Making Contact - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Making Contact Reviews

March 11, 2016
9 year old boy who loses father thinks he connects with him beyond the grave via toy phone only to learn it is the evil spirit of an old ventriloquist's dummy. Thought this was being set up as a feel good story but boy never does connect to his dead father. Still unclear how the boy developed telekinetic powers. The university must have received massive grants judging by the mass of technicians and equipment sent over to the boy's house to assess his powers, it was amazing the boy walked out from their supervision without anyone noticing. Probably should have been made as a children's adventure, especially with the tag line "an out of this world adventure", but film ventures into dark territory far too often for that. Will have to watch this again someday, certainly has some camp value.
½ November 1, 2014
liked it as a child, now its terrible, I do not know what happened, possibly 30 years
September 6, 2014
A possessed ventriloquist dummy torments a child who recently lost his father to death. At first the kid thinks his father is possessing the dummy, but soon he realizes its a demon. He has some super powers which are triggered by the onset of puberty so he battles some monsters and bullies. The kid was way too spoiled and had too many cool toys! Pretty uneven; a too-complicated story, mostly poor special effects and unsympathetic characters make for this to be unmemorable.
September 7, 2013
I grew up with this movie. Thank you Roland :)
½ August 19, 2013
It's a rip off of E.T even though the plot shouldn't have anything to do with making friends with mentally disabled aliens. The best part of the movie I found was to look for all the 1980s action figures, board games, and furniture.
February 26, 2013
After not seeing for a good 20 years (geez I'm getting old), I found this at a thrift store and bought it. Then I remembered that i didn't really care for it as a kid. So how much did I remember? I recall being affected by a kid who's father died and his has powers to make his toys come to life and talks to his dead father on a phone. Where things get cooler and potentially more creepy is when a dummy is found and seems to be the antithesis of Joey's powers. Making Contact or Joey, whatever you want to call it could have been a lot better. It is pretty much 80's cheese but I appreciate how the kid's room looks. He even has a total R2D2 ripoff robot. That robot has to be made for this movie because I do not recall them ever being on the market and they would have been in every kid's possession if there was something that you could buy that walked/slide around like this thing did. While watching this I got whiffs of a heavy Spielberg influence and was going to comment on that but see that others did too. Directed by the stroke who did Independence Day and a bunch of other huge budgeted crap. The dummy isn't nearly as effective as it should have been but not every movie pulls off anything effectively
½ December 28, 2012
A cheesy old 80's film I remembered from my childhood. Not very good, but the dummy was creepy at times.
January 2, 2012
This is the movie inside my head. My childhood. I kid you not, this villain was absolutely terrifying! At no point did I think it was merely a movie featuring a voice actor. I was in terror, & life was in peril. Such real dialogue. Not exactly superior acting. Extremely poor. Some aspects are such overt ET rip-offs, that it's embarrassing.

Simultaneously, the best & worst movie ever made. Basically, 2001 for children.
October 18, 2012
I dont remember the movie all too much but as a kid that evil doll scared the shit out of me. I remember it being a psuedo-dark movie with a lot of odd creepyness. The 80's produced some odd flicks..
½ August 26, 2012
I liked this movie as a kid and after re-watching it I still found it to be entertaining.
½ May 28, 2012
This used to scare the crap out of me when I was 5
April 10, 2012
a good horror/sci-fi film from my childhood days that i had been planning to rewatch
September 11, 2011
The problem with Making Contact is that it was overshadowed by all the Spielberg-tastic big budget kid sci-fi flicks of the mid 80's. Movies like E.T., Poltergeist, Gremlins and The Explorers make Making Contact look like a half assed film school duo's project. Not to say that's a bad thing necessarily; in fact, that gives it most of its style but also shows its age.

The premise is unique enough and most of the story telling is left up to the viewer, which makes it a lot less agonizing to swallow (nothing grinds my gears more than when the writers feel they need to explain every little thing to the viewer, as if they think we lack the capacity to figure it out on our own). Here we have a young boy, Joey, who has just lost his father. All he wants to do is speak to him again and, with his sudden psycho-kinetic powers and a red toy phone, his wish is shortly granted. But is it really his father on the other line?

Without ruining the story, I will say that the bulk of the acting is shit and, aside from the children, all the actors may as well be replaced by cardboard cutouts. It really is a sort of coming of age/innocence of child sort of movies that, if put in more competent hands, could've been an instant classic that any cinephile would love to add to their catalog right next to E.T.
ScoopOnline
March 28, 2011
The doll was really creepy and devlish. All around the Movie was not bad, watchable. I think the Movie is not for kids under let say 12.
June 3, 2010
After not seeing for a good 20 years (geez I'm getting old), I found this at a thrift store and bought it. Then I remembered that i didn't really care for it as a kid. So how much did I remember? I recall being affected by a kid who's father died and his has powers to make his toys come to life and talks to his dead father on a phone. Where things get cooler and potentially more creepy is when a dummy is found and seems to be the antithesis of Joey's powers. Making Contact or Joey, whatever you want to call it could have been a lot better. It is pretty much 80's cheese but I appreciate how the kid's room looks. He even has a total R2D2 ripoff robot. That robot has to be made for this movie because I do not recall them ever being on the market and they would have been in every kid's posession if there was something that you could buy that walked/slide around like this thing did. While watching this I got whiffs of a heavy Spielberg influence and was going to comment on that but see that others did too. Directed by the stroke who did Independence Day and a bunch of other huge budgeted crap. The dummy isn't nearly as effective as it should have been but not every movie pulls off anything effectively
½ February 22, 2010
Unique, Underrated and dark German horror fantasy that is one of my all time favorite movies.
½ December 6, 2009
Loved this movie as a child.. watched the other day and was still quite entertained.
½ July 12, 2009
I was really surprised by how good this was! It had a lot of great imaginative and creative ideas, but it still had a weird sense of realism to it. I really liked it!
March 5, 2008
A magical, highly underrated and unique cult German supernatural horror fantasy drama modern fairy tale that is one of my favorite movies of all time since Junior High in the 90's. I saw this movie when i was 5 in 1986 in a theater in St. Louis and it scared the bejesus out of me even with that scary little bastard of a dummy. It's influenced by the movies of George Lucas with a bit of the stories of The Grimms Brothers and The Twilight Zone TV show as i always believe this is Roland Emmerich's best movie.

The story is about a 9 year old boy named Joey Collins played nicely by Joshua Morrell, he loves movies like Star Wars and E.T. as he has a big collection of the movie merchandise in his room and his dad just kicked the bucket. He lives in Virgina Beach City with his mother now in the suburbs near the beach, one night he gains telekinetic and psychic powers that enables him to make his toys including Star Wars figures come to life and even communicate with his dead dad on a toy Phone. However he becomes unpopular at school for the kids thinks he's crazy, one day he finds a creepy ventriloquist dummy in a old abandoned mansion that belong to a magician. He takes it home with him only to find it that is it possessed by a demon with powers like Joey's only stronger as it terrorizes the boy and threatens his mother, friends, enemies, teacher and city with demons from another dimension as the boy must end the madness.

It's a dark and not-too-sugar-coated modern fable with a nice edge of creepiness and some emotion with suprisingly good acting from Joshua Morrell and Eva Kryll. The dummy is the scariest one to hit the screen since Fats from Magic, it nicely uses some movie references in a playful non-spirited and non-sarcastic kind of way as this movie is really about the imagination of a 9 year old boy who dreams of living in his favorite movies like Star Wars and E.T. yet it brings out the child in anyone who had that same idea as a child to live out their favorite movies.The film is also about learning how to cope with death and learning about it and of course the power of the heart, it offers good lessons about life as well and i think it's far better then Emmerich's hollywood stuff.

A must see even on Youtube!
April 20, 2009