Man of the Year Reviews

January 1, 2012
Friend and fellow Flixster reviewer, Scott Wilson, asserts that Man of the Year "couldn't decide what kind of movie it was going to be," and I agree, in so much as it does shift tones a lot. It goes from irreverent comedy to political satire to whimsical romance to schizoparanoid thriller, but I find the shifts suspenseful and entertaining.

The usually crass and bombastic Robin Williams is so genteel and streamlined as the television news comedian turned presidential candidate. He's even a bit of a stud when Eleanor Green enters the picture. He and Laura Linney seem to have good chemistry, perhaps by virtue of Linney's not-necessarily-loving but definitely-tension-filled gaze. Her drug-induced breakdown is quite alarming, going from 0 to 60 and back with her different intonations of "I've got it. I've got it! I'VE GOT IT! ... I've got it."
½ November 2, 2007
I think this film is based on Al Franken's run for senator, or a hypotehtical scenario where Jon Stewart decides that he's had enough of pointing out bungling and decides to do a little himself. But imagine that character is played by Robin Williams and he actually wins. It's hard to tell if this film was trying to be a comedy driven by Williams' persona and performance or whether it was supposed to be a drama about corporate election rigging and fraud. It was kind of both and a lot of neither, at times. It's pretty good, but I think it might have been better if it had come down on one side or the other. And if it had been a drama, it should have been devoid of Williams.
½ August 3, 2010
I believe they made to make this something of a cross between a thriller and a comedy, but it's just lacking, and abysmally strange.
January 25, 2010
Some parts are none stop hilarity! After a while it get's very boring, and scary! Does not work too well! But I still like it!
sanjurosamurai
½ February 25, 2007
very good because it raises interesting questions. more serious of a movie than the previews made it look, but it was very funny and robin williams was incredible.
November 19, 2009
It was a disturbing blend of comedy and a thriller about government conspiracy cover-ups. Robin Williams and Laura Linney were decent, but it wasn't either's best efforts. The story was the true downfall of this movie, completely changing out of left field. It would've been best if they had just stuck with one genre.
December 21, 2008
#11 Man Of The Year
On a lark, this late-night talk show host decides to run for office. Amazingly, he gets elected. Williams, in all his looniness, comes across as a likable guy. It?s always a pleasure to see stuffed-shirt posturing lose out to common sense in a debate.
President Speak: "Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason."
March 27, 2008
An OK movie. It is too bad American politics is not like this - where a straight talking guy can actually win the presidential race.
½ January 31, 2008
The show was not bad. Robin Williams, Christopher Walken, and Lewis Black are the only things that keep it that way though. There great acting comedy roles, saves the movie from being a total bore.
Otherwise, what presented it self as a comedy turned more into a drama about messed up election counts.
Good for polititians, but, not so good for anyone who does not like almost pure Dialogue. (Its seriously the only thing that is funny in this movie).
I might be wrong, but im willing to bet the people behind the creation of this movie was all from the democratic party.
½ July 24, 2007
A lot better than I expected. Much funnier, for sure.
SilentWarProductions2009
½ May 15, 2007
Directed by: Barry Levinson.
Starring: Robin Williams, Christopher Walken, Laura Linney, Jeff Goldblum.

Lets stat a few things first....before this film was released, everyone saw the film as comedy because of the way it was marketed....once the film was released, it was mistreated by a lot of critics and viewers saying how the film had 'false advertising', now I will agree to some extent that yes, that is true but is the world truly still that stupid? People should know that trailers are made by completely different people to the filmmakers, hense why there are great movies out there with bad trailers and vice versa, so it should be obvious now that you should not judge a movie by its trailer.....but also false advertising is everywhere in the world and you don't see anyone moaning about that.....weight loss machines that say "Lose 10 pounds in days", toothpaste ads saying that there product WILL make your teeth whiter compared to 'other products'. So you can just see how stupid the world really is, when they moan about a film being false advertised, yet they will buy these other products, find out there false and then.....not complain. Now that my point is across, down to my review (SOME MINOR SPOILERS)...

I did go into this film with an open mind, due to everything I just said and I came out more then satisfied and very surprised. Now I will stat the bad things first....there are some flaws in the story, one example is how is it that a billion+ people in the world didn't see a possible glitch with the final polling results and only one person did? And also the film does try to aim for many genres and as a whole can be seen as a bit 'genre confused'.....but no one can deny that all this sections of the film are actually brilliant. Barry Levinson, although I have only seen his recent crap and not his old classics, he surprised me here and showed that he is back in form, he covers romance, political drama, thriller and comedy very well, aside from the romantic sub-plot, the political ideas covered are extremely thoughtful, well written and very true, the thrills keep you slightly on the edge of your seat during the second quarter and the comedy is sharp, full of charm and very funny....and the latter is all thanks to Robin Williams. Not since Mrs Doubtfire has he been at his very best....to be honest, I think it was his best, with some of the humour obviously being improvised and full of charm and sharp wit.....and truth.

To me, the film succeeded all my expectations, there are some flaws with the story and also.......well read the top half of my review and you'll know my other thoughts. Underrated.
October 25, 2006
Just kind of an average and unremarkable movie. Robin Williams just generally acts like himself. I laughed a few times, but that was about it. Williams, Black and Walken (who has very little credibility to coast on, by the way) just showed up for the paychecks I'm sure. Jeff Goldblum was either godawful or grossly underused--I can't decide which. But one thing I will say for Man of the Year is that it wasn't what I was expecting. Okay, it was for the most part, but the whole Laura Linney storyline came from out of left field. Don't go out of your way to see it and you shouldn't be TOO disappointed. (Oh, and I'm giving it 2 as opposed to 3 stars because Tina Fey and Amy Poehler showed up towards the end. They could've shown up in Battlefield Earth and I'd be happy. But that's just me...)
½ June 8, 2007
Much better than people give it credit for. As in Williams and Levinson's first movie together (Good Morning Vietnam), most of Williams's comedy is unscripted.
½ October 12, 2006
A very good film with an interesting story and a well developed plot. Great cast Robin Williams at his best, the way he makes comedy is unique and in this movie the way he mocks the political issues happening nowadays is excellent, Christopher Walken is also very good, he is one of the best actors of the present, Laura Linney delivers a good performance and Jeff Goldblum with a secundary role but very convincing and important to the story.
March 8, 2007
This was a good movie but it was poorly marketed. It's not really a comedy like the studio would have you belive. It's more drama with a few funny statements. I think most people will watch it and be a little disappointed, not because it was a bad movie, because it wasn't what they sat down to watch.
sainttom93
½ January 14, 2007
VERY funny!
MissMorganLeee
½ October 22, 2006
funny did he make this before or after rehab?
October 7, 2006
When I first saw the trailer for this, I was pretty sure that it was given it's comical tone appealing to mass audiences, only to find that it would be much smarter than it looked upon viewing it. I was right to an extent. Robin Williams and Barry Levinson can both make smart movies, they have before with Good Morning Vietnam, which was funny and had a good story to back it up. Levinson also made the political satire Wag the Dog, which is a much better movie. Here the problem relies in it's tone. For some reason it has this side plot that drains the movie of it's humor. It involves Jeff Goldblum talking in a fast, nonsensicle terms. Robin Williams does what he can, but a lot of the jokes fall flat. It's got Chris Walken, but he's not given enough to do, besides narrate and give fatherly advice to Williams. Lewis Black probably does the best at balancing both tones of the movies, but nothing really comes together or gels right in the end.
½ June 8, 2012
Man of the Year is a fun and entertaining political comedy full of clever satire. It's the story of a political satirist who runs for president and wins, or so he thinks until a whistleblower reveals that his election was a fraud. The cast is full of wonderful comedic talents, including Robin Williams, Christopher Walken, Laura Linney, and Jeff Goldblum; who all give great performances. The satire is well-crafted, without being too didactic, and the film takes itself serious enough that it doesn't devolve into a farce. The story has a few glitches, but Man of the Year manages to be entertaining and hilariously fun.