92% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Manichithrathazhu Reviews

August 20, 2012
Revisiting Manichitrathazhu even after 20 years of it hitting the theatres is justly for the utter respect the movie has generated over the years and the cult status it still fosters. Everything right from the one liners, humour, dialogues to even the back ground score still resonates in every Malayali's heart. An array of adaptations and remakes have followed but quite humbly a few of them were able to even live upto the name. I can with a lot of buoyancy claim that this movie laid a strong foundation for the semi-horror genre. The approach was quite prolific right from the introduction of characters to the tightly laid screenplay. Being a Malayali and essentially a movie buff, I can say I grew up in that ambience and has over a zillion times witnessed the movie's presence in diverse patterns. Let it be the intensely provoked dialogue of Shobhana or just the utterance of her name by Suresh Gopi, we have loved and treasured every bit of it through these years. From the tumbler falling and carelessly drifting across the floor to Shobhana's eyes curiously spanning the wooden frames, the movie still generates the chills down our spines and could easily outrun the modern day thrillers. The music is soulful and has cultivated an aura of the movie in each of its strands. Mohanlal as the male protagonist does a stupendous job and gives the character a unique shade that has just grown with time. The hilarious introduction scene or a silent observer outside the door while Shobhana is locked, Mohanlal executes it with sheer diligence. Nevertheless, the movie in its entirety belongs to Shobhana, the female protagonist. It would probably be unjust on me to comment on her performance but rather recommend witnessing the intensity by yourself, if you still haven't. However, for the non Malayali's, I would definitely recommend a subtitled version, even though you may have seen those remakes or loosely adapted versions.
August 13, 2012
One of the best thrillers in Malayalam Cinema.