Main Street Reviews

jjnxn
½ December 8, 2012
With a cast like the one this film has and a script based on a Horton Foote story it should have much better than the dull pointless mess that this one is.
March 28, 2012
Great cast....not so great script. I kept waiting for the meaning of it all. It never came. What a waste of some great talents. Not terrible, but definitely forgettable.
SC007
March 16, 2013
The film took me by surprise. From the trailer, I wasn't expecting much. However, after watching the film, I was pleasantly surprised by it. It is really good. I don't understand why it didn't get more publicity when it came out. The film kind of, in a weird way, reminded me of the movie Magnolia. I felt like I have seen this type of film before. It is well directed and great dialog in it. The film is well casted and everyone shines. I definitely recommend this film.
June 29, 2009
This is a tough one. Great cast. Great performances. Less than good story. It builds like an actual movie but never goes anywhere. Characters were interesting enough to make it worth checking out though.
June 27, 2014
Rather boring and uninteresting movie. Took over 20 mins to get in what main part of the story is. Some parts of the story is irrelevant to the main part of the story. It does point out one thing: No matter how many safety measures we take, Hazardous waste is still risky and dangerous.
January 31, 2013
This film feels so dated, and I guess the script was written years before. In our current world, the need for cheap, reliable energy has taken some of the heat down on the issue of nuclear waste storage. If this had opened a decade or more ago it would have made more sense. There just was not any feeling that real danger existed. The ending lacked any kind of tension or sense of outrage. And, though I truly love Colin Firth, his accent was not good.
½ August 4, 2012
kept thinking of that bob seger song which thank God they didn't use in this ensemble drama that well written and well played.
½ June 30, 2009
This story was a slow one to get into and then in the end nothing was really resolved. The cast was good, but the story left me wanting more.
½ November 18, 2011
Yes, Durham should sue (as a critic advised). This was beyond bad, but I sat through the entire train wreck because it was filmed in my hometown.
½ September 2, 2014
Not a typical american movie... go for it.
½ March 16, 2014
Whether Colin Firth is the king of England or a texan front man for a toxic waste company, women and men swoon before this tall suave and handsome man. They will be persuaded by him to do what they normally would not. Like opening their Durham backyard to storage of hazardous material. Just as Meryl spoke flawless Queens english as Maggie thatcher, Colin attempted Texan drawl was impressive but obviously inauthentic. Divine intervention or God's will, a disaster like the hazardous waste trucks' accident on the highway altered the course of people's lives. For one, it prevented the departure of the sweet girl, the sweetheart to the young policeman 'Orlando Bloom' who held a torch for her and wished she never left. He must have thanked God for the accident.
½ March 16, 2014
Whether Colin Firth is the king of England or a texan front man for a toxic waste company, women and men swoon before this tall suave and handsome man. They will be persuaded by him to do what they normally would not. Just as Meryl spoke flawless Queens english as Maggie thatcher, Colin's Texan drawl was impressive. Divine intervention caused the accident to the hazardous waste truck and prevented the departure of the sweet girl. Sweetheart to the young policeman 'Orlando Bloom' who held a torch for her must be thanking God for the accident.
½ March 16, 2014
Tall suave and handsome, whether he is the king of England or a texan front man for a toxic waste company. Women and men swoon before Colin Firth and will be persuaded to do what they normally would not. Just as Meryl spoke flawless Queens english as Maggie thatcher, Colin's Texan drawl was impressive. Divine intervention caused the accident to the hazardous waste truck and prevented the departure of the sweet girl. Sweetheart to the young policeman 'Orlando Bloom' who held a torch for her must be thanking God for the accident.
½ February 5, 2014
A history that starts good and finishing without ideas, i was dissapointed , period
May 24, 2013
Not as bad as advertised.
May 15, 2013
this movie seemed like propaganda for a positive look on hazardous waste. it sucked so much we watched it through just to see how bad it got.... it did indeed disappoint. with a cast like that, they would have had to pay these folks a lot of money.... I hope they donated it all to hazardous waste clean up.
March 6, 2013
The theme of dying small towns hits home, since all the towns I've lived in have experienced this phenomena of our time and I'm old enough to remember when downtowns were where everything took place, and to have seen them gradually fail, along with the industries that gave birth to them. Also, I often watch movies with low rankings, because I often disagree with the critics and like them anyway. And this movie had a great cast. In addition, although Horton Foote's had some screenplay flops, he also had some great successes too. But like the flops, this movie is slow to the point of being excruciating, with very little plot and no real development of the characters. The result is wooden in the extreme--well, you win some and you lose some.
March 13, 2013
Very balanced film fits right into today's quest for the America Dream.The continuing questions of how to maintain that dream and @ what cost.? The movie refuses to preach to you and is very character driven. Soft, quaint, and wholesome with a tad of Corporation Hazardous Waste intrigue to keep you focus.There is no bad guy vs good guy just pure survival in today's America. The Andy Griffith Show + Michael Moore + Apple Pie = Main Street