Man of La Mancha - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Man of La Mancha Reviews

½ October 4, 2010
I saw the play in 1969, and heard the soundtrack for the movie and thought it was horrible -- Peter O'Toole couldn't carry a note in a bucket, and Sophia Loren was just windo-dressing -- So I watched the movie on TV today (Oct 4, 2010) -- All I said above, I retract -- the movie made me cry as much as the play did -- My all time fav song is still "The Impossible Dream" -- So I repent of my cynicism of the past and really LIKE the movie! ENJOY -- Tom
May 23, 2009
Imprisoned, awaiting a hearing before the Spanish Inquisition on a trumped-up charge of heresy, Miguel de Cervantes is put on trial by his fellow prisoners, who threaten to destroy the unfinished manuscript of Don Quixote unless he can prove to them it is worth saving. Cervantes stages an enactment of the novel as his defence, with himself as the knight errant, his manservant as Sancho Panza and the other inmates taking the supporting roles.

To be honest, I was expecting to hate this film and I was pleasantly surprised by it. It's worth seeing for Peter O'Toole and Sophia Loren's performances alone. Contrary to a lot of negative criticism I've read about Loren's poor singing, I think her limited ability suits her character perfectly well, and O'Toole lip-syncs his vocal stand-in so enthusiastically, I couldn't be certain he hadn't performed his own songs until I checked afterwards. That said, apart from the overused showstopper (The Impossible Dream), the songs are instantly forgettable. As with a lot of international co-productions, the conflicting accents of the cosmopolitan cast are a constant source of distraction.
March 26, 2009
I story about a man that saw things as they should be and not as they were. Peter O'Toole, Sophia Loren and James Coco are all extremely wonderful in this movie.
November 21, 2008
Visually impressive and perfectly cast; Peter OToole and Sophia Loren are superb and a joy to watch. Although the story has wonderful moments, it's ultimately a dull, plodding tale with a depressing tone. More entertaining than the book, but still not enough for me.
October 23, 2008
Very hard to get into in the beginning, but it gets really good. Especially the randomness and hilarity of the evil windmill. There is much randomness to this movie. Actually, I really need someone to explain the ending to me, because I do not understand it at all.
October 21, 2008
not the best movie ever, but i liked it :D don quixote is a very likeable character and the songs are contagious. however, the beginning seemed to drag on a little too long, and was sort of difficult to understand. and i didnt like the ending of their play, but i enjoyed the ending of the film itself. very sad but cute. overall, good movie.
September 13, 2007
i love peter o'toole...i still am not sure why...but i do. This movie in no way is "straight from the book." Just some bits and pieces thrown in jumbled sort of way. but it was a good look at the author and his creation. Cervantes did actually think up the first part od Don Quixote while he was imprisoned!!!
October 15, 2007
One of my top 3 musicals of all time. I've taken so much away from it and the story of Don Quixote is always great
½ September 7, 2007
man of la mancha is one of my most hated films ever. it's one of the worst musicals of all time. it's bggest failure is how awful an adaptation of don quixote it is. the story of don quixote is a funny dark wonderful and spirited. man of la mancha makes me want to drive my forhead into some pavement. i can't watch it it's just too aggrivating and obnoxious. the songs are ridiculous the actingis terrible. the film is even too unpleasent to be considered campy. man of la mancha grates my nerves.

i want to see a great don quixote film. the story hasthe potential to be extremely beautiful. not this silly faux mel brooks garbadge.
July 18, 2007
The best Don Quixote adaptation out there. O'Toole is brilliant as always and a young Sophia Loren burns up the screen.
½ July 6, 2007
I thought this film was very good. Peter O'Toole portrayed Don Quijote very well. I highly recommend this movie to anyone currently in a Spanish class.
April 25, 2007
To dream the impossible dream ... Perfection of stage or screen. O'Toole, Loren, and Coco are magic!
March 28, 2007
Ignoring the singing (I've been told that O'Toole didn't actually sing in it anyway), this movie is most entertaining--one of the few movies with Sophia Loren I can stomach. O'Toole is an ideal Don Quixote.
½ March 21, 2007
I like this movie for it's own sake. However, P O'Toole and S Loren cannot sing this extraordinary music. So watch the movie and then buy a CD with real singers who will thrill you with this music.
½ March 4, 2007
The music in the show is so good, but this movie's a disaster! Peter O'Tool singing? AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!
January 23, 2007
One of the most meaningful movies around, with some of the best commentary on life. Too bad most people won't watch it because they think it's just a musical. This movie has the most "quotable" lines of any I've seen. One late night, my daughter came home from a date. I was sitting in front of the TV, pausing the movie and writing down all the quotables. She laughed and said, "You've got to be the only one in the world who takes notes of Man of La Mancha!" This musical excells in every area except the music.
October 30, 2006
Like it, but now whenever I hear it, Linda Eder's version of the theme song gets stuck in my head. And THAT's very' annoying.
August 7, 2006
One of the most beautiful stories ever written and the music along with it is just as perfect. Peter O'Toole really brings Don Quixote to life
April 24, 2006
One of my all time favorites!! This is such a neat story! Don Quixote and I are definitely kindred spirits!
March 27, 2015
Only just seen it on TCM. Innovative production. Enjoyed it very much and the words of "Impossible Dream" are most edifying, but, then, I could be a Don Quixote!