Box Office Guru Wrapup: Marley Takes #1, The Spirit Tanks

Summary

This weekend people were in the mood for movies over Christmas weekend as multiplexes were jam-packed with customers that powered four different new releases to more than $30M in ticket sales each over the long Thursday-to-Sunday holiday session. The Owen Wilson-Jennifer Aniston dog drama Marley & Me led the way with a huge debut that exceeded expectations. Back to Article

Comments

brentknudson311

Brent Knudson

I definitely wasn't expecting Marley & Me to be #1

Dec 28 - 06:08 PM

brentknudson311

Brent Knudson

I definitely wasn't expecting Marley & Me to be #1

Dec 28 - 06:09 PM

stevalex

Steven Alexander

I remember a few weeks ago when posters on all the major boards said they were going boycott Fox movies.

So much for that! Haha.

It just goes to show you that if a studio puts out decent movies, people will come.

Dec 28 - 06:53 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Where's a decent movie? The last weekend of the year is taken by "Marley & Me". The first weekend of the year was taken by "National Treasure: Book of Secrets", also lame. It began like it ended. Blowing. Still a great year in film ladies and gents. I'm gonna dissapear for awhile, it's the January/Febuary/March/April movie season. Hopefully, "Watchmen" will save us all.

Dec 28 - 07:08 PM

oddjob323

kevin strawn

This year wasn't great at all in my opinion. There were many droughts and really only a handful of great movies. Hopefully next year is more like last year.

Dec 28 - 07:26 PM

Random_Jake

Joshua Mills

Why is Twilight still being talked about? It made money. Who cares.

Dec 28 - 07:48 PM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

With the disclaimer that I haven't seen it and cannot say with certainty it is as bad as those god-awful posters make it look, Marley & Me looks like the most treacly, lame-@ss crap I could ever revile being number #1 at the box office. DIE, Career of Jennifer Aniston! DIE! For the love of GOD, DIE! If there is anyone --who I readily confess I do NOT know, personally-- that media over-exposure has made me more sick of than JA, I haven't seen them. GET THE F#CK OUT of my media, you middling-talent annoyance!

Dec 28 - 07:55 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

I saw Benjamin Button twice and now I have another Fincher film to drool over, I am glad to see it doing well but I wish it was doing better. I think I might check out Valkyrie this week. Also no suprise on The Spirit bombing, I can't wait to rent that piece of *****.

Dec 28 - 08:23 PM

Enigmalake

Derek Handelong

I saw Valkyrie, it's quite good (I'm a historical biopic fan though)
I definitely wanna see Benjamin Button
A little surprised by Marley and Me, but I think Owen Wilson is great, so...

The new rule already in effect for 2009
Make a PG movie with lots of starpower and SE and covering the four quadrants and you'll have a success. Four Christmases should've held off a bit? lol

Dec 28 - 08:37 PM

inactive user

Jared King

"The Spirit" probaly a fun B-movie. I'd rent it.

Dec 28 - 09:21 PM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

The Wrestler = Best film of the year

Dec 28 - 09:27 PM

harrismonkey

chris harris

Parents took me to see Marley and me. It's a solid film. Although I really expect Revolutionary Road to be far superior, it actually deals with many of the same issues Rev Road is supposed to touch on. I wouldn't say this film is a must see by any means, but I would absolutely recommend it, and it is very moving. (I'm pretty sure most of the theater was crying at one point)

It was by the guy who did the Devil Wears Prada after all. Don't knock it just because of the ads...

Now hopefully I'll be able to get to Button this week, and hopefully the Wrestler will play near me soon. Those are the ones I really want to see.

Now one last plug for 2008-

My feature "Into the Arms of Strangers" is now available on DVD at Netflix, amazon and some other places!!!

Trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIw1VCd5qZo

Dec 28 - 09:47 PM

TheCaptain of TeamLoyalty

John Webb

Ledawg you are a certifiable retard, National Treasure 2 and Marley and Me are both SOLID flicks, you are a dumb ***. Go jerk off to Dark Knight you ****ing loser.

P.S. For those of us with IQs over 100, go see Marley and Me, the character who plays Sebastian, Owen Wilsons friend, he is a perfect Hal Jordan or Captain America.

Dec 28 - 10:07 PM

buddablz

Jammie Hannah

National Treasure 2 is not a solid flick. National Treasure 1 was solid flick. The sequel had a weak villian and weak plot compared to the first. I'm not saying the first was great.
I'll go check out Valkyrie and Benjamin Button this week though. I laughed when I seen the tv spots for The Spirit where they quote its reviews. I didn't remember seeing those, but I'll check RT to see where those reviews camed from.

Dec 29 - 01:25 AM

ZigBallistic

marshall westbrook

If you are thinking Marley and me is some sappy romantic comedy, your wrong. It's good but it's freakin sad.

Dec 28 - 10:41 PM

Random_Jake

Joshua Mills

Lighten up. You people take these things way too seriously.

Dec 28 - 10:59 PM

thereign

lance berry

Random_Jake;

It's only the "Captain" who takes these things so seriously, because he's an @$$hole with verbal diarrhea who randomly insults people on these boards for no apparent reason, other than that the internet allows any anonymous doofus to have balls of iron.

Hey, Captain, here's a New Year's resolution for you: How about plugging your slophole for ten fu.c.king seconds, and giving us all some peace?

Dec 28 - 11:16 PM

TheCaptain of TeamLoyalty

John Webb

thereign, how about you leave your black panthers meeting, go back to high and try to get an education.

Dec 28 - 11:22 PM

tfortier

Thierry Fortier

Hey captain, you really think National treasure 2 was great?

pfffff...

Dec 28 - 11:39 PM

blattman

Mike Greenblatt

My vote for film of the year is Slumdog Millinaire. Incredible film and higly entertaining. Danny Boyle hits another one out of the park. I can't say enough good things about this film.

Dec 28 - 11:53 PM