Marley - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Marley Reviews

½ May 2, 2012
Loved it and learnt a lot about Marley and Jamica's history that I never knew. He really was like a Rasta Gandhi - just loved life. Wonder what he'd think nowadays with so much hate. I left half a star off as I would've liked more explanation where more songs came from. Know this might be hard as only Marley probably knows. One song I really wanted to know more about was Redemption Song - which is probably is biggest and kinda skirted over. "Love, prosperity, unity, Jah..Rastafari"
July 5, 2013
Insightful, absorbing and moving.
½ June 22, 2013
Pretty informational. Great if you love Bob.
June 21, 2013
Awesome documentary!!!! Documentaire génial... à ne pas manquer en ce moment pour ceux qui ont Canal+!
June 19, 2013
Marley is an insightful look into the musical, political, and religious life of the legend Bob Marley that works with remarkable concert footage. The main flaw is McDonald's attempt at making a complete biography of Marley, which means it the length of a complete biography
August 27, 2012
Legend, amazing moving movie!!
½ June 1, 2012
Very interesting movie if you are a Bob Marley fan.. Never realised how much his music had to do with his religion..
June 11, 2013
Interesting insight into the man.
½ June 10, 2013
great doc on a legend
June 9, 2013
Great biopic of a truly inspirational great man. The music is of course superb but the way it is used throughout it gives the biopic more depth and feeling. Brilliant.
June 2, 2013
Missed that one element to make it a near-perfect documentary, but that's just me.
May 17, 2012
A great documentary that takes the proper time to examine Bob Marley from an appropriate number of angles..not only in terms of the music but also of his upbringing, his religion and his various homes which influenced him to go in a number of different directions in life.
½ July 6, 2012
"Marley" is about as ambitious a documentary as Kenneth Lonergan's "Margaret" is a narrative film -- and like the latter, it's a rich, exhausting, ultimately rewarding portrait of emotional connection through music and the power of bringing people together. Of course, brilliant as "Margaret" is, you can't say it isn't depressing as fuck. But, holy shit. We're not here to talk about "Margaret".

Kevin Macdonald had a tricky task in coming at the legacy of an elusive person with "Marley". Rather than outline the caricature of Bob Marley or invade family privacy, Macdonald through eyewitness accounts (family and Wailers band members, etc.) goes for something deeper than the artist himself; to remind us of the peace and unity Marley strived for his whole (too short) life. And also instead of relying on testy political weight, Macdonald handles just about all aspects of Marley's upbringing and career with equal fascination, clarity and respect. In other words everything Bob Marley fought for and sang about in one comprehensive (and for now definitive) epic of one man's message that even long since spoken still today feels just as radiantly everywhere.
July 1, 2012
Larga vida a Mr. Robert Marley. Que joya.
½ April 28, 2013
Great documentary on a great man: the musical and lyrical genius Bob Marley. Thorough: some interviews and performances are pretty rare. Well-told: the interviews and sub-titles move the story forward, not narration.

Director Kevin MacDonald (The Last King of Scotland, One Day in September, Touching the Void, State of Play) weaves an interesting and compelling story. Marley's philosophies and drivers are there for all to see.
½ May 10, 2012
Without doubt a great musician and a man with a good heart but I find it hard to accept a film that glorifies a drug abuser. Drugs cause misery the world over and to promote drug use just makes me sick. The film was nevertheless quite an interesting view of his unfortunately short life.
April 26, 2013
Great Man, Great documentary.
April 26, 2013
I tough it was really interresting to have a view of his life, chilhood, teenage, ect. I could understand more about his lyrics and what he was refeering to. All the people that was chosen for the documentary were pertinent !! Real images (home made film + concerts + interviews) of him are always captivating !! He looks really diciplined and into his principle !!
September 10, 2012
Well crafted portrayal.
September 23, 2012
An amazing history of an incredible human being.