Maria Full of Grace - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Maria Full of Grace Reviews

July 6, 2015
The first Columbian film I've seen and it's a cracker. You are drawn into the terrifying world of a drug mule and the dangers that come with it. I find such films a lot more gripping and exciting than your typical hollywood action films, it's a shame that not enough people see films like this. If they did, there would be more of them.
½ October 12, 2012
Maria full Of Grace Offers us the point of view of the mule often lost in our depiction of the drug trade through the eyes of Maria Alvarez. with a simple but yet realistic and human story Joshua Martson give us a woman story that is worth our time and our attention.Catalina Sandino Moreno deserves all the praise for making her character and the movie so engaging.
May 5, 2015
A gritty, authentic depiction of what can happen to people as casualties to the Drug Trade, indeed. However, it's NOT a "Good Time" feature. Is depressing as hell. As a curiosity to people who want to understand the underbelly of the Drug Trade & Third-World economics, it's a decent primer, but as a person in Law Enforcement, I thought it was bleak & unrewarding. Without any redemption value, the story was positively documentary as opposed to entertaining in the least.
May 4, 2015
A slowly devastating, realistic film that tells a tale of desperate people forced into horrific circumstances.
½ February 12, 2015
airplane sequence was tense as piss/hell. great raw story. makes you not even want to be a drug mule! :(
½ June 3, 2014
Really nice story, but I feel as if it was missing a lot of elements of a GREAT film.

I wasn't the biggest fan of the book ending... This movie didn't really deserve the happy ending it got... :-/

Regardless, I would recommend this film.
October 16, 2014
Para alejarse un poco del cliché de películas sobre drogas y su drama, se enfoca más en las decisiones de la protagonista. Muy buena.
½ July 20, 2014
A mule's view of geopolitics.
December 19, 2010
I enjoyed this movie. Some part I like that I thought they did a good job in doing was showing that a person could go through in being a drug mule. Two things I didn't like I thought they did a poor job in showing the different obstacles Maria would of gone through in being illegal in a country and as well as I don't think it would of been easy in her situation.
½ February 25, 2014
2014-02-25 excellent, although it was never clear why they took the drugs with them when they fled.
May 15, 2007
This was quite a story to see portrayed on film. Not to be missed.
January 25, 2014
Orgullo latino. Catalina Sandino Moreno es una de las mejores actrices latinoamericanas y me gustaría seguir viéndola en otras producciones con esa naturalidad envidiable.
½ January 13, 2014
This movie was very compelling and shows us how drug trafficking dehumanizes our own beliefs in the dark dangerous parts of our existence. The director brings Maria to the forefront of the movie to not overshadow the drug trafficking but to bring Maria to life on the screen. This flick is very captivating and definitely on the must see list.
December 31, 2013
Great film about Mexican mules coming to America transporting cocaine. Very well done this film feels more like a documentary than an actual movie, all for the better.
December 22, 2013
Okay - so, first time I watched this film was in 2007, grade 11. My Spanish teacher showed it to the whole class. I couldn't be more grateful and I'll always love that woman for this. I'll go out on the limb and say it's the best foreign film I've ever watched. When you can get so engrossed in a film despite only understanding it from its subtitles, you know you're watching a masterpiece. So happy Catalina Moreno got an Oscar nomination for her performance. Highly recommended!
November 21, 2008
There have been many drug movies over the years, but none have been as compelling as this movie. It shines a bright light on the issues of drug smuggling. It show why, and how people do it. Even though the main character is doing something wrong, you still can't help but fell for her. One of my favorite foreign movies of all times.
January 4, 2008
interesting story but, not very exciting
½ June 30, 2012
this is such an amazingly-acted Hispanic flick
it truly explores the horrors of dealing with drugs and bringing them into the US
Catalina Sandino Moreno is a young teenager coming into her own; she lives with her family, works at a dead-end job, is in a rocky relationship with her boyfriend, and desperately wants to leave and make some more money
when she's asked to carrying pill pellets illegally into America she is unaware of the risks and dangers involved
sure there's some money to be made but Maria is thrown into a dark underbelly and some other women are dragged along
the film does involve the drug element and how out of hand it can get even getting detained by airport security but the real strength of the film is in Maria's resistance to partaking in the devastation of the work she has gotten herself into
even her best friend tries to talk some sense into her many times
Maria also has to contend with her pregnancy on the rise and not understanding that she's putting herself at risk
you can tell by her facial expressions that she wants to be a certain way and then another, she has that kind of ability to project a raw emotion for each scene
I felt so bad for her that things got out of control so fast and she couldn't do anything about it
I almost welled up during one scene, too
the film is such a big struggle but it does its job at claiming we should stay away from drugs and try not to make a quick buck because of them no matter how tempting it is
Maria is trying her hardest to still be somewhat 'graceful' as a person doing the right thing and thinking of other people despite the desperate scenario
this is a very good film saying let's not do this and do something else