Marley & Me: The Puppy Years Reviews

October 26, 2011
Never heard of it, but saw this, apparently a sort of prequel to one of my favorite movies in recent years, if not ever...so I went ahead and rented it...unfortunately. It's ok, but more for kids, in my opinion. It's watchable for adults but it's really just using the name of a popular movie to get people to buy it. And for it to be called "The Puppy Years", it sure doesn't show Marley grow up much. Instead, it's all centered around training him for one competition. A couple laughs scattered here and there but not much else...who expected it to be one of those films where the animals talk? I sure didn't. I usually like movies like that, but this one was eh.
October 25, 2011
I absolutely hate sequels or prequels that steal the name of one movie, but have absolutely nothing to do with it. This movie on its own wasn't great either - of course the puppies were cute but that was pretty much it.
½ November 18, 2014
What the heck happened? Marley can talk now? This movie is more for kids then the first one.
½ June 28, 2014
The tagline for this film is "The world's worst dog is back". Which, unless you focus on the phrase "worst dog" , is a complete lie.

Attempting to plunder a segment of the "Air Buddies" market, this film takes a recognised dog name and deflowers the concept. There is no connection to the original "Marley & Me" film beyond the name; and we are asked to ignore the fact that the puppy years were already dealt with in that film. Now Marley can talk, he has a different owner, and is entered in the kill-or-be-killed world of a local puppy training competition. Will and avoid this naughty dog stay focussed
and avoid trouble? No.

It is interesting to note a number of review sites that list some gentle name-calling and fart jokes as things to be aware of if you plan on showing this film to kids. What they don't seem to mention is the casual racism (Germans as the bad-guys, african-americans as inept jive talking service workers, the worst Australian accent ever spoken), or the cruelty to animals (shocked collars used to discipline etc). But post-colonial criticisms and PETA aside, we should not forget this film is for kids.

And you get what you expect. Nothing more. An adult audience will be able to predict the lines of dialogue before they are spoken for the entirety of the excruciating 90 minutes. The characters are two dimensional, the plot contains a number of non-sequiturs, as does the script. There is even a pie in the face gag, during the puppy show. Now I ask you, who is carrying around a cream pie in a dog show?

I was hoping for a dark turn at some point; where Marley would be forced to compete in an underground dog-fight to the death, but it never happened. I would have been happy with a leg-humping gag.

The half a star is for the Marley and Me rap song that plays in the credits, and for the thought that perhaps out there is someone who knows all the words.
½ April 29, 2014
this movie is such bs, and extremely cheesy. It's a complete upset compared to Marley & me. Michael Damian, this movie sucked. I MEAN SUCKED.
½ June 4, 2012
Entretenida, pero ┬┐Marley habla? Que fraude...
½ April 27, 2012
Marley can talk now? Not what I expected at all. This movie lost my attention after 13 minutes.
½ January 27, 2012
Even as a kids movie this is bad as it gets.
½ January 20, 2012
I admit, I watched the entire movie but my fifteen month old girl watched the dogs run around for about five minutes and gave up.
½ January 5, 2012
this was horrible they ruined the image of the first one
November 25, 2011
Marley and Me 2 is the most disappointing film ever. Just another stupid cheesy film with talking animals. It's a shame though because the first film is such a beautiful drama, which made me cry so much every time I watched it. No wonder it went straight to DVD.
½ November 12, 2011
couldn't sit through the whole thing...terrible