Maniac - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Maniac Reviews

March 22, 2016
Most films don't need remakes. And most remakes aren't as good as the originals. But sometimes, just sometimes, the remake brings a little something different to the table. Sometimes they are better, sometimes worse... and sometimes, as is the case with Maniac (2013), they are completely surprising. The original Maniac wasn't a fantastic film, but it has it's fans. What could a remake of a pretty sleezy lack luster, grindhouse film really offer? Well, when you take the film and modernize it, give it some different style, cast Elijah Wood in a very uncharacteristic role, and pull off some really good camera work, you get a remake I can actual recommend... at least to those that would appreciate a film of this nature. It's still sleezy, gruesome, and despicable despite the cleaner look.
June 14, 2014
If being the most disturbing movie of all time is an accomplishment to you, then you will likely consider this a masterpiece. Maniac is easily the most twisted and disturbing movie I have ever seen. While some aspects are well done in the cinematic sense, like the direction and psychological tension, Maniac will be remembered more for its unrestrained violence.
December 25, 2015
disturbing, interesting, bloody, good plot whatsoever
December 17, 2015
Interestingly styled horror with what seems to be a homage to John Carpenter with its musical score.
½ January 13, 2013
This brilliant film is certainly not for everybody's stomach, since it is a brutal, tense and intensely disturbing experience that forces us to adopt the perspective of a maniac psycho killer - using an ingenious subjective camera to put us right there inside his deranged state of mind.
December 16, 2015
Good acting from Elijah Wood, great direction and soundtrack. Stunning effects,scary and unusual, paying respects to all the 80's classic's, and still manages to keep attention form the new audiences. Not recommended for those with weak sotmach though. But, a great nostalgic moment for horror fans.
½ December 8, 2015
finally Netflixs give me something worth while! Its very American Psycho esck yet not as good of course nor as smart but Wood gives a chilling performance and it has some of the most disturbing images ever put on film I can see why it was band in some countries. Usually I dont like gore if its for no reason yet the creepiness of his character kind of brought you into his demented mind and also clips from the past reviled why he is that way.
November 13, 2015
Weird film as is the ending.
May 12, 2013
Takes all of the subtlety and creepiness of the original and replaces it with pointless extended scenes of dialogue. A brainstorming session of "what can we do with the mannequins" and no ideas went unused.
½ October 23, 2015
Holy bananas this is graphically violent. Love the 80s synth soundtrack. Elijah Wood makes such a good creeper. Well filmed through first person. Don't watch though unless you can stomach crazy violence.
½ October 14, 2015
Grisly, disturbing and subtle, Maniac is a potent remake of the 80's slasher that showcases Elijah Wood playing against type and inventive scenes from it's deranged protagonist's view
½ October 10, 2015
Pretty standard serial killer fayre, and I didn't particularly enjoy the first person perspective
½ December 26, 2013
Nope, nope, nope too violent.
October 1, 2015
Well its better than the original. An unhinged and gory horror..
½ September 24, 2015
Super uncomfortable. Great soundtrack.
September 15, 2015
You like it rough, Frank?

Frank is a simple and awkward young man that had a hard upbringing by his whorish mother. He has developed strange needs for serial killing. He picks up girls randomly and kills them. He meets and falls for a photographer and his unique needs may come to light...

"I like a man who takes control."

Franck Khalfoun, director of P2, Wrong Turn at Tahoe, i-Lived, Entry Level, and the upcoming Amityville: The Awakening, delivers Maniac. The storyline for this picture is interesting in an American Psycho kind of way. The action scenes and execution are pretty good. The acting is okay and the cast includes Elijah Wood, Nora Arnezeder, America Olivo, and Megan Duffy.

"It was very sweet of you to drive me home."

This was added to the Netflix online queue not too long after I joined Netflix and I had to add it to my queue. This was entertaining and fun to watch unfold. This isn't as good as similar films in the genre, but it is worth a viewing.

"Why do you act like I don't exist?"

Grade: C+
August 27, 2015
This is my shit. This is what I want to see more of. I don't want horror movies holding back when it comes to serial killers. They got creepy down perfectly.
February 13, 2013
This re-make is ridiculously boring, and Elijah Wood is very miscast as the maniac.
July 24, 2015
I didn't know much about this film prior to seeing it aside from having seen the original a while back. I remember that it was a standout film for it's genre and so is this. I gotta say that I had my head in my hands when I saw who was playing the title role though. Here is a kid who seems hell bent on proving he can work outside the roles he's typically played in all the kids films he's famous for. Finally, for me, he's done it. This was the perfect role for him and he pulled it off and changed my opinion. I'm still not gonna watch green street hooligans 2 though.