Mamma Mia! Reviews

February 3, 2014
Disgusting, awkward and improbable. I guess it captures Abba perfectly...except the band demonstrated better acting abilities in their stage performances. This film was true dreck.
thmtsang
July 14, 2008
Movie based on the musical stage production. A new bride to be invites three men to her wedding - all potentially her father to give her away but who is her dad? ABBA songs are woven throughout the story. You don't know how it fits in but some how it does. Great cast and brilliant music. Some can sing better than others though! Funny and entertaining. Beautiful setting. Feel good Summer movie.
Directors Cat
½ February 7, 2012
The film makers seem to think they can adapt Abba songs into a shakesperean style masterpiece. You can't. It doesn't help the singing is terrible. A lot of people aren't keen on Amanda Seyfried and although she isn't "up there" with let's say...Meryl Streep. I think she's a good actor and she was the only reason that I kept watching Jennifers Body. But this movie apart from a couple songs is crap. It's got one of the weakest plots ever and it's very much forgettable. For a musical, it's not "up there" with Singin in the Rain and it's certainly not The Lion King. In short, it's low brow in every way as i've said. Both it's acting and storyline. What's worse is that it's aimed at the smallest and most idiotic target demographic ever. This movie didn't deserve to make a lot of money and i'll never quite understand why it did.
DreamExtractor
½ March 3, 2011
Great musical, but will never watch again, its just really boring and bad acting, but I came for great music and I guess I got my fill.
murphmann93
June 24, 2011
One of the best musicals!
movieguru12
July 26, 2008
Absolutely, wonderful music told through the wonderful music of ABBA! You'll love it!!! :) :) :)
½ July 18, 2008
Well, here is a movie I never thought I would sit through, but finally I have, due to scoring a free copy.
Well, firstly, to my shock, was not as awful as I expected. Mainly due to Amanda Seyfried. Wow, that girl can sing! The ending of the film was also a pleasant surprise.
Yes, some of the singing is bad, but it's Abba songs, so how good could they ever have been?! (not a fan - was force fed the stuff all through my childhood - my mother loved it). Also Meryl and co put you off ever wanting to be a middle aged woman - wanted to drag her out of those dreadful overalls at start of film. And Julie Walters - truly cringeable.
Not a bad film. Good fun, am glad I saw it.
½ October 1, 2010
I was blown away by the high-energy fun-tastic Abba tunes brought to life by the story of a girl's wedding on a scenic Greek island, and inviting the three men who might be her father. Meryl Streep is superb, as are all the other characters. Pierce Brosnan's singing wasn't too terrible. None of the tunes were bad. It all worked, and didn't disappoint me like that Hairspray movie.
Gx7
May 17, 2008
Meryl Streep and Pierce Brosnan, what a combination! This was just sooo adorable! I recommend mothers to watch this movie with their daughters. Awesome cast, the music definitely fit the story, its such a lovely feel good movie ^_^ !
½ July 17, 2008
I wanted to like it, but it was awful. It was just GOOFY. Not cute goofy, just lame goofy. It made me cringe watching the (surprisingly good) cast wail and flail their way around the musical numbers. Gag.
July 30, 2010
Stupid, stupid plot. Dreadful singing. I regret not having deliberately damaged my hearing while watching this film.
July 17, 2010
Oh, I don't wanna talk, about the things I've gone through, watching this! I like ABBA, but this film is a total bore, what is the point of making a musical where almost no one can sing decently? Trashy, tacky, poorly directed, and Pierce Brosnan barks like a dog while trying to sing!
June 24, 2010
what the hell. D
½ September 22, 2009
I tell you, Roger Ebert is becoming such an old fuddy-duddy. If you like that, Roger? Yeah, Roger, I for one do like ABBA, okay? Since you ask . . . sheesh! But I gotta say, I like ABBA a lot more when they are performing their music in concert, or on the radio, or on CD. Wait, let me back up. I like the idea of taking music and trying to flesh a story out of it. But not this story, and not with this music. I like ABBA by themselves -- with no fabricated story to weave the songs together. I don't particularly care for this movie. When you've watched enough musicals, you begin to get a sense for what it is that makes a good one. You come to understand that you, the viewer, are supposed to give over your accepted perception of reality and give in to the idea that people could actually break into song and dance at any moment in your life. That's a pretty hard give over and give in. It takes a really great musical to make you surrender yourself, to allow for your willing suspension of disbelief to kick in. Never happens in this movie. Totally unbelievable and almost, at times, ridiculous. The only moment at which I actually almost fell into believing what was going on was when Meryl Streep performs "Winner Takes It All." She does a superb job of singing and acting her way through that number. A very moving few minutes. Other than that, this movie gets high marks for its idea, but low marks for pulling it off.
BEACHBUNNI
July 17, 2008
an ok movie i thought some of the acting was weak and some of the singing was more like karoke at the local pub!! didnt like meryl streep in this one!
February 16, 2010
Eh, it was OK. Sure Pierce Brosnan can't sing and the story is ludicrous, but its all in good fun. I'm glad I waited until it came on TV though. I like ABBA's music, so that helped.
LWOODS04
½ April 26, 2009
Meryl Streep, Amanda Seyfried, Julie Walters, Christine Baranski, Dominio Cooper, Pierce Bronsnan, Colin Firth, Stellan Skarsgard

DIRECTED BY: Phyllida Lloyd

The story of a bride-to-be trying to find her real father told using hit songs by the popular '70s group ABBA.

I am the last person to be caught watching any type of a musical. BUT, since everyone was making such a fuss over this film, I thought I would see what it was all about. I have watched some musicals in the past and really didn't like them. I however have came across maybe two that I did like. I was really confused if I liked this movie or not. But I am pretty sure I did enjoy the watch. The story was OK. Character's were very funny. Some of the singing was good, some not so much. But all in all a fun movie that I don't think took itself very seriously. I think that made me like it more. Cause if it was trying to be serious and I somehow missed that, then this movie didn't pull that off at all. Great performances by all the actors. The ending with the little concert that was put on got entirely hillarious when the three male leads came on in those Elvis inspired outfits. Just too funny. So even if your not a musical kinda person like myself, you may still enjoy this movie. It's very funny. Honestly, I was going to turn it off thirty minutes in, but it got better. So give it a try just to see if this one can change your mind on liking at least one musical. :)
ScoopOnline
December 8, 2009
Not bad
October 8, 2009
ABBA ruined! Well done you stupid cows
½ August 6, 2008
Okay, it was totaly FANTASTIC. Actually, it's not such a great movie, but that is what makes it so great. It's so corny that it reels you in loike you wouldn't believe. Plus, you have to love ABBA music. : )