Manhattan Murder Mystery Reviews

½ January 31, 2013
Manhattan Murder Mystery is a likable comedy/crime film and another chance for Woody Allen to pay his respects to the great crime noirs of the 40s & 50s that have obviously been a source of influence and enjoyment for him. If I'm being honest Diane Keaton irritates me way more than Woody Allen ever does, particularly in this film but I guess it is part of her character. All actors are great in their performances, Alan Alda and Anjelica Huston in particular in their supporting roles.
August 14, 2010
One of Allen's greatest nineties' films, his bulk of work is neurotic comedies and iffy dramas. He has hit some home runs with the very subtle Crimes and Misdemeanors and classics such as Manhattan and Annie Hall. What keeps this film fresh is the fact that it's so realistic in the way it handles both the way the older couple investigated the supposed murder of their neighbor, and the backstory and look into the relationship between them. The couple who live across the hall from an old couple (Allen and Keaton) are starting their golden years together in cute seclusion, almost as an extension of Annie Hall's storyline, except now the couple has fallen into easy boredom with each other. Keaton's niche as kooky or quirky makes this film work well, as she runs around trying to solve a crime which might not even have happened. What makes this so great as well is the electricity and childlike glee of the ensemble as they find clues and piece together the events of the murder. They act like clumsy teenagers all along the way, and yet there is a bitter hostility between every one of these characters as they realize their fate and servitude as married people. Along with the couple are Alan Alda and Anjelica Huston, who both co-starred in an earlier Allen film called Crimes and Misdemeanors, which was a sharp drama. This was very sweet, a little guarded with the inter-personal relationships between every character, but the plot was delicious. I could have eaten up every morsel as we went along, hanging on the words of the saucy Anjelica Huston and the morbid Diane Keaton. It's an ensemble work in short, and is really more of a film for experienced middle aged individuals who are fans of the director's, and I'm guessing that's who he made it for, besides being a love letter to New York, as many of his films are.
FilmFanatik
December 9, 2011
I don't claim to be a Woody Allen film expert by any means. I've only seen a handle of his films (as of this writing), but I tend to enjoy them every single time I see them. Maybe it's because Woody Allen is so much fun to watch, especially with the onscreen chemistry between him and Diane Keaton. Manhattan Murder Mystery probably isn't one of his better films, but it has the Woody Allen touches all over it. It's also a very intriguing mystery that has some geniunely creepy moments mixed with side-splitting nervous dialogue and performances. It's also fun to see who pops up in his films. This time around, we're treated to Alan Alda and Angelica Huston, two great ones. The plotline is a little bit ridiculous at times, but not wholly unbelievale. Just unlikely and ironic. Diane Keaton also gives a near-catatonic perfomance as the nosey neighbor. I felt exhausted after seeing this film, but I really enjoyed it. It's got a very good lead cast, an interesting story, and of course, Woody Allen himself. I guess one couldn't ask for much more.
axadntpron
½ June 14, 2011
An intriguing blend of mystery and comedy. Feels like Alvy and Annie got old and moved in next door to a possible murderer. Clearly a love letter to the classic thrillers of Billy Wilder and Orson Welles. Utilizes a lot of the great hand held camera work that we saw in 1992's Husbands and Wives. However, the characters feel very underdeveloped. On top of this, even though there are some incredible one liners, the comedy is inconsistant. While I am not expecting a laugh a minute in my films, some more comedic breaks could have been utilized to break up the incredibly absurd mystery. Although certainly not his best work, it is worth a watch.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
½ December 26, 2008
''Claustrophia and a dead body - this is a neurotic's jackpot''

A middle-aged couple suspects foul play when their neighbor's wife suddenly drops dead.

REVIEW
Nice re-pairing of one of cinema's best comedy duos, has great location shooting, an amazing visual ending and some of Allen's best one liners. Alan Alda and Angelica Huston provide feisty support, especially Alda, who's quite playful here. While this is basically a long running gag about being nosy and suspicious, there is an undercurrent of seriousness below the goofy parts about growing older and livening up the duller routines of life. While it's not recommended to spy on your neighbors to see if they're killers or not, having an adventure with the person you've been married to a long time is something to consider; be it just around the corner or somewhere unfamiliar. That aside, this is a lively counterpart to Allen's previous Husbands and Wives, which was filled with bitterness inside its rich comic moments, as well as a pleasant diversion. It's really refreshing seeing Allen and Keaton together as a lovable couple, with no one cheating on each other, although a few slight scenes do discuss some hidden jealousies and insecurities. Keaton has some of her best bits being a snoop here and this may qualify as one of her better comic roles. Plus she always has the best clothes. Only she could carry off that wardrobe of hers. Look briefly for that Zach actor from Scrubs in a very small scene as the couple's son. You might blink and miss him.
thmtsang
July 15, 2007
Couple find themsleves in a murder mystery. Good cast.
½ June 5, 2007
definitely not woody allen's greatest contribution to cinema, but makes up for the slightly ridiculous plot and unrounded characters by supplying me with absolutely terrific humor.
June 4, 2008
Allen and Keaton still have excellent chemistry as Mr. and Mrs. Lipton! Each is worried the other is falling for someone else though. They meet Mr. and Mrs. House, a neighboring older couple down the hall. Shortly after, Mrs. House is dead. Keaton immediately begins suspecting that something is not right with Mr. House's way of going on with his life. Allen's delivery of one liners and neurotic manner serve him well, since he wants nothing to do with inventing elaborate explanations for how Mrs. House might really have died. The Lipton's mutual friend, Ted, played by Alda is Keaton's confidant. Keaton and Alda, who is a writer and fancies himself a kind of Humphrey Bogart, have vivid imaginations and find it thrilling in this part of their lives to play detectives. Well, it is not all in Keaton's head. Huston is another writer who is having a book published by Allen and on a double date she too helps figure out how to catch the murderer. Jerry Adler as Mr. House channels Raymond Burr from Rear Window well. It is obvious with one Woody Allen picture after another that he loves and respects other classic filmmakers!
October 18, 2011
It does just enough to keep you into it, no more no less.
½ July 26, 2010
It combines the 'couple in the midst of a midlife crisis' plot that were in most of Allen's films from this time along with some of his goofier sensiblities from his earlier stuff. The result is a light movie, but its fun and having Woody Allen and Diane Keaton back together on screen is really wonderful.
zeravenyoej
June 1, 2007
Glad to see Diane and Woody reunited.
½ April 5, 2009
Nothing like a little murder mystery to spice up a marriage - in true Woody Allen style.
December 24, 2011
"Manhattan Murder Mystery" is a comedy disguised as a thriller, or vice versa. The premise is strangely familiar, but the writing and acting are so phenomenal that you won't care. And it doesn't matter that Woody Allen plays the same character in every movie he's in. He's always hilarious.
divinetrash
½ March 6, 2008
Kind of a comedic spin on 'Rear Window', Diane Keaton is brilliant as the curious housewife and Woody Allen very charming as, well, Woody Allen. The script is very funny and the film keeps a light, happy spirit despite a darker subject matter. The one thing is, though, that you never believe the characters are in any peril or they will be hurt, but it doesn't distract much from all the fun.
December 30, 2010
This movie is a farce on a thriller about solving a murder in Manhattan. Maybe the funniest part of this movie is the part about neighbours in the city--how you have an unspoken agreement to studiously ignore what they are doing.
Critique Threatt
November 28, 2010
"Manhattan Murder Mystery" is kind of like watching the main characters from Annie Hall sixteen years later. Allen and Keaton still have that great acting chemistry from the 1970's even though you can see they are at the age of riping in the 1990's. The story involves a murder of an old lady, Keaton immediately gets obsessed trying to find out if the old lady's husband Mr Houseman(Jerry Adler) has anything to do with it and doesn't want him to get away with murder. Allen thinks Keaton's character is crazy but eventually believes her when Keaton's clues become more evident.

MMM also involves two supporting characters played by Alan Alda and Anjelica Houston. Houston is how Allen puts it "dangerously promiscuous" and a great scene while they flirt and talk about playing bridge but not that kind of bridge game a card player would be thinking about. Alan Alda plays a buddy type but wouldn't mind tapping Keaton's ass while out on stakeout.

MMM is sort of immaturish and unbelivable. The scene where Keaton's character breaks into the old man's house then hides under the bed felt a little flawed. A scene where Allen lights a match at the bottom of a tenement building reminded me of Teddy Daniels lighting a match in "Shutter Island", or another scene where Allen and Keaton follow Mr Houseman to a Blue Collar plant was a little unbelivable watching two middle aged people acting like they still got some juice from the "Annie Hall" days. It's a cool scene due to the digetic music and the red visuals but again two middle aged adults running frantically trying to stop Mr Houseman from burning his wife at the plant? No.

Is MMM a bad movie? I don't think it is but one might be put off by the nervous hand held camera moves. Allen has a great love for Manhattan, mystery, sexual inuenndos, the golden age of cinema, and music. As for murder? well let's just call it a bold experiment.
June 2, 2008
One of Woody Allen's best and funniest. Diane Keaton is amazingly fun.
spaulsson
August 8, 2008
There are a few funny moments but the dialogs are among the worst I've seen in a Woody Allen piece. The biggest problem, however, is that it builds up something that it can't keep. I was just waiting for a clever explanation but it never came. Further on, the main characters were really stupid and annoying which made it hard to watch.
alanjayh
½ May 30, 2008
has some funny moments..very funy..nice mystery, movie keeps you invovled in the outcome and another fine acting performance from the duo of allen/keaton
Dracula787
January 27, 2008
I haven?t seen a Woody Allen movie in a long time, and this was a really pleasant experience. The film is definitely in the upper 25% of Allen?s films, a tight Rear Window style murder plot with a really nice script filled with good Allen dialogue. Allen, Keaton, Alda, and Huston make a really good ensemble; keep your eyes peeled for a very young Zach Braff. Also one of the best Allen lines ever: ?I can't listen to that much Wagner, ya know? I start to get the urge to conquer Poland.?