Critic Review - Film.com

A spectacle in the grandest sense of the word ...

Film.com
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

Eugene Camilleri

Eugene Camilleri

best review on the page.

May 5 - 03:00 AM

Facebook User

Facebook User

@Eugene Agreed!

May 5 - 04:08 PM

Drew Maroe

Drew Maroe

And that's why you're a top critic! I honestly would have NO issue whatsoever with someone rating this movie a rotten tomato... if they actually had valid reasons for their decision! I have yet to see a quality rotten review. I always welcome them, so long as they're backed up.

May 6 - 03:26 AM

Cole Jaeger

Cole Jaeger

It's really not that great. Just a bunch of mindless explosions and action. It's still pretty good, but not the greatest thing ever.

May 7 - 10:11 AM

Drew Maroe

Drew Maroe

I'm just not gathering where people come up with "mindless" as an adjective to describe the experience... The brilliance behind bring Bruce Banner in to be utilized as a scientist and NOT The Hulk was fantastic. It added depth to the meaning within the movie and felt more relevant. There are countless other instances where I felt the dialogue was SUPERB, and not "mindless". Cole, you're obviously a skeptic of many things; going into a movie with nothing but skepticism and criticism in mind will always put a damper on your bias opinions. Just an fyi. People like you are so painfully obvious to spot, sadly, the rotten tomatoes for The Avengers can all be attributed to your point of view. Not one of those rotten reviews was validated by the points raised in them, if you want to even consider them "points".

May 8 - 06:00 AM

Cole Jaeger

Cole Jaeger

PLEASE explain to me where the depth and meaning is in this movie? There is absolutely none.

May 30 - 01:51 PM

Cole Jaeger

Cole Jaeger

I went in the movie expecting exactly what I got, which was the problem. There was nothing great about it. There were many goods, but not many greats. And yes, someone else did call this movie mindless. You are just some sort of fanboy. Just think about when you watch the movie. You just sit and stare at it. Nothing to think about. Mindless. That's how I felt when I watched the movie: like a dumb piece of shit. Although it's not that bad to have your mind numbed. It was still pretty good. Just not great.

May 30 - 01:56 PM

ray e.

ray ero

Yeah Bruce banner was handled very well and the movie had very good character interactions to me, it's not "Michael Bay trash". It's very possible Cole J is a Dark Knight fanboy calling us out for liking the marvel film, I understand his view that it isn't going to make you think for a week but who cares. I watch Fringe,Breaking bad and enough other tv shows that make you think to be able to immensely enjoy the avengers film also.

Jun 2 - 06:13 PM

Cole Jaeger

Cole Jaeger

I do like The Dark Knight better, but I wouldn't call it one of my absolute favorites. I wouldn't discourage this movie just because I like Dark Knight. I'm also not a fanboy. Again, I liked this movie too, but I think it's overhyped. I like to watch movies to make you think, and it seems that The Avengers does not only make you not think, but it encourages you to be a vegetable when you watch it. Not entirely a bad thing, but in order for it to be called great, it should have some substance.

Jun 21 - 07:48 AM

mtmercydave05

David Cornish

If you think action & adventure movies are just a bunch of mindless explosions and action, then that makes you not a fan of action & adventure movies. Meaning you're predetermined to be biased against The Avengers and probably shouldn't be reviewing it anyways Cole.

May 13 - 12:13 PM

Cole Jaeger

Cole Jaeger

Not action/adventure movies. This one is kind of. The screenplay is sometimes clever, but thats pretty much all of the smarts it has. No depth. At all. Pretty mindless, but still good.

May 30 - 01:53 PM

Dean Hamlin

Dean Hamlin

But mindless explosions and action ARE spectacle. Though I do agree that the movie isn't the greatest thing ever.

Oct 1 - 08:02 PM

Amanda Andrews

Amanda Andrews

North Carolina

Jun 26 - 02:09 AM

Connor Cross

Connor Cross

the avengers is a verry overated movie x-men is much better then the avengers

Jun 28 - 05:08 PM

Jessica McGuinness

Jessica McGuinness

Not if you actually followed the comic books. The X-Men movies destroyed the story lines and completely disrespected the characters. Awesome characters were underplayed or wiped out before they even got to speak. They are also throwing characters around in hopes that fans won't notice or just making their powers up.

Exmaples: Young Emma Frost was in X-Men Origins: Wolverine which took place in 1983, however an older Emma Frost appeared in X-Men: First Class which takes place in 1963. Wolverine was a father figure to Kitty Pryde, not Rogue. The greatest character that they destroyed is Deadpool, it was wrong on so many levels (I still liked Ryan Reynolds and I think the writing and directing is what failed the character, not Ryan). Don't even get me started on Prof X, Cyclops or the beloved "Dark Phoenix Saga".

I grew up an X-Men fan but I have to admit that The Avengers blew away anything that the X-Men have thrown on the screen. The Avengers relies heavily on the Ultimate Universe and has taken some liberties with the characters but not enough to disrespect them or their die hard fans. X-Men fails on all levels. If any Marvel franchise needs a reboot, it's The X-Men. Stick to the 90's cartoon, now that was cool.

Sep 9 - 07:31 PM

Jonathan Novitski

Jonathan Novitski

The last 15 minutes yes, the other 2 hours an 7 minutes of just watching 5 superheroes bitch at each other is not my idea of a "spectacle". But then again you may enjoy that kind of stuff.

Jul 6 - 08:03 PM

Grand M.

Grand Mesa

One person didn't agree with the critique that this film was mindless.
I say there is no story line but then the kids have no IQ and why would they need a story when there is fast editing and BANG BOOM.
Yeah, I'd call it mindless