Man in the Wilderness Reviews

½ November 7, 2011
A slow, grim, and ultimately uplifting film with a few decent twists. Nothing to watch again, but it has my respect.
½ August 23, 2008
One of the most interesting and dramatic roles I have seen Richard Harris in. Left for dead, Harris travels across the country side to find the man who left him alone to die, and through his journey witnesses both death and life through his own eyes on other people. What drives this man to the end to keep going? Reminded me of the Tom Hanks film, CAST AWAY, but with a different setting.
One of the top Richard Harris classics!
June 24, 2008
I like this movie, even though, it is an old movie. "Zack Bass', is actually based on a real person and the event is based on an actual event; just some Hollywood embellishing.
½ April 5, 2015
Richard Harris was a great actor back in the 70s and this film showcases his talent as a lead actor. Hollywood is remaking this film with Leonardo DiCaprio entitled "The Relevant," with acclaimed Mexican director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu (Birdman). If you get a chance, check out the original.
March 25, 2015
I really liked this movie, but I can see how someone would find it boring. He spends the first act face down in the mud. The only complaint I have is I didn't like how everyone was terrified of this guy. I mean, if you're that afriad of him coming back to kill you why would you leave him there for dead in the first place? Even though the movie is already slow and uneventful enough, I think if he was just some normal guy who they didn't fear so much and didn't see coming, it could have made the movie better. But I did like the fact that the fear of the man reminded me of the fear people had for Rambo in the First Blood.
½ November 26, 2013
I told you. He ain't human.

A group of trappers out in the wilderness are lead by an eccentric man named Zachary Bass. He lived a troubled life, out on his own, broke, and living off the land. He married once, but his wife died shortly after giving birth. He left his family life behind, including his daughter, and returned to the wilderness. While leading the trappers, Zach is mauled by a grizzly bear and left for dead, by the bear and the trappers. Zach nurses himself back to health and heads for revenge.

"It was god's will."
"I never much agreed with god's will."

Richard Sarafian, director of Vanishing Point (1971), Gangster Wars, Splendor in the Grass (1981), The Bear, Eye of the Tiger, and Street Justice, delivers Man in the Wilderness. The storyline for this picture is real clever and an interesting character portrayal. The settings are well done but I felt the film was a bit slow. The acting is very good and the cast includes John Huston, Richard Harris, Henry Wilcoxon, Percy Herbert, and James Doohan.

"He was about the only man I ever respected...ever feared."

I DVR'd this picture because it was tied to one of my favorite Hollywood personalities, John Huston. He was an amazing director and an interesting character films. This film is no different where he played "Captain Henry." I did enjoy aspects of this film, especially the characters, but I felt the pace was a little off and this could have had more action. Also, the guy in the bear suit at the beginning was a bit much. Overall, this is just above average but not a must see.

"I'm going home."

Grade: B-
½ March 24, 2013
GREATEST HARRIS AND HUSTON ...A EPIC FILM...HARRIS ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC..
½ August 15, 2012
Good movie. It reminds a lot of jeremiah johnson but a year or so earlier..
May 26, 2010
Considering it's age, this film holds up well. A bit contrived, but Harris plays "pain" as well as any actor and this film gives him a lot to work with. Fun to watch John Huston at work. Well worth the time to watch.