Critic Review - Dial M For Movies

The overlong, stale experience barely raises a fast pulse, as the movie quickly stumbles into a standard film structure and doesn't even try to break free.

June 21, 2012 Full Review Source: Dial M For Movies | Comments (219)
Dial M For Movies

Comments

Rami Nawfal

Rami Nawfal

Horrible review, just horrible.

Jun 21 - 03:29 AM

Cole Jaeger

Cole Jaeger

It's not a horrible review just because they didn't like it.

Aug 22 - 08:52 PM

Cole Jaeger

Cole Jaeger

And considering you are the first to reply on multiple reviews it just shows you are obsessed with checking the rotten reviews so you can say they are poorly written

Aug 22 - 08:53 PM

Ungly Foursixfive

Ungly Foursixfive

I agree

Sep 11 - 05:06 PM

J. Bogard

J. Bogard

This movie is horrible and so is your comment. Seriously, this was the dullest movie I've seen in a long time. This critic was right.

Sep 12 - 09:27 PM

Jeremy F.

Jeremy Foster

I completely agree with you and this critic!Horrible,overrated,long,boring,irrelevant,and mediocre.The worst movie I've seen all year,and I saw The Master!

Oct 27 - 04:47 PM

Facebook User

Facebook User

Wow. You're both complete idiots.

Oct 28 - 10:23 AM

Niko Zguri

Niko Zguri

congrats! you're now the #1 stupid critic ever!

Nov 4 - 01:04 AM

Diego Tutweiller

The Artist Formerly Known as Tutweiller

He was right.

Sep 28 - 04:08 PM

Facebook User

Facebook User

No, he was wrong. And so are you.

Oct 28 - 10:24 AM

Niko Zguri

Niko Zguri

totally agree with you, buddy

Oct 9 - 11:08 AM

MegaMan Hikari

MegaMan Hikari

I like now every review for this move that liked it has 1 or 2 comments but the few that disliked it have hordes of nerd rushing in to attack.

Oct 27 - 10:49 PM

Facebook User

Facebook User

I fully agree, sir. This horrible review is degrading a phenomenal film. And all you idiots replying to Rami Nawfal and saying it's a "horrible movie" or the "worst movie of the year" should be sent to an asylum ASAP.

Oct 28 - 10:21 AM

Ryan Quinn

Ryan Quinn

I loled a little.

Jun 21 - 03:33 PM

Himanshu Pant

Himanshu Pant

Stop talking nonsense.
This movie is the BEST SUPERHERO MOVIE IN THE WORLD.

Jun 21 - 11:11 PM

Steve R.

Steve Rok

Not even close. Not in my top 20.

Jun 22 - 10:42 AM

Alex Donald

Alex Donald

Top 20? All right, why don't you thrill us all by posting your "Top 20" superhero movies. Also, I find it really ironic that a guy named Steve R. dislikes a movie where one of the main characters is named Steve R.

Jun 22 - 07:02 PM

Nelson Zhang

Nelson Zhang

Captain America dislikes his own movie?

Jun 22 - 10:00 PM

Peter Paleschic

Peter Paleschic

Originality? It's a movie adaption of a super hero comic aimed at it's fans. If they took up too much artistic license they would piss off their target audience. If your not a part of it's target audience, maybe you shouldn't try to criticize the movie on it's nonexistent flaws. If you want a movie adaption of a popular source material that strayed from the original format and story line, you should try "The Last Airbender" or "Dragonball Evolution". Oh that's right, THEY SUCKED!

Jun 26 - 02:50 AM

Steve R.

Steve Rok

I tried, but I'm just not too impressed with the new Marvel-on-Film Universe. Give me some real villains, and something other than a blue magic cube, and maybe I'll re-consider.

01 The Dark Knight
18 Iron Man 2
19 Batman Forever
20 Hulk

Jun 27 - 06:33 AM

Joshua Malone

Joshua Malone

Your top 20 has Spiderman 3 in it, your argument is invalid.

Jun 27 - 11:03 AM

Dac Broussard

Dac Broussard

The fact that you put the Green Lantern (Ryan Reynolds was a HORRIBLE choice for Hal Jordan) and Batman Forever on your top 20 shows you know absolutely NOTHING about comic book superheros and are therefor not qualified to make any kind of assessment on the movies.

Jun 27 - 11:28 AM

Alvin Lloyd Allipin

Ya know, Steve R. is nothing but a PURE TROLL. That's a fact. That's because he lost his credibility by putting some of the worst superhero films of all time.

X-Men 3: Last Stand - This X-Men film is a total joke. Brett Ratner ruined everything Bryan Singer worked so hard for (implying that the first two films are much better than this travesty. Professor X killed? Cyclops killed? The Phoenix character is ruined? The movie only exists in order to make a quick buck and nothing else. X-Men First Class tops this.

Green Lantern - Hey, this is also a joke. I agree that Ryan Reynolds is a horrible choice for Hal Jordan (he's better being DEADPOOL!). My brother watched this and he hated it. And he was a Green Lantern fan. The CGI is amazing yet the story is bland and horribly written. Never allow Martin Campbell to direct a superhero film. He's better on doing James Bond movies (including the epic Casino Royale).

Watchmen - This is a hit or miss because Zack Snyder did a heck of a job to make it closer to the graphic novel. But it received a mixed critical reception from fans of the graphic novel. But the biggest criticism came from none other than the original creator himself: ALAN MOORE. If I were for Snyder, he shouldn't direct Watchmen because film adaptations of Moore's works were from mediocre to bad. At least he is honest by saying that the film was made to make the people read the graphic novel more than watch his film.

Batman Forever - this is also a joke because of the Bat-Nipples nonsense. Joel Schumacer is a hack and it paved the way for the biggest insult: Batman and Robin. The only good thing about this film is Val Kilmer's Batman and the introduction of ROBIN. Christopher Nolan could've done a better job if he include ROBIN in his filmverse but he didn't. Because he hates... ROBIN.

Captain America - are talking about the 1990 film than the 'The First Avenger'? Sorry, you're a total moron. Matt Salinger did a good job as Cap but Chris Evans outclasses him (counting CATFA AND THE AVENGERS!). And don't get me on the stupid "Gee whiz, Mr. President!" crap. And it wasn't as colorful as the comics. Captain America: The First Avenger is the only Cap film that received critical acclaim from non-other than co-creator Joe Simon. The Red Skull in the 1990 film is a freakin' ITALIAN! The Red Skull in the 2011 film stayed true to his origins! The story is also good in terms of execution and it was well driven; it also stayed true to the comics. On the fight scenes, it captured the intensity and the spirit of the Kirby-Simon comics as opposed to the 1990 version which is a cheap joke. And the rest was history.

Hulk - Ang Lee's take on the Hulk was a total joke. The Hulk in this 2003 film is more cartoony and more lame compared to The Incredible Hulk (2008) and The Avengers (2012). Eric Bana was good but Edward Norton outclasses him yet the best actor who played Bruce Banner AND The Hulk is MARK RUFALLO!!! And he was in THE AVENGERS!!! His portrayal of Banner is totally SPOT ON! Why? Because that's how he was portrayed in the comic books. If you watch to movie carefully, you would see that he was nervous, trying to control himself from any intense emotion; he forces himself to stay calm, he's afraid to be emotional so he can avoid turning himself into the Hulk. I loved´╗┐ how Tony always tried to make Bruce feel comfortable with his surroundings and stood up for him. I loved that bond between Tony and Bruce. Also, the Hulks owns in this movie, not to mention that the Hulk's likeness was based on Rufallo's! Hulk is not simply "anger incarnate" rather, he is a reflection of Banner's emotional stability (or lack there of). When Rufallo's Banner said the "Here's my secret, Captain. I'm ALWAYS angry" line with a controlled manner, it gave me goosebumps. That's why he's a team player in the final battle, especially when the big guy grin when Captain America ordered him to 'smash.' And I love it. The Incredible Hulk and The Avengers are much better than this.

Jun 27 - 07:22 PM

Michael Souza

Michael Souza

this douche has the green lattern on his list!
He should be fired

Jul 23 - 03:04 AM

Cody H.

Cody Halpert

Not to mention Green Lantern, the epitome of shit superhero movies.

Sep 18 - 03:32 PM

Cody H.

Cody Halpert

Green Lantern? X3: The Last Stand? Batman Forever? What is wrong with you?!

Sep 18 - 03:35 PM

Fred Brooks

Fred Brooks

Haha dude must of been on one when he wrote this rediculous top 20 list, the fact this clown does'nt even have 'Avengers' in his top 20 kills all his credibility. "Green Lantern" at no.10, sounds like somebody ain't been in drug rehab long enough, haha.

Oct 1 - 02:01 AM

Jun 27 - 07:24 PM

Cole Jaeger

Cole Jaeger

You really waste a LOT of time on this website, don't you? Avengers fanboy

Aug 31 - 07:49 AM

Jun 27 - 07:25 PM

Steve R.

Steve Rok

I liked X3 alot. It was quick, and the characters were very clearly drawn. I read the Dark Phoenix Saga, and Jean Grey has a purely evil side. I thought X3 was very fun and visually exciting. Storm is my favorite character, and she had some great action in that one. I'm not a purist ... it's a movie, and I either like it or do not.

I really don't care whether or not your brother liked Green Lantern. Do you realize how silly your comment sounds ? It's my top 20. I thought Ryan Reynolds did a fantastic job, and the story had alot of heart, albeit a bit garbled. You say the story was bland and poorly written, but I could easily say the same thing about Thor, which I thought was the absolute pits.

I don't even like Batman Forever all that much. But it made my 20, barely. I like the characters alot, so that helped it a little.

I mean The First Avenger. Not the most exciting thing ever made, but a respectable offering. Had some cool moments, but some of the story elements were rather flat. I also strongly disliked how they revealed the end at the beginning.

Hulk was a wierd one, and I put it at 20. I hated The Incredible Hulk beyond belief. I equate its ending to The Avengers, which was an over-long city CGI battle that had me checking my watch 20 minutes before it ended. I almsot walked out of both of those, at least Hulk kept me in my seat.

If Marvel is brave, they will really challenge themselves in writing future installments, or they could just stick with their popcorn formula of 1-note baddies (Loki the Lackey) and blue magic cubes. While they are obviously winning in terms of the almight dollar, they won't be getting any more of mine.

Jun 28 - 08:32 AM

Shane Garis

Shane Garis

Wrong, Watchmen was a good movie, Snyder did one hell of a job with it. You are obviously biased when it comes to your taste in comic books films. The rest of the list is pretty accurate. The problem people had with Watchmen had more to do with having a brain and understanding depth.

Aug 20 - 06:28 PM

Cody H.

Cody Halpert

I think he was talking about the Chris Evans Captain America, dipshit.

Sep 18 - 03:37 PM

Alvin Lloyd Allipin

The Dark Knight - hey, I love TDK for what it was. But I pity you because you wanted to make this as a masterpiece but in reality, it wasn't. It's just the best Batman interpretation to date, but not the best superhero movie. Yes, Nolan put a more realistic take, but the Batman in his films is not the same Bats as in the comics. And it focuses more on The Joker and Harvey Dent than Batman. At least Batman Begins makes sense since the main focus is Bruce/Batman yet what he got is pretty weak character development. And what is that? Overcoming his fear of bats! Afraid of bats in the beginning, dressed up as one in the end. In fact, it was the same bland-ass Bruce Wayne/Batman who is an anti-social loner who only has Alfred to keep him company; a boring, angst filled, fearful, not too smart guy, who is always several steps behind his adversary. Not the same guy who is the world's greatest detective despite being a vigilante, the well trained smartest guy in the room, a master strategist, a man who beat the Justice League all by himself, a man who sees life as sacred and never kills criminals (watch Batman Begins and you'll find out that Ra's death is a huge contradiction), and the same man who raised several boys AND girls to become heroes like himself. THAT is Batman. Nolan's Batman never showed much of that. TDK is more like a glorified crime drama than a superhero film.

The Avengers is THE BEST CBM TO DATE. All of the fantastic elements of a comic book are already there. It also had a real villain in LOKI, whose schemes is more on subjugating the Earth for him to rule. The Tesseract is more like a plot device in this. Now it's time for you to re-consider, troll. :P

Jun 27 - 07:26 PM

Steve R.

Steve Rok

Come on guys, you can put whatever you want in your top 20. I didn't like The Avengers, so what ?? I don't even like all the movies in my top 20. I'm of the mind that not many great comic movies have been made. Yeah, I liked Green Lantern, it had a heart. It was far better than its reviews, whereas Thor was far worse than its reviews. I almost walked out of The Avengers, it was boring and over-bloated in my eyes ... big deal. Don't try to tell me my list is invalid. I wouldn't do that to you. I invested alot of time and money into the new Marvel movies ... in the end, I just don't think they are all thet good. My list is valid, because it is mine. Everyone has their own tastes. The Avengers was bubble gum to me, and I generally don't care for tha sort of thing.

Jun 28 - 08:17 AM

Steve R.

Steve Rok

Thanks for pitying me. I really needed some pity today ... jeez you people are awfully dramatic !!

Jun 28 - 08:35 AM

Steve R.

Steve Rok

And I love how so many of you all will pity someone, or call them a troll or a hater, just because they don't like your movie, yet so many of you take some definitive stance, saying something like "The Avergers is the best ever ... period !" It sounds so juvenile.

All I did was say I didn't like it, then someone asked for my top 20, and I posted it. I found Loki to be incredibly 1-dimensional, and he lost my interest quickly. After the first 45 minutes, I never cared about what happened in The Avengers. I forgot all about that movie the second I got out of my seat, and once The Dark Knight Rises drops, I'm sure I will scarcely dare remember that I ever saw The Avengers. In my mind, and the mind of many others, 2012 will undoubtedly be the year of The Bat, and The Dark Knight Rises will be the movie event of the summer. The fire will rise, and so shall I ...

Jun 28 - 10:53 AM

Alvin Lloyd Allipin

@Steve: Typical Nolanite TROLL. Just accept the fact that you have no respect for the genre.

If you try to watch all of Nolan's Bat films, then you'll find out what I'm talking about. Bruce is one dimensional and boring, the same can be said for Bats. Nolan removed everything that makes the comics interesting and gave us this humdrum paint by numbers movie, that was only elevated by Heath's performance.

You can say that TDKR will be the movie event of the summer, but it won't probably break most of The Avengers' box office records. C'mon, I'll watch TDKR but one thing is for sure: the dark and dreary world of Nolan's Batman films is drawing to a close, a bright, shining light is opened for everybody. In case you don't notice, the Marvel Cinematic Universe is expanding. That fire belongs to The Avengers. For someone who prefers a world which is dark and dreadful, a world void of hope, Nolan's Batman films were cool. But The Avengers has the opposite.

Jul 5 - 05:51 PM

Steve R.

Steve Rok

Hah, this is funny. I have no respect for the genre because I don't like The Avengers ... oh boy. I read comics, both Marvel and DC, and have paid to see at least 30 of these things in the theatre. Marvel's recent run has a couple of decent movies, but that's about it. I'm much more interested in seeing great solo films than some generic team-up story. The inspiration for the 2nd half of The Avengers was basically Space Invaders. I was hoping Nolan's Bat Flicks would pave the way for a higher level of writing and story-telling in these movies, but I'm just not seeing it. I see The Avengers as a step in the wrong direction, and hope DC doesn't follow in its footsteps with such golly gee whiz mediocrity.

Jul 9 - 11:52 AM

Alvin Lloyd Allipin

That's very laughable from a self-confessed Nolanite. Or maybe a fraud or worse. :P

The movie wasn't about the aliens, they were cannon fodder. It was about Loki and his mischief making being the catalyst that brings the Avengers together just like the first Avengers comic book. You read Marvel and DC comics but not actually familiar with aliens and
other cosmic characters from both companies. Have you heard a character named THANOS?

How can anyone who loves all things comic books hate on the Avengers, the purest comic book movie to date? That's pure hypocrisy if you ask me. The is the first time we seen an ensemble flick like this and Marvel is in the right direction: expanding its own cinematic universe. Batman is a comic book character, mind you. If you think that getting darker is a good way of high-level of writing and storytelling, then you're just trolling. Whedon's writing can be also a form of high-level storytelling but a lighter approach.

TROLL HARDER.

Jul 9 - 04:59 PM

Alvin Lloyd Allipin

Like I said, Marvel made a good direction than DC. Nolan is the producer of the said film while Zack Snyder is the director. Henry Cavill, the actor who will play Supes, states that his Superman is based from the New 52 version, which is none other than an angst-filled emo douche(which some fans call him "SuperANGSTMan"). A darker and grittier Superman is unacceptable unless 'high-level storytelling' would help. If Batman is all about angst, Superman is all about HOPE. Just hoping that they won't ruin the character. Marvel, on the other hand, never did that. Hoping that through Man of Steel, that would pave a way to make their own cinematic universe.

With The Avengers, the public has finally been brought into the light of what comic books truly bring to the table. And LIGHT will always conquer over darkness. No longer will the public have to suffer through a dark reflection of what a comic book movie should be. Marvel have opened the floodgates to infinite possibilities. Where TDK (and currently, TDKR) has trapped itself into a dark pseudo-realistic box, with no other places to go.

Jul 9 - 08:19 PM

kak10053

Kelsey Koester

Making a movie with a dark tone does not mean that it is on a "higher level of writing". Nolan takes Batman in a dark direction that separates itself from the cartoon and live action TV series which could be argued as a good or bad thing. Whedon is known for his humor in the darkest and lightest of situations. He took it in a direction that would appeal to the cartoon, comic and action movie fans, but also doesn't dumb down his characters and story.

Jul 9 - 08:41 PM

Fred Brooks

Fred Brooks

The high quality of writing was there for "The Avengers", you just did'nt see it 'Stevie Wonder'.

Oct 1 - 02:05 AM

Alvin Lloyd Allipin

@kak10053: Totally, I like his Nolan's Bat films but they were more of a darker approach not just the cartoon (Batman: TAS) and the 60s campy show (which led Bats to return to his "Dark Knight" roots) but also to the comics.

It's just Nolan's interpretation of Batman, not DC's take. The Batman in the comics is more like a mix of darker and lighter.

Jul 9 - 09:45 PM

Hugh Florence

Hugh Florence

The DC Movies are better.

Jul 18 - 08:45 PM

Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Says you...

Aug 10 - 10:58 PM

David Rf

David Rf

Wow, just wow. DC has Dark Knight and what else Green Lantern? Superman who has way too many powers and has been changed too much to go along with political correctness, I mean what happened with Truth, Justice and the American way? It flows better, you cannot change that, I mean that is what the dude says, that is his line.

Also, Green Lantern was alright, not great, not spectacular, but simply alright since I can watch it from beginning to end without turning it off, if that is saying a whole lot. DC has superman, batman, green lantern and watchmen but not a whole lot else.

Sep 29 - 05:59 AM

Angel Santiago

Angel Santiago

Haters gonna hate

Jun 22 - 05:56 PM

Tedi Irawan

Tedi Irawan

AGREEEEEED !!!
I yawn a lot, this movie could be better, far much better. but instead i found it's storyline equal to such as Power Rangers series or other Japanese robot show.

Jun 22 - 08:55 PM

Nelson Zhang

Nelson Zhang

"Far much better"? What are you? In grade school?

Jun 22 - 10:02 PM

Nelson Zhang

Nelson Zhang

And I find your grammar to be equal to that of a little kid.

Jun 22 - 10:03 PM

DialMForMovies

Rhett Bartlett

I agree Tedi. It had hardly any originality, and that was disappointing for me as I felt it could have been really good.

Jun 24 - 03:31 AM

Rick Stevenson

Rick Stevenson

See, this is where you're confused: you seem to think that the Avengers lacks originality, when in reality it's one of the originators. Just because you didn't get to see them in movie form until now doesn't mean they're a knock-off. Learn to enjoy the movie, and stop writing ignorant comments.

Jun 25 - 07:09 AM

Peter Paleschic

Peter Paleschic

Originality? It's a movie adaption of a superhero comic aimed at it's fans. If they took up too much artistic license they would piss off their target audience. You want a movie adaption of a popular source material, that strays from the original storyline? You should try "Dragonball Evolution" or "The Last Airbender". Oh that's right, THEY SUCKED.

Jun 26 - 03:09 AM

Alvin Lloyd Allipin

The Avengers HAS originality. And they accomplished on doing that. They finally let the public in on how truly fantastic the world of comic books are. And the public loved it!

The Avengers: the purest comic book movie to date. Not even Christopher Nolan's Batman films can even do that.

Jun 26 - 02:57 PM

Connor Cross

No my friend a masterpiece is something like the godfather or L.A confidential the avengers was very overated the only two good actors in that movie was robert downty junior and samuel L jackson and loki was a very gay villian the joker was much better then loki and the avengers original you have got to be kidding It was just a typical super hero movie batman the dark knight was more then just a typical super hero movie the dark knight is a 10/10 movie the avengers 7/10 and the dark knight was original

Jun 28 - 05:19 PM

Connor Cross

and besise the only good things joss whedon did was firefly and the movie serenity

Jun 28 - 06:22 PM

Jon Martin

Jon Martin

@ Connor : if you think Loki was a gay villain, you are seriously mistaken... The first batman was great (Because it was all about Bruce Wayne AND Batman) but the 2nd and 3rd one, he was overshadowed by the villains (Heath Ledger was absolutely amazing, as well as Tom Hardy)
That's why The Avengers will always be the best comic book movie, it had everything with every character...

Aug 10 - 11:05 PM

irishnucklez

Jacob Nielsen

Honestly, a fun movie for sure. Indeed an enjoyable experience...graphics out of this world, excellent character portrayels, good action. But I will say, I never felt a single instance of doubt or worry or fear for any of the heroes. Not once. Doesn't make it a bad film just, just more predictable than it could have been. I do like to feel some complexity whether or not certain characters will even survive. Maybe just a little too safe. Still liked for many other reasons.

Jun 23 - 12:51 AM

Raul Cantillo

Raul Cantillo

Thats exactly how i feel about the movie, it was pure spectacle, but no tension, no drama, no expectation, the only death in the whole movie, while it was a little sad, it wasnt at all important or sentimental or anything.

Jun 28 - 06:47 PM

Tom Murray

Tom Murray

FUCK YOU BITCH

Jul 9 - 03:26 PM

Chris D.

Chris David

Good reply... you showed him

Jul 17 - 03:15 PM

Chris D.

Chris David

I would say you are right on, I had lots of fun watching this movie, but i would have to say without the hulk in it... i probably would have fallen asleep. He was the biggest threat in the movie. The character development was pretty one dimensional and the feuds they all had with eachother were childish at best. The Bad guy Loki was no threat at all this whole movie nor was the army he had. I pretty much knew the ending from the begining. They squabble amongst themselves, settle their differences when the enemy starts to cause trouble, then have a big battle in the city where not one of them will get hurt very much. I thought that going in and wasn't surprised when it turned out that way

Jul 17 - 03:19 PM

Connor Cross

Yep,that was the whole tire movie.The dark knight and the dark knight rises were so much better and every single way.

Aug 21 - 06:24 PM

Cory German

Cory German

trolololol

Jun 23 - 10:31 AM

C.j. James

C.j. James

Congrats on getting a touch more web traffic through negative attention!

Jun 23 - 09:09 PM

Danny Letourneau

Danny Letourneau

get a life mr bartlett obviously $586 million reasons to like it so go watch the crying game already

Jun 24 - 01:05 PM

Cole Jaeger

Cole Jaeger

Transformers 3 made over a billion dollars. I guess that makes it one of the greatest movies ever.

Jul 4 - 06:36 AM

Tania Peterson

Tania Peterson

I'm tired of people saying there was no originality. It was based off the comic book. Stop expecting another Dark Knight. That's a graphic novel and Batman is another character from a different universe. Loki is a villain in the comic book. He's the God of Mischief. Then at the end in the post credits you see the bigger picture when a character is revealed. I think the movie was excellent and Joss is the best that ever did it. If you were expecting anything different that's your fault. All the marvel movies that came out these past five years were all action films just like this one. People need to understand genres. If you are going to see a movie based off a novel then expect it to be just that. Anything extra exciting makes it even better. When you go see a movie based off a COMIC BOOK same thing goes. Expect just that. Honestly Joss Whedon gave me life with this movie because it was better than what I thought it would be. There's a reason why it's the best super hero movie of all time today and no one had to die to boost box office sales. No offense I love Dark Knight and still watch it but it's not that special. Let's see if Christopher Nolan can put all the DC characters in one movie and pull it off. Til then, give credit where it's due.

Jun 24 - 05:54 PM

Fred Brooks

Fred Brooks

I agree 100% with you, AVENGERS is the best pure comic book film to ever grace the big screen in my opinion as well. This is exactly what a TRUE comic book film should be, apparently this writer just did'nt get the memo, or he just hates Marvel or comic book films as a whole or something. Whatever, that's his buisness.

Jun 25 - 02:44 PM

On my take of Nolan's Batman films:

Nolan's films are good but they don't truly capture the Batman of the comics. And plus, without the Joker, TDK is downright boring and cliched. It's a poorman's crime drama. Or should I say a made for TV crime drama. It doesn't resonate like Heat or Goodfellas.

Jun 26 - 03:00 PM

Fred Brooks

Fred Brooks

Look, everyone is not going to like a movie and i get that. Now that being said, 1/5 come on now. This sounds like the review of a guy who's heard numerous praise giving to this film(And rightfully so)and wanted to be one of these clown ass jokers who goes against the grain just to be doing it. Even if he did'nt like it, no way this guy see's this film and thinks it's a 1 star film, i don't believe that for a minute. Maybe Marvel did'nt invite this guy to an early press screening and he's holding a big grudge.

Jun 24 - 11:44 PM

Tania Peterson

Tania Peterson

LOL right on!

Jul 1 - 09:10 AM

Amanda Andrews

Amanda Andrews

North Carolina

Jun 26 - 02:09 AM

Josh Monroe

Josh Monroe

Dial M for Moron.

Jun 26 - 07:50 AM

Connor Cross

finally someone that knows what their talking about the dark knight is a much better movie and so will the dark knight rises

Jun 26 - 06:23 PM

Alvin Lloyd Allipin

It wasn't. Nolanites like you are pathetic, trying to make that film a masterpiece. It's just a glorified crime drama that features a man dressed as a bat.

The Avengers did something amazing: they finally let the public in on how truly fantastic the world of comic books are. And the public loved it!

So your argument is invalid. :P

Jun 27 - 02:39 PM

Connor Cross

and I dont hate the avengers it was a decent movie like I said its a 7/10 movie it wasnt a master piece or a classic I just will always prefore nolan over whedon any day and the dark knight did get better reviews then the avengers. and the dark knight was a masterpiece in a classic all I am saying is comparing the dark knight to the avengers the avengers suck

Jun 28 - 07:33 PM

Alvin Lloyd Allipin

You're making a joke of yourself because of your poor judgment and horrible grammar. Not kidding.

TDK wasn't considered as a masterpiece of its own. If it's not for the Joker, it would be a bore. The Avengers can be considered a gem, because of this: Nolan's Batman films brings dark and more dark. Only those whose minds were so jaded and grim would love his films because that is the only thing that would resonate them. But with The Avengers, the public has finally brought to the light of what comic books truly bring to the table. And of course, light will always prevail over darkness.

Stop being a Nolanite and look at the bigger picture: comparing The Avengers to The Dark Knight is like comparing apples and oranges; they're vastly different. You totally suck because you're always doing that. No joke.

Jun 28 - 07:53 PM

Alvin Lloyd Allipin

You're one of the people who would compare a true comic book movie to the stuff Nolan is trying to pass as one. His films are good but they don't truly capture the Batman of the comics. And plus, without the Joker, TDK is downright boring and cliched. It's a poorman's crime drama. Or should I say a made for TV crime drama. It doesn't resonate like Heat or Goodfellas. Bruce is one dimensional and boring, the same can be said for Bats. Nolan removed everything that makes the comics interesting and gave us this humdrum paint by numbers movie, that was only elevated by Heath's performance. With the Avengers, Marvel accomplished something original. They finally let the public in on how truly fantastic the world of comic books are. And the public loved it! They didn't water down anything like Nolan did, they didnt remove the more colorful characters (Robin) like Nolan did. Marvel embraced their heritage, they didn't run from it. How could someone, even if you're a comic book fan, hate on the Avengers, the purest comic book movie to date. I commend Nolan on making some decent Bat films, but they aren't true to the comics. Bruce would become more layered if Robin were around. If it wasn't just him and an old guy to feet away from the grave. There's no Batgirl, no Batwoman, no Killer Croc or Clayface, Riddler or Penguin. All because Nolan couldn't figure out how to bring them to life. Hell! If Marvel could sell the public on a Norse God, kicking it with a billionaire and a Super Soldier, a great director could sell the public on Robin and other more colorful characters that make the Bat comics what they are.

Jun 28 - 07:58 PM

Connor Cross

Believe it or not all superhero movies dont have to be strongly based on it's comic's and I read the batman comics and the only good one's is knightfall and the dark knight returns. And bruce wayne and the dark knight was awesome how can you say that he is boring and he is also smart. the story was original and unique and the acting was very well done. And batman in batman returns and batman forever and batman and robin were based on the comic's and those movie's sucked. And your never gona change my mind about the dark knight being the super hero movie ever made.So please stop trying

Jun 29 - 07:32 PM

Chris D.

Chris David

You do realize that if the Avengers did not have the hulk, how boring that movie would have been. The hulk made it enjoyable. But seriously the rediculous feuds the hero's all have, what are they 14? The movie was fun to watch but in no way a masterpiece. I knew the story before even walking into theaters. The heros wont like eachother, then learn to get along when they have to combine to fight a threat. And what a horrible threat the writers came up with, there wasn't any moment i feared for the hero's at all in this movie, it was completely predictable. the first iron man was a better movie than this. I can tell that you liked it more just cuz it has more heroes in it. but all in all the movie was a fun ride but very predictable and nothing unexpected happened throughout. Like i said take the hulk away from this and you are left with a snooze fest

Jul 17 - 03:29 PM

Alvin Lloyd Allipin

@Connor: Sorry, troll. But you're missing the point. The Dark Knight is just the best Batman interpretation to date, but not the best superhero movie ever. It's more like a glorified crime drama that features a man dressed as a bat. I mean, it's nice to see Batman in a realistic take but he was not the same Batman that he was in the comics. . In fact, it was the same bland-ass Bruce Wayne/Batman who is an anti-social loner who only has Alfred to keep him company; a boring, angst filled, fearful, not too smart guy, who is always several steps behind his adversary. And no, TDK wasn't original since it ripped off some parts of films like Heat and Shane. Nolan (a Michael Mann fan) himself stated that the bank robbery scene was taken from Heat and the final scene where Batman takes a shot from Dent's gun? That was the ending of Shane in a nutshell. If the Joker wasn't around, it would be boring and cliched. So TDK is 8/10 after I re-watched and re-evaluate it.

You're underestimating Joss Whedon a LOT. The Avengers is the best COMIC BOOK FILM TO DATE. All of the fantastic elements of a comic book are already there. ALL OF THEM. And stop comparing Loki to the Joker since both of them are different. Comparing the god of mischief to one of Batman's villains is pure stupidity. Tom Hiddleston nails the role and make it his. Heath Ledger's performance is legendary but the bad thing is that it shifted the focus to the villain rather than the hero (Batman) and worse, his untimely death. The Avengers is original because it's the first time that we see a superhero ensemble like this. This can be considered as a TRUE superhero film. And you're underestimating Joss Whedon much. You say Firefly and Serenity? I dunno if Nolan can relate to his fans, but Whedon does. Why? Because he's a comic book geek, a guy who loves, knows and writes comics! A Joss Whedon-directed X-Men film will be amazing if you ask me (look at his run of Astonishing X-Men). So The Avengers deserved a 9.5 or a perfect 10 because he did the impossible: putting an actual comic book on film. And you're even underestimating the cast. All of the actors nailed their roles! Not just RDJ and Samuel L. Jackson but so does Chris Evans and everyone else, even Mark Rufallo! Hell, he's the best actor who ever played Banner/ Hulk! I mean, Tony is still Tony, Cap acts like Cap, Thor remains Thor; because they were actually based from the comics. But Batman????? HELL NO!!!

The very reason why you're saying this is because you're fed too much on Nolan's Batman and believed that every superhero film should be like TDK. And it would never work on every superhero film. And please correct your goddamn grammar before every replying to me but maybe not because you are loss for words after reading this. Just accept the fact that you're a TROLL who hates the COMIC BOOK MOVIE genre. Or maybe hating COMIC BOOKS.

Jun 28 - 07:43 PM

Connor Cross

For one thing the Avengers story was to taped up it had terrible timing and captain America's character and thor's character were both really gay and terrible. and the dark knight was never copying off of heat or Shane. and the best superhero movie that is based on comic is no way in hell the avengers It's watchmen.And the penguin and robin are both really gay.and now that I think about it the avengers is 6/10 movie
I am sorry but the dark knight is way better then the avengers and the public loved the dark knight to.

Jun 29 - 08:03 AM

Alvin Lloyd Allipin

Totally wrong, bro. How can you say Thor and Cap being gay and terrible? Have you read the comics? Thor was portrayed as an arrogant and brash guy who has a "warrior's pride" yet he also humbled. Cap acts like Cap (Super Soldier, patriot, and everyman). And you're wrong on TDk never ripping off Heat and Shane. Here's the link:

Nolan cribbed Shane because he wanted an emotional ending and he didn't know how to pull it off. So he gives Gordon a son, which was never mentioned in the previous movie so he could steal an emotional ending from a classic western many folks today haven't seen. Stop being an ignoramus and try to watch those films.

You're totally wrong about Watchmen. That is a hit or miss because Zack Snyder did a heck of a job to make it closer to the graphic novel. But it received a mixed critical reception from fans of the graphic novel. But the biggest criticism came from none other than the original creator himself: ALAN MOORE. If I were for Snyder, he shouldn't direct Watchmen because film adaptations of Moore's works were from mediocre to bad. At least he is honest by saying that the film was made to make the people read the graphic novel more than watch his film. And speaking of Moore, his works are UNFILMABLE. He said: "There are things that we did with Watchmen that could only work in a comic, and were indeed designed to show off things that other media can't."

I'm sorry but the public loves The Avengers more than TDK. Like I said, LIGHT over darkness. So The Avengers is better than The Dark Knight. You're not making sense.

Jun 29 - 02:04 PM

Pattie Chienne

Pattie Chienne

"Really gay and terrible". Is that the best you can do? Dear god.

Sep 23 - 04:11 AM

Connor Cross

And the dark knight was focusing equally on the joker and batman and the batman in this film is original because It is a new look on batman It is a thing that has never been done to batman universe and I prefer batman being dark instead of a very happy and sill movie like the old one's were

Jun 29 - 08:05 AM

Connor Cross

And the dark knight was original becaouse nolan did something different with the batman universe instead of making it silly and happy and corny he made it very serious and dark which is what batman should have been all along and with out the joker that movie would have not been boring or cliched it would have been awesome movie with or with out the joker. so shut up you marvel fanboy

Jun 29 - 08:23 AM

Alvin Lloyd Allipin

Dark and serious? Is THAT original? Please. Try to compare the color pallet of a Nolan Batman film and a Batman comic. They're vastly different. Only an idiot will say Batman "should be dark and serious and that is what he supposed to be and not as silly, happy and corny." Try to read a Batman comic for once and you'll get my point. Even though he's a "dark and serious" character, he's also colorful. Nolan's Batman films will be better if he include ROBIN in the mythos because he represent's Batman's light and humanity. And it's fine because that enriches the Bruce Wayne character.

The beauty of Batman is not his rogue's gallery. It's the cast of supporting characters; his extended family. His fathers: Alfred and Jim Gordon. His sons: Dick, Jason, Tim, and Damien. His daughters: Barbara, Cassandra, and Stephanie. The relationships and love Bruce have for them elevates him beyond the darkness of his alter ego. He reveals his light through his family of his own choosing.

So are you saying that Nolan's Batman - a boring, angst filled, fearful, not too smart guy, who is always several steps behind his adversary; a Batman who muddles his way through a movie, is what Batman supposed to be? Big NO. And w/o Alfred and Fox, he'd just be a silly little ninja, trying to fight crime in a ski mask. That's not the Batman from the comics, that's not Batman. Period.

The world's greatest detective. The well trained smartest guy in the room. The master strategist. The man who raised several boys and girls and made them heroes like himself. The man who sees all life is sacred, that criminals can be saved. THAT is Batman.

I'm not just a Marvel fanboy. I'm a COMIC BOOK FAN. As a true comic book fan, Marvel's films are much better because they stayed 100 times truer to their source material than any other CBM to date. I love Nolan's Bat films, but they were just crime dramas than superhero films. And yes, crime dramas that features a guy dresses as a bat. I guess you hate the paradigm shift caused by The Avengers because the public is beginning to embrace the fantastic elements of comics and you never read a comic book in your whole life.

So shut up, Nolanite fag.

Jun 29 - 03:14 PM

Tania Peterson

Tania Peterson

@Connor C TDK was not original sir. It was based off the graphic novel. The Avengers was based off the COMIC BOOK. Graphic Novel : dark. Comic book : light. Two different things make two different movies. Shouldn't be compared Mmkay?

Jul 1 - 09:24 AM

Brandon James

Brandon James

Connor you are right on brotha Alvin is a hater. TDK was a complete movie Avengers was summer fun which is cool but not a complete movie. I am talking about how you feel for characters in peril , to the soundtrack, to the plot, to the darn villains Avengers just didn't do it for me I was bored at the theater and that is my opinion. As far as light over coming the dark yea at the box office because you get more people to watch happy stuff. Alvin says it was just a great crime drama...Batman is the best detective so that makes SENSE. Come on man...next

Jul 3 - 07:30 AM

Alvin Lloyd Allipin

@Brandon: Point fcking missed. I'm not actually a hater. I love TDK for what it is. But the fact is that Nolan's Batman wasn't the same Batman that he was in the comics. There is no hint of him being "The World's Greatest Detective". Try to compare the color of a Nolan Batman film to the color of a Batman comic. 'Nuff said. I can even consider The Avengers as a complete movie because it has all the comic book elements in one film.

Honestly, you've never been reading at comic in your whole life. You're not making sense either. But what I state is FACTS.

Jul 3 - 10:41 PM

Connor Cross

For one thing I grew up reading comics I read manga DC and Marvel. And adding robin in to nolan's film would make that movie extremely gay. And DC is way better then marvel.and the x-men movies dont stick to the original comics at all.And the avengers is nothing new they have made movies aboout a group of supre hero's before watchmen x-men fantastic4 dumb ass. and christian bale is the best batman actor. and christopher nolan was doing something new with batman. and I have watched heat and shane their is no way in hell the dark knight is copying off of those movies. And how about you look at ign and mega critq and the times magazine they both gave the dark knight better reviews.joss whedon should have just stayed with Firefly the tv show. and the dark knight is way better then the avengers in every single way when it comes down to the cast the villians the story in charectar development. So please shut the hell up you have no idea what your talking about the avengers being better then the dark knight is total BULL SHIT

Jun 29 - 06:22 PM

Connor Cross

And just becaouse something was inspired by something does not make it a rip off for example borderlands was inspired by fall out that doesnt make it a rip off just becaouse their both in a nuclear wasteland they both still have many differences so that does not make it a rip off

Jun 29 - 06:44 PM

Alvin Lloyd Allipin

Too many contradictions. I mean, how can anyone who loves all things comic books hate on the Avengers, the purest comic book movie to date?

You're missing the point. Adding Robin in the Nolanverse wouldn't be extremely gay just like what you said. Bruce would be layered more if he was around. In the comics, Dick Grayson, the first Robin, turned into a solo hero in Nightwing and then into the new Batman after Bruce went to hell (in the comics). And his Robin than Bruce's son Damian, making him the 5th character to take the Robin mantle. So making a family for yourself is extremely gay? You're not making any sense at all.

And The Avengers is not something new? You're the TRUE dumbass. X-Men and Fantastic Four was made by Fox. Have you ever watched the X-Men films? The first film features that the team is formed to begin with and Wolverine is the main character. It's more like 'Wolverine and Friends' if you ask me, counting the first 3 films. Fantastic Four is more like 4 guys were affect in a cosmic incident and they were like a family and relatives and such. I'm talking about the films made by Marvel Studios. Sony owned the rights to Spider-Man but good thing that Marc Webb's reboot make it closer to the comics and that's a good thing. Watchmen has the team established in the first place but it was nothing but a film which its creator refused to watch. The Avengers is like this: bringing all characters featured in the last five films and brought them together in this one ensemble flick. Bringing different people together as a team. And it sold very well!

And your claims on watching Heat and Shane and saying that TDK isn't copying them off is a sign of ignorance. Bale as best Batman? The Batman that Bale portrays isn't the same Batman in the comics. Bruce is one dimensional and boring, the same can be said for Bats. And ugh, the voice is horrid. Kevin Conroy is a better Batman actor compared to Keaton and Bale. TDK getting better reviews is just a thing of the past. Then you're a total idiot on underestimating Joss Whedon. I mean, how can a guy like you, who grew up reading comics, would say something bad against a guy who knows, loves, and writes comics? Firefly, Buffy and Angel aren't his also part of resume. The proofs are already there. You're ignorance makes you stupid if you ask me.

The only good thing about TDK is the Joker. That's it. And character development? There's no such thing. Both Batman and Bruce are none entities. They both lack personality and soul. Overcoming fear was the driving force in Begins. Nolan said so himself. Escalation and chaos was the driving arch in TDK. Nolan concerns himself with themes not characters. The only person in his Batman films that has a life is Gordon, and his family is thrown in as an afterthought. They're there because they serve the story; they don't reveal anything about Gordon. Alfred has no family, Lucius has no family, Bruce has no family. Neither of Nolan's films develops Bruce as a character. There is no reason to care for the guy. We just go to these films for the villains, the fights and the gadgets. Bats is the Bond of the Superhero set.

Jun 29 - 07:40 PM

Alvin Lloyd Allipin

And speaking of ripping off: I don't mind Nolan borrowing from either Heat or Shane, those are two movies I respect. Every artist is inspired by what has come before. Whedon is no different. And I thought the ferry sequence was the only part of TDK that didn't belong. It was like Nolan was trying to beat his point into our heads, just in case we missed it. Many criticsÔ?? felt the same about that section. Other wise...the film was cool. I didn't think the ending was optimistic at all. Bat's on the run, a lie hanging over his head, the city against him. I loved the ending because it was modelled after the ending of Shane. So it is classic in that sense but optimistic... nope.

True comic book fans know more than trolls like yourself. I mean, it's total travesty to compare a true comic book film like The Avengers to something that Nolan tried to pass as one. And right, watering off everything, taking out colorful characters like Robin, and taking out everything that makes the comics interesting is indeed original. And you know what's funny? Saying that TDK, which is a glorified crime drama that features a man dressed as a bat, is better than The Avengers, which is a true comic book film. That's a farce if you ask me. It's just the opposite.

So you should be the one who should shut up. Because it proves that you're a Nolanite and nothing else.

Jun 29 - 07:49 PM

Rob Mendez

Rob Mendez

First off "the first superhero ensemble like this"? I suppose X-men and Fantastic Four don't count, huh? Or perhaps you mean the joining of heroes from previous and over-hyped films? I guess you mean that one. But you are right, this gathering is the ONLY original thing about the film. And enough with the Josh Weldon praise, as if he's the only comic book writer working on a super hero film. If you actually did your homework, Christopher Nolan worked with David S. Goyer, a comic writer as well, for the 3 films so hush with that nonsense.

Jul 9 - 08:12 AM

Alvin Lloyd Allipin

David S. Goyer? You mean the same guy who wrote the second Ghost Rider film which is nothing more than a flop? He only wrote for JSA but not just the same as Whedon, who is a comic book geek: a guy who loves, knows and writes comics.

Go figure.

Jul 9 - 05:03 PM

Dac Broussard

Dac Broussard

Dial M For Moron

Jun 27 - 11:21 AM

Paul Favila-Iriqui

Paul Favila-Iriqui

Agree!
Its not the worst movie ever, but for the expectation it created, it just simply sucked!

2:22 min of movie and only :15min that actually can be enjoyed!

Jun 27 - 10:35 PM

Raul Cantillo

Raul Cantillo

I dont think it "sucked", but yeah, its a little overrated, i dont think its a classic, people just get intense about certain topics and keep calling it a masterpiece because of some colors and sounds.

Jun 28 - 06:51 PM

agree completely with you

Jun 28 - 07:34 PM

Alvin Lloyd Allipin

Completely disagree. It was all lies if you ask me. :P

Jun 28 - 07:59 PM

Lea Pang

Lea Pang

Your profile shows that you're a 10 year old kid on the computer. Get a life

Jul 2 - 07:57 PM

Rob Mendez

Rob Mendez

People are seriously calling The Avengers a masterpiece? Has the definition changed? If the Avengers is considered a masterpiece then hell, put Transformers: Dark of the Moon up there (Since their endings are practically identical). Some laughs and fight scenes (More laughs then fighting) don't make a masterpiece. A good story does. No matter how much explosions and CGI you shove in a movie, without a good story, it's irrelevant. The w as the problem with the Avengers. I literally left the theater feeling nothing. No excitement. Nothing. Biggest disappointment, but one that was expected.

Jul 9 - 08:27 AM

Alvin Lloyd Allipin

Only a full-fledged TROLL would compare to a genius like Whedon to a hack like Michael Bay. I think your interpretation of a 'good story' is a darker and grittier route, which it can be considered as a bad idea. It's like magic.

Instead, "The Avengers" maintains a delicate balance between light-hearted and dark, more keeping in tone with the fun mood of the "Iron Man" movies. But Whedon's not clowning around the whole time, and he's not afraid to have some very deep, dark, and dramatic scenes to get things serious. Keyword is BALANCE.

If you think that The Avengers wasn't a masterpiece of its own, then so does Nolan's Batman trilogy. It was just the best done CBM that features a comic book character. But the purest CBM goes to The Avengers. And the reason why you said it's a major disappointment is because your mind is so jaded and so grim. TDK is just more of a glorified crime drama. It has high-level of writing but it never resonates like Heat and Goodfellas.

Typical Nolanite logic.

Jul 9 - 05:11 PM

Jordan Belvin

Jordan Belvin

He never said anything about Batman... You are a moron. Typical Marvel fan boy. You will ride their dick and say everything they make is amazing. Avengers sucked balls. It was so boring, regardless of how close it was to the comics. I suppose the comics suck too.

Jul 16 - 01:04 PM

Kassem Jaber

Kassem Jaber

Fuck you

Jun 29 - 10:18 AM

Douglas Sudia

Douglas Sudia

Every meal doesn't have to be lobster and caviar...this reviewer needs to pull their head out of their ass and learn how to have FUN again. Cynical idiot.

Jun 29 - 11:06 AM