Making Mr. Right Reviews

½ August 31, 2014
Director Susan Seidelman made a few very 80s looking comedies that are not exactly classics, but watching them now really capture the time. She started off with "Desperately Seeking Susan" followed by this film and then made the underrated "Cookie". This film isn't nearly as pop culture obsessed at "Desperately Seeking Susan," but like "Cookie" it captures all that was hip about 80s culture in a story that could easily have taken place in any time period. This film is about John Malkovich making an android that looks exactly like him to make a long distance voyage into space. While preparing his robot, Ann Magnuson takes and interest and ends up humanizing the robot by teaching him about human interactions in ways that are much to the consternation of Malkovich. It's a pretty dorky idea, with a robot learning about love and consequentially the other characters learn about love as well, but it's such a great cast that is all manages to work. Ann Magnuson is an actress I've always had a crush on, so I love anything she's in and Malkovich is always great, but you also get Glenne Headly, Laurie Metcalf and Polly Bergen in supporting roles. Not a classic, but quite an enjoyable film all around.
August 10, 2011
*1/2 (out of four)

Dull comedy with John Malkovich at his craziest self and a scrpt that is in need of some serious overhauling.

Malkovich plays a scientist who has created a robotic double of himself that he hopes can be used at various events. The problem is he has no personality himself so he hires Ann Magnussen to teach the robot how to become charming.

She was pretty good, but the movie is mostly a waste.
April 17, 2011
A fun and easy on your brain movie about a scientist who creates and android (in his own likeness). The android's job is to perform long term space travels that a human couldn't handle. Well, somehow this android is a bit too much like his maker having emotions; add a cute girl and you can guess the rest. Its fun.
February 10, 2011
Ann Magnuson is irresistible and John Malkovich was adorable. Sweet 80s nonsense.
October 27, 2010
It has charm, but I couldn't grip with the story and characters.
Blaster1618
September 11, 2010
People are defined by the bad things that happen to them in lives. This exceptionally low budget pic makes up for the lack of visual flare with a great intellectual concept and Malkovich in dual roles. The bad part of this movie is Malkovich does an excellent job of portraying a genius scientist which will in all probability bore the general public. Anne Magnuson in her only chance I?ve seen as a leading role gives it her all and it?s very enjoyable. Highly recommended if you live an examined life.
½ August 10, 2010
John Malkovich plays double duty In what has to be one of the stupidest concepts of a film filled with the most annoying female characters...interesting since it was directed by a woman.
May 17, 2010
i think it was more funner in the 80 a posd 2 now
July 12, 2008
Major fav, very cute.
November 10, 2007
A lot better than I thought. I picked it because of Malkovich and got a surprise. It's worth a look!
July 8, 2007
This is a very funny movie. He is a really good actor. If you need some laughter in your life, you should see this one.
June 18, 2007
I watched this dozens of times when I was a tween and liked it for some reason. Watching it twenty years later merely proves how dated it is and how bad it was to begin with. Malkovich is alright in a dual role and does some random, goofy and sometimes very entertaining and funny things. The story's nothing great and watching it again years later just proves that nothing's as good as you remember it to be. A star for Malkovich and a star for the memories.
½ June 24, 2007
gaaaaaaawd i saw this movie when i was a KID and i think only saw it once
This is where i got to know the song "So Happy Together" and since i first heard it i got glued and YEARS until now i finaly got it traced down
suddenly i feel my work is done on earth - LOL
erm...this movie? ...erm.. all i rmbred was this ne guy being so in love with android... i REALLY wna re-watch this movie
½ June 22, 2007
Why, John Malkovich....why???
June 2, 2007
Even thought John gets on m nerves royally w/ his ego...I do love this movie. I have seen it hundreds of time--a classic!
May 19, 2007
A childhood fav. Um... strangely heart warming? lol. Very cute for a funny flick. Luv JM &AM always.
½ April 27, 2007
was enertaining when i was eight, for some reason i don't think it stands the test of time
April 7, 2007
dont watch this one.
January 1, 2007
stay away from this movie! i dont know what john malkovich was thinking,but it's a waste of time even if you're bored! cleaning would be more interesting!
November 29, 2006
I'd like to see this movie!!