Critic Review - Washington Post

The performances are so well-pitched in The Avengers, meshing with such vividness and ease, that it's tempting to overpraise the good but not great movie that surrounds them.

Washington Post
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

Drew Maroe

Drew Maroe

While I agree that the performances from the cast were so well-pitched as to "shield" us from the movies flaws, I would still, easily consider this movie to be far beyond the adjective of "good". With or without the recognition of the flaw, this movie was incredible.

May 4 - 12:37 AM

Trent D.

Trent D.

couldn't agree more!

May 31 - 12:25 PM

scifimark

scifi mark

I think this is a pretty fair assesment of the movie

May 4 - 09:02 AM

Ian Larsen

Ian Larsen

Overall a solid review, but I disagree with the slightly negative spin here.
On the minor qualm about the "fractious subplot" between Hawkeye and Black Widow: Not everything needs to be fully explained and put to light, especially considering there are probably going to be two more of these movies (and perhaps spin-offs for one or both of these characters?). This is classic comic writing here, really. You don't just bring all of the plot-lines to a neat end by the close of the film (comic), you also plant seeds and continue to, sometimes inchingly, develop other ones that take much longer to pay off, and have a different kind of satisfaction to them when they do. Besides that, it creates depth of realism in the world of the movie. Not knowing EVERYTHING makes it more believable, as it reflects real life and shows that this universe is more vast than what we can view in one sitting.
Regarding the film not breaking ground: Hitting all the right notes IS the quality of a great movie. When did doing everything right become too little? You also seem to want to disassociate the role of the actors' performances from the rest of the film. However, just as you note the quality of the interplay between the stars, there is a similar relationship between the performances and the plot. Every wonderful showcase of chemistry is also quietly moving the story along and continuing to inform the environment, especially considering the ever-present shroud of the god of mischief, so that after a hearty laugh and a big grin you realize it all meant something. Lastly, take care not to be so blinded by the fantastic nature of the film that you forget the initial premise has never been done before. Eight leads? (including the absolutely spectacularly played Loki) Yes, we've had great ensemble casts, but never where every one was a super hero and almost all had a film already unto themselves. It seems obvious, especially because we've been expecting its arrival for years, but it's no less groundbreaking.

May 4 - 04:42 PM

w@velength

In Your Dreams

nah it was just alright

May 4 - 05:13 PM

Scott Feuless

Scott Feuless

Very, very well said sir.

May 5 - 06:46 PM

Luvagoo

Tallulah Robinson

"Fractious subplot"? Is that what she said? Gosh, I loved the ambiguity and mystery surrounding those two. Classic Whedon - and comics! I left wanting more of them, I think it was those two that stayed in my mind the most, which, as you all know, is helluva saying something.

May 7 - 04:52 PM

Cody Voight

Cody Voight

This was better than good, you were probably just watching it to find flaws. They did an awesome job and put a ton of work into it. Respect them and the movie, and forget about the "flaws" and just simply watch it and then you'll see how awesome it really was

May 5 - 08:12 PM

Chad Ammidown

Chad Ammidown

If the person sees it as a flaw enough to comment then they must not think it was awesome. I personally think it is flawed. To be invested in it I needed to know more about Loki and what exactly he is capable of. Other than threats. I need to understand how powerful the aliens are. i mean when they came it wasn't like they beat down the Avengers and they all had to regroup. They showed up and were done in the same afternoon.

May 9 - 10:18 AM

Matt Witzel

Matt Witzel

Watching "Thor" would tell you all you needed to know about Loki for this movie. And don't tell me that's unreasonable; this was a movie about a team of superheroes and almost every one of them had their own installment leading up this. I would consider them prerequisites for this movie, at least if you plan on complaining about not knowing enough about the characters. You wouldn't jump into Harry Potter 5 and object to not understanding what's going on.

May 12 - 10:51 AM

Nicole Bosley

Nicole Bosley

PERFECTLY SAID.

May 16 - 03:11 PM

IrreducibleKoan

Sean Pak

I'm in the middle of Hornaday's opinion and some of the comments here. It was "very good" for me, but far from perfect, and therefore could not be great. I thought it was nearly great from the beginning up to New York. But the final battle is when things fell apart. Like Hornaday said, in the last 20 minutes it was literally the character interactions that carried things. However in the first two hours, I thought the movie surrounding the characters was pretty well-crafted.

May 6 - 02:11 AM

Howard Bonds

Howard Bonds

Ann,

I am unsure that you understand the concept of great. Your statement is mean spirited and derogatory.

May 7 - 05:07 AM

hbarca

Enda Elduff

I think it's almost an autonomic response that critics need to give this film only tacit approval . They feel that if they bestow a glowing recommendation on it then this will detract from their beret wearing indie cinema credentials with all of their pseudo intellectual compatriots guffawing all the while secretly pleasuring themselves over Scarlet H/Chris H.
This was a superb film and it deserves it's phenomenal box office and praise, hold steadfast to the courage of your convictions and give no thought to what your fraternity may think. Tis why I like Peter Travers so much.

May 7 - 07:54 AM

Pete Arlington

Pete Arlington

It is clearly a conspiracy! It was not even a month before this film was released when all those pseudo-intellectual critics also dared give 'Marley (2012)' more glowing commendations as well. Coincidence? I don' think so! Clearly, there is only one explanation, and that is CONSPIRACY: they conspired to support Magnolia Pictures because it concentrates on foreign and indie films!

May 11 - 01:59 AM

Dean Hamlin

Dean Hamlin

Remember everyone: No one in their right mind could possibly think that The Avengers is "only" a good movie.

Oct 1 - 08:20 PM

Pete Arlington

Pete Arlington

Thank you, I do appreciate your review; I always find them useful and I certainly do not believe it is chance that your reviews agree with the tomatometer 4 times out of 5.

May 11 - 01:21 AM

Nicole Bosley

Nicole Bosley

I have NEVER before in my life had a favorite movie, but I do now. I saw it twice in the first weekend!

May 16 - 03:14 PM

Amanda Andrews

Amanda Andrews

North Carolina

Jun 26 - 02:09 AM

Carl Peterson

Carl Peterson

I think it was a great movie. I did not want Wheedon to try and put his spin on the marvel characters. I wanted him to be true to the characters. I think it can be harder to stay true to source material than putting your spin on the characters. At least sometimes. It is not a perfect movie but it is hard to think of a better superhero movie and a better movie this year. The movie is not trying to be Casablanca. It is trying to be what it is. A great movie about one of the greatest (if not the greatest) super hero teams in comic lore.

Jul 14 - 10:08 PM