Critic Review - New York Post

'The Avengers" is neither overwhelming nor underwhelming. What it expertly is, is whelming.

April 27, 2012 Full Review Source: New York Post | Comments (58)
New York Post
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

Karl Koveal

Karl Koveal

Wait, I thought you could only be whelmed in Europe...

Apr 27 - 04:59 AM

Alex Walker

Alex Walker

10 Things I Hate About You reference, as soon as I saw this quote, I figured someone had to do it. 90s teen flicks salute you.

Apr 27 - 03:42 PM

Carson Smith

Carson Smith

Hey watches Young Justice obviously.

Apr 27 - 08:04 PM

Cameron Ebersold

Cameron Ebersold

Which is incredibly ironic considering this is Avengers

Apr 27 - 08:18 PM

Alex Walker

Alex Walker

Nope, in this case the reference is definitely 10 Things I Hate About You. Young Justice's take is different.

Apr 27 - 09:42 PM

Karl Koveal

Karl Koveal

I'm a HUGE Young Justice fan, but you're right. This is a 10 Things reference.

May 1 - 04:50 PM

IrreducibleKoan

Sean Pak

Still holding on at 8.1! (I don't care about the tomatometer, the average rating is more important to me, and I hope it stays above 8.)

As for the blurb, you were just waiting for the opportunity to use that joke, weren't you Kyle?

Apr 27 - 05:01 AM

James S.

James Sig

I assure you it will drop below 8.

Apr 27 - 08:38 AM

IrreducibleKoan

Sean Pak

May 6 - 02:53 AM

Cole Jaeger

Cole Jaeger

But 8.1 isn't that good for a movie with a 96

Apr 28 - 10:15 AM

Loki

Loki LASTNAME

Not really... The general rule is -1 to 1.5 pts off the average from the equivalent percent times 10. Anything between 1.5 and 2 is iffy, and if it's more than 2 you know the movie is actually a lot worse than you'd think. The reason for this is that reviews of 2.5/5 and 3/5, or similar point values, are counted as just as positive as 5/5 scores. Even great movies hardly ever obtain anything close to 5/5 from all the critics since everyone has a different opinion about what kinds of movies deserve perfect scores. Just look at The Godfather and Jaws for examples. You need to adjust how much this sort of thing affects a score based upon the % that is given. Movies in the 80s can drop more than 2 points quite often because of this effect, and same with movies I'm the 70s, but as you approach 60 they tend to level off and start to go the other way as you go down. I'm sure I could tell you some kind of function it would look like if you graphed it if I were to think about it, but for now I'll just guess something like x^-1 as a template for you to wrap your head around if this makes any sense to you. In any case, 8.1 is a fairly normal score for a 96% movie to have. I'd say it's about 1 standard deviation from the mean ;)

Apr 29 - 02:17 AM

Loki

Loki LASTNAME

1 to 1.5 for movies in the 90%s I meant

Apr 29 - 02:18 AM

IrreducibleKoan

Sean Pak

I don't really understand what you just wrote, Loki (I'll need to read it a few times I guess), but anyway you're right, 8.1 isn't ever low. Lots of 90+% films are in the 7s. How To Train Your Dragon at 98% is 7.9. If you go purely by tomatometer you'd think Toy Story 3 and HTTYD were about as great as each other. At that point, the average rating tells the real story. Only one percentage point difference between the two, but a whopping 0.9 rating difference. Also see: Iron Man vs. TDK. Averaging a 4/5 or more is VERY impressive.

Apr 29 - 07:05 PM

Foo Rong Xin

Foo Rong Xin

Do I sense a Young Justice reference here?

Apr 27 - 05:02 AM

Louis Bonaviso

Louis Bonaviso

Yeah, sounds like Young Justice to me.

Apr 27 - 05:08 AM

Daniel Brooks

Daniel Brooks

Someone's a Robin fanboy...

Apr 27 - 05:34 AM

Chris Gronlie

Chris Gronlie

haha yeah I was just going to mention that.

Apr 27 - 06:21 AM

Daniel Gray

Daniel Gray

What does that even MEAN?

Apr 27 - 08:19 AM

Jack Zigler

Jack Zigler

Probably?
If it were "overwhelming", it'd be Transformers-style painfully loud nonsense action, and if it were "underwhelming", it'd be dull and pedestrian. But if it's exceptionally whelming, that means you always get it and understand it, but you're still having a lot of fun.

Apr 27 - 10:54 AM

Lee Brandt

Lee Brandt

I think what he actually means is that overwhelming would be absolutely fantastic. Underwhelming would be sub-par. So Whelming means good, not great and not bad.

Apr 27 - 07:36 PM

Steven S.

Steven Smith

I don't think so...as the comment is: "What it expertly is, is whelming." So, I'm guessing the meaning is more towards what Jack Z said.

Apr 27 - 08:51 PM

Parker Aultman

Parker Aultman

He gave the film a three out of four stars which means he thought it was decent but not great. He definitely means what Lee B said.

Apr 27 - 10:22 PM

Doug a.

Doug a

100% incorrect. The previous poster who compared "overwhelming to Transformers is right on point. The review author would not have included the modifier "expertly" if he'd meant something else.

Apr 28 - 12:34 PM

Zane B

Chum Chum

^^^^^ ALL OF YOU ARE WRONG

Apr 28 - 09:39 PM

Sean Aminali

Sean Aminali

Got to see this movie at an advance screening. Easily one of the greatest comic-book films of all time, alongside "Spider-Man 2", "Iron Man", and "The Dark Knight".

Apr 27 - 11:48 AM

whyookeno

wyatt s

Spider-Man 2? C'monnnnn. Terrible franchise. Sure, it was fun to see Spidey in action, but the entire franchise was a farce - it did not stay true to the comic in the worst ways possible. Oh no, Peter! Mary-Jane is in trouble...again! Unbreakable, Kick-Ass, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, the true epics of superhero films.

Apr 27 - 12:10 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

Thor and Cpt. SAM were average at best.

Apr 27 - 12:33 PM

David Rhugnanan

David Rhugnanan

Agreed. I only left Iron Man, and the incredible Hulk happy. Iron Man 2 was muddy and horrible.. hated the new Rhodey, Thor was nothing to make me buy a second ticket to see, neither Captain America.. Average at best

Apr 27 - 02:41 PM

Doug a.

Doug a

Thor was an effective "user-friendly" way to introduce the masses to the character. IMO, characters like Thor (and on the DC side, Green Lantern) are among the hardest to bring to the screen, because they demand an explanation of a world other than our own--making them inherently harder to swallow. Branagh did an admirable job bringing us into that world, while keeping us grounded in familiarity. Not fantastic, but decent.

Captain America, on the other hand, was fantastic. While the final showdown with Red Skull felt a bit clunky, the overall package was one of the most loyal comic book adaptations ever made, and the cast was on point. Johnston was an inspired choice to direct.

Apr 28 - 12:47 PM

Liam H.

Liam Ho

Thor and Captain America had some pretty great elements but they also had their flaws which makes them fine to good at best.

Apr 27 - 02:05 PM

Daniel Brooks

Daniel Brooks

Unbreakable??? The movie was OK, but the surprise ending was plain stupid.

Apr 27 - 03:18 PM

Dabid Contreras

Dabid Contreras

YES! Spiderman 2, actually after the dark knight spiderman 2 is the best superhero movie of movie history! just cause it wasn't accurate and cause you love andrew garfield doesn't mean it was a bad movie. Spiderman 2 is great!

Apr 27 - 05:34 PM

Mr. Dufresne

Chip McNair

C'mon man, Spider-Man 2 is great! Sure, it has it's cheesy moments, but I think it's a great movie. In fact, I'd only say that Batman Begins and The Dark Knight (out of the superhero films you listed) might be better than Spider-Man 2. I loved Cap but it was more flawed, and I wasn't that big on Thor.

Apr 27 - 07:28 PM

Lee Brandt

Lee Brandt

Hmm, most people feel that Spiderman 2 is one of the very best. Check it's tatometer. I personally feel that Thor was one of the weakest ones.

Apr 27 - 07:38 PM

James

james cameron

I love Spiderman 2.

Apr 28 - 04:07 AM

Doug a.

Doug a

Spider-Man 2 is one of the best comic book films ever made: Loyal to the source material, engaging, well-acted and perfectly structured without going overboard. Along with X-2 and the original Superman, it stands as a benchmark for the genre. I don't put Dark Knight in that same category, because I think it transcends comic book fare into being a legitimate crime drama a la "The Departed."

Apr 28 - 12:37 PM

Arthur Landon

Arthur Landon

HOW CAN YOU PUT CAPT. AMERICAN IN THE SAME CATEGORY AS DARKNIGHT?!!! and Thor for that matter?!

Apr 30 - 09:45 AM

Cody Postle

Cody Postle

Finally, someone besides be recognizes how great Spiderman 2 was.

Apr 29 - 03:11 PM

Mela Minx

Mela Minx

Anyone who thinks Iron Man 2 was bad must be drunk. Here is the order of perfect Marvel superhero masterpiece (as it pertains to The Avengers)
1. Iron Man 2 / Iron Man 1
2. The Incredible Hulk
3. Thor
4. Captain America
and AntMan will be somewhere in the mix!

Apr 27 - 04:28 PM

Jack Zigler

Jack Zigler

Then I must be totally wasted. Okay, it wasn't bad, per se, but there was loads of wasted potential; it takes really long for anything to happen, and when it does, it's resolved very quickly. Like the whole "poisoning" thing - he never actually gets less healthy. He moves and acts just as he always does, he just has a grody chest. Then Nick Fury gives him the treatment, then he skips middle school chemistry and cures it, and it's out of the movie.
And Hulk is the only one I've never bothered to watch a second time.

Apr 27 - 06:34 PM

Mr. Dufresne

Chip McNair

Iron Man 2 was good fun, but nothing great. I wouldn't say it was bad at all, but it wasn't the greatest film.

Apr 27 - 07:29 PM

Doug a.

Doug a

Iron Man 2 is been the most forgettable Marvel-based film since Blade 3 or Daredevil. It's entertaining while you watch it, but it more or less just "goes through the motions." It doesn't even belong in the discussion with some of the films you've mentioned, including the original Iron man.

Apr 28 - 12:40 PM

Nikita Matsevych

Nikita Matsevych

You're right. I forgot that there was a Blade 3. And i've watched it.

Apr 29 - 03:04 AM

Cole Halley

Cole Halley

I'm officially whelmed.

Apr 27 - 04:40 PM

Yuvraj Chopra

Yuvraj Chopra

You are neither a bad critic
Nor a good critic
You are just a critic

Apr 28 - 06:31 AM

Ese  .

Ese Wei

HULK

IRON MAN

THOR

CAPTAIN AMERICA

BLACK WIDOW

HAWKEYE

VS

LOKI

F-ck Whelming! Who is that? A tennis player?!

THE AVENGERS IS THE GREATEST FILM OF YOUR PATHETIC MIDGARDIAN LIVES.

Apr 28 - 09:49 AM

Ben Barnard

Ben Barnard

Really? It's a positive review you fail-troll. Learn some grammar and some internet etiquette (ie: not typing in all caps).

Apr 28 - 01:28 PM

George Martin

George Martin

if kyle likes it, its time to get worried

Apr 28 - 11:01 AM

rockwhite666

David Voss

Maybe he was just tired of constantly getting flamed so he decided to appreciate a good movie for once.

Apr 28 - 02:04 PM

LeoLover

steve bailey

Yes, that negates the fact that 60 out of 62 other critics who've reviewed it also liked it...

Apr 29 - 10:20 PM

the.palmetto

Eric Palmer

Tangents people...let's not detract from how undeniably god-awful Mr. Smith is at writing reviews. His range of vocubulary is surprisingly underwhelming...

Apr 28 - 05:01 PM

Julia Dzagoeva

Julia Dzagoeva

Wierd. I heard this quote in Eberts review of XMen first class

Apr 28 - 08:40 PM

Collin Thomas

Collin Thomas

Man you are a douchebag. You can whelm my nuts.

Apr 28 - 08:47 PM

Zane B

Chum Chum

what are you, a homosexual?

Apr 28 - 09:40 PM

Colter Herreid

Colter Herreid

Thank you robin.

Apr 29 - 05:59 PM

Arun Olickal

Arun Olickal

Great movie.

Apr 30 - 03:02 AM

tyler g.

tyler gunderson

Most of you people in this comment section are incredibly stupid. Something being overwhelming is bad.

Being overwhelmed with emotion means you're screaming or breaking down crying. A movie overwhelming your senses is what fucking Transformers does because it's big, loud, colorful and stupid and it makes you want wake up from the bad dream of paying 10 bucks to see it.

Being underwhelmed means you're disappointed. He's saying, quite simply, that the movie is exciting and well written at the same time.

May 1 - 06:30 PM

Keaton Wanninger

Keaton Wanninger

Kyle Smith, I still hate you and you are one of the worst critics in the business. BUT atleast you got this one right!

May 3 - 08:51 AM