Maniac - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Maniac Reviews

½ October 23, 2015
Holy bananas this is graphically violent. Love the 80s synth soundtrack. Elijah Wood makes such a good creeper. Well filmed through first person. Don't watch though unless you can stomach crazy violence.
½ October 14, 2015
Grisly, disturbing and subtle, Maniac is a potent remake of the 80's slasher that showcases Elijah Wood playing against type and inventive scenes from it's deranged protagonist's view
½ October 10, 2015
Pretty standard serial killer fayre, and I didn't particularly enjoy the first person perspective
½ December 26, 2013
Nope, nope, nope too violent.
October 1, 2015
Well its better than the original. An unhinged and gory horror..
September 15, 2015
You like it rough, Frank?

Frank is a simple and awkward young man that had a hard upbringing by his whorish mother. He has developed strange needs for serial killing. He picks up girls randomly and kills them. He meets and falls for a photographer and his unique needs may come to light...

"I like a man who takes control."

Franck Khalfoun, director of P2, Wrong Turn at Tahoe, i-Lived, Entry Level, and the upcoming Amityville: The Awakening, delivers Maniac. The storyline for this picture is interesting in an American Psycho kind of way. The action scenes and execution are pretty good. The acting is okay and the cast includes Elijah Wood, Nora Arnezeder, America Olivo, and Megan Duffy.

"It was very sweet of you to drive me home."

This was added to the Netflix online queue not too long after I joined Netflix and I had to add it to my queue. This was entertaining and fun to watch unfold. This isn't as good as similar films in the genre, but it is worth a viewing.

"Why do you act like I don't exist?"

Grade: C+
August 27, 2015
This is my shit. This is what I want to see more of. I don't want horror movies holding back when it comes to serial killers. They got creepy down perfectly.
February 13, 2013
This re-make is ridiculously boring, and Elijah Wood is very miscast as the maniac.
July 24, 2015
I didn't know much about this film prior to seeing it aside from having seen the original a while back. I remember that it was a standout film for it's genre and so is this. I gotta say that I had my head in my hands when I saw who was playing the title role though. Here is a kid who seems hell bent on proving he can work outside the roles he's typically played in all the kids films he's famous for. Finally, for me, he's done it. This was the perfect role for him and he pulled it off and changed my opinion. I'm still not gonna watch green street hooligans 2 though.
November 28, 2013
just ur run of the mill standard slasher/serial killer pic
November 5, 2012
slightly disappointing considering the hype, but still pretty good, kinda like Drive meets Henry:Portrait of A Serial Killer
½ May 12, 2015
Sick and twisted, I quite liked it.
April 15, 2015
I saw the original, but couldn't muster all the way through this one. Maybe those who like to see females brutally killed would enjoy this more than I did.
April 12, 2015
Disturbing but well made.
March 26, 2015
Utterly disturbing. Painful to watch.
March 24, 2015
At first you watch like any slasher film...who is he going to kill and how. This fades about half way through though and you wonder why am I watching this? You are already half there though, so you finish it. Then you wonder why they made this movie. Mostly cause Wood wanted to escape being a Hobbit and signed on.
March 4, 2015
A horror remake, shot from the maniac's point-of-view, with elements of Psycho and Silence of the Lambs but much more disturbing.
March 3, 2015
An intriguing remake
February 25, 2015
MANIAC is incredibly well shot and masterfully acted. It is definitely style over content, but as most horror movies have neither of those things, MANIAC is surprisingly fresh and often completely terrifying. As someone who is rarely scared by horror movies, I was pleased to for once be sensitive to the noises in the house and feel a tingle down my spine whenever I turned out the light.