• PG, 1 hr. 46 min.

Martian Child Reviews

DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 5, 2011
Martian Child has potential, but fails to bring anything new. The plot is basically, kid thinks hes an alien, a guy adopts him, they become father and son, the end. I would be lying if I said there chemistry was not great, because I loved them together. John Cusack is good but this kid was the palest, whiniest, and highest pitched voice kid ever and I didn't like him. Overall its really boring, but its a good father and son movie.
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

November 15, 2010
Second time I've seen this film and its everything it was when I first saw it on the big screen, outstanding. Bobby Coleman awesome child actor, had me believing he was from Mars, John Cusack played the adopted Dad, and did all he was supposed to do. And the very beautiful Amanda Peet was stellar and was everything most women are not. The move is about a orphan who thinks he's from mars and is up for adoption. 5 Stars a Good Clean Family Film.
Alexis N

September 6, 2010
This movie was soooooo cute. The kind of cute that has you in tears by the end of it. The acting was great and John Cusack is so warm.
From tragic roots these two guys find each other to form this odd couple. I really liked it. Makes me want to watch all man-finds-young-boy-to-befriend movies.. wait, maybe not all of them.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

November 29, 2007
This is a cute heart warming movie which a love between a lonely and heart broken child and a man grows stronger and is a really cute lovely film
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

November 2, 2007
Martian Child is one of those quiet movies that many people won't see. Those who don't see it will miss it. I can understand why it's sitting quiet: not much promotion, and who would it appeal to? There is no CGI, no car chases, no undue violence, only a brief kiss, and the movie isn't partof a trilogy. People who want plot that is not clichéd, and meaningful dialogue will search the movie out. It's aimed at the heart, and touches the emotions. It makes a person realize how important it is to have people in your life who will never, ever, ever, ever give up on you. Even when it looks like you are from Mars. John Cusack is not an actor I am drawn to, yet this movie changed my mind. He has depth, wit, and range I hadn't noticed before. Even if the movie doesn't get wild acclaim, it has a quiet understatement that I hope gets noticed. We all need to belong, and have at least one person believe in us.
Dean L

June 13, 2008
I have always been a John Cusack fan and even happier when he teams up with his sister Joan (love her) so I am pretty much assuredly going to watch most movies he comes out with.
I saw some mixed reviews on this one and got burned by "Serendipity," but liked the premise of "Martian Child" so I forgave a little.
Eccentric writer ostracized in his early childhood for being "odd" loses his wife and finds his calling in being the father to an adopted son who is even odder than he was.
The movie is charming even though sometimes it pushes the message too far and occasionally relies on heavy cliche. This is a very moving tale made even more moving in light of the fact that it was based on a true story. There is a 13 minute extra where the writer and his "Martian child" do a bit of a retrospective on how the story was written based upon their relationship, trials and tribulations and that the child in the film is, in fact, a mirror to his own adopted son (who we do get to meet).
This tidbit makes the film that much more special.
A good movie about being true to oneself and not compromising your heart in the face of any external influences as well as accepting others for exactly who they are.
Check it out.
Leigh R

September 20, 2007
So cute.
Jose Z

November 2, 2007
Martian Child is a inspiring, tender, touching and emotional movie that will reach you to the deepest part of your heart. Its a movie that contains a lot of drama and also a little bit of comedy. The story is very good and interesting. Based on an award-winning short story by sci-fi luminary David Gerrold, "Martian Child' is directed by Menno Meyjes, it is about a recently widowed science fiction writer (John Cusack) who forms an unlikely family with a close friend (Amanda Peet) and a young boy he adopts that claims to be from Mars. Its cast is excellent, John Cusack in the leading role gives us a wonderful performance, the kid Bobby Coleman delivers an outstanding acting job, his chemistry on screen with John Cusack is really good. Amanda Peet as John Cusack's character is very convincing, Joan Cusack's secondary role gives a big support in the movie and A brief but convincing special appearance from Angelica Huston. To conclude, this is a heart touching movie that for moments turns a bit corny but pretty enjoyable in general.
Megan S

April 8, 2008
Very cute and sweet. It lost my interest in the middle somewhere but then it sucked me in again at the end.
Bannan i

Review TBA.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

November 23, 2007
Very close to the heart movie that really gets to you. The romantic drama "Martian Child" stars John Cusack as a recently widowed science fiction writer who forms an unlikely family with a close friend and a young boy he adopts that claims to be from Mars. The new couple ignores some sage parenting advice from the widower's sister and gets more than they bargained for when a series of strange occurrences lead them to believe that the child's claim may be true.
Daniel P

November 2, 2007
Cute movie; a few really, really good scenes strung together by dental floss and bubble gum just trying to connect the dots. It's John Cusack, so of course, 40-yr old Lloyd Dobler is continually doing things that make 90% of women swoon and 90% of men hate themselves (or at least hate that they can't do anything that makes women swoon), but sister Joan makes up for it, by playing his hilarious... sister. John and Amanda Peet have absolutely no chemistry together, though, and their scenes are so cringe-worthy that not even a boom-box-over-the-head-in-the-driveway can help them. That being said, the good outweighs the bad for the most part. Conclusion: rent it.
Bradley W

December 2, 2011
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

September 27, 2008
[font=Century Gothic]"Martian Child" is a troubling and sentimental movie about David Gordon(John Cusack), a science fiction writer with writer's block. Four years after the death of his wife, he decides to adopt a child.(They had long talked about doing this together.) After being introduced to Dennis(Bobby Coleman), a seven-year old who spends most of his time in a box because he is afraid of the sun, he has second thoughts. But then since he remembers he was once a strange kid himself, David decides to try and connect with him. In time, he learns that Dennis thinks he is really from Mars...[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"Martian Child" sugarcoats the darker side of the story. For example, it is briefly mentioned that Dennis was emotionally abused but this is never brought up again. And no matter how much David may think so, there are significant differences between the boy he was and the boy Dennis is. David was a dreamer which is okay but Dennis suffers from delusions(although since this is a movie, you never know...), making him somebody who needs a lot more help than David can provide who at his best would probably not make a great father. And I want to point out that I am not attacking single parenthood in general, just this one.[/font]
PantaOz
PantaOz

October 11, 2009
Interesting story which starts slow... boring even... but developes to an oustanding ending. I like the perfect casting choice.
Fascade F

December 16, 2008
Weird, funny, and at times unforgettable performances about the bonds of the not so typical American family...see this..it's incredible.
SC007
SC007

November 15, 2008
Cute film. It reminded me of K-Pax with Jeff Bridges and Kevin Spacey. The on screen chemistry between Cusack and the boy makes the movie worth seeing. The only downer is the pacing of the film, which feels slow, especially in the beginning.
Dannielle A

October 6, 2008
The movie never answered the question if he was really from Mars or not and I like that it is left up to the viewer. I was convinced he was really from Mars the whole movie. Perhaps he lived on Mars when it was liveable but then as he traveled through space at the speed of light to reach earth... time went by and Mars became uninhabited.

This movie was a very tender and heart-warming story about the love within families and reaching out to others. I hope to adopt someday myself.

I've got to read the "true story" from which this movie was created from.