Marley & Me Reviews

thmtsang
December 25, 2008
Comedy about a couple who get a dog that takes over their lives. I like the storyline as it is realistic and believable about how life isn't always how you planned it to be but somehow you get through the highs and lows. Good performances from Jen and Owen. The ending is very sad - be warned.
March 24, 2009
At first glance this is a soft fluffy rom-com that offers little more than the usual bent nose of Wilson and Aniston trying her best to ditch her 'Friends' persona.

To this extend it is just that...Wilson is a poor actor and not funny whilst Aniston is another poor actress who also isn't funny and is still like Rachel from Friends haha (doing rom-coms wont help her acting career).

The film is a gentle comedy with romantic issues hehe and is based around the owning of a dog and the main characters ensuing lives with the dog. Its not original but it is a swing which you don't really see coming as you assume its just another stupid 'beethoven' film. It is touching and made well but the main casting is poor and it shows, could of been quite good with a better leading duo.
January 4, 2009
Hands up! I admit it, I actually liked this film, like so many people told me I would. Much more of a film about family struggles, than the soppy puppy story I thought it was going to be.
Directors Cat
½ November 16, 2011
Strong entertaining performances from the cast (including the dogs) and an emotional touch turn it's typical comedic premise into a touching memorable drama. Marley and Me isn't one of those charming yet depressing films in which the message's conveyed stay with you forever. It's one of those ones where your sad in the cinema and then the next day forget all about it. A lot of pet dog movies are like this one, but this one is faithful to a true story and will always stand as a quality family film.
½ November 20, 2011
Marley and Me is well worth a look;. On the plus ledger, it's got a cute dog at every stage of life, Aniston and WIlson as a very believable and sympathetic married couple with real chemistry. This is the real life story of columnist John Grogan and his 'life with dog 'and it feels authentic throughout. Director David 'Devil Wears Prada' Frankel is terrific with comic actors, but this film has nowhere near the sparkle of that modern comic masterpiece.

The story's got a melange of comic bad dog situations and honest, well staged middle class stresses. It also has one of the most affecting and restrained scenes about the death of a beloved pet ever shown in a American film. Owen Wilson can be mannered -his, drawling, 'aw shucks' style is not to everyone's taste, but he shows real acting chops here and the aforementioned scene is his best moment in any of his films. Alan Arkin turns in one of his patented warm, utterly charming performances as Wilson's newspaper boss and lights up the screen in all of his scenes.

That said, the film runs an overlong two hours, and the middle of the story sags terribly with no real palpable conflict unless you count doggie slapstick couch chewing mayhem 'conflict.'. The drama only kicks in at Aniston's perfectly performed stressed out post-partum freak out in the middle. The tearjerker ending, as good as it is, seems to be from a different film than the lighthearted sitcom-like slapstick that precedes it.

This is not a very challenging or surprising film in any way, and is worth a relaxing rental if you don't feel like taxing your brain. Still, it's amiable and pleasant and has a lot to offer. One proviso: If you have recently lost a beloved pet, don't rent this one until you are over your grief.
August 15, 2009
One of the better movies of 2008 I'd say. The dog is great, and Wilson and Aniston actually seem like a real married couple. This movie's funny, heartwarming, and has its drama with sad parts (especially at the end) that'll touch your heart and that you'll probably be able to relate to if you've ever lost a loved one in the form of a pet. Everyone who likes comedy dramas should watch this, or better yet, buy.
DreamExtractor
½ March 2, 2011
Marley is a classic dog movie, they buy it, the love it, has a cliche and sad ending. It follows the real life events of John Grogan (Owen Wilson) and his wife (Jennifer Anniston) who after buying a dog, lives many years of his life having kids, getting a job, and his happy, loving, crazy, dry wall eating dog is always there loving them all. I was moved by this film because I have a Gold Lab myself, and I love my dog. Although it doesn't know if its a drama or a dog comedy, it sure touched my heart. Owen Wilson and Jennifer Anniston were just being themselves, a kind family role that is good for them. This movie was cliche and a little too dramatic, but the rest of the time its a film that'll make you laugh and smile. And I love the moral, that a dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, give him your heart and he'll give you his.
murphmann93
June 23, 2011
So heart breaking. A really amazing film. Jennifer Aniston at her best.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ May 26, 2011
I didn't expect to like Marley& Me, and I haven't read the book. But I did really enjoy it The story is simple, a family live with their crazy dog, and and thus begins a terrific adventure of hilarious mishaps. Marley & Me has a great feel good atmosphere and it really a wonderful family film. However it's very sad too. If you a dog, cat or other pet that you're close too. Well, this film will hit home. Marley & Me is a simple film in its story, it's nothing great really, but it's moving. Theres plenty of hilarious in the film as we see Marley wrecking havoc. This is a film that animal lovers will love, and also in a way, make you love your pets even more. The acting in this film is decent, but the real talent is the dog or dogs that played Marley. Marley & Me is not a film for everyone. I would say this film can connect more to animal lovers. Those who haven't got a dog or cat probably won't understand or like it. The cast do a fine job and I think this one of the better films that Jennifer Aniston has played in. I'm not really a fan of hers, but in this film she's pretty good. Marley & Me is a heartwarming coimedy that is perfect for the family. The film is just as much funny as it is sad and its a nice little film. Not perfect, but it was a very entertaining film, and another good family film worth seeing.
BEACHBUNNI
April 7, 2009
newlyweds John and Jenny Grogan decide to leave behind the harsh winters of Michigan and head south to begin their new lives in Florida. They both secure jobs as journalists at competing local newspapers and buy their first home.Then came Marley~!!!!!.... they decided to get a cute adorable twelve pound Labrador, who in no time at all, grows into a 100 pound beast with so much uncontrolled energy that he turns there home into a disaster area~!!!!!!!!
i gave this movie a 4 star rating as i just loved it~!
i laughed lots and yes cried too...need the box of tissues for this one girls (and some guys lol)
July 29, 2010
i really liked this movie a lot. it was funny and sad. i loved the ending. B+
January 6, 2009
Obviously adorablebvio
November 3, 2008
Didn't quite hit as hard as the book, but it was wonderful. Hilarious, sweet, sad... and emotional roller coaster ride. Completely worth a viewing. One scene at the end with the little boy nearly killed me too. Have some kleenex ready, especially if you are a dog owner.
½ January 13, 2010
What a heartwarming film! This is one of the few movies that ever made me cry!
LWOODS04
½ April 26, 2009
Owen Wilson, Jennifer Aniston, Eric Dane, Nathan Gamble, Lucy Merriam, Finley Jacobsen

An ambitious young reporter, John Grogan, and his wife, Jenny, also a reporter, move to a Florida, buy a house and adopt a Labrador puppy they name Marley. Marley quickly becomes a rollicking force of nature in their lives.
Loved this movie. Everyone said it would be sad and it was. Such a good movie though. Jennifer Aniston and Owen Wilson were great together. I liked them more together then anyone they have ever done movie's with. Just made the couple feel very real. Great chemistry. The kids at the end just breaks your heart. The dog was awesome. Such a beauty. The way Marley was in the movie is how my dog Mollee was. She was insane and knew no boundaries. But she was amazing, gorgeous and it's always sad when you loose that special friend. Great movie, well done, with great performances by all. Loved it.
ScoopOnline
December 1, 2009
So Lovely
FiLmCrAzY
February 15, 2009
OMG this is so cute! Probably the sweetest movie ive seen his year!!
A great cast and one hell of a cute doggie that makes you want one really badly !
Its funny, cute, believable and so sad towrads the end i couldnt stop crying!
John and Jenny Grogan are two reporters/columists that world changes when they buy a new dog but dramatically changes when Jenny becomes pregnant for the first time, the eventually move to florida for John to take up a better job but its nt exactly what he really wants!
This movie takes you through having a disruptive dog to parenthood with all the bad but also fantastic moments of being a parent!
And that companionship to a dog is probably the best relationship to ever have as a dog doesnt ask for much just food, somewhere warm to sleep at night and a loving family a lovely comedy/drama real lovely story!
July 31, 2009
"A dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about?"

To be honest, I wasn't that anxious to see this film. Why is that? Well, the first reason that comes in mind is the cast. Wilson and Aniston are nice actors but I've seen a bit too much of 'em lately. And I really couldn't give a flying fuck about her baby plans or whom she's dating... I'll give my main reason at the end.

John and Jenny Grogan are a good looking, recently married young couple. Of course it's logical to plan a future with a house, kids and a dog. They just happen to choose a discount Labrador puppy, that turns out to be "the world's worst dog". Little do they know that Marley will bring the best out of 'em...

'Marley and Me' is a so called nice film. It has well known performers that will guarantee a good time. The story has its funny moments but also many heartwarming scenes that will surely jerk some tears out of you. If you have a heart, that is...

The performers do a decent job but I especially want to mention an old favourite of mine, Kathleen Turner. Nice to see her again on the big screen. Almost forgot her completely but when I saw her, she brought a lot of good memories from my movie past. Another good performer is Alan Arkin. These two end up stealing the film from its biggest stars.

Now, the main reason why I didn't almost see 'Marley and Me'... The dog. I love dogs, always had dogs and always will. But you all know what will happen in the movie that features a dog. I'm not gonna mention it, because I don't wanna "spoil" it for you. But I've seen so many dog movies in the past and I always see myself crying like a fuckin' baby in the end. Friends come and go but your true friend, your best friend will never leave you alone. It'll stay with you til the end, listen to your worries and joys...

'Marley and Me' is a good movie for a romantic night with your companion. It'll bring you laughter and tears. What more could you ask for? But it doesn't bring anything new to the genre, seen it all before just in different ways.
½ April 24, 2009
A very enjoyable and satisfying movie in its genre.