95% Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Jul 11

43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

The Man from Utah Reviews

manly500usa
January 7, 2008
The Marshal sends John Weston to a rodeo to see if he can find out who is killing the rodeo riders who are about to win the prize money. Barton has organized the rodeo and plans to leave with all the prize money put up by the townspeople. When it appears that Weston will beat Barton's rider, he has his men prepare the same fate for him that befell the other riders.
April 27, 2012
The Man from Utah (Robert N. Bradbury, 1935)

One of the many, many two-reel westerns Robert N. Bradbury directed for Lone Star Pictures featuring a young John Wayne, a young Yakima Canutt, and Gabby Hayes, who was never young. I've watched quite a few of these over the past few years, and I often refrain from reviewing them (I review all features, but very few shorts, and my personal line for that division is sixty minutes), but this one being of average quality, I figured I'd use it as an indicator for much of the batch (and for the pictures Wayne and various other members of this band of merry men were also making for Republic Pictures at the same time).

The plot is pretty generic, as far as John Wayne Lone Star westerns are concerned: Wayne plays John Weston, a rodeo star sent underocver by the U. S. Marshals (bet you can't guess what state he's from!) to investigate corruption in the annual rodeo in a small Arizona town. Seems every time someone from out of town looks like they're about to win the top prize, they end up dead, and the Marshals want to know why. Things get more complex when a pair of outlaws rob the safe containing the prize money, and Weston, having discovered the crime, is walked in on and immediately assumed to be the thief.

Nothing here out of the ordinary-Wayne gets a chance to show off some of his trick riding skills (though obvious body doubles are used for some shots for both Wayne and Canutt), the criminals are dunderheads, the good guy wins in the end. If you're a fan of the genre, this will work for you. If you're not, it won't. Simple. **
vader_of_vjun
September 19, 2006
...Lone Star junk. Why the hell do I keep watching these?