Marvel Movie Madness! Part 19: Man-Thing

Summary

Matt: This week of the Marvel Movie Madness contains the movies we're calling "the weird crap" - Man-Thing, Red Sonja, and Howard the Duck. We've seen some good and bad films get made out of Marvel properties, but I think we can all agree that the movies this week are based on some of the lesser-known titles, and all three of them are pretty ugly. Today, we're focusing on Man-Thing. Based on a long-running, semi regular title, Man-Thing is a shambling swamp monster that's basically Marvel's version of Swamp Thing (the creators of both characters came up with them around the same time). Man-Thing had a brief monthly run, but was then cut to a quarterly or semi-annual run as double-sized issues. And to the delight of everyone's inner 12-year-old, they were called "Giant-Size Man-Thing." Back to Article

Comments

King Crunk

King Crunk

I knew Lantern filmed there, but I am not familiar with the area, so I was not sure if they gave breaks to film production or not.

Jun 20 - 07:34 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

Well, I don't know aboot that :)

Jun 20 - 07:38 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

Even if Avi had been free to be on-set of this, it would have turned out exactly the same. He comes across as an "idea guy" in special features of movies - but he's not. He is (or was, not sure if he's still employed there) Marvel's hustler. He would go out there, trying to hustle the studios in paying top dollar for Marvel properties - then go back and hustle Marvel to take the highest bid (and not the one who will be more loyal to the source material). In the 90's, Avi wanted the cartoons to push toy purchases (instead of focusing on story - which would keep the show on the air longer, and probably sell more toys for longer), to compete with Hasbro's success. He lost that battle with Spider-Man (the producers nixed it for better story-telling), but he got the control he wanted with Spider-Man Unlimited - which went off the air after 13 episodes. Looking back, I on't get how Unlimited would sell a lot of toys. The drawings of the characters were so jagged, I could see those toys being quite the choking hazzard.

Jun 20 - 08:00 PM

CyborgUnicorn

Cyborg Unicorn

lol choking hazard, that's funny.
but I didn't know that about the cartoons, that's interesting.

Jun 21 - 01:11 AM

Seth D.

Seth Daniels

Amen. I'm pretty much sure that Arad wrecked Spider Man 3 by forcing Sam Raimi to include Venom, for marketing purposes. Everyone involved is too professional to directly say so, but I remember interviews with Sam where he basically said "yeah, I didn't think this would work, but, uh, guess I'll try." Venom is more marketable than the Sandman, so one of Spidey's most iconic villains got the shoehorn treatment, and Raimi left the franchise.

Jun 21 - 06:03 AM

CyborgUnicorn

Cyborg Unicorn

I did remember hearing that Venom wasn't going to be in Spider-Man 3 but they kind of forced him onto Raimi. I would've preferred they use the Lizard, but I'm not so sure in retrospect that Raimi would ever even do that.

I tried to give Raimi the benefit of the doubt when it comes to his Spider-Man movies, but I'm actually glad he's not making the new one, because I couldn't care less about the Vulture

Jun 21 - 10:45 AM

gridlock'd2

First Last

It makes sense Spider-Man Unlimited was created to sell toys. I was watching it the other night and I was really wondering why it even existed.
Those manimal characters were just stupid.

Jun 21 - 10:55 AM

Deanno

Dean Nelson

Haha he said aboot

Jun 20 - 11:27 PM

Deanno

Dean Nelson

I saw this in my local video store once.

Jun 20 - 11:34 PM

CyborgUnicorn

Cyborg Unicorn

lol choking hazard, that's funny.
but I didn't know that about the cartoons, that's interesting.

Jun 21 - 01:11 AM

Captain Terror

Captain Terror

I watched this the night it aired. Does that get me a no-prize? I'm a sucker for swamp creatures and had a couple of comics as a kid where M-T made an appearance. (including "Micronauts"!!)

If you're the least bit curious about this one, fight the urge. For the love of god rent something else. Anything. "Jonah Hex", "Catwoman", anything. Don't do what I've done........

Jun 21 - 04:30 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

and how much did GL cost to make again :). Probably less corruption in Australia and sounds like most of the stars were Aussie's. Probably wouldn't have been able to get this stellar of a cast if they didn't come to them.

Jun 21 - 05:34 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

It's no Sharktapus or Gatoroid.

Jun 21 - 05:35 AM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Sharktopus is pretty fucking awesome......

Jun 21 - 08:17 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Half Shark/Half Octopus ALL ACTION!!!!!!!

Jun 21 - 09:00 AM

David Marvel-ous

David Miele

Kudos

Jun 21 - 02:40 PM

Seth D.

Seth Daniels

Jun 21 - 06:03 AM

CyborgUnicorn

Cyborg Unicorn

Jun 21 - 10:45 AM

gridlock'd2

First Last

gridlock'd2 on 06-21-2011 06:12 AM
I thought you guys were watching all the "significant" Marvel movies. If you watched this, what AREN'T you watching? I didn't even know this one existed.

What exactly is the diffence between Things Man and Swamp?

You know, at the end of the day "Howard the Duck" is really no worse than say; "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles." But one made a fortune and one was a fiasco. The difference? Marketing. No kids knew who the hell Howard the Duck was.

EDIT: Why isn't there an edit button on these pages? It's really annoying to have to delet the whole comment just to fix a typo.

Jun 21 - 06:15 AM

Captain Terror

Captain Terror

Swamp Thing was a scientist who was mutated in an accident. In the versions I read, he could speak intelligently and so on. Man-Thing was just a big swamp monster. His deal, if I recall correctly, was that he could sense fear and was drawn to it. So the more scared you are, the more he's going to chase you.

That might've been a rhetorical question on your part, but there's your answer anyway. :)

Jun 21 - 06:42 AM

gridlock'd2

First Last

Thanks for the info. I'm a Marvel guy but Man-Thing sounds like the worse character.

Jun 21 - 10:52 AM

Robert Rodriguez's 10 Best Movies

Ant-Man
Ant-Man

First pic of Marvel's Paul Rudd

Worst Summer Movies
Worst Summer Movies

We list the 60 worst since 1975

Scorecard 2014
Scorecard 2014

See where the summer movies rank