Babes In Toyland - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Babes In Toyland Reviews

bbcfloridabound
May 12, 2012
Have Seen this movie so many times I stopped counting, I couldn't wait to see it on TV when I was a Kid. It was on every Christmas Day wither on WPIX or WOR TV, back when rabbit ears or the Antenna Dad put on the roof would get us maybe 5 channels total. Anyway I will watch it again come Christmas Day. Its the Best Christmas Movie out there.
September 3, 2010
First of all I think the story of Babes in Toyland is pretty stupid itself, but this movie has Laurel and Hardy, who could have made the movie funny, but they're just distracting. Although I'd welcome a distraction from having to watch this movie, they're not as funny as they think.
Movie Monster
August 23, 2010
This movie never gets old! I watch this every Thanksgiving at my grandparents's house and I enjoy it everytime. The characters are so sweet and lovable and this is so hilarious! A must-see for adults and kids alike.

"Christmas? Christmas in the middle of July?!"
FiLmCrAzY
½ February 15, 2008
ive seen babes in toyland of course the first time i wtched it i thought it was great and the lad who was in it was pretty cute bt now its still gd but gd for its time and he is no longer cute!
½ March 13, 2008
A Christmas time classic.
December 26, 2008
Really interesting with the characters in the fictional land. A couple of really nice songs. A few chuckles in there. Fun for the family.
August 10, 2007
Used to watch this a lot around Thanksgiving and it was a silly fun time.
December 24, 2012
The film is an authentic children's entertainment and quite the merriest of its kind that Hollywood has turned loose on the nation's screens in a long time.
½ May 12, 2012
I'd like to put on this shoe and kick him right in the pants

Bo-Peep lives with Mother Goose in a modest house. The landlord of the house adores Bo-Peep and wants to marry her; however, Bo-Peep is not interested in him. When Mother Goose falls behind on her rent, the landlord offers to drop the debts if Bo-Peep marries him. Bo-Peep and Mother Goose refuse the offer. They will rely on two buffoons, Ollie Dee and Stanley Dum, to secure the funds to pay the rent.

"Three little pigs - Elmer, Wiggle, and Jiggs...

Gus Meins (The Little Rascals) and Charley Rogers (The Flying Deuces) collaborate to deliver March of the Wooden Soldiers. The storyline for this picture is magical and reminded me a lot of The Wizard of Oz. The characters are excellent and brilliantly presented with great costumes and settings. The acting is excellent and the cast includes Stan Laurel, Oliver Hardy, Virginia Karns, and Charlotte Henry.

"You children will be the death of me."
"Oh mother. Do you really mean that?"

This was a movie my wife decided to watch since it is the holiday season and I had never seen it before. I was pleasantly surprised at how great this picture was and the fact it did not air regularly like the previously referenced Wizard of Oz. The detailed characters and backdrops were marvelous and the comedic content was classic. This is definitely a must see picture.

Grade: A
½ May 12, 2012
Day 22 of The 25 days of Christmas Movies Marathon Countdown..... And next up is a classic in the Truest sense of the word.

To me growing up in NYC nothing screams Holiday movie like "March of the Wooden Soldiers" starring Laurel & Hardy. Originally Released in 1934 as "Babes in Toyland" it was re-released several times with a different title to make it seem to audiences that they were going to see a different film. Then it surfaced as a holiday movie on TV with the name "March of the Wooden Soldiers" it became A holiday staple on many television stations throughout the US. In New York, it ran on WPIX channel 11, as March of the Wooden Soldiers, and still runs on WPIX in daytime on Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. Matter a fact, March of the Wooden Soldiers has run more times than the nationwide network runs of The Wizard of Oz, It's a Wonderful Life, and A Charlie Brown Christmas.

Set in the mythical land of Toyland, Widow Peep (Florence Roberts) is an old woman about to be evicted from her home by the evil Silas Barnaby (Henry Brandon) unless her mortgage is paid. Barnaby is willing to overlook the matter and offer her the deed in favor of being honored for having her daughter, Bo-Peep (Charlotte Henry) as his bride. Bo-Peep loves Tom Tom Piper (Felix Knight, dressed like Peter Pan), and will have nothing to do with him. Stanley Dum (Stan Laurel) and Oliver Dee (Oliver Hardy), a couple of toy-makers who take up room and board in Widow Peep's home, attempt to help by asking their employer, the toy master (William Burress) for an advance in salary, but because Stanley confused Santa Claus's (Ferdinand Munier) order 600 toy soldiers at one foot high, thus giving him 100 toy soldiers at six foot high instead of 600 soldiers at 1 foot high, they both get fired, and must come up with another solution in rescuing Bo-Peep from the clutches of Barnaby.

Directed Gus Meins and Charles Rogers, is a musical fairy tale based on a 1903 operetta. The story was perfect for the comedy team of Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy in what's considered to be their very best and highly acclaimed adaptation taken from an operatic work, thanks to its fine script, comedy material and notable storybook characters brought to life on the screen. In spite of Stan and Ollie having to take time away from the screen in favor of plot development, musical interludes and romantic subplot, even appearing nearly ten minutes from the start of the story, the movie, overall, succeeds. Henry Kleinbach's portrayal of the Evil Barnaby is perfect on so many levels.

"March of the Wooden Soldiers will always have a special place in my heart and in the memories of my childhood. I remember it was always shown on Thanksgiving Day after the Macy's parade and I would watch it with my Father, Uncle and Grandmother. It's a timeless classic that passes my Test of Time Test: I mean, I have shown this film to every younger family member of mines and they were hypnotized throughout, all enjoying and laughing at Laurel and Hardy's comedy, and were appropriately scared by the sight of the bogey-men. This movie is perfect for anyone young or old.
½ December 25, 2009
A brilliant conception at the time for Laurel and Hardy. One cannot help but laugh at the film as much as with it: the special effects are so outdated, and some of the things are so weird, especially now, but it all adds up to some great laughs. Nobody else had timing liking L & H did. The color here, in 1934!, is especially impressive.
December 15, 2009
not really that outstanding--kinda felt like a Marx Bros picture without the humour. there were a few moments where the Laurel & Hardy charm shined through, but most of the film was filled with a very thin plot and dreadful exaggerated acting. still, a few classic gags and funny jokes save this film from being a total disaster--it's entertaining, it just hasn't aged well.
November 30, 2009
This film holds a special place in my heart as a child. This is one of my top Christmas films and when you see it, you'll understand why.
The music is incredible, giving some great emotion to what could have been a dull set of scenes. The acting is very much like a Broadway play and holds up well, even to other popular musicals like "Rent".
Shot in Black & White and believe me that is the only way it should be watched, avoid the colorized version. Laural & Hardy are considerd one of comedies best duo's. I myself have never really been big into them(mainly because I never tried to watch any other film), but they are great together in this.
Barnalby is one of Christmas cinema's most evil misors, even more so than Scrooge himself. I love all the fairytale references, since this takes place in a fairytale land, its obvious this would happen.
Go see this film and enjoy a Christmas classic with your family.
4 out of 5 stars
½ April 11, 2008
Laurel and Hardy are hilarious in this feature film of theirs. Enjoyable songs for the most part but the real treat is seeing the fairy tales and nursery rhymes come alive. The characters are classic especially the cat and the fiddle, the mouse, and the three little pigs. Henry Brandon plays a great old man in Barnaby and Felix Knight has a great operatic voice. Once again the film is made by Laurel and Hardy as they play with peewees, fight the bogeymen, and lead an army of wooden soldiers to battle along with the rest of Toyland! Lots of fun and lots of laughs with colored in film to make it even more vivid and wonderful. Great to watch anytime but Christmas time is a great setting for it just for the soldiers part - its not a seasonal film at all. One of Laurel and Hardy's best. Makes me laugh every time Barbaby gets hit with the rolling pin! A great operetta that's gaurenteed to at least bring a smile to your face.
May 18, 2008
Love this movie! It's appropriate for all ages and charming to anyone. The effects are a little out of date but the story and comedy is always perfect!!! I definetly recommend this film!!!
June 10, 2007
It takes its time, but not necessarily in a bad way, and mostly it's marvelous. Even the bits without Laurel and Hardy are buoyed by the enchanting set design and the delicious characterization of Mr. Barnaby. The finale is bizarre and hilarious.
December 20, 2007
January 28, 2008
Watched it a lot as a kid and Barnaby still creeps the hell out of me but not as much as the bogeymen. O.O
December 11, 2007
Haven't missed a Thanksgiving Day showing of this film in over 40 years. It's required viewing whenever it's on. My sister and I will make sure to call each other up whenit's on to make sure the other is awake (sometimes Channel 11 airs it at 8 am!).
Funny, and actually thrilling when the climax comes. Great musical score throughout the assault on Toyland by the Boogie Men scene.
½ November 16, 2007
The original Babes In Toyland with Laural and Hardy. This 1934 film was a real winner - with the combination of Victor Herbets music and the clown duo was really put togather for their time and niche....