The Man with One Red Shoe - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Man with One Red Shoe Reviews

blkbomb
July 11, 2012
Cooper: Honey, will you please - what are the odds of the Russians attacking on a Thursday night?

The Man with One Red Shoe reminds me of another comedy called The Man Who Knew Too Little starring Bill Murray. Both films deal with someone being suspected of bring a spy, that has absolutely no idea what is going on. I enjoyed The Man Who Knew Too Little more then I did this one. The Man with One Red Shoe is enjoyable to a degree, because of Tom Hanks presence and also because of a woman named Lori Singer who plays a spy; and she is sexy. This is early, early Tom Hanks; way before he became a star. It's even pre-Big. Still, even early on in his career, he's still the likable actor we would come to see in much bigger and better movies.

Richard is a violinist who is thought to be a spy. In reality, he was just picked at random to be a scapegoat. The CIA, thinking he really is a spy, starts trailing him, little to his knowledge. One of the CIA agents that is trailing him is the sexy spy I was talking about. Richard falls for her, as she flirts with him to gain information. This isn't a plot that is going to make you think, nor is it going to be one that is original. The Man with One Red Shoe is a highly predictable film. In fact, it ends up being a pretty standard romantic comedy with a botched thriller finale. The movie was light on the comedy and the thriller, suspense aspect of it was just embarrassing.

This is only really worth the watch if you are a huge Tom Hanks fan and feel like you need to see everything he ever did. He's okay here as well, so if that's the only reason you want to watch it, go ahead. Just know that the movie on the whole is extremely mediocre. Take away Hanks and Singer and there is absolutely nothing of merit here. This plot could have been fun, in an unoriginal way, but it just couldn't deliver on the jokes like The Man Who Knew Too Little did.
½ September 6, 2010
I saw this a long time ago, I don't remember why I didn't like it, I'll have to see it again some time.
½ August 15, 2010
Good cast in this old Hanks flick much like many old 80's films you find allot of well known faces throughout which does add to the film and gives it a good solid base unlike many new films. The plot isn't too original and the film isn't too exciting but its entertaining enough with Hanks being goofy and lovable as he used to be in the 'Splash' era, James Belushi has afew nice moments and there is some nice fluffy 'action' sequences that give it abit more spice but overall its very tame and dated now of course, nice but weak.
deano
½ April 14, 2007
An American remake of the French comedy The Tall Blond Man with One Black Shoe is so funny. Tom Hanks is nearly the whole show. Jim Belushi and Carrie Fisher also provide some hearty laughs.
jjnxn
May 4, 2007
sleep inducing so called comedy, well we all have to start somewhere.
garyX
½ March 5, 2007
I have no idea whether this is supposed to be a comedy or a thriller. But it works as neither, so who cares?
sanjurosamurai
January 23, 2007
pretty decent flick if you like the old school tom hanks stuff
Cameron W. Johnson
½ January 26, 2011
Likable, yes, though the movie is still slightly confusing in its story, with some periodic dull moments and oddly high sound editing. Still, Hanks is good as usual and his performance is also joined by humor and a fairly good soundtrack in the list of pros. Really, "The Man With One Red Shoe" isn't the best, but its short but well-filled lengh, confusing but still rather straightfoward premise and other high points make it worth watching on a rainy day.
½ January 9, 2009
Very weird and slightly corny. Also a little confusing.
iLeo
½ December 12, 2007
Hilarious!
May 2, 2008
Good movie a little confusing but extremely funny that of which is only hightened by tom hanks's natural wit and talent.
½ October 18, 2007
An eclectic piano player gets randomly involved with the CIA because he stands out at the wrong place at the wrong time... and thats just the beginning.
July 2, 2007
Ridiculous and funny. I like the 80's Hanks films they are so different from the superstar films he has done in the last decade.
May 23, 2007
An age-old formula. Take a goofy white guy with a good heart and put him in trouble with the law, in this case, the CIA. They start chasing him. He goes bananas. We're supposed to laugh at his predicament. He tries to solve the mystery. Blah, blah, blah.
½ April 10, 2007
I LOVE this movie! My favorite part is when he gets back from the dentist and they've screwed everything up in his house. So he brushes his teeth with shampoo! HILARIOUS
January 31, 2007
tom hanks isnt ver star int his movie. i like him and think he is funny and this movie is fun but its not the best
June 15, 2006
One of those 80's Tom Hanks films that isn't that great but people flocked to simply because it was Hanks.... back when he was still doing comedy.
April 14, 2006
Ah, the good old days when Tom Hanks was just a B movie actor. Oh just what crazy antics has he gotten into this time?
March 1, 2015
The Man with One Red Shoe holds up surprisingly well. This is from Hanks' younger romantic comedy period. Dabney Coleman plays the typical Dabney Coleman role. Jim Belushi and Carrie Fisher are funny. And Lori Singer is hot! Not a great movie, but better than its' RT rating.
½ June 23, 2014
An absolutely pointless, witless, aimless sendup of the spy genre that manages to flame out on the runway despite its name-studded cast. Tom Hanks is the center of attention, to the surprise of none, as his usual aloof '80s bachelor in search of more than just another one-night stand. His character's unfortunate choice of footwear on a long flight leaves him tangled in a web of espionage and deceit; a hapless patsy in a high-stakes game of cloak and dagger. Jim Belushi and Carrie Fisher support, in roles that don't really go anywhere or mean anything, and work no miracles with the base-level material. It's an unfocused film with no ambition, no personality and a bald, spell-it-out sense of humor that's better for eye rolls than snickers. Harmless, but also useless.