43% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

86% The Knick: Season 1

The Man with Two Brains Reviews

Phil H

February 9, 2014
Easily the best collaboration between Martin and Reiner in their long movie errm...collaborations. Its Martin's second zany wacky off the wall movie after 'The Jerk' which wasn't as madcap as this. In this work of genius Martin is set free to basically come up with as much lunacy as he possibly can and boy does he.

The plot is somewhat sensible I guess, a brain surgeon falls for the sexy Kathleen Turner only to eventually discover she is a gold digger and doesn't give a shit about anyone really. In the mean time Martin falls in love with a disembodied brain (in a jar) and decides to try and rescue it with a new fresh sexy body.

The whole idea is basically a B-movie homage to various ridiculous horror concepts and at the same time an influence for many future raunchy trashy 80's teen comedies, it serves dual purpose. Its not exactly a full spoof but it comes close at times, its just an insane comedy with surreal touches of outlandish humour that borders on spoof.

Most of the funny moments tend to be sexual innuendo or sight gags, some childish some clever and witty, whilst others are clearly in there just for the hell of it, probably created on the spot. Take Martin's character name for instance...'Dr Hfuhruhurr', we here Martin say his name properly right at the start but from then on almost everybody pronounces it differently as they struggle to say it, most just give up. This is such a stupid gag ,its infantile, but it works so brilliantly every time yet you don't really know why. You know its stupid but seeing all the various characters pronounce it so randomly is just so fudging funny. The joke is even extended to a few other characters also, you'd think it would get old but it still manages to make you smile.

What hit me was how old the film looked, it was released in 83 but it looks like a 70's flick to me. Everything really looks so dated nowadays but I think some of it is deliberate, made to look cheap like an old fashioned mad scientist movie. Naturally the fake castle laboratory within the apartment (nice switch) is the cheesy stereotypical mad scientist vibe for this kind of thing. I like how they include that simply for that reason and actually say that in the film hehe could almost be a Leslie Nielsen vehicle.

Its also easy to forget how hot Turner was back in the day, she smoulders here as the evil temptress or black widow. I also like the various bits of ass on display too (yeah sue me). I do recall watching this as a kid and thinking it was a dirty film, to a kid the material shown is quite kinky and revealing for sure, the dialog is also pretty smutty and only now as an adult do I appreciate it, much like all the humour.

This has to be Martin's best film or close to, its such a shame he never really did anymore off the wall flicks like this. There is so much that works here, so many little gags and visual nuggets that are admittedly so daft (the very quick human pinball scene) you just can't help but like it (unless you dislike Steve Martin's style of course). Its rude crazy and predictable (with a brief bit of in your face racism!) but for me its probably one of the best comedies made.

'The only time we doctors should accept death is when it's caused by our own incompetence'
blkbomb
blkbomb

August 21, 2011
Michael Hfuhruhurr: I am making a citizens divorce. By the powers vested in me, I hereby declare our marriage null and void! Ipso facto, coitus interuptus!

"So funny, you'll laugh your head off"

The Man with Two Brains is a decent comedy until Steve Martin starts dating a brain in a jar. I can say I almost liked the movie. It had a few scenes that were laugh-out-loud funny. But then the jokes start getting repetitive; for example with Steve Martin's character name. Every other sentence would be a joke about how no one can pronounce it. It gets old after awhile, especially when the joke wasn't all that funny the first time.

This is nowhere near Martin's best(Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, The Jerk) but also nowhere near his worst(Pink Panther, without a doubt). It's somewhere in the middle. It has it's moments, like most of his movies. It's really stupid, like most of his movies. It's also hard to completely hate because everyone involved knows it's stupid and their having a lot of fun making it.

In the end it's an average comedy at best. Kathleen Turner makes it a little more pleasant to watch; even with her playing a bitch. Martin is his normal self, so you know what to expect there. Funny enough, but I don't think you'll laugh your head off.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
A weird plot, but for the most part it's pretty funny, and I enjoyed it.
Alexis N

October 4, 2010
I'm starting to have a whole new level of love for Steve Martin, so I've been watching his movies more lately. I just watched this one and I thought it was such a good idea and so fun. It's funny and romantic. The evil broad gets hers. The science is good and the inner zombie in you will be saying "braaaaains" though the whole thing.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 13, 2009
Eeeww
Brian D

December 5, 2009
Steve Martin at hes early best.Shame hes not that funny anymore.
Anthony L

September 29, 2009
When Martin was funny, he was very funny!
Passenger1986
Passenger1986

October 24, 2007
I miss the old Steve Martin, the one who didn't stoop to such comedic lows like the new Pink Panther films. Why can't we see more films like this one coming from such a genius?

One of the overlooked Martin films, the film deals with a brain surgeon (our man Martin), who marries Dolores Benedict (Kathleen Turner, who does really well here) but finds himself attracted to a brain in a jar (Sissy Spacek, who went criminally uncredited for her delightful role) in the laboratory of Dr. Alfred Necessiter (David Warner, who I'd like to see get more work).

Confused yet? Don't worry, this film takes the Back To The Future approach of using science in a fantastical way but doesn't dumb it down and just has fun with the whole thing. If you are a fan of that trilogy, you may enjoy seeing the approach again. I certainly did, its one of the films strengths.

Not only is the plot a bit on the science-fiction side, some of the jokes are wacky and off the wall too (and again, work in the film's favour). Who could forget Dr. Hfuhruhurr's request of the little girl to call a hospital and she responds with her own medical opinion? Or the scene in which Dr. Hfuhruhurr asks his beloved and departed first wife Rebecca for a sign that he shouldn't marry his new love and she does just about everything in her power to get him to re-think and he still doesn't see a sign (if memory serves, Orgazmo would do something similar years later).
My personal favourite joke is this line, after Dr. Hfuhruhurr (the pronunciation of which is a recurring joke, it's spelled how it sounds) finds out his new bride has plans to kill him: "You kill me and I'll see that you never work in this town again".

While one of the themes of the film is old hat (love someone for their mind, not just what they look like), I overlook that because Steve and Sissy's characters work well together. Hell, her character Anne Uumellmahaye has an equally unpronounceable last name, except to Dr. Hfuhruhurr, which makes their pairing that much the better.
They do what regular couples would do, except one is a brain in a jar. It's funny yet cute at the same time.

There are times when I think people need to sit down with Steve and force him to watch his old comedies and get the hilarious Steve back out. I say start with this, it does wonders for me.
thmtsang
thmtsang

July 14, 2007
Steve is funny in this movie. He falls in love with a brain.
garyX
garyX

January 1, 2007
Dated but very funny Steve Martin vehicle full of hilarious lines and surreal slapstick. One of his best.
Dean !

July 11, 2007
A very funny if strange film. Not a Steve Martin fan but probably one of his best films.
deano
deano

February 1, 2007
Not bad comedy, but a little silly with Steve Martin who falls in love with a talking brain in a jar and decides to transplant it into his vicious, gold-digging wife Kathleen Turner.
James A

March 4, 2006
A movie that was funny when I originally saw it and is even better today!
Naughtia
Naughtia

May 14, 2010
This movie was SO weird but also hilarious. I'm a huge fan of Steve Martin and this movie reflects his early career. I thought this movie was funny, weird but I don't think it is well suited for this century. I saw this movie a long time ago and I cherished it then and I still do.
KevinTheMovieManiac
KevinTheMovieManiac

November 29, 2008
Averge Steve Martin flick.
spaulsson
spaulsson

February 10, 2009
Steve Martin doesn't play in the same league as Leslie Nielsen in the silly-humour-division. There is a fair amount of funny one-liners and physical humour but overall very few laughs. The thin story also contributes to a surprisingly low grade. After all - this is supposed to be my type of comedy.
DrLappos
DrLappos

June 1, 2007
Martin is a great actor and this was great
chadroesti
chadroesti

April 15, 2007
What are those assholes doing on the porch?
Those aren't assholes. It's pronounced *azaleas*.
January 27, 2009
Pretty stupid, but so stupid it's good. I was glad they went to Austria, but too bad you could tell it was Hollywood.
November 11, 2008
she's not ill, she's a cheap, vulgar slut.

what an very funniest movie of written and the starring steve martin again with the director carl reiner from "the jerk". dr. michael hfuhruhurr (steve martin) is only talking to the brains but nobody didnt hear and talking except for dr. hfuhruhurr. the brains named ann ullmellmahaye voice by sissy spacek but she the uncredited. kathleen turner's character dolores is looking sexy and but kinda annoying. check it out a nice mystery elevator killer scene. very funny with little girl who repeat after dr. hfuhruhurr saying. and the also funny with dr. hfuhruhurr doing pinball scene. so AWESOME!