Mama

Mama

65%

Will this be worth it?

I'm not entirely sure what to expect. It's very difficult for me to put all my eggs into the basket of a pg-13 horror show, however I generally have high hopes when dealing with del Toro. On the other hand, I was disappointed to see what appears to be the film's entirety condensed into a two minute trailer. I'm not sure if I'm being too critical. Any thoughts?
Babadook Nyland
01-5-2013 03:44 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

James Virant

James Virant

Not scary. Has a fantastic buildup, then the end of the movie sucks so bad that turning the tv off is a better alternative than watching it. It builds up with incredible suspense and has a few good scares, but a little more than halfway the movie flatlines and it turns from hiding under the blanket to throwing the blanket aside saying come on. When mama is actually revealed, the movie only goes down. Somehow with our incredible affects they put together the most un-scary monster yet.

Sep 16 - 11:18 PM

Lovino V.

Lovino Vargas

The beginning is strong, and one of the jumpscares made me scream out loud in theater. Sadly as the movie progresses the creepy atmosphere begins to lose it's appeal and it becomes a horrible cheap CGI movie. Mama was like The Grudge gone wrong. Although, I'll say the acting was up to par.

Feb 5 - 07:37 PM

Josh Renel

Josh Renel

Sinister > Mama......Saw Sinister and appreciated it much more after seeing Mama, Mama had some unintentional funny parts and CGI upset me. Relied too much on "pop-out" scares. Although Sinister wasn't as well known as Mama when released, Sinister might be the scariest movies I've seen in years.

Jan 27 - 09:41 AM

Vanessa Garcia

Vanessa Garcia

Sinister wasn't scary.

Feb 4 - 09:39 PM

Babadook Nyland

Babadook Nyland

Clearly, the word "scary" is relative. Josh may find Sinister scary while I may find your trite cynicism to be scary.

Or annoying. Or foolish. Or just plain stupid.

Feb 5 - 09:43 AM

Jamie Heston

Jamie Heston

The CGI left little to the imagination to the imagination for the last third of the movie. Very dissapointing, eventually I couldn't wait to leave.

Jan 23 - 05:54 PM

Jamie Heston

Jamie Heston

The CGI left little to the imagination to the imagination for the last third of the movie. Very dissapointing, eventually I couldn't wait to leave.

Jan 23 - 05:29 PM

Selena K.

Selena Kyle

I love creepy kids, Mama has two of them. Good movie.

Jan 23 - 01:34 PM

Jim P.

Jim Prescott

Thought it was not bad...till the last 10 minutes...that ruined it for me. I think our "high tech age" has done too much in a negative way. Good horror movies are gone forever.

Jan 21 - 07:51 PM

David Wilkinson

David Wilkinson

I'm really tired of the ghosts in movies looking like a combo of the ones from The Ring and The Grudge. It was scary back in the early 2000's. Not any more.

Jan 21 - 04:17 PM

Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee

If you grade Mama on a curve, it's one of the more atmospheric and emotional ones with solid acting. Definitely worth it, especially for a horror film that comes out in the month of January

Jan 20 - 12:06 AM

Donnie Luther

Donnie Luther

i thought it was great, just saw it today, freakiest stuff ive seen since the grudge, and that movie ruined my childhood.

Jan 19 - 09:24 PM

Michael Fox

Michael Fox

Just watched it. I wasn't too disappointed in the movie. I was expecting a lot worse, but it is a little more original than... say... the past few horror movies. I'm not gonna tell you any spoilers, but I will tell you that it will make you jump a few times while keeping you puzzled about the true nature of the motivations of Mama.

Jan 18 - 08:47 PM

Robert  J.

Robert Jones

I'm not expecting anything spectacular here, an over protective ghost mom and some creepy kids, I'm sure there will be a few scary jump scenes but not much else. I'll still probably see it in theaters though.

Jan 18 - 11:43 AM

WClaude

Claude Whiffen

I'm reading a lot of mixed reviews but I'm still gonna check it out. I like Del Toro and Jessica Chastain so I'd give Mama a shot.

Jan 16 - 11:33 AM

hollis m.

hollis mills

nah, i dont see this happening, now the evil dead....that is something else!

Jan 11 - 06:13 PM

Babadook Nyland

Babadook Nyland

Finally, we agree on something.

Jan 12 - 09:37 AM

hollis m.

hollis mills

haha yeah, this is good...bonding

Jan 12 - 02:14 PM

Babadook Nyland

Babadook Nyland

Concurred. We should do this more often lol.

Jan 12 - 03:24 PM

Will T.

Will Tate

Nope. Its just gonna be another shitty exorcism movie that thinks its being unique. Just watch

Jan 10 - 04:54 PM

Brandon Dalton

Brandon Dalton

Well, considering this film is being produced by del Toto who who has an incredible track record. I would say you are wrong by way of default.

Jan 10 - 06:10 PM

ThoroughlyEntertainOrDie

Thoroughly Entertain Me Or Die

a track record that is soon to be ruined by pacific rim...

Jan 12 - 12:59 PM

Yodaman Solo

Yodaman Solo

Yea, I have a bad feeling about Pacific Rim as well. I hope it turns out to be good.

Jan 18 - 06:38 AM

Ricky Rodriguez

Ricky Rodriguez

Personally, Don't Be Afraid of the Dark shook my confidence in him. That movie is horrible.

Jan 14 - 12:24 PM

Jennifer Bellows

Jennifer Bellows

He did a crappy job on this flick.. to much of effects and no concentraition on the storyline he should of fired his script writer to... shame cause the story does have possiablities..

Jan 22 - 09:53 AM

Sidney Alexis

Sidney Alexis

I agree with you Jennifer Bellows. he should fired the writer. I think the actors did a good job, but the story had to much Holes and unanswered question. The script was terrible.

Feb 2 - 08:06 PM

ballermat982

ballermat 982

Looks scary. I'll wait to see what critics say, but I may end up seeing this regardless cuz of Del Toro.

Jan 10 - 07:11 AM

Charlie Dirkx

Charlie Dirkx

Also, just gonna put this out there: Mama looks like a decrepit, female version of Jay Leno with derp eyes.

And she sounds like a weird combination of Predator, Ju-On and Dr. Zoidberg.

Jan 9 - 01:51 PM

Babadook Nyland

Babadook Nyland

Lol it sounds like something that would be enjoyed under the influence of some kind of substance. Which is something I strongly support..

Jan 11 - 01:13 PM

Charlie Dirkx

Charlie Dirkx

Saw it at an advanced screening, it was awful. The dialogue is abysmal and it's literally a series of incredibly predictable jump-scares. The story is full of a bunch of superfluous red herrings and sub-plots that are never really acknowledged or accounted for. The climactic mama-attack scene is kind of creepy as it pretty much comes out of nowhere but other than that, it's really not worth seeing in any way other than to make fun of. It really is GREAT to make fun of, though.

Jan 9 - 01:45 PM

Jennifer Bellows

Jennifer Bellows

I totally agree Charlie.. shame of it all is that this did have a possiablity...when you sit back and really think of it you figure it out however, you should not have to do that... M. Night Shyamanlan on the "the sixth sense" explained everything on the climatic end.. well maybe this director should of done so to. In addtion, I think the acting was surperb considering the dialog they had to say... it was lame and uneffective.. and one minute having the "Anabel charater" act like a teenaged kid one minute and then act like a 40 year old momma the next.. was to corney... it seems there was also alot of editors cuts in this particular flick.. but like I keep saying shame of it all is it really could of been a box office hit..

Jan 22 - 09:59 AM

Garrin Gams

Garrin Gams

Devil's Backbone is one of the all time great ghost stories, this looks like it could be its equal. Can't wait.

Jan 8 - 06:37 PM

ReverendBenzo

Ben Norwood

I'm always a bit wary on the "presented by" thing. Del Toro produced The Orphanage which was great but he also produced Don't Be Afraid of the Dark which was garbage. I might skip it on the theaters but I'm sure I'll catch it on Blu Ray.

Jan 7 - 03:36 AM

Babadook Nyland

Babadook Nyland

I totally forgot about Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. You're right, that was terrible.

Jan 7 - 06:40 AM

Ricky Rodriguez

Ricky Rodriguez

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark was horrible. I'm glad I am not alone in feeling this. haha :)

Jan 14 - 12:26 PM

Babadook Nyland

Babadook Nyland

Lol you definitely aren't, good sir. My rommate and I rented it and we wanted to turn it off

Jan 14 - 02:10 PM

Courtney Dixon

Courtney Dixon

I read that someone saw the screening, and thought it was great! They even liked the ending. That's a shocker with recent horror movies.

Jan 7 - 01:24 AM

Anthony Felix

Anthony Felix

Come on man. The movie is presented by Del Toro, so you know it's going to be scary and good :) Count me in as a definite!

Jan 6 - 12:15 PM

Babadook Nyland

Babadook Nyland

See, that's what I needed to hear lol. My instinct tells that it's going to be awesome.

Jan 6 - 12:33 PM

Jennifer Bellows

Jennifer Bellows

Well if this was his maserpiece then he needs to leave hollywood.. this movie would of been better with out him.. M. Night Shyamalan would of done a better job..

Jan 22 - 10:02 AM

Find us on:                 
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile