Margaret - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Margaret Reviews

April 11, 2014
A self-obsessed teenager of New York style privilege endeavors to correct a wrong done to an innocent, and that's just the introductory tip of the iceberg in this dense examination of modern day humanity. My first reaction was intense dislike of the main character, and thus the film(even after I realized she was meant as an example of us all), but I couldn't tear my eyes away. After we accept that we are flawed, then what? The work manages to be engaging even while wrestling with the answers. Bring your thinking cap!
August 7, 2012
A messy, fascinating and intimate epic. The accident that sets everything in motion is really just an excuse for Lonergan to view grief through the eyes of a teenager, who doesn't have the maturity to handle whats happening. Maybe it's "unfinished" or whatever but I don't really care.
February 6, 2016
Perfect. The perfect goddamn movie. Watch the 3 hour extended cut though. One of the best movies I've ever seen.
½ December 8, 2015
An underrated little masterpiece. Anna Paquin gives it her best in a tortured role.
November 22, 2015
As the movie dragged on and on and on, I liked it less and less and less and the people populating it even less than that.
½ October 22, 2015
It took so many years and two lawsuits to have this film edited and released but the final result is this bloated and self-important mess of ideas that Lonergan was incapable of putting together cohesively, and it is even worse that the protagonist is so detestable in the middle of all this.
½ September 29, 2015
½ September 13, 2015
interesting film drama.

this picture of dramatic provocateur kept me viewing whereas another film of it's typecast i would not have endured. the genre product is simple enough to 'usually' fall asleep to though the performances enlightened another dimension, gave depth to plot as it traversed a bumpy character based loop de loop revolving this girls troubled time in life or grasping the individualistic nature of it.

*spoiler alert** to not bestow one opinionated issues upon everyone else mayhaps be that nature of bond. yet is it a spoiler at all
September 4, 2015
What a vast jumble!
And, why Anna Paquin always picks nasty roles like this?
Or, why does she always deliver her characters in such nuisance way??
½ August 30, 2015
One of the longest movies ever made about the biggest spoiled brat ever born.
DrStrangeblog
June 17, 2015
Hard-hitting and emotionally haranguing, this absorbing, perceptive drama provides plenty of deep thought with a real understanding of the differences between the teenage and adult worlds. Margaret isn't the name of anyone in the movie, it's a character in a poem who laments for her younger self's ability to care about the world in a more urgent manner. Margaret's attitude is reflected in one of the movie's major themes as high schooler Lisa (Anna Paquin) feels responsible for a bus accident that killed a pedestrian. Furthermore, she believes the bus driver is at least equally culpable and who does not demonstrate remorse to her satisfaction, so she takes it upon herself to force him to accept responsibility.

I could write a term paper about this movie, and at nearly 3 hours there is plenty of material. With the many hysterical outbursts it's probably a difficult film for a lot of people to enjoy but I was rapt in the characters and story. Credit goes to an outstanding cast - I was only interested in the first place because of Paquin, and she in mostly commanding in a thoroughly draining role - and exceptional writing with an ear for dialogue that captures how people really talk and think. Another theme is perception, and how different viewpoints can come to opposite conclusions with the same information, whether due to generational or cultural or any number of other gaps. New York is also given time to inhabit the screen and leave an indelible mark as a character, although I could have done with fewer camera pans of buildings.

The law takes an important part in the story and the movie examines the complicated issues the way great lawsuit movies like 'Erin Brockovich' do, on a ground level during conversations over coffee that everyone can understand instead of during boring courtroom speeches. The complications are fascinatingly distasteful. For instance, if the woman had survived for several days before dying, that would have increased the call for damages significantly. On the other hand, she was consciously clinging to life for several minutes, which calls for a greater monetary reward than someone killed outright.

The bulk of the time is spent with Lisa trying to come to terms with what she thinks she's done. She drifts away from her best friends at school and mother, a concerned but neurotic and neglectful stage actress, and spends more time with her math teacher and the victim's best friend. Her cement mixer of emotions also leads her to her first sexual experience in a starkly tender scene of nervousness and anticipation. That was unexpected, which is a big part of what I admired about this film: it continuously strives to find unconventional footing in scene setups that are very familiar and yet the outcomes are very organic. Not everything works, particularly the direction she takes with her math teacher played by Matt Damon didn't jibe. As she experiences this rapid growth cycle, she eventually finds her way back to her innate connection with her mother.

"In this country, this is how we punish people who have done bad things."
"By getting money from from their employer's insurance companies??"
½ June 4, 2015
I saw the longer version.. 186 mins, but it mostly flowed.... very good cast, but I felt like some of the the lead characters' personal things that were going on in her life, were unnecessary to add to the film...
May 2, 2015
Lengthy indeed, and not short with emotion by any means, "Margaret" presents a tragic story surrounding a heartbreaking event that intercepts young 17-year-old Margaret's life and shakes her to the core. Anna Paquin shines with her painful delivery that feels all too real, and Kenneth Lonergan directs with ease. A difficult film, but a necessary one.
½ April 29, 2015
Actually was surprised at how much I liked it. The acting is convincing and keeps you hooked for the duration even though a little long at just under two and a half hours
April 21, 2015
It felt like a collection of randomly shot scenes, meant for a variety of different films, that went on too long. The characters are over exaggerated, and sometimes plain unbelievable (mother's boyfriend). If the aim was to portray a modern hyper intelligent teenager, who has no idea what to do with it -- then the film could be considered a success.
½ March 17, 2015
We also feels certain she played a determinant role in a deadly accident. She also was brave enough to hold the victim on her lap during her last 5 minutes of life. That is the kind of event causing the famous PTSD. She seems to take it excessively well but it obsess her. She seems to try several approaches to resolve her emotions. With top guilt already, she can try other guilt-trips with others that seems not to feel any of it. It is a way to measure her own against others. Even though she feels upset and frustrated, there is no doubt that her efforts are fruitful. I watched it on dvd over three days because it was long (3 hours). Being an american film, I was expecting the worse in the end. I liked the ending with a definite french flavor. I would even call this a franco-american film. Good acting, we feel the moments as if true. Many awkwards moments made me remember my adolescence.
March 5, 2015
This is a movie I wanted to see for ages. I even tried to track a dvd copy down, but I could never find it at a reasonable price.
My thoughts after finally getting to see it on TV? Thank goodness I never actually purchased it!
Don't get me wrong, acting is good. Story is interesting, but it's sooo long, and Anna's character is a brat I couldn't stand.
Spoiler.......
When she starts rallying to get the bus driver sacked over the accident she caused, I knew I just couldn't with her character. She's always yelling too, just wanted to slap the little madam. Lol.
So, yes, ambitious and well made little movie, but definitely not one to rewatch.(For me, anyhow).
½ February 28, 2015
A potentially interesting character study and complex plot is damaged by a film that is 50% too long and 50% too melodramatic. With more restraint, this could have been a very good film--in this case it's frustrating and average.
February 24, 2015
I found Anna Paquin to be obnoxious.
½ January 24, 2015
can i give it ZERO stars?
what a pretentious, pointless waste of time. i want that 3 hours of my life back!