anything familiar at all.

The plot is overall nice. While people complain, I don't think the creators were going for a "realistic" story here. This movie is obviously for children and that is why I think reviews that go like "I loved this movie when I was little but now it's totally gay" are meaningless. But they are also proving my point.
Even so, if you love cheesy humor this is the movie for you, whatever your age is.
½ May 29, 2010
i like this movie kinda cheesy, and funny i really like it alot although the whole peoplein this movie is crazy funny and sweet.