Man on a Ledge Reviews

½ September 23, 2011
"I really liked this. I wasn't blown away with it, but it was close to being great. I enjoyed the story. I thought the way they planned it all was very smart. I was even surprised by the ending when their in the bar. I didn't catch on to who the bartender would end up being. I love a good crime thriller and this one delivers. I thought Worthington and Bell were really good in this. I wish Burns would have been used a little bit more. Kyra had a small part too, but it fitted. I love Ed Harris too. The movie has a wide range of good actors in the movie. I think without them the film would have failed. They story unfolds as it goes and I never felt lost. I guess your suppose to have an aha moment, but unfortunately some of the suspense was guessed pretty easily. But still this was one of the better thrillers I have seen lately. I would definitely see this again."
½ November 1, 2012
two and a half...
½ October 19, 2012
Not as bad as the reviews. It kept me interested.
February 18, 2012
A man (Sam) walks onto a hotel ledge, ready to jump. He is an ex-cop who escaped from prison to prove his innocence. Exciting thriller. Great cast. If you like Inside Man or Phonebooth you will like this movie.
October 3, 2012
An interesting thriller that really kept me involved and wanted to know what's going to happen next. Whilst it's not perfect and there were many times I could guess what was going to happen but I really enjoyed the premise.
February 6, 2012
A good action packed movie, with plenty of suspense and twists as it wound its way into the actual reason for Sam Worthington being on the ledge. The supporting actors of Elizabeth Banks, Ed Burns, Jamie Bell, and Ed Harris had plenty of chances to excel, and I think that they all did well. Nicely done movie...
½ September 25, 2011
Despite an intriguing premise and some neat ideas, as well as a cast of rather notable (and some pretty talented) individuals, this is by and large, a rather flat, generic, and routine suspense thriller that doesn't thrill, or hammer home the suspense as much as it ought to.

Ex- cop and wanted fugitive Nick Cassidy plants himself out on the ledge of a high rise building while a troubled NYPD negotiator tries to talk him down, and quell some of her personal demons. It's a very simple set up, and in the hands of the right person, they could make a great film using just this set up alone. However, in a neat move, this set up is merely a pawn in a scheme for Cassidy to clear his name and settle an old score, complete with a few twists along the way. I'm okay with this, but I just wish it could have been handled and presented better.

Sam Worthington agreed to this, finding the script intriguing, and also as a good way to try to get over his own fear of heights. In fact, in many shots, he, and the other actors are doing their own stunt work on an actual ledge on location, with the filmmakers using creative ways (both digitally and practically) to hide the wires and harness. That's cool. What's not cool is the by the numbers and phoned in performances. Worthington tries his best on all fronts, but he is a little too underwhelming. It doesn't help that his accent slips in a few times too many.

I felt that Elizabeth Banks and Edward Burns fared better, doing the best they could with typical archetypal roles that don't really stray too far from the mold. Ed Harris does add some gravitas, but again, he's not given much to work with, and Alan Alda did a far better job in a similar role in the similar Tower Heist. Also, I love Kyra Sedgwick, but was she really needed for this? Her appearance seemed really random and pointless, especially given her caliber and level of recognition.

So yeah, the movie is dumb fun, typical Hollywood popcorn crap, and while I ultimately don't think it's that great, I didn't hate it. It's not boring, there's some cool scenes and good ideas, and it takes a simple idea and tries to run with it in a neat way. It's just a shame that it really falls flat and fails to be as compelling and, more importantly gripping as the set up implies it should be.
½ August 4, 2012
good movie full of excitement, and the was cast so good. action packed even though it centers around a guy on a ledge... I liked it.
½ July 25, 2012
Asger Leth's Man on a Ledge lives up to its name. Just maybe not in the best possible way.With 100 minutes of screen time to fulfill, the plot for this picture is adequate enough to get by. What happens elsewhere in the story apart from this man on a ledge is somewhat intriguing, although not exactly gripping. As for the man on the ledge himself, his piece is amusing in the early going, before leading to a forgettable finale.It is disappointing because the man on a ledge concept definitely has its potential. The way it was handled just wasn't the best route. It wasn't a bad one; just not great.Sam Worthington works with what he has and while everything revolves around him, Elizabeth Banks is the star of the show. The rest of the supporting cast are overshadowed by Worthington's and Banks' characters, although Genesis Rodriguez is extremely easy on the eyes.As a whole, Man on a Ledge never gets exciting or thrilling enough, which eventually adds up to mild entertainment.
½ July 1, 2012
Man on a Ledge is a well made thriller with a pretty good cast. I very much loved the film, and thought it was a fun viewing experience. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this film. I thought that it had a few weak moments, which made the film a tad weak, but for the most part, this one succeeded at being a fun thrill ride from start to finish. Though the film is never every really original, it's still a fun, mindless actioner. I found Sam Worthington to be very good here, and he gave his best performance of his career. The film goes from being decent to very good, but it does suffer because of its attempt at humor. Genesis Rodriguez for me really brought down the film, and it made Man on a Ledge a bit silly. However if you're looking for a good little film to watch, then this is pulse pounding entertainment that will have you on the edge of your seat from start to finish. I agree that the film could have been better, but for the most part, it succeeds very well at delivering thrills. Sometimes that's all you need, a pleasant time waster to watch. With a good cast of actors, Man on a Ledge is lots of fun. Go in with an open mind, you may be surprised at how good this film is. The film manages to be good considering its flaws, and in the end you just don't care about its faults because there's always the excitement factor to keep you hooked. Not nearly as good as other films in the genre, nonetheless Man on a Ledge provides some good entertainment and is a must see if you love action films. In the end, this film has its flaws, but you end not caring because it's just so much fun to watch. Even if it's nothing original, it still manages to be quite thrilling and the cast do a pretty good job to keep you interested.
½ June 28, 2012
I actually liked this movie even though the rating looks poor. Maybe it's not the best movie to recommend but it wasn't that boring.
½ June 25, 2012
Nick Cassidy: Today is the day when everything changes. One way or another.

"You Can Only Push An Innocent Man So Far"

Man on a Ledge did exactly what I expected and what I wanted. It entertained the hell out of me. A lot of the plot elements are rather silly and the film isn't what you'd call intelligent, but I'm fine with that. I didn't expect anything more from Man on a Ledge. All I wanted was for it to be entertaining, and it was. Man on a Ledge is a solid thriller. It has moments of downtime, but not too much. For the most part, it is a quick moving and extremely fun thriller. There are some good actors involved here too. None of them are at their best for a silly little movie like this, but their good enough.

Nick Cassidy was imprisoned for a crime he didn't commit. So he breaks out of prison, gets a hotel room on the 21st floor, and threatens to kill himself. All of this is obviously a diversion, so that he can prove his innocence. From that short little plot description, you should easily be able to understand what this movie is trying to be. The film would be extremely easy to criticize. It's unrealistic and impossible, but that would be missing the point. Who cares if it's impossible or not? It's one hell of a ride.

It's pretty slickly made with some really cool sequences involving running and jumping from ledges to other ledges. There's some dangling off of a building while holding onto a tact team member. There's also moments of tense and suspense, but you pretty much know from the offset how this story is going to end. I don't believe the writer or the director are trying to hide a whole lot with this story.

It's not going to win any awards, but that shouldn't surprise you. This is one of those early in the year movies that aren't expected to get great reviews or be in the Oscar hunt. It's made to do one thing, and that is entertain people who will let it entertain them. I gave in quickly and I am happy I did. I ended up really enjoying the film.
June 7, 2012
The very best movie I have seen in 2012. I only wish I had seen it on the big screen. The action never stops. A Cop is set up and has to break out of prison to prove he is innocent. Not a bad actor in this film, its over the top. 5 stars
January 21, 2012
An entertaining and utterly preposterous heist thriller that builds up anticipation only to bring it crashing down with a rushed an unsatisfying conclusion. The build up is pretty well done and the pace is almost perfect, but all of that goes to waste almost instantly when things are resolved in such a manner that people will be shaking their heads in disappointment after being into the movie for the first 80 or so minutes. The performances are average all around except for Ed Harris, who is lackluster and typecast. He isn't given much to do, so it may not be his fault. It's just too bad the movie had to go and ruin the goodwill earned up until the final 15-20 minutes because it really makes you want to like it.
May 20, 2012
"You can only push an innocent man so far."

An ex-cop turned con threatens to jump to his death from a Manhattan hotel rooftop. The police then dispatches a female police psychologist personally requested to talk him down from the ledge.

Nick (Sam Worthington) is an escaped convict out on a ledge outside an hotel room in the city, with a crowd below waiting for him to jump. Lydia (Elizabeth Banks) is the negotiator trying to talk him down. But he is actually engaged in a distraction, buying time for his brother Joey (Jamie Bell) and girlfriend Angie (Genesis Rodrigues) to steal a diamond from high powered ruthless crook David Englander (Ed Harris) within a high-tech security system in a neighbouring building, this being the key to his freedom. The first thing for me to say is that this film does not merit close examination - in the cold light of day it falls apart in your hands. It has an air about of a film which was developed entirely from the title - "Man on a Ledge is a great name for a movie - now, who is he, and why is he on a ledge?". So, please, don't go into this expecting it to make vast amounts of sense: it doesn't. Conversely, if you go in with a bag of popcorn and your brain in neutral, you are likely to have a good deal of fun, because this is a good natured action thriller with good action, lots of suspense, some twists and turns, Ed Harris as a pantomime villain, and decent turns from the principals.
October 6, 2011
An instant classic. An awesome, pulse-pounding, hold on to your seat and full-throttle edge of your seat thriller that dosent let up for a minute. It`s wickedly original and furiously entertaining. A breathtaking and mind-blowing roller-coaster ride. It`s smart, fresh, funny, excting and loaded with shocking twist and nail-biting turns. An adrenilane-charged thriller that keeps our mind and your heart racing with suspense, surprising humor and non-stop action. This movie delivers the goods, i loved it. A sharply written, expertly crafted and brilliantly performanend film. An explosive and spectacular film. It`s hands down the most exciting new thriller of the new year. This film just rocks and rocks all the way to the end. An amazing all-star cast. Sam Worthinton has never been better, he gives another strong and outstanding performance. I just love watching him on the screen. Elizabeth Banks is terrific.
April 14, 2012
I love heist movies. Whether is comedies like the "Oceans" movies, or serious like "Inside Man". People stealing stuff just usually makes for exciting movies. "Man on a Ledge" however is a very mediocre heist movie at best. Basically, it's about a man on a ledge( :-) ). A fugitive(Sam Worthington) goes out on a ledge of a building in New York in an attempt to prove his innocence of a crime he was found guilty for. I'd say more, but it would kind of give away key plot points. But really, after the first half hour, you'll either have it figured out and just go with it, or you'll think it's pretty bad. Worthington is not that good of an actor. He does good in some of his action movies, but realistically, he is very bland, and has trouble carrying the movie. Put Liam Neesan in this role, and man this could have been great. The rest of the cast is good, but just a ho-hum story and very uneven. Starts out kind of like "Phone Booth"(which I love!), and just goes down hill from there. I'd say it's ok for a watch, but keep expectations low.
March 25, 2012
'Man on a Ledge' is sometimes tense, but usually boring, and its dragged down by unconvincing performances and a lackluster script. The premise is different and intriguing, but the script has no idea where to go from there. It's a mildly enjoyable film, but it never surmounts to anything unique or purposeful.
½ February 10, 2012
It's funny how this movie literally gets worse and worse as it goes along. First 3 minutes...intriguing. From there, ''Man on a Ledge'' goes way, WAY downhill.