67% The Maze Runner Sep 19

—— New Girl: Season 4
83% Sons of Anarchy: Season 7

Mars Needs Moms Reviews

May 17, 2011
The film's failure at critical and financial doesn't matter. What's matter is that the film's heart holds the ultimate treasure (in lesson and message) to show what you can't live without, backed-up with nice visuals. (A)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording probably)
November 13, 2011
(First and only viewing - 11/22/2011)
January 24, 2014
Visually charming and boosting colors dazzling enough to compliment it's theme.

It's premise may be too much for the more sensitive crowd, but that's the risk an artist takes and Mars Needs Moms is definitely art. The story, though feeling artificial, is definitly unique and the film's writing gives it it's own flavor.
That said, Mars doesn't need mars. It needs more time for it's good points to become more apparent and give it the props it deserves.
November 14, 2010
***SPOILER WARNING***

Questions that really need to be answered, stat:

1. Why can't the Martians breathe in Mars' atmosphere? And what *are* they breathing? Is it air? How does that work? Where did they get it from? Is there a natural underground air depot on Mars?

2. How are Martian babies made? No, seriously. This bothers me. "They pop out of the ground every 25 years"? Uh, no. If that were the case, why would they even need two sexes? There is clearly some kind of fertilization going on. Try again.

3. Why are the Martian still watching Earth television from the '60s? It does not take fifty years for television signals to travel from Earth to Mars. Is the adopted slang amusing? Yes. Is it believable? No.

Questions aside, it's a pretty alright move. Not very pretty, and Seth Green's baby face is very, very disturbing, but an alright movie. I'm a bit puzzled as to its message though, because there doesn't seem to be a point. Be a polite and helpful kid? Your mom will get abducted by aliens. Be a bratty, ungrateful kid? Yeah, your mom will still get abducted by aliens.

You know what would have been awesome? If Milo's mom would have died in the helmet scene. Because I was sitting there going "No way. There's no way they're going to... Yesssss. Oh man, this is the most depressing children's movie I've ever seen". But then George/Gribble saved the day and ruined everything.

In short, watch WALL-E instead. It's prettier and has more space.
May 28, 2014
This Disney movie got slammed at the box office, however it is not as terrible as all that. It's got decent motion capture animation and a dream-like quality. The story is completely unbelievable, but tells a moral and tries to warm your heart. Seth Green got hosed on his voice talent - they replaced his with that of an 11 year olds - but it is a watchable and somewhat enjoyable movie.
October 21, 2013
Mal animada, pero buen guion. Lástima que las historias secundarias un poco flojas, no suficientes para apoyar la principal
Sebastian O.
April 1, 2014
One of the top 5 worst animated films I've ever seen. Utterly boring, weird-looking, and the fact that the 9-year-old protagonist is voiced by a 40-year-old man doesn't help.
March 29, 2014
Not all bad, but does more wrong than right.
Peyton M.
March 21, 2014
LAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This movie gets a 4 1/2/10.
Channing Tatum
February 23, 2014
Mars Needs Moms has a good heart, but the story wasn't very interesting and the animation just creeped the shit outta me.
January 15, 2014
Name evacuates people and no wonder. Anything what starts with the word 'mars' and included with 'moms', it will make you wanna puke, but not everything isn't wrong with this film. Ending is predictable and too happy. Gribble is way too weird.
January 1, 2014
No expectations or 3D and it turned out a good rental fro the family, mom liked the message too.
December 28, 2013
A fun children's film boasting some impressive design and animation work (once one's eyes acclimatise to the motion capture used for the humanoid characters). Seth Dusky provides a naturalistic performance voicing lead character Milo and is ably assisted by an array of colourful characters. Whilst not an out-and-out classic, Mars Needs Moms is much better than the wash of negative reviews would have one think and is an underrated Disney gem that I would happily revisit in the future.
December 6, 2013
With a fascinating idea based on a book, a well-told story, a wonderfully-crafted script full of fine dialogue by Simon Wells and Wendy Wells, a top-notch voice cast headed by Seth Munsky, Joan Cusack and Dan Fogler, great directing by Simon Wells, beautiful visuals, awesome scenes and sequences and a dynamic pace and flow, Mars Needs Moms is a Disney adventure you won't want to miss.
Hayden L.
December 5, 2013
A great animated feature with some fantastic visuals.
October 22, 2013
A new low for animation. Proves even Disney is not safe when it comes to terrible films and wasting money.
Luke Tegan
July 1, 2012
Mars needs moms and movie producers need to stop making stupid movies
The Movie King
September 11, 2013
Mars Needs Moms. Looking at the title right away, I knew the film was going to be an epic disaster of all proportions, and it didn't shock me that the film became one of the biggest box-office flops to come out of Hollywood in recent years. Curious of why it flopped, I decided to check the film out for myself and see why the film notoriously bombed. It turned out that the film is one of the biggest movie-watching mistakes I've ever made in my life. Mars Needs Moms is truly a bomb, and I don't mean it's spectacularly good.

The film is about a boy named Milo who's sick of doing chores for his mom, wishing that he didn't need one. He finds out the hard way that he needs a mom when she is abducted by Martians from the planet Mars. Milo hitches a ride to the planet, and discovers that the aliens intend to eliminate her brain and give it to robots to teach their alien children to behave. Teaming with fellow human Gribble, who had a similar life-changing experience as a kid, Milo races to save his mom before it's too late.

Now I have to admit. I love motion-capture technology, especially in animated films. I was highly impressed by the facial techniques in The Polar Express and A Christmas Carol, along with Steven Spielberg's The Adventures of Tintin. Here, the technology is a waste. The landscapes are a ginormous, boring, wasted mess, the characters look like they're half-asleep all the time, and the aliens look as though it was imitated in a Star Wars movie. Robert Zemeckis, who directed both Polar Express and Christmas Carol, and produced this, should be ashamed of being involved in wasting technology he helped pioneer. No wonder why Disney shut his company down after the film flopped!

The characters and the voice actors clearly wasted their talents here. Seth Green voices the kid Milo, and it looked like he is going to play the part well, but what ruined it was at the last second, Disney redubbed his voice with literally an annoying bratty kid who sounds like Jake Lloyd. Man that was false advertising. Especially in the credits, you see a making of the film where you hear Green's actual voice, and it's not as annoying as what we ended up getting. So I had no sympathy for the kid. Dan Fogler voices Grubble the Mars nerd, and is also very annoying. If a guy like that was living in my house, I would easily send him off to a mental institution, especially toward the end when he desires to fall for a rebel alien female. Man this guy's sick! I thought this was a Disney movie! As for the alien I mentioned, voiced by Elisabeth Harnois, she's even more annoying than the Green redubbed kid and Fogler combined. When the character starts to act like hippies, I completely lost it. Joan Cusack voices the mom, and while her voice works well as Jessie the cowgirl in the Toy Story films, here, I was annoyed again. If she was my mom, I would disown myself. End of story. And finally, Mindy Sterling voices the alien leader, and is also very annoying, mostly because her character mostly speaks in alien language and there's no translation/subtitles to hear what she's saying. The alien sounds like, "ALOASJDVHWOIEJFHQLAJEFHBOLSEJDGHFOSLDJHFGVLSZEDJYFBVALSZ,EDKRFYHBVLCIUKRJYCVGBL,RKFJHBCLS.RUCBHVN;ELRUFBCHVN ;OSITRFYGHJFSEDRUKFYGHBVN;OSRIFJKHBSEVO;ITRUFHGBVN;OD!" and I couldn't get a word of it. Pretty lazy for the director's part.

If it's Disney, I know that I'm going to receive the best family experience possible. In Mars Needs Moms, I left the film feeling depressed, offended, and literally confused. The story where the aliens abduct the moms, kill them, and take their brains out is something that would definitely scar a kid for life, especially if a 5-year-old was watching this. Man did I feel bad for little kids who ended up watching this on opening weekend. The story also confused me. The aliens abduct the moms from kids who hate their moms and also from certain kids who love their moms? WHAT??????? Also, the part where it's revealed that the alien wants to give the mom brains to robots to teach the alien girls and send the male population to the dumpster with the "dumb" alien "ape" males got me extremely offended. If a film depicts men as stupid apes and women as the higher species, then that draws the line there. I thought Disney was the studio who believed in good quality family entertainment and moral values for every member. I felt none of that when watching this. People made the right thing when avoiding this.

John Powell, who generally excels in scoring animated films, really disappoints here. There was literally nothing in the score that excited me, moved me, or put me in suspense. Like about everything else, as Lena Lamont says in Singin' in the Rain, "I CANNNNNN'T STAND IT!"

I would have given this a 0%, but I did enjoy the use of Queen's "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" during the end credits which raised my overall score a little bit. Even with that one small redeeming factor, there was almost nothing that truly excited or wowed me in Mars Needs Moms. The premise is stupid, the motion-capture animation is the worst I've experienced, the characters are annoying and voice talent wasted, the story will likely scar every young kid for life and offend every male in America, and the score is an epic disappointment. Man I'm glad I didn't waste my money watching this and checked it out at the library instead. Now I completely understand why this film flopped. And I must say, it truly deserves it, more so than The Lone Ranger.
August 31, 2013
Innerspace fumbling about. This is inventive but not really entertaining.
August 24, 2013
I did find it just a tad unoriginal and boring at times, but the animation alone is worth seeing this one. It's very good. Even the people look more realistic then in most Animation films.

Basically the plot is paper thin: Aliens use the DNA from stern mothers to power Robots to take care of their Alien babies. One boy steals a ride to Mars to save his mom before that happens.

It should be known that while Seth Green is billed as the lead, all he did was the motion capture stuff, as his voice was later redubbed by a younger child.

I really enjoyed Fogler here. His animation is very good and his voice work gives the film it's only real life.

The detail on the Aliens was pretty solid as well.

It just wasn't very fun, despite looking really great.