Critic Review - Boxoffice Magazine

Apparently, bootleg copies of Transformers 3 made it to Asgard.

April 20, 2012 Full Review Source: Boxoffice Magazine | Comments (382)
Boxoffice Magazine

Comments

Dexter R.

Dexter Rose

"The Avengers almost works. It's funny and it's physical, but even at two and a half hours, it plays like it's on fast-forward. Forget character development?there's not even character explanation. The lesser Avengers are most slighted."

Agreed

Apr 20 - 10:45 AM

Nelson Verdejo

Nelson Verdejo

that's because each of these characters had their own movie for character development and explanation you fool ... why do they need it again here?? this movie is meant to be a mash up ... to bring on the action and thrills since we already received origin stories in their own individual movies.

Apr 20 - 12:57 PM

Dexter R.

Dexter Rose

That's the worst excuse I've heard for this movie. Of course there needs to be development. The solo movies did not fully develop any of them.

Apr 20 - 02:19 PM

Scott Cochrane

Scott Cochrane

Its not a bad excuse you nimrod.

we've had a movie for every character explaining their origins and their personalities, we don't have time to have a deep character development movie with 5 all new characters it would SUCK.

Apr 20 - 05:57 PM

Spencer S.

Spencer Saunders

Are you fucking kidding me? They made at least 1 individual movie for each character? They've gotten "deep" enough in the character development to put them all together.

Apr 23 - 07:29 PM

Justin Jaeger

Justin Jaeger

So this movie is exempt from having to fully develop a story? I have not seen it, but I don't agree with what you're arguing. Characters need to matter. I actually had this problem with The Raid.

Apr 21 - 09:27 PM

C.J. Lightbourn

C.J. Lightbourn

It's not that it doesn't have to have a story. Rather it needs to treat the group as a character and examine it's different aspects. We're not looking for tons of personal growth of each character. We're looking for just enough growth from everyone for the team itself to work. The Avengers is not meant to be a deeply insightful character study on these heroes.

Apr 23 - 07:20 AM

Justin Jaeger

Justin Jaeger

Apr 21 - 09:27 PM

Justin Jaeger

Justin Jaeger

Apr 21 - 09:27 PM

Bruce McLoogie

Bruce McLoogie

Excellent use of the word... FOOL......LOL

Apr 24 - 06:32 PM

Steven Nguyen

Dude, it's obvious you're a Batman fanboy, take a look at your profile page. I know you're butt-hurt because Marvel is getting good press, but come on, both movies are great in their own way.

Apr 20 - 02:34 PM

Steven Nguyen

Dude, it's obvious you're a Batman fanboy/Marvel troll, take a look at your profile page. I know you're butt-hurt because Marvel is getting good press, but come on, both movies are great in their own way.

Apr 20 - 02:36 PM

Steven Nguyen

Dexter, it's obvious you're a Batman fanboy/Marvel troll, take a look at your profile page. I know you're butt-hurt because Marvel is getting good press, but come on, both movies are great in their own way.

Apr 20 - 02:37 PM

Steven Nguyen

Dexter, it's obvious you're a Batman fanboy and a troll, take a look at your profile page. I know you're butt-hurt because Marvel is getting good press, but come on, both movies are great in their own way.

Apr 20 - 02:38 PM

Dexter R.

Dexter Rose

Right, that must be why I'm looking forward to TASM. What a tool... lol.

Apr 20 - 04:11 PM

Great job adding TASM on your page after I posted, :D

Apr 20 - 04:20 PM

Anthony Melo

Anthony Melo

Thats why they had their own movies you dip shit.

Apr 20 - 10:05 PM

Dexter R.

Dexter Rose

I mean, you want to talk about "butt-hurt," look in the mirror. You kiddies start bleeding out of your collective vag immediately when someone has a different opinion from you.

Apr 20 - 04:14 PM

U mad?

Apr 20 - 04:18 PM

Dexter R.

Dexter Rose

Again I ask... problem?

Apr 20 - 05:41 PM

Dexter R.

Dexter Rose

Oh yeah, "I'm mad." Real clever there.

Apr 20 - 05:42 PM

Jason Jacoby

Jason Jacoby

LOL U MAD

Apr 22 - 01:52 PM

Marc Hanz

Marc Hanz

that douche gabe The Avengers 10%... case closed. he's an idiot. Who cares about his opinion.

Apr 21 - 06:52 AM

Taylor Burford

Taylor Burford

Such arrogance only makes you look like even more of an idiot.

Apr 20 - 03:33 PM

Roxanne Smith

Roxanne Smith

Have you even seen The Avengers? Somehow, I doubt it.

Apr 21 - 08:39 PM

Kenneth Lehmann Jørgensen

Kenneth Lehmann Jørgensen

To be fair, she gave one of the The Twillight saga: Eclipse a frssh review, which clearly proves her poor taste in movies!!

Or rather, she holds a oppinion that's so far from significant i my world, that i don't care about it.

Apr 20 - 10:45 AM

Johnny Organize

Johnny Organize

Dear Amy,

It's Nick Fury... not Nick Frost.

Apr 20 - 10:46 AM

Oscar Peña

Oscar Peña

Completely biased

Apr 20 - 10:51 AM

Adam C.

Adam Cichoski

I think you're right. Everytime there's huge hype there's someone who hates it. She's probably never been a Marvel fan and so is walking into this movie expecting it to be all hype and that's all she sees. If she walked in as a Marvel fan, or even as a netrual party, she probably would have enojoyed the film more. That's my guess, I cant speak for her.

Apr 21 - 12:56 AM

Josh Rosenfield

Josh Rosenfield

"Biased"? It's a REVIEW. Of COURSE it has bias. That's the point of a review!

Apr 21 - 03:19 PM

Justin Jaeger

Justin Jaeger

exactly. critics need to speak for everyone. not every critic can be a Marvel fan, because then they're only advising Marvel fans to see it and ignoring everyone else.

Apr 21 - 09:31 PM

Justin Jaeger

Justin Jaeger

Apr 21 - 09:31 PM

Kenneth Lehmann Jørgensen

Kenneth Lehmann Jørgensen

How can anyone take her review seriously when you look at those piss poor movies that she gave a fresh review in the past?

For example The Twillight saga: Eclipse!!

Personally her taste in movies is so far from my own oppinion, that i don't count it as significant at all.

I don't respect her intelligence and therefore i can't respect her oppinion.

With that said, i'm sure there will be more rotten reviews, from more intelligent critics at some point. But so far, i haven't seen one.

Apr 20 - 10:51 AM

Oscar Peña

Oscar Peña

So true

Apr 20 - 10:59 AM

Nelson Verdejo

Nelson Verdejo

i fully agree because in the end, it all comes down to the fact that every1 is entitled to their own opinion, whether or not their opinion is an outlier to that of the majority .... but when it comes down to a person saying that The Avengers is trash and Batman is not good, but hailing twilight and drive angry as great films, that just shows that her intelligence is completely lacking because if you think twilight is a great film with all the wooden acting, cheesy dialogue and scenes, crappy sappy vampire/human love story ... then your head really cant be screwed on straight because that really isnt good cinema .. it really isn't.. its bad filmmaking and storytelling ... yes, avengers is a geek and comic book fanboys wet dream, but seening early reviews shows that it is done well, it is near classic, with a great blend of action, humor, drama, and thrills, and that it reaches out to its core audience and then some, because it also reaches out to audiences who are not familiar with the source material. they know how to take a superhero comic book and turn it into a good film because even though comic books are just comic books, they do have compelling stories within them about their individual characters, whereas there is nothing remotely interesting about twilight .. if anything, twilight is an insult to good storytelling because it is just offensive to take a great concept like a vampire story which has blood sucked its way through the ages with many different ways of telling the story, and then completely gayify it by turning it into a human/vampire romance where the vampires are so emotional, glow in the sunlight, are not frightening, and just complete and utter soap opera mess.

Apr 22 - 02:22 AM

Dan Benge

Dan Benge

LOL. "Shes entitled to her opinion as long as it reflects my tastes."

Classic.

Seriously, a film getting a 100% is as likely as someone winning the lottery.

You think one or two bad reviews is going to keep people from seeing The Avengers?

Hey people, the world does NOT revolve around your opinion...just like it doesnt revolve around the opinion of this critic.

Apr 25 - 06:58 AM

scifimark

scifi mark

actually you would have better chances winning the lottery as im convinced NO mainstream movie would get a 100 rating because you will always have at least a handful that want site hits

Apr 25 - 11:08 AM

Oscar Peña

Oscar Peña

She clearly doesn't know a thing about movies

Apr 20 - 10:52 AM

Imthiaz Muhassin

Imthiaz Muhassin

3/5 a "rotten"?WTF!!!

Apr 20 - 10:52 AM

Alex Gonzalez

Alex Gonzalez

"there's not even character explanation"
I think they took care of that with the 5 prequels

Apr 20 - 10:52 AM

Curtis Bray

Curtis Bray

can someone explain to me how a 60% is rotten ?

Apr 20 - 10:54 AM

Cole Jaeger

Cole Jaeger

The reviewer said it was. Did this review offend you or something? Why do you feel offended by it?

Aug 31 - 07:42 AM

Erik Van Sant

Erik Van Sant

Oh, Amy. I get it. Transformers 3 makes it to Asgard. Brilliant. I was unaware Nick Frost was in this (SPOILER ALERT, AMY!). While I won't slight you for your "entertaining" assessment of Avengers, I will take aim at your complete and utter lack of checking your facts before scribbling for the masses. Nice hat.

Apr 20 - 10:56 AM

Allen H.

Allen Helbig

WELL SAID!

Apr 23 - 04:11 PM

Shannon Potratz

Shannon Potratz

Looks like Armond White has a new moniker. :)

Apr 20 - 11:01 AM

Bernardo Leyte Cortés

Bernardo Leyte Cortés

clearly! Fuck armond white and his puppet

Apr 25 - 03:28 AM

Thaddeus Venture

Thaddeus Venture

She can be the robin to his batman.

Apr 25 - 04:28 PM

Favour S.

Favour Sawyerr

Nick Frost?

Apr 20 - 11:01 AM

Shannon Potratz

Shannon Potratz

Yeah, wasn't he in Shaun of the Dead? ;)

Apr 27 - 02:20 PM

Gustavo

Gustavo Filgueiras

Anyone who has read the review knows she does not even know the names of the characters.

Apr 20 - 11:02 AM

Shaman

The Shaman

And they say "fanboys" should get laid.

Apr 20 - 11:04 AM

Taylor Burford

Taylor Burford

Sorry DC fan, no Justice League movie for you

Apr 20 - 03:34 PM

Shaman

The Shaman

@Taylor B- Of course i was using blatant sarcasm that you completely missed. Nowhere do i ever mention being a DC fan and or hating on the Avengers. I do believe i even stated on my profile that i wanted to see this film before dying. I wouldn't say the same about TDKR.

Apr 23 - 06:34 AM

Maria Gendelman

Maria Gendelman

the reason some 3 stars are fresh and some rotten depends on which side of that spectrum the review swings to. If it's 3 but more positive it will be fresh, if the other way around the rotten

Apr 20 - 11:10 AM

Aaron Walker

Aaron Walker

It's cool, who the hell reads Boxoffice Magazine anyway? What a hack.

Apr 20 - 11:21 AM

Stephen Tunnell

Stephen Tunnell

"...and finally they fight alongside each other... the audience bursts into applause..."

And while the audience was enjoying the movie, this joke reviewer was clearly full of rage at how everyone was having a good time, and was determined to write the only negative review. That'll show them!

Apr 20 - 11:21 AM

Bob F.

Bob Franca

I stopped reading the review when I realized she doesn't know when to use 'then' vs. 'than'.

Apr 20 - 11:22 AM

Aaron Walker

Aaron Walker

Oh my god, you gave Hatchet 2 4/5??? You need to resign right now. Hahaha. You suck!

Apr 20 - 11:23 AM