• R, 2 hr. 2 min.

April 11, 2007
cagney is great in this
Anthony V

July 9, 2008
A compelling look at early Hollywood with an outstanding performance from Cagney.
December 22, 2009
Absolutely dramatic storytelling. Admittedly I have a vested interest in both James Cagney and Lon Chaney. Yeah, Cagney doesn't really look like Chaney at all but he was the man of a thousand faces. Why not one more? As you'd expect James Cagney is amazing in the role. He inhabits all the things Chaney was. The parts of his life the screenplay chooses to show are well timed and done with prestige. Starting with his childhood brought up by deaf parents and his career as a song-and-dance man, all the way up through his turn as Quasimodo. This was, after all, rushed into production as a tribute to the man. I think he'd be proud.
Brody M

November 6, 2009
The only thing I can think of is........WOW.What an awesome movie!!! It truly shows you what a GREAT actor Cagney is
jam233
October 31, 2009
Cagney?s excellent performance enhances this interesting biography of Lon Chaney. It?s a very well crafted film, good direction by Joseph Pevney, but it is Cagney?s film all the way. Moving and always interesting.
jeremybarmstrong
March 21, 2009
Such an amazing film. James Cagney does a wonderful job of portraying Lon Chaney. Although their are some inaccuracies, I would certainly recommend this film to anyone.
September 29, 2007
This is a great classicThe story of Lon Chaney

Plot: A chronicle of the life of Lon Chaney, born the son of deaf-mute parents, who rose to become Hollywood's master of horror and disguise in the silent screen with his extraordinary gifts as a makeup art...( read more read more... )ist.
moviempress
June 4, 2008
A pretty good Cagney film often overlooked. Cagney does a very good job of showing the hard times Chaney had, however the film does not really explore Chaney's craft at all.
October 6, 2006
Wonderful film!!! Dramatic and touching--the whole family will enjoy it. The Lon Chaney story is one that needed to be told. The adversity of his childhood helped mold a determined man who changed the face of film. It's a wonderful and inspiring story.
July 31, 2007
An amazing film. Cagney does an amazing job with the role of Chaney and the depictions of Chaney's most famous costumes are incredibly true to the original form. I thought the choice of Robert Evans as Irving Thalberg to string the film together was an interesting, and incredibly true to life one if you don't research too much into Evans. :) One of my all-time favorite films.
wizardoftacoma
December 27, 2006
A chronicle of the life of Lon Chaney, One of the many greats classic from Hollywood's golden age this remains one of the best. film with performances by James Cagney
Robyn M.
August 15, 2013
Other reviewers have knocked the film because it is not historically accurate and I can't dispute that. But for me, James Cagney's performance makes this a film that is a must-see. True, the film is short on depicting Lon Chaney's film characters and although we do get to see Cagney in makeup as the Hunchback of Notre Dame and The Phantom of the Opera, the scenes are extremely brief. Most of the film depicts Chaney's conflict with his first wife, wonderfully played by the stunning Dorothy Malone - whew, what a knockout!- and the stormy/ intense relationship with his son.
September 16, 2012
Cagney is perfect. The film is a bit to long but I would watch it anytime for that great star.
May 26, 2012
up until recently i hadn't seen many james cagney films. and the ones i had seen, didn't give me the impression that he had a lot of range. "man of a thousand faces" is the second film in a row of his i have seen recently that has made me feel i was completely wrong about him. he was a man with a lot of talent, that this film takes full advantage of. cagney plays lon chaney, a silent film star, who i hadn't previously heard of. the film is very sad and touching and one that many film classic lovers will enjoy.
May 18, 2012
Great central performance by James Cagney makes this worth seeing. Though the film is not factual, it does have a lot of merit in bringing Lon Chaney's remarkable talents to light.
jazza923