Maléfique

62% Under the Dome: Season 2

Maléfique Reviews

_kelly .

October 6, 2008
I loved this. Tiny set, never lets up on the strangeness, deals with the occult alongside real-life horrors, and still packs in some great gore.

Using the tinniest of settings - one prison cell - the film stages a grand odyssey and one never tires of the setting.

As usual, I've got to complain that I don't think the trans character was handled in a manner consistent with the aspirations of trans-aware advocate-artists like myself.

All of the (four main and one temporary secondary) characters are complex and intriguing. For once, I'm not really that incensed at a "twist" ending, though I do think it was not appropriately foreshadowed and a montage of clips that were supposed to foreshadow the reveal shown right before the reveal is way too cliche and should have been cut.

Overall, the feeling of being utterly trapped with something so cryptic and powerful and surrounded by dangerous people is perfectly conveyed. I do wonder if there are modern prisons that are this shitty, though.
Sylvester K

August 12, 2013
Malefique is a decent French supernatural horror film. Four prisoners sharing one cell discovered a book which could be the only hope of their escape, but the book contains more trouble than it seemed. It's a little bit slow but you get to know all of the characters and the special effects were magnificent too. Overall a nice little gem to understand the darkest secrets of people.
Christopher B

April 18, 2008
A very entertaining film that keeps the pace going with a decent story, well written dialogue and good characters. Reminds me of a lot of the older horror films where plot actually meant something.
mrhaljam
September 16, 2008
It took quite a while for Eric Valette's somber four-man prison drama (with an irresistible supernatural hook) to make its way over to us, but this little movie is every bit as sweet as I always knew it would be. Proof of what can be done with very limited resources and a lot of creativity. Slated, inevitably, for the hack Hollywood remake treatment. But money can't buy the sort of mood and menace Valette so effectively conjured here.
July 31, 2008
This kind of reminded me of Lord of Illusions to me. I read that it is was very gory but it really wasnt. But the movie kept me very interested all the way to the end.
Sylvester K

August 12, 2013
July 12, 2013
Strange, thought-provoking, and AWESOME!
July 11, 2013
definitely a good story
November 27, 2011
Unterhaltsam mit netter Idee und Ausfà 1/4hrung. Stark.
August 12, 2011
Loved the setting and the beautifully twisted ending...like a story from Amicus or Tales from the Crypt anthologies.
May 24, 2011
One of the best French horror films. Very entertaining and bizzare concepts through out. Horror fans get onto it.