Marriage Italian Style Reviews

½ April 18, 2015
I due interpreti hanno dato vita a performance migliori, alla fine ne esce fuori una commedia piacevole che tende a dilungarsi un po' troppo sul finale.
March 30, 2015
good rom-com saw again recently & its still funny
March 4, 2015
An Italian delight that finds an enviable balance between comedy and drama and never drops the ball, with Sophia Loren in a surprising performance lending an impressive complexity to a character that could have easily turned into a caricature - comedy- or melodrama-wise.
½ August 22, 2014
A lovely screwball comedy featuring the 2 legends of Italian cinema, Sophia Loren and Marcello Mastroianni.
½ June 14, 2014
A fairly entertaining Italian melodrama.
½ December 12, 2013
I loved this film and I absolutely love the chemistry between Mastroianni and Loren. The comedy is fantastic and the plot twists are an absolute delight.
June 29, 2013
Marriage Italian Style is one of those rare classics that offers not only steaming sex, sophisticated style, witty dialogue, and great acting, but most important of all: a great story line. It is also rare to see actors whose performances outshine their physical appearance when that appearance is so extraordinary to begin with. Such is the case with classic.
January 2, 2013
Not as good as "Divorce, Italian Style", its still entertaining and has its funny moments. Plus it has both Sophia Loren who is excellent in this film as well as Mastroianni.
December 28, 2012
I really want to give this a higher rating, because this is some brilliant movie making from some of the greatest actors of all time. But the ending just falls apart for me. 22 years of abuse (yes, abuse) and we get that ending? I don't get it.
October 14, 2012
Sophia Loren and Marcello Mastroianni are wonderful together in "Marriage Italian Style" even when there's nothing but hate between them. Watching them interact with one another is almost reason enough to recommend "Marriage Italian Style," but there's more to it than just these two performers. The script is clever in how it continues to throw these two characters in and out of love with one another and in order for it to work it requires focused, cohesive direction, which Vittorio De Sica is willingly able to provide.
August 17, 2012
Can anyone do comedy better than the Italians? Its hard to imagine how that would be possible.
August 13, 2012
This movie was just boring. A young, pretty Sophia Loren but that's about it. I really tried to like this movie but I couldn't..it bored me to death.
½ July 14, 2012
and again this two nasty artists made an excellent film!

I like this line:
"How can he have a heart attack without having a heart?!"
June 13, 2012
This is pure comedy! It has a great duo: Sophia and Marcello. It has a moving storyline that's brought together by drama and comedy. Every second of this movie is pure heaven!
½ June 8, 2012
I could not take my eyes off her,
May 10, 2012
Absolutely wonderful movie, with laughs, romance, sad stuff, suspense, everything you could ask for. And great cinematography and acting and blah blah blah. Just see it. Sophia Loren is brilliant. Hugely underrated actress. And De Sica is a genius.
½ March 9, 2012
A tragic comedy that only can be Italian. Loren is superb as the prostitute turned .................. erm, personal mistress? Marcello Mastroianni as the ever suffering Domenico puts in a great performance. Another fine De Sica Neapolitan fairytale.
December 13, 2011
2: This one just didn't work for me and not just because of Loren. I just wasn't terribly engaged in the story. The fractured timeline and plot seemed a little hackneyed to me as well. Many directors working today seem to have gotten this trick down, which just makes this earlier attempt that much more abrasive.
August 25, 2011
The film employs a tremendously perky rhythm and register to showcase the traits of the earthly Italy at its post-war development, even though essentially the overwrought kernel of a prostitute's tribulations could hardly appropriate as a comedy material.

Vittorio De Sica's camera enigmatically haunts and pivots around two leads' present and past, the intangible love/hate chaos is disarmingly intriguing and subconsciously imbues the audience with a fervent compassion towards Sophia Loren's unswerving while passionate Filumena. The leading performance is worth of much accolade, especially for Sophia Loren, whose full-brown force of personality spanning over 20 years in the film and undisputedly devotes a magnificent performance with all her zest and vigor. Marcello Mastroianni, is great as well, to hone up his versatility and render the womanizer an ambiguous moral criterion which is a more delicate task.

I cannot help being fascinated by the exquisite script as well, credited by five names, no wonder all the twists and turns are so fruitful in a way that both surprising and amusing. Nominated for 2 Oscars (BEST FOREIGN FILM and a second BEST ACTRESS nomination for Loren) and is a milestone which not only represents Loren's heyday but also is a comforting fruition of Loren-Conti correlation. Maybe it is not director De Sica's best canon due to its slight superficiality of machismo, which I sense may not be the director's fault as it is a general bias lies in all over the globe. Anyway, the film itself surely is a fine piece captures a genuine Italian aura (the Naples' style) and definitely worth your pocket.
½ August 18, 2011
"Matrimonio all'italiana" is one seriously underrated foreign film. Sophia Loren and Marcello Mastroianni are obviously the most talented and most celebrated Italian actors of all time, and though this was my first time viewing them together on the big screen, and out of their many pairings, it's a treat. Domenico (Mastroianni) and Filumenna (Loren) have been together for almost twenty-two years, and the relationship is suddenly stopped when Domenico decides to marry somebody else. In a desperate attempt, Filumenna pretends to be on her deathbed so he will marry her. It works, but Domenico isn't happy. "Matrimonio all'italiana" is one of the many films that paired up Loren with masterful director Vittorio de Sica. I have always thought of him as "her director" because it seems like all of her best films he directed. One of those cases settles here. I was expecting this to just be a lighthearted, funny, Italian rom-com, but oddly enough I didn't get that. OK, sure, the first half is, but after that, no. The first half is just flashbacks, and when the present sets in, that when some super dramatic, tear-jearking stuff comes along. The first hour I was thinking, "Sophia got nominated for this?" but clearly I was not far enough into the movie. Actresses can play middle-aged with makeup and a creaky voice, but this time Loren steps into the role and is very very good, thus giving a totally deserved Oscar nod, and Mastroianni deserves his Golden Globe nomination too. Their performances are moving, and when their characters go through a huge transformation from selfish to selfless, they pull it off effortlessly. We get the best of the actors and the director here, a very good script, and a good view of Italy. What's not to like? "Matrimonio all'italiana" is a good film to see on Instant Watch. Highly recommended.