Marooned

100% Orphan Black: Season 2

Marooned Reviews

AJ V

September 5, 2010
Yes, the story sounds interesting and the cast has some very famous people, but by the middle of the movie it gets incredibly boring and predictable, and it's slow too. I didn't like it, but it wasn't all bad either.
Daniel H

August 30, 2008
It unfolds slowly, with realistic but often no cinematic purpose. As the last quarter of the film approaches, it regains its cinematic credentials and regains a tense, anxious air.

It truly shines when understood in its timeframe, between the Moon Landing and Apollo 13 incident. It covers the same ground that many later Space Race dramas would cover, and often covers them with better humanity and thoroughness.

An excellent window into this tense stage of space-travel... and if it fails occasionally as a film, it can be excused for what it lets us watch with a sense of authenticity and honesty.
DrBenway
DrBenway

June 22, 2008
In 1969, this was accepted as science fiction. A year later, the country would be hanging on their seats when a similar thing happened to the astronauts of Apollo 13. The visual effects are very good for their time. Like Stanley Kubrick, John Sturges realizes that the most effective special effects are of the more subtle, artful variety.

Marooned may be slow-paced at times, but it certainly is worth investing in and especially for those who are fans of science fiction who also want an intelligent, well made film
Anthony V

July 9, 2008
Taunt drama with great cast.
alanjayh
alanjayh

May 17, 2008
big stars, big letdown...seriously outdated, moves slowly and way too dry!
December 19, 2013
Suspenseful space-rescue film that could be considered a companion piece to "Gravity!" While that film was more action oriented, "Marooned" is about the characters and what they go through.

The performances are excellent throughout. And, the film builds the tension carefully and wisely as the stakes get higher as the film moves towards its conclusion.

The visual effects won an Oscar in 1969. They are no where near the level of 1968's "2001: A Space Odyssey," but that isn't a surprise, as effects never got back to that level until 1977 with "Star Wars" and "Close Encounters of the Third Kind."
June 26, 2011
There's a LOT of technobabble in this film. There are entire scenes consisting of people checking all the various equipment. Some of these scenes work, but others are painfully slow. This movie takes a long time to get going, but once it does, it's an entertaining space thriller. Gene Hackman is especially good as one of the marooned astronauts. The final 20 minutes or so are truly suspenseful (I kept yelling out loud at the screen) and are a mostly satisfying conclusion to the long build-up.
jam233
November 14, 2009
It's an interesting story that is a little too often slow moving, a lot of it due to the unnecessary two plus hour length. Fine cast, the acting is good. Very well produced and the special effects are great.
xandiXlizXmackix
June 25, 2009
In this desperate situation three astronauts are trapped in a cramped metal vessel with no power. Outside there is no heat and air, and the Earth is 200 miles below. After completing a space mission the Ironman One is in orbit and preparing for re-entry. But a retro-rocket misfires, and Jim Pruett, Clayton Stone, and Buzz Lloyd are Marooned in space. Back on Earth, mission control plans an incredible rescue while the whole world anxiously waits.

Directed by John Sturges, Marooned features good acting perfomances from the following cast:
1.) Richard Crenna (Jim Pruett)
2.) James Franciscus (Clayton Stone)
3.) Gene Hackman (Buzz Lloyd)
4.) Gregory Peck (Charles Keith)

When I first saw Marooned I sat down frozen while not knowing this was actually a dramatic thriller - in space. Like 2001 the story was too slow for me, though there is no moving orchestral music to listen to here. Nevertheless, the story of a rescue mission in space is an appealing one, a disaster to deal with and would remind me of the real-life Apollo 13 mission a year later.
December 29, 2008
Excellent! Before Armageddon and Apollo 13, there was Marooned. Very impressive and still holds up today!
January 4, 2014
My 2nd Xwife had more air than these guys.
March 23, 2013
Many of the reviews of this movie differ from mine (ie are WRONG). This movie is suspenseful and thoroughly entertaining. The movie centers on the people below (not above) and their furious efforts to save the astronauts above them. The fast action on the ground is contrasted with inaction of the helpless heroes stranded above. The conflict and material differences between the people below about how to proceed are the most interesting part of this film. I enjoyed and recommend this film.
David J.
March 21, 2013
I didn't like the way the end of the movie dragged on. But from a 2013 perspective I liked watching Peck, Jannsen, Fransiscus, Crenna and Hackman, and the way the Soviets got involved. I noticed on the capsule of the Soviet ship the letters CCP. I remember those days and the letters CCCP represent USSR. They left out a C on the capsule.
June 12, 2012
"Marooned" is not a film for everyone; it is space science fiction filmed in 1969, which already says a lot. I had seen this film on television many years before and enough details from the adventure stayed in my memory to enable me to re-discover it. Due to today's highly advanced film production techniques, the attempts to re-create a believable and convincing space setting here have clumsy, at times laughable, results. Still, the actors involved do not acknowledge the film's silly technical limitations and play their roles convincingly, which helps to look past any visual flaws. The storyline is interesting, as three astronauts are, well, marooned in orbit, the mundane NASA makes plans to attempt a proper, yet risky, rescue mission. The protagonists' role in the film is mostly based on their patience and long hours of waiting, which is why the film is not action-packed and progresses rather slowly, which at times, I admit, was tedious. Tension builds as time starts to run out and the NASA director informs the men that they're carrying enough oxygen to ensure the survival of two of the astronauts, but not three. It is up to them to decide who will live. Though the film is carried through realistically (in terms of story), the entertainment is often lacking. Better directing might have reduced this two-hours-and-nine-minutes film into a more watchable one-hour-and-forty-minutes.
Dave J
June 19, 2012
Tuesday, June 19, 2012

(1969) Marooned
SCIENCE-FICTION/ DRAMA

That's basically all it is, is astronauts being marooned up at space which is so uneffective and dull in comparison to "Apollo 13" and "The Right Stuff"- this film can put anyone to sleep with all the pointless blah, blah, blahing. Won an Oscar for special effects competing with!!!!!!!!

1 out of 4
March 11, 2012
Boring story that doesn't offer very much and leaves a bland taste in your mouth. I've seen this as 'Space Travelers' on MST3K which is really the best way to watch this movie. There's nothing too interesting but there are some nice effects and shots of space.
distantfires
November 19, 2010
Every thing you want in thriller. This movie won an Oscar for Special Effects. Excellent directing by John Sturges and cinematography by Daniel Flapp. The cast, led by Gregory Peck, had just the right amount of cold, technical professionalism and concern for their colleagues to put the story over the top. "Marooned" is equal to "Apollo 13" and that is high praise.
October 11, 2010
In the year man stepped on the moon, this movie brings a lot of interesting connotations and extreme situations. The coldness of space is amplified by the coldness of the technical protocols and disintegrated by the power of human choice.
starlett2005
September 1, 2009
Based in great performances by Gregory Peck, Richard Creena, Gene Hackman, David Jansen and all the great crew, this Apollo-era film is a good movie for entertaining and a short view of the Space Program in the early 70's. I also thought the direction was great. The space scenes are part of the movie, not the movie itself and, well, was 1970, the chroma effects were still simple. Still, the acting quality is the best value of Marroned. Please take a look and make your own opinion. I love it!