One of the Most Under-Appreciated Films I Know

How did this film not receive any kind of Academy Award nomination?
Best Picture? Best Actress? (Olsen) Best Actor? (Hawkes) Best Director?
It has only a 71% Tomatometer and a 7/10 rating on IMDB.
I saw this film over a month ago and it was so emotionally powerful I can't stop thinking about it.
It's without a doubt one of my Top 10 Favourite films since 2000 and I don't understand why it's gone so unnoticed and under-appreciated to a large extent.
And I can't stress how incredible Elizabeth Olsen was in this film. She has a bright future ahead of her from what I can see.
Taylor Schleich
12-26-2012 07:21 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Danny M.

Danny Malone

I could see a nomination for Olsen. I could see a nomination for Durkin. The film was well acted and the direction was pretty much flawless. That being said, I can't see even a nomination for best picture. The screenplay was god awful. The dialogue between the sisters was completely unbelievable. For me it ruined the movie. Also, I hated the ending. It's not that I don't like open ended films. I generally do, but in this instance it just didn't do it for me. There was a lot to appreciate here, but overall I feel it was a pretty big letdown.

Mar 7 - 06:03 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

This is a little gem of a film that should have gotten more awards love. Olsen was fantastic, as was Hawkes. What's more of a bummer is the 2011 nominees were pretty lame, while films like this, Drive, and Girl With the Dragon Tattoo were more deserving of a best picture nomination than most of that year's nominees.

Feb 23 - 11:54 PM

Tory Lee

Tory Lee

Total agreement. I was shocked that Olsen wasn't at least nominated for best actress.

Feb 10 - 02:51 PM

Susan Hamlett

Susan Hamlett

Agree.

Jan 24 - 04:12 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile