Which is better? The Dark Knight Rises or The Avengers??

It's hard for me too tell. I can't really pick one over the other, because it makes me feel like I'm not giving the other movie enough credit. The Dark Knight Rises was the perfect end to the Dark Knight Trilogy, but Avengers did what it needed to do: pay off the four year plan that was Phase 1.
David Gilmer
11-26-2012 06:44 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Joe Nickell

Joe Nickell

my order of preference
1. The Avengers 5/5
2. The Dark Knight Rises 3/5
3. The Dark knight 2/5

Jan 27 - 08:34 AM

Joe Nickell

Joe Nickell

The Avengers was simply a lot more fun and a lot more exciting. Now I was pleased with the ending of TDKR. I felt it was a fitting ending to an incredibly overrated trilogy. The Avengers is has just a bunch of great lines in it. And I gotta admit, when Batman was out with a broken back, the film was really getting boring. I was happy that Batman didn't die in the end. The Avengers was was good and fun even if you didn't see the 5 previous movies, although I think you would enjoy the Avengers more so if you've already seen the 5 movies it crosses over. Overall, I give Avengers 5/5, and TDKR 3/5.

Jan 19 - 04:05 PM

Fritz Frauendorf

Fritz Frauendorf

TDKR
Metacritic: 78/100
IMDB: 8.6/10

Avengers
Metacritic: 69/100
IMDB: 8.2/10

So TDKR has gotten higher critic and audience ratings. So more people liked TDKR. Thanks for coming to the show.

Dec 8 - 12:25 PM

Fritz Frauendorf

Fritz Frauendorf

TDKR is way better. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.

Dec 8 - 12:16 PM

Luke Dobson

Luke Dobson

I prefer The Dark Knight Rises over The Avengers, even though I thought both were just average movies.

Oct 13 - 04:34 AM

Johnny Ross

Johnny Ross

The difference between the the two is that The Avengers lived up to and maybe even surpassed the hype. The Dark Knight Rises, while still a good movie, was a huge disappointment.

Because of this, Avengers wins.

Plus, it's just way more entertaining and fun to watch. What are movies for?

Sep 30 - 08:42 PM

Fritz Frauendorf

Fritz Frauendorf

XD TDKR wasn't a dissapointment, it was huge succes and received high critical and audience acclaim. Go check out IMDB and Metacritic (TDKR is much higher rated) Idiots like you should stay home.

Dec 8 - 12:17 PM

Marc Cassidy

Marc Cassidy

cant compare both there are both different and also masterpieces in there own way... but if I were to choose my personal favourite it would be the dark knight because of the fact I'm more of a batman fan.

Sep 27 - 04:54 AM

Fritz Frauendorf

Fritz Frauendorf

Avengers was nowhere near a masterpiece.

Dec 8 - 12:18 PM

Nicholas Moody

Nicholas Moody

The Avengers, although The Dark Knight (not TDKR) is better than The Avengers.

Sep 23 - 08:43 AM

Fritz Frauendorf

Fritz Frauendorf

Both were better than the gayvengers.

Nathan Kieffer

Nathan Kieffer

TDKR is so much better than The Avengers. I was surprised by how unineteresting and poorly made The Avengers was made. Especially for an action packed superhero movie. There are much better ones out there(like Iron Man, spiderman1/2) amd The Dark Knight Rises was easily the better film. Though it didn't come close to TDK

Sep 5 - 12:11 PM

Fritz Frauendorf

Fritz Frauendorf

Exactly

Emily Laufeyson

Emily Laufeyson

I loved the Avengers through and through, i could never really finish watching any of the batman movies, they just didnt appeal to me very well, i didnt like the darkness of the movie and etc... i liked the Avengers because of their humor and also i found it was very entertaining, as i have seen it about 15 times in a span of 2 months. XDD But all i am saying is that i am a 100% Marvel person, and to be honest i only like one person from DC and that was Rorschach otherwise, i am a Marvel girl

Aug 29 - 02:31 PM

mr.terrific

Joseph Guiliano

The Dark Knight Rises, by far. Why do people even debate this?

Aug 22 - 09:41 AM

Branden M.

Branden Mata

Cause The Avengers is better by far.

Oct 8 - 11:10 PM

Fritz Frauendorf

Fritz Frauendorf

XD Bitch please! It's an absolute fact more people like TDKR than the avengers. Go check out IMDB and metacritic.

Dec 8 - 12:20 PM

Swishalicious29

Patrick Pillow

The Avengers

Aug 21 - 08:41 PM

Spirit Bear

Martin Tam

The dark night is better than both. You can't compare them, one is extremely dark, in a realistic world setting, while one is a fun pop-corn movie.

I like Avengers personally if you compare it to rises.

Jul 27 - 10:57 AM

Fritz Frauendorf

Fritz Frauendorf

Gay

Branden M.

Branden Mata

The Avengers for me. Now, The Dark Knight...that is better than Avengers. Not Rises though. There's just things in Rises that prevent it from being absolutely amazing, like Batman appearing back in Gotham, Gordon sending every cop in Gotham into the sewers, Catwoman killing Bane so easily and fast, there's more. Don't get me wrong, I still give Rises 4 out of 5 cause the acting is great by Hardy, Bale, Hathaway, Oldman, and Caine; the action and visuals are also great. And the overall dark atmosphere and epicness the movie emits is also great. I give Avengers 4 1/2 out 5 cause of the spectacular chemistry between the cast, performances by Downey Jr, Ruffalo, Johansson, and Hiddleston, the amazing action and visuals on display, especially the last like 20-25 min when there all battling together(some of the best I have ever seen), the humor throughout the film that is actually at times even hilarious, a great script with some awesome lines by Loki, Multiple heroes also helps o course, and the fact the film just feels like a huge blockbuster epic(a good one though and you can just feel it).

Jul 23 - 10:52 PM

Fritz Frauendorf

Fritz Frauendorf

HA nope.

Film Fanatic

Daire Hutton

dkr is the end of a franchise, avengers is the start, you cant compare them, this is only starting off a franchise so i couldnt say which was better

Jul 23 - 02:52 PM

Jack Napier

Jack Napier

Im gonna go with DKR cause it was more dramatic and action packed (for me) .. and better directing cause come on lets face it , the Avengers villain was pretty BORING!! unlike Bane.. and Nolan did some plot twist too ..

Jul 20 - 03:31 AM

????? ???????

????? ???????

the dark knight rises is wayyyyy beter then the avengers

Jul 15 - 09:54 AM

????? ???????

????? ???????

the dkr is amasterpic the avengers
(not so match)

Jul 15 - 09:52 AM

????? ???????

????? ???????

the dkr is amasterpic the avengers
(not so match)

Jul 15 - 09:52 AM

????? ???????

????? ???????

the dark knight rises 9\10 the avengers 7.5\10

Jul 15 - 09:27 AM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

The Dark Knight Rises by far.

Jul 5 - 04:43 AM

Spencer Thompson

Spencer Thompson

The Avengers is hugely entertaining, fun to watch, it pushed all my comic book buttons in a way they never been pushed before, and I saw it 4 times in the theater.
The Dark Knight Rises is beautifully choreographed and lead by a superb cast, but it's really bloated, it has a choppy first act, and it has too many characters, but the ending was absolutely spectacular!
In the end I would have to go with the Avengers!

Jun 27 - 05:58 PM

Fritz Frauendorf

Fritz Frauendorf

HA nope

Dec 8 - 12:22 PM

Christopher Spitzka

Christopher Spitzka

The Dark Knight Rises. Period.

Jun 21 - 08:56 PM

Johnny Ross

Johnny Ross

You ended your sentence with 3 periods.

Sep 30 - 08:40 PM

Fritz Frauendorf

Fritz Frauendorf

Yes i agree TDKR>>>>>>>>>>> Avengers

Jalen Smith-Fagan

Jalen Smith-Fagan

Avengers

Jun 21 - 01:00 PM

Luis Enrique Salas

Luis Enrique Salas

The Dark Knight Rises Obviusly!! Its a Masterpiece of the The Great Trilogy Of Chris Nolan!! The Avengers is a very good movie!! Is not better than TDKR!!

Jun 15 - 04:29 PM

Fritz Frauendorf

Fritz Frauendorf

correct

Judge Nikhil

nikhil bhardwaj

both are good but the avengers was better

Jun 15 - 06:54 AM

Fritz Frauendorf

Fritz Frauendorf

Nope

John C.

John Criger

I thought The Avengers was just a little bit better than The Dark Knight Rises.

Jun 12 - 01:47 PM

Fritz Frauendorf

Fritz Frauendorf

Then you thought wrong.

Dec 8 - 12:23 PM

Landon McCullough

Landon McCullough

I prefer TDKR just a bit over Avengers, but love them both.

Jun 8 - 04:04 PM

Market Man

Eric Shankle

I didn't care for both, but I'd rather sit through Avengers again than TDKR.

Jun 3 - 10:58 AM

Khaled Abdel Aziz

Khaled Abdel Aziz

Avengers by far

Jun 1 - 05:18 PM

Fritz Frauendorf

Fritz Frauendorf

nope

Rodrigo Garcia

Rodrigo Garcia

DKR was so bad the only thing that i liked was Bane and i thought catwoman was forced :/ the avengers is a good bit of fun but it was too long and the dialogue scenes were boring because the dialogue was so bad. Overall i din't like either i'm looking forward to Man of Steel. Im a big comic fan i love superheros and all that stuff.

May 29 - 12:04 AM

jgalvin5

Jordan Galvin

Dark knight rises, but we live in a world where we can have both

May 26 - 08:27 AM

Alex M.

Alex Mueller

dddddddduuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! the avengers

May 20 - 03:40 PM

Fritz Frauendorf

Fritz Frauendorf

HA! no

Nick Pirrelli

Nick Pirrelli

Avengers clearly, because if South Park can make an episode about it then you know it's great.

May 13 - 08:37 PM

Marlon Llano

Marlon Llano

buena jaja

May 22 - 11:34 AM

jgalvin5

Jordan Galvin

South park made a Bane episode

May 27 - 08:32 PM

Fritz Frauendorf

Fritz Frauendorf

If south park can make an episode you know it's shitty.

Lawson D.

Lawson Day

This seems like a cop out but i call a tie

May 6 - 07:03 PM

Ben Thompson

Ben Thompson

If I would put it into number ratings, I would say The Dark Knight Rises is 9.0/10, while The Avengers is 8.9/10.

May 5 - 07:48 AM

Marlon Llano

Marlon Llano

bueno, es que avengers es un proyecto unico, y es la primera pelicula de whedon

May 22 - 11:34 AM

Justin Chew

Justin Chew

avengers is just an average film. look at the plotholes. How was hulk able to control the hulk? How could hawkeye be taken out of his hypnotized trance with just one kick? And do u expect us to think that the professor had coincidentally made a way to shut down that portal device. Oh and the convenience of all the aliens dying phantom menace style after the nuke hit the ship? So power hungry aliens die because you blew up their starship? And Loki was so underpowered. This movie is just average.

May 4 - 08:40 PM

John Tyler

John Tyler McClane

It's a superhero film, dammit.

May 5 - 03:42 PM

Armin Comando

Armin Comando

We know, but TDKR is a superhero movie too and it is awesome.

May 15 - 11:01 PM

Marlon Llano

Marlon Llano

fueron 2 patadas en la cabeza y batman me aburrio de principio a fin. y por sus recaudaciones se nota que hubo mas gente que disfruto mas avengers que batman jaja

May 22 - 11:37 AM

Tj Herrington

Tj Herrington

The Hulk controlling himself is set up at the end of the Hulk movie when Dr. Banner purposely initiates a transformation while in a yoga pose. Just because he doesn't every time gets what he wants, doesn't mean he is without total control (in the movie world, at least).

The doc building in the safety was coincidental. He says he thinks he did know what he was doing because he built in a safety. This is similar to Hawkeye shooting Nick Fury in the chest instead of in the head. (There is a bad deleted scene on the DVD where Loki confronts Hawkeye about this--it's clear that the mind control is 100% in that scene, even if it is a solid 95% or more.)

I interpreted the aliens were cyborg warriors, not fully independent sentient beings. Is it a convenient way to end the battle, yep, and perhaps a bit forced. But, it made sense to me with the tubes and cables that were on those guys. Not to mention the metal and flesh flying caterpillar thingies. Seemed obvious they were like they were in the same vein as the organic / machine hybrids in the Battlestar Galactica series from a few years back.

Jun 15 - 07:47 AM

Tj Herrington

Tj Herrington

*wasn't* coincidental

Jun 15 - 07:48 AM

Johnny Ross

Johnny Ross

It's common knowledge that plot holes killed TDKR, not the Avengers.

Sep 30 - 08:44 PM

Tom Dan

Tom Dan

the avengers. i was slightly let down by tdkr . the first half was probably the best first half out off the three nolan movies, the villain bane was fantastic and the ending was fantastic but the second half turned the movie into a more of an escape from new york movie and not a batman movie, and batman coming out in daytime that just goes against everything and lastly when that army guy says get the president on the line it reminded me of something like tranformers which i really didnt like.. so all in all the avengers i thought was better it was near flawless. now im saying tdkr is a bad movie just the second half.

Apr 20 - 03:36 AM

President Pedro

President Pedro

While both are adapted from comic books, Marvel and DC have split both into separate categories. Marvel is more of a superhero film; containing huge action scenes, humor, and is much more of a blockbuster than anything. Dc on the other hand, especially Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, is more of a graphic novel. For the most part, DC has gone this route with immense darkness, adult themes, and goes deep in the mindset of the hero and villain, The Dark Knight trilogy, Watchmen, and V for Vendetta as well as the upcoming Man of Steel, are perfect examples. Both Marvel and Dc, for the most part, have done great jobs on both sides. Comparing both is very hard because even to this day comic books and graphic novels could not be more different. The Avengers is the perfect example of a superhero film, while The Dark Knight Rises is a fitting conclusion to a tremendous comic book adaptation trilogy. Your question comes down to this simple question, "Do you prefer comic books or the graphic novel", for me I personally would give the edge to TDKR, but the Avengers is a terrific accomplishment on Marvels part.

Apr 15 - 08:04 PM

John Tyler

John Tyler McClane

Both are equally brilliant.

Apr 14 - 11:03 AM

Peter Winter

Peter Winter

TDKR was brilliant on all levels, however i preferred TDK. Nolan is just so damn good. Avengers was also brilliant and i just wish Marvel hadn't added all the ego stuff in on top of Joss's more subtle approach. Joss is amazing, not as accomplished at the blockbuster as Nolan, as to be expected, but his humorous side puts him above Nolan in my book. I think when Joss has a few more under his belt we are going to see some true magic.

All in all how do you say one is better than the other. I have no feeling for this sort of comparison here.

Mar 26 - 12:34 AM

Bobby Hynder

Bobby Hynder

I like both for diiferent reasons but Avengers takes it.

Mar 16 - 11:14 PM

Timothy Wilkes

Timothy Wilkes

One can compare Nolan's bat films with skyfall, as they both had the lead character in a movie franchise that has began to look mr and miss chalk and cheese with a cheery on top. Nolan's films and skyfall were more human and realistic and had finally gotten rid of the fan boys pants that were making it seem ridiculous. Come on, an invisible car and exploding pens. Seriously.

Mar 9 - 03:20 PM

Tony Stark

sam varma

stolen my idea!

Mar 16 - 02:01 AM

Timothy Wilkes

Timothy Wilkes

To me Batman has also been more personal and painful compared to that of the marvel movies. There are more social and economical matters at the centre. for DKR, there was a obvious conflict of rich while marvel films tend to lean on just pure i mean just pure science fiction if you catch me drift

Mar 9 - 03:13 PM

Pat ChalupaBatman

Pat ChalupaBatman

They're different movies if you need one to be better than the other you're a desperate fanboy

Mar 9 - 12:13 AM

Cody H.

Cody Halpert

Spot on.

Mar 9 - 01:52 PM

David Gilmer

David Gilmer

Can't deny I am... but I wear my fanboy-ness proudly.

Mar 25 - 11:48 AM

Matt S.

Matt Smith

I watched them back to back and really enjoyed both.

Batman closes out one of the best trilogies ever. It's clearly a much darker, dramatic movie.

Avengers was awesome though too. Robert Downey Jr. stole the show so it almost felt like Iron man on steriods/ with friends. Iron man was great though so that's meant completely as a compliment.

I guess I don't understand the point of praising one and bashing the other. It's like the MJ vs. Lebron argument everyone loves so much.

Mar 5 - 03:40 AM

Mackenzie Herren

Mackenzie Herren

I mean, honestly, the Avengers kind of sucked.

Feb 19 - 08:16 PM

Jon Martin

Jon Martin

TDKR didn't only "kind of" sucked, it actually did... in a monumental way!

Feb 20 - 09:43 PM

Tony Stark

sam varma

I disagree with both of you... both films were awesome but I liked avengers was slightly better...if you wanna compare somthuing compare skyfall and tdkr..

Feb 20 - 10:39 PM

Alex M.

Alex Maverick

Yeah, because TDKR and Skyfall are the exact same genre. That makes sense.

Feb 22 - 03:47 PM

Tony Stark

sam varma

dumbfuck

Apr 8 - 02:39 AM

Mackenzie Herren

Mackenzie Herren

Jonathan?. you have given no reasons for the Dark Knight Rises to deserve such criticism. Which is really amazing considering how many comments you have posted. The Avengers is nothing new. You can see things like that anywhere. (And if your argument for the Dark Knight Rises sucking is its plot holes, don't even respond because plot holes in the Avengers are much more frequent and bothersome.

Feb 22 - 10:40 PM

Jon Martin

Jon Martin

You said you saw that I posted comments, have you actually read some of them? If you thought the plot holes were much more frequent and bothersome, hey, that's the way you saw the movie. No harm done there, but comparing the 2 without being able to realize that the plot holes in TDKR are much more potent, then you sir, are mistaken.

Feb 24 - 01:23 AM

Mackenzie Herren

Mackenzie Herren

"You fight like a young man, with nothing held back. Admirable, but mistaken." It's like that line was written for you.

By the way. Could you list some plot holes in the Dark Knight Rises for me?

Mar 18 - 07:48 PM

Sam Hennigh

Sam Hennigh

Plot Holes:
1. How did Bruce Wayne get back to America when he is broke and has nothing with him.
2. How did Bane who already slipped his way into America leave and then come back without anyone noticing.
3.If they knew that thing could be turned into a bomb how the only security is that it's underground.
4. Joseph Gordon Levitt's character knew Bruce was Batman by the look in his face.
5. Finally, because I am tired of naming them off, how did Batman escape in time not to be vaporized and the fact that the city still would have been effected by the fallout of the nuke.

Apr 10 - 10:33 PM

Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Thank you Sam!

Apr 11 - 11:32 AM

Marlon Llano

Marlon Llano

6. como nadie sospecha que bruce es batman si ambos desaparecieron y aparecieron durante 8 anos
7, por que volaron el puente los policias para asegurar su muerte ellos y no la bomba?

May 22 - 11:43 AM

Mackenzie Herren

Mackenzie Herren

I hated the Avengers. The Dark Knight Rises was monumental. It was incredible.

Feb 19 - 08:15 PM

Tony Stark

sam varma

dude fuck off you bastard..

Mackenzie Herren

Mackenzie Herren

Wow. You are incredibly immature?.

Feb 22 - 10:41 PM

Jeff P.

Jeff Walken

Oh, poor Sam. Not everyone agrees with him.

Feb 25 - 01:21 PM

Tony Stark

sam varma

sorry bad mood at that time and yeah not everyone

Mar 14 - 06:45 AM

John Tyler

John Tyler McClane

Yo, Mac, what the hell was so bad about The Avengers?

Apr 20 - 03:39 AM

Marlon Llano

Marlon Llano

batman me aburruio y the avengers fue epica, asi de simple

May 22 - 11:43 AM

Mitch Carpenter

Mitch Carpenter

I came out of Avengers knowing I had just witnessed one of the most spectacular action movies of all time. I came out of Dark Knight Rises satisfied with the conclusion of one of the greatest trilogies of all time. Two very different movies, but I'll go with Avengers every time.

Feb 12 - 09:10 AM

Tony Stark

sam varma

see...

Christopher Chan

Christopher Chan

Batman is better because it has fantastic action and it is unbelievable that Batman and Catwoman just beat the crap out of bane and Talia A Ghul.
So I prefer Batman

Feb 11 - 09:19 PM

Marlon Llano

Marlon Llano

accion fantastica?, mas fantastica son las peliculas de accion de bruce willis incluso jaja

May 22 - 11:45 AM

Tony Stark

sam varma

completely different movies!

Feb 9 - 04:55 AM

Mia Baker

Mia Baker

The Dark Knight Rises is the better movie in my opinion, the film overall was fantastic, full of action and suspense. I'm a Marvel fan so it is hard for me to say this, but The Avengers was a let down for me. The plot was a mess and it was a series of convenient events after another. For example, The Hulk suddenly able to control himself and the fact the all the aliens dead at the end. Also, Hawkeye was ignored throughout the movie, I think he's a great character and I hope in the next movie he'll have a greater part in the plot.

Feb 4 - 08:06 AM

Marlon Llano

Marlon Llano

the avengers fue un proyecto unico mia, batman ya tuvo 7 peliculas, es obvio que tiene mas experiencia, valora eso

May 22 - 11:46 AM

Michael  A.

Michael Alcova

The Dark Knight Rises.

And it's not even close. Don't get me wrong; The Avengers is great. But, its greatness lies solely in its pure entertainment value. It is carried by its wit and non-stop action.

TDKR, on the other hand, is so much more. It's a film with true purpose. The characters and story contain an emotional depth that The Avengers simply does not have.

And though Loki does an adequate job as a villain, he pales in comparison to Bane.

Overall, The Avengers is yet another movie that takes way too long to get to the point, and then only makes a halfhearted attempt at putting forth a comprehensible story. The only saving grace is that the Hulk actually gets to have fun this time around; too bad he's the only one. Joss Whedon is one of the more creative people in the industry, but this just seemed too big for him.

Jan 30 - 06:27 AM

Jon Martin

Jon Martin

That's your opinion and your perception of the movie, it doesn't make it factual. But, by reading your post, being subjective is not a valid for reviewing movies.

Jan 30 - 09:49 AM

Haenik Kamdar

Haenik Kamdar

Avengers definitely... The dark knight was GOOD no doubt but the story was obviously dragged ... avengers beat the hell out of the dark knight

Jan 29 - 05:42 AM

Christian Wetzel

Christian Wetzel

Duh....AVENGERS!

Jan 24 - 08:08 AM

Alex M.

Alex Maverick

Two completely different movies.

Jan 19 - 08:40 PM

Kevin DeLoughry

Kevin DeLoughry

I agree with you, don't compare them. IF anything compare TDKR to Skyfall, they have essentially similar stories

Feb 3 - 06:41 PM

Tony Stark

sam varma

hey maverick... if you agree with me then why did you post that comment on the tdkr forum saying that i was wrong?

Mar 16 - 02:03 AM

Alex M.

Alex Maverick

I really don't know what you're talking about. I believe The Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises and Skyfall are all completely different from each other.

Mar 16 - 01:35 PM

Christina Smith

Christina Smith

This whole Avengers vs. Dark Kinght Rises needs to stop.I saw both and enjoyed both for different reasons. I love The Avengers for being fun and felt like pages of a comic book. I love TDKR for being dark and more grounded in reality.You cant compare the two. I dont mind people saying TDKR is better, but there is no reason to trash The Avengers when they say it's better and Vice Versa. Enjoy Both and be happy!

Jan 19 - 01:36 PM

Akshat Mathur

Akshat Mathur

IT's a tough decision but tdkr defeats the avengers bya small margin......avengers provided action and entertainment while tdkr provided suspese, action and a gripping story....it may not be the best sequel to the dark knight but its prequel did set the bar quite high
so i conclude that on the above mentioned margins the tdkr defeats avengers...

Jan 18 - 11:23 PM

David Gilmer

David Gilmer

Wow. I have never gotten this much buzz here. Thanks everybody, and keep arguing; it makes for some exciting stuff to read.

Jan 14 - 05:44 PM

Geraldo Gallardo Trujillo

Geraldo Gallardo Trujillo

The Dark Knight Rises

Jan 8 - 09:38 AM

Typhon

Typhon Q

Avengers: An entertaining, light-hearted, and funny movie. The plot is more on the simple side, but still effective, since theres only so much you can do when you have six superheroes on the same screen. A very good time.
The Dark Knight Rises: A darker, more serious movie. It was deeper and more mature than Avengers. It also had a better villain. Also a very entertaining movie.

Jan 7 - 03:19 PM

Codrin Vasile

Codrin Vasile

Fully agree with you. Still I prefer TDKR, which truly is a "grande finale" for the best superhero film trilogy by now.

Jan 19 - 01:41 AM

Chloe-Jade G.

Chloe-Jade Gardner

BY FAR the Dark Knight Rises

Jan 6 - 11:23 AM

Jon Martin

Jon Martin

by saying "BY FAR", you mean being "by far" in the same vicinity as great as The Avengers... if so, I totally agree with you, lol

Jan 6 - 03:42 PM

Michael X.

Zero Override

Learn to accept opinions.

Jan 11 - 11:23 PM

Jon Martin

Jon Martin

I believe sarcasm is an ability not comprehended by all. Read between the lines before making assumptions, dumbass!

Jan 13 - 08:57 PM

Michael X.

Zero Override

oooh, someone's hostile.
Calling me a dumbass doesn't solve anything.
Sarcasm doesn't work well through text on the internet.
Dumbass.

Jan 24 - 06:36 PM

Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Doesn't change the fact that it was very clear about the sarcasm. As I said, not everyone can distinguish it, such as yourself. Just like the fact that you can't come up with decent comebacks, you have to duplicate mine, bravo douchi!! But please, reply only when you get your head out of your ass and have cleaned all the shit...

Jan 27 - 08:40 PM

Branden Mata

Branden Mata

The Avengers. 20,30 years from now The Avengers is a classic. And while TDK trilogy will be a classic as well(TDK is my favorite film), TDKR will be considered by many "The Return of the Jedi" of the trilogy. And The Avengers will be considered, along with TDK, the pinnacle high points of the Superhero genre. Though, I'm hoping Man of Steel can join those two. Along with Avengers2(it's gonna have such high expectations from so many people though, prob including me lol).

Jan 6 - 10:39 AM

Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Agreeing with everything you said, except the part about TDK, I believe Heath Ledger's performance will make that movie memorable for ages, not the movie itself, but that's just me. And TDKR will never be compared to Return of the Jedi, I'd say, if you want to compare with Star Wars movies, it will be considered the Phantom Menace of the trilogy, as it was the weakest one. Batman Begins on the other hand was an instant classic.

Jan 6 - 03:47 PM

Alex M.

Alex Maverick

Batman Begins is the weakest one. Still good, but I just enjoy the other two more.

Jan 19 - 08:41 PM

Robbie Obrien

Robbie Obrien

The Avengers

Jan 4 - 06:51 AM

Tom S.

Tom Smith

THE DARK KNIGHT! (not rises)

Jan 4 - 05:05 AM

williamstormer95

William Costigan

The Dark Knight Rises

Jan 3 - 11:52 PM

Alex H.

Alex Haines

The Dark Knight Rises, i still liked the Avengersthe first hour and a half actually kept me really entertained, even if i already heard the story already, but the final hour felt so much like a cartoon, you could say i felt like i was watching a kids movie when i was watching it. I also had a huge problem with the casualties of the battle. This apocalyptic battle is going on in New York City (i must also point out that NYC is the largest populated city in the United States), and there isn't a single civilian casualty in it. at least in the dark knight rises there were at least casualties on the good side. At least TDKR wasn't afraid to unleash it's violence. at least the villain in this was ruthless. I am not saying The Avengers is a bad movie, nor am i saying that TDKR is a perfect movie, i'd just put TDKR over The Avengers.

Dec 31 - 07:13 PM

Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Not arguing or anything, just saying that Avengers is more comic book friendly (meaning that there's violence, but it's not fatal) and TDKR was storied to be more realistic, so it's definitive that there's going to be deaths, on both sides.

Jan 2 - 08:29 PM

This comment has been removed.

Marlon Llano

Marlon Llano

Agujeros del diagrama en batman:
1. ¿Cómo Bruce Wayne a volver a los Estados Unidos cuando se le rompió y no tiene nada con él.
2. ¿Cómo Bane que ya pasó el camino en América salir y luego regresar sin que nadie se diera cuenta.
3.En caso de que sabían que algo se podría convertir en una bomba de cómo la única seguridad es que es subterráneo.
4. El personaje de Joseph Gordon Levitt sabía Bruce era Batman por la mirada en su rostro.
5. Por último, porque estoy cansado de nombrar a retirarse, ¿cómo Batman escapar a tiempo para no ser vaporizado y el hecho de que la ciudad todavía se habría efectuado por las consecuencias de la bomba nuclear.

May 22 - 11:51 AM

Marlon Llano

Marlon Llano

las victimas en the avengers se ven las escenas eliminadas

May 22 - 11:49 AM

Brandon Stevens

Brandon Stevens

There were definitely some casualties in the film. At the end on the news, you saw some people showing honor to their loved ones that passed away.

Jul 27 - 12:18 AM

Siddharth Kamat

Siddharth Kamat

The Dark Knight Rises

Dec 30 - 10:08 PM

Jon Martin

Jon Martin

The Dark Knight Rises is an atrocity, it was never even in the same vicinity as perfect. Because that perfect end you're talking about has the same story line as Batman Begins. So what's the point of adding to the story when you recycle your own material to retell the same thing twice in a trilogy?

Dec 30 - 09:04 PM

Armin Comando

Armin Comando

learn to accept opinions douche and shut the hell up bitching about TDKR, god!

May 15 - 11:05 PM

Jon Martin

Jon Martin

First off, I do accept opinions. Second, I am giving mine, so STFU and accept mine and third, why is it not okay to bring out the movies flaws (Which are many) and accept that it is just a real bad movie?

May 25 - 10:30 PM

Marlon Llano

Marlon Llano

tienes razon jonatan, a mi batman me aburrio

May 22 - 11:52 AM

Bram S.

Bram Sterling

Since I really didn't like The Avengers, I can easily say that The Dark Knight Rises is better.

Dec 30 - 04:29 AM

Jeffrey Ballesteros

Jeffrey Ballesteros

I'll admit that this movie was GREAT. However, I am more with Batman and DC Comics since The Dark Knight is the 2nd GREATEST Superhero of ALL Time behind the Man of Steel. My disappointment is that Warner Bros. & DC Comics should have made a Justice League live-action film a few years before this movie came out. I am sure they (as well as I) are feeling the "Sputnik Syndrome".

Dec 26 - 02:41 AM

Alex H.

Alex Haines

you do realize that Man of Steel hasn't come out yet right, so how can it be on the top of the list?

Dec 31 - 06:58 PM

sbsreg

Sanjay Shetty

Loved the Avengers. The Avengers was faithful to the comics while TDKR was lousy & all was never faithful to the Batman mythos.

Dec 24 - 10:50 PM

Mackenzie Herren

Mackenzie Herren

Something being true to the source material doesn't define greatness. What defines its greatness is its complexity and its emotional depth. The Avengers lacks those 2 things. The Dark Knight Rises actually interpreted parts of the comics. It brought the Batman universe into our reality with something we can relate to. Instead of ridiculous explosions, and an alien army because the writers couldn't come up with any clever enemy.

Feb 19 - 07:58 PM

Barron Louise Mata

Barron Louise Mata

I PREFER NORBIT

Dec 23 - 01:20 PM

Serena Nelson

Serena Nelson

I think they're both too different to compare. Guess that doesn't really add much to the conversation...

Dec 22 - 11:50 AM

Trent D.

Trent D.

Short an sweet version: Avengers>TDKR
Seeing as how i completely agree with Jonathan Martin; restating what he said would be redundant and pointless.

Dec 13 - 02:34 PM

Jon Martin

Jon Martin

I thank you sir for actually getting what I was saying. :)

Dec 13 - 09:34 PM

Swayamdeep Singh

Swayamdeep Singh

Both were really good. But I prefer TDKR

Dec 13 - 12:15 PM

Jimbo Franks

Jimbo Franks

The Avengers was terrible. Boring, predictable nothing new. I fell asleep.

Dec 9 - 04:30 PM

Marlon Llano

Marlon Llano

millar de millones de personas a mas dicen lo contrario jaja

May 22 - 11:53 AM

David Tanny

David Tanny

While I highly enjoyed both Avengers and Dark Knight Rises, I choose Rises. Avengers is fun, light entertainment. But I don't want to undermine it's fantastic writing. With that said, Rises appeals to me more by being a more "serious" film. I felt an emotional connection with the story and it's characters, and felt more invested with what was happening. I never felt worried for the characters in Avengers, which i guess added to the fun, but in Rises, I was worried about Jim Gordon and Bruce Wayne throughout the film. Anyways, I own both movies on blu-ray and enjoy watching both.

Dec 7 - 12:01 AM

Anthony Inman

Anthony Inman

The Avengers by a long shot. TDKR was not a good ending to a trilogy.

Dec 3 - 10:39 PM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

I would say Avengers, honestly; it fit (and exceeded) my expectations more so than TDKR. TDKR is a movie that I'm glad I saw, but wouldn't be terribly enthusiastic to view again; I wouldn't mind viewing Avengers on occasion.

Dec 1 - 08:39 AM

Austin W.

Austin Williamson

I have to say "The Dark Knight Rises". I have no favor in Marvel or DC, I just like superheroes in general so I don't favor Batman automatically. "The Avengers" was a slap to the face, for me personally. It felt like a giant stand-up comedy routine that didn't take itself seriously and overall came off as a spoof with a big budget. Hulk now comes out with the flick of an internal light swtich? Welp, there goes the reason I love Hulk; the anticipation, the caution that Banner took to prevent himself and when he couldn't, his nightmare becomes an uncontrollable reality. Gone. Thanks. Another thing, why is Captain America treated like the least important member? It seemed like no one in the movie gave a rats a** about him: AND HE'S THE LEADER!

Not saying TDKR is perfect, but Avengers just disgusted me.

Nov 29 - 09:16 AM

Jon Martin

Jon Martin

You clearly do not know what you are talking about!! Everything in The Avengers was spot on!! The acting, the story, the characters, EVERYTHING!! Unlike its competition... TDKR was a crime drama that so happens to feature Batman, how lame is that? Nolan failed to capture the essential of what the caped crusader should have been : A determined, dynamic and resourceful person that can persevere through anything without doubting or second guessing himself. The 3rd Nolan Batman was a disgrace and nothing less...

Dec 2 - 11:48 PM

Austin W.

Austin Williamson

I have the right to hold an opinion, sir. As I have said before, I do not personally favor Marvel or DC. I look at the majority of it as a casual comic book fan and as one who loves to go to the movies. Now, maybe it's because Avengers had a plot involving an alien invasion, which I have grown tired of lately with so many movies using a similar set up. And I know The Avengers does protect Earth against alien threats, for the most part. I may have been too harsh on it, but I do see some obvious flaws in both movies, not just one. Although I do know that TDKR is based off of many Batman storylines, mainly "Knightfall", "No Man's Land", and "The Dark Knight Returns". Yes, it is a bit sloppy in delivery, but it's not some average crime drama. To be fair, neither movie extremely impressed me besides a few emotional scenes in TDKR. Maybe I would've enjoyed Avengers if it took itself more seriously

Dec 3 - 04:57 AM

Jon Martin

Jon Martin

I don't favor Marvel nor DC, I am like you, looking to enjoy a good movie. That said, I felt empty after watching TDKR and I felt overly satisfied after watching The Avengers. So maybe our tastes in movies may look similar, but our expectations are totally different.

Dec 3 - 03:16 PM

Austin W.

Austin Williamson

Fair enough, I can agree with that. I am getting tired of, and I'm not targeting you, people bashing other people's opinions because they think Avengers is the greatest movie of all time and anyone that says otherwise should burn at the stake.

Same thing with Heath Ledger as The Joker. He was fantastic with what he was given, but there are people out there that strongly feel Joker should be retired from film forever and that Ledger is some sort of acting god. To be honest, I don't like Nolan's Joker at all and Heath did the best he could with what he was given. But it's so absurd to see so many people act like there is no one better than one person.

Dec 6 - 04:47 AM

Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Totally agree!! Although I loved Ledger's Joker, I thought he was what made the movie intriguing.
They can't retire Joker, because without him, there is no Batman, IMO.
It may look like I'm bashing, but I always give an explanation to counter what people are saying. I don't just say "f*** y**" and you suck. I try to give reason to my argument

Dec 7 - 08:20 AM

Trent D.

Trent D.

Quick shout-out to you, i completely agree, and thought that you should know.

Dec 13 - 02:35 PM

Peter Gaskas

Peter Gaskas

Jonathan Martin you need TO SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!! I've been reading everyone's post and you are by far the most annoying person on this thread. Your bashing on everyone who likes/loves TDKR and then take offence when someone makes a negative comment about your precious avengers. Yes, we know you LOVE the avengers now why don't you go play hide and go fuck yourself.

Feb 22 - 11:56 AM

Jon Martin

Jon Martin

OOOoooouuhh! Geez! You got offended by my criticism real quick. I didn't "bash" anyone, I bashed the movie, yes. You clearly have a short temper and can't handle the fact that this is an opinion-based thread. It is clear that you are a troll with the mental capacity of a rock since all you did was get angry and ran your mouth with profanities. Next time, try to think before writing something, until then, fuck off grasshopper!!

Mar 10 - 09:47 PM

Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Oh and just so you can understand, if you can't stand other people's opinions, then you should not be here!! You would actually be better at hiding and fucking yourself, so that's a good place to start. You only made yourself look like a complete idiot for lacking the brain power to comprehend others... I suggest sticking to your coloring books, they suit you more, dumbass!

Mar 10 - 09:59 PM

Gerardo Cardenas

Gerardo Cardenas

Hey, Austin Williamson, I also agree with you. Basically, all your points/counterpoints were spot-on what I believe. TDKR > AVENGERS.

Dec 31 - 08:28 AM

Muhammad Malik

Muhammad Malik

TDKR by a long shot! Hell, Batman by Tim Burton was better than avengers

Nov 28 - 09:18 AM

Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Funny you should say that... because TDKR was the worst film ever to feature a comic book character!!! The Avengers movie knew what they were doing and gave us a story and the acting of a worthy comic book movie. TDKR was a massively over-dramatized soap opera!! It was a superficial movie, where the cast was one of the best to ever have been put on screen (Bale, Oldman, Hardy, Hathaway, Murphy, Caine, Cotillard, Freeman and Gordon-Levitt)but it was eye-candy, because even they couldn't save this shipwreck of a movie!!! It had no soul at all, it felt rushed and lacking.
Just to compare, Resident Evil 5 was more entertaining than this crappy excuse for a movie...

Dec 2 - 11:40 PM

David Gilmer

David Gilmer

Are you including Batman and Robin, Catwoman, and Green Lantern in that statement??

Dec 16 - 03:07 PM

Jon Martin

Jon Martin

No, Batman and Robin and Catwoman were as mediocre as TDKR, as for Green Lantern, I think it's an underrated film because the story was comic book plausible. The only thing I disagree with the movie was that Hal Jordan was never a sarcastic guy, but in the movie's defense, they implied on it to show the transition from that guy into the hero he became.

Dec 17 - 10:38 PM

David Gilmer

David Gilmer

I'd go so far as to say that Batman and Robin and Catwoman are worse than TDKR, which is actually good by the way.

Feb 2 - 06:53 PM

KoshKing777

Nate Fowler

I've generally been leaning towards your opinions on this forum thus far, Jonathan, but I am inclined to disagree with you here. TDKR is not great. It's something orbiting the state of "pretty good", in my mind, mostly just because it felt very disappointing to me. It was in NO way the worst comic book movie ever, though, at least with the emphasis on "movie" in that statement (rather than "comic book" - it was a generally messy, lukewarm adaptation of the several graphic novels it was based on). However, I would rather see something convoluted, confused and with a disappointing climax than to see something as abominable as Green Lantern EVER again. That movie was simply tripe.
Batman and Robin is a TINY bit entertaining (read: amusing) just due to how brain-searingly awful it is; the same applies to Catwoman, too, from what little I've seen of it.

TDKR does have a lot going for it, though. I think you're generally focusing too much on its few issues...they are certainly detrimental issues, I'll grant you that, but they don't completely ruin the entire endeavor. Not in my opinion, anyway.

I really, really enjoyed The Avengers, but I'll also admit that it had several problems (the bored overuse of the alien invasion plotline for one, the lack of any mentioned casualties for another...and a completely nonthreatening central villain.) However, to me, its unrelenting pace, humor, fantastic acting, and general sense of bliss were something sublime. On the other hand, I honestly think I might have enjoyed TDKR much more had I not seen the other two Nolan films (and the first Burton film), as I don't think it compares very well to THEM, but it's still an epic, thought-provoking, and dire story (you can't really use those words to describe Avengers, without stretching their meaning).

Just thought I'd share my thoughts. Don't be TOO hard on TDKR. It's not Twilight. And it's CERTAINLY not Green Lantern.

Jan 8 - 01:01 PM

Jon Martin

Jon Martin

As I mentioned before, TDKR portrayed Batman as a totally opposite person of who he's suppose to be. The movie was long, overrated and too many plot tying elements that was incoherent.
In my opinion, Green Lantern is the best movie that came out of the DC universe since the first Superman with Christopher Reeves.
I may have been harsh, but it's how disappointed I've been while watching this bore of a movie.
I respect your opinion about the movie and I do see your point of view, but I politely disagree.

Jan 8 - 08:56 PM

KoshKing777

Nate Fowler

Thanks for your polite response! I only noticed the difference in dates between our posts after I composed mine, lol, so I doubted I'd get a response very quickly, if ever.

I respect your opinion that Green Lantern rocks - I'm glad that someone likes it. It must have a very low self-esteem. Maybe you can be its support group.

I just wanted to add that it's interesting that you have such a problem with Nolan's Batman acting so antithetical to the Batman of the comics, while, as you pointed out earlier, Hal Jordan's character is grossly misrepresented in Green Lantern as well. Different takes on a classic character aren't always bad at all (in stage productions/films, Pontius Pilate has had 7 distinct personalities/interpretations throughout the character's long life; also, RDJ's reinvention of Iron Man was a great improvement on the character, imo). So, clearly, the problem arises when the viewer finds the change in the character distasteful. I respect the fact that you dislike Bale's Batman. For me, though, I certainly recognize the alteration in Bruce's personality/behavior here, but it didn't make me want to strangle him throughout this trilogy, unlike poor Ryan Reynolds's portrayal in Lantern - the guy was born to play either Flash or Deadpool (or maybe Lobo, too?? I don't know).

But I really hated where he took Hal Jordan. It's a problem when I am empathizing and rooting for the villains (Sinestro and especially Hector) while hating the hero's cocky, spiteful, wrathful, jock guts. I know you argue that the movie uses Hal's initially despicable personality as a way to show character development and improvement, but...well, if such improvement occurred it was far too muted to be noticeable. If he'd saved Hector's life or done something equally awe-inspiringly heroic and life-risking for someone who he would have ordinarily disdained (or even just disregarded), I would agree with you that he had grown (and it might have saved the movie for me, despite the multitude of issues I have with it). It just felt far too little to justify Hal's "heroic turn." And don't get me started on Parallax's portrayal and usage in the film. x_x

I was really hoping for Green Lantern's success, as I wanted another superhero from DC to score his (or her) own series (which would have opened the gates, much like Marvel); sadly, I think GL did just as little as Superman Returns in breathing new life into the public's interest in DC. I'm very curious to see if they'll keep Ryan on board for the Justice League - it'd be nice to have at least one familiar face, if the upcoming release date for JL is as permanent as it seems.

I'm curious; what were your thoughts on Loki in Avengers? I was wholly disappointed with the way Joss used him. I don't even think Joss or Tom Hiddleston understood Loki's motivations in the movie, nor what had transpired for the character since Thor. I hope that all is explained in Thor 2! Doing so would raise my esteem for the Avengers plotline significantly, actually. However, even if those were answered, I still feel like Loki was used...flimsily. Which, admittedly, is a sort of original idea for a superhero movie (to have a villain so hopelessly outgunned and outwitted and unthreatening)...but the comics Loki would have employed any number of Asgardian or Frost/Storm Giant spells and reality-manipulation to give the heroes a true challenge. I would have much rather had the team face overpowered Loki (summoning dragons, living trees, demons, Lovecraftian horrors, and enormous attack hounds and whatnot) rather than a bunch of aliens with no more depth and threat than the Battle Droids in The Phantom Menace. :)

Jan 9 - 09:01 AM

Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Ok, I never said I disliked Bale's interpretation of Batman, I just did not like the movie TDKR. Most of the characters were great (James Blake, Bane, Joker, Gordon, Alfred, Bruce/Batman). It's just the concluding installment that was too much grabbing here and there to complete all the story arcs.

I do understand what you mean by saying Ryan Reynolds should have been more suitable for Deadpool of Flash (I think Deadpool would be his "soulmate" role), but seeing him as Hal Jordan was perhaps his way of saying to the world that he isn't the same "Van Wilder-esque" actor (awesome movie btw, lol) in every role he plays. (If you saw Safehouse, you'd see what I'm trying to say, also good movie, hehe) The biggest disappointment from Green Lantern was Blake Lively, I thought she was so out place in that role and the direction she took the role. She wasn't believable and during most romance scenes, it felt a little awkward. But I don't blame Reynolds for any of the movie's fault. I thought he, Mark Strong and Peter Sarsgaard were what the movie enjoyable.

I do agree with you on the Parallax point of view, I thought he ended looking like a giant cloud, pretty much like the villain in Fantastic Four : Rise of the Silver Surfer. Hal Jordan's personality, well the way I say it, was not muted. The only reason why Hector could not be saved is because it was a case of absolutions : save Hector, Carol dies or Hector dies, save Carol.

My thoughts on Loki are that he's a great and complex character. Tom Hiddleston played this role the best way he could and I thought it was great. The emotion, the passion and the sheer sincerity in his voice and actions made Loki his own role. In Avengers, Loki's "inner conflicts" were the direct result of what happen in Thor, he still envies Thor for being the favorite and he still wants to be powerful. He uses his "silver tongue" to convince the Chutari that he will help them rule the world in exchange for that power he seeks. I think he was unnecessary for the movie, but for what they did, it worked for me.
I do agree with your Loki summoning all sorts of shit instead of Chutaris.

Jan 9 - 09:46 PM

Marlon Llano

Marlon Llano

Agujeros del diagrama:
1. ¿Cómo Bruce Wayne a volver a los Estados Unidos cuando se le rompió y no tiene nada con él.
2. ¿Cómo Bane que ya pasó el camino en América salir y luego regresar sin que nadie se diera cuenta.
3.En caso de que sabían que algo se podría convertir en una bomba de cómo la única seguridad es que es subterráneo.
4. El personaje de Joseph Gordon Levitt sabía Bruce era Batman por la mirada en su rostro.
5. Por último, porque estoy cansado de nombrar a retirarse, ¿cómo Batman escapar a tiempo para no ser vaporizado y el hecho de que la ciudad todavía se habría efectuado por las consecuencias de la bomba nuclear.
7. por que nadie sospecha que bruce es batman si ambos desaparecieron por 8 anos?

May 22 - 11:55 AM

Find us on:                 
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile