Hulk vs. The Avengers?

Summary

Could Marvel's upcoming "Avengers" movie feature a certain big green antihero as its villain? According to "Iron Man" screenwriters Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby, signs point to yes. Back to Article

Comments

Sulaco2k

Joseph McWilliams

Fantastic idea with a couple caveats.
1)Please do Hulk justice with the cgi this time around.
2)Make sure and bring back Norton, a 3rd actor in as many films is pushing it.

Oct 14 - 03:54 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Do Hulk justice with the cgi.... this time? What about the last, most recent time? That was some damn good fx. They can only go up from here.

King Thor, maybe I'm a little off on the continuity or my memory is a bit jumbled, but wasn't there a storyline where Thor broke ranks to help the rampaging Hulk? Maybe they can set up an anti-hero aspect in the Thor film, allowing for a precedent for him to later go against the ideals of the group to help the misunderstood.

However, Cap is spot on with his point: Hulk might not really need any help. He's busted them all up by himself.

And speaking of Wolverine, I'm still waiting for them to complete that crossover. We got to see Wolverine get torn in half by the Hulk, and we got a dose of his big talk after putting himself back together when he said, "You should see what I did to him after I healed."

Man, that would be sick! To see them address that story in the movies. Wolverine's Origin film will have to do well, and then Fox will have to NOT do what Sony did. *sigh* Suddenly I am filled with sadness over that prospect... Oh well. ;-)

Oct 14 - 08:41 AM

King Thor

Chris Kalmin

If I am not correct about anything in my previous post, anyone please let me know.

Matanuki and Elixor you are both absolutely right about the CGI of Hulk in the last film. It was very, very good, it looked very real and gritty. Much better than the baby smooth look of Ang Lee's Hulk.

Matanuki, as for the Thor storyline you brought up, I'm not aware of it but you could certainly be right. Although, that could be an interesting idea.

I do think that Hulk should not be portrayed as evil, but something happens when he is on a rampage and accidentally kills a bunch of people, or media/people in the movie get the story wrong (maybe Hulk was actually trying to save someone), and the Avengers have no choice but to try to take down the Hulk. Maybe later in the movie they find out Hulk is not truly evil or something, but society is turned against Hulk and this makes Hulk even madder and what not (this almost sounds like Mary Shelley's Frankenstein). Maybe this is the point where your Thor anti-hero storyline could take place, although I am not so sure that would be a good idea for Thor to be portrayed as in the movies.

Well that could be a terrible idea I just quickly wrote down, but yeah, Hulk probably should not be portrayed as evil.

Oct 14 - 01:38 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Norton would definitely not play the hulk again, or more importantly work with Marvel again I'm sure.

Oct 14 - 09:06 AM

Confounded

Matthew Bertram

Assuming all the actors stick around, (and I do feel Norton would have a great time playing a tortured hero/villain), this is the best idea I've heard yet for Avengers. Toss in a good old power struggle for the leadership between Cap (who sees right and wrong in black and white), and Stark (who would be much more sympathetic to Hulk's predicament), and I think you've got a pretty snazzy flick.

Hulk smash!

Oct 14 - 04:43 AM

Gotham-iz-Ashez

Kevin Styp

This has me even more psyched! I think that with an idea like making an Avengers movie, there are limitless ideas! That said, putting the Hulk as a villain kind of disrupts the balance of the original comics, but Letterier's right! Norton does look like he's enjoying his power at the end and the way that Stark says "you have a problem on your hands" to Ross seems like Banner has gone rogue.

All of this makes me even wonder, why not add other characters into the mix. Get Jackman to come in as Wolverine, Maguire as Spiderman, Snapes as Blade...wait what?! Haha

But seriously keep expanding! I mean, The Hulk and Iron Man made a lot of money in the Box Office, but Spiderman and the X-Men movies made a hell of a lot more! Widen the audience and you have yourselves a hell of a movie!!!

Oct 14 - 06:17 AM

King Thor

Chris Kalmin

I would love to see Wolverine in the Avengers, although I am sure that will never happen due to rights issues with studios and what not.

I do love this idea with the Hulk as the anti-hero/villian, but I'm concerned that the combined powers of Iron Man, Captain America, Ant Man, AND THOR will be too much for the Hulk to handle and doesn't seem too fair with the Hulk by himself. Maybe incorporate another villian into the mix, like one of Thor's enemies.
I mean, Thor can take out the Hulk by himself.

Oct 14 - 07:00 AM

Looselycult

Dean Peteet

I like half of this idea. The first half of the film they pursue and fight the Hulk. The second half they all band together against a common enemy. We've seen the Hulk in one film on his own where he smashes and smashes lots of different people. I think another two hour film of this could get boring and cause Hulk fatigue for a lot of people. Plus it could take a lot of the spotlight off the other characters. Marvel is so rich with different villains that surely they can find somebody who they can all fight.

Oct 14 - 06:46 AM

evanset6

Jason Bolinger

Sounds friggin great... the best Avengers story I ever read was The Ultimates Vol. 1, where they fought the Hulk... at least until the aliens showed up, so let's leave out the aliens, but fighting the Hulk is a great idea.

Oct 14 - 06:51 AM

Dark Knight jr.

Kae LaFond

I love that idea. Sounds kinda like Civil War almost to me, though..

Oct 14 - 06:57 AM

King Thor

Chris Kalmin

I mean, Thor can take out the Hulk by himself.

Oct 14 - 07:00 AM

TheCaptain of TeamLoyalty

John Webb

You would be surprised King Thor, in the recent Planet Hulk he took out almost everysingle hero by himself and the red Hulk kicked Thors ***.

Oct 14 - 08:21 AM

King Thor

Chris Kalmin

Well, that is debatable. I haven't seen this Planet Hulk though. In the Avengers cartoon movie, I saw the battle between Hulk and the Avengers. The only one who really held his own was Thor, and was beating Hulk up pretty good. The part where the Hulk picked up Thor's hammer seemed to me like nonsense because I have never, ever before heard of Hulk being able to pick up Thor's hammer (or anyone else besides Beta Ray Bill and Captain America).

The Red Hulk is NOT the Hulk. They are not the same. The Red Hulk i believe is a creation by I forget who. These are not the same Hulk. Red Hulk destroyed everything in his path, including the real Hulk, and i remember hearing something about Red Hulk breaking Hulk's arm.
When Thor fought the Red Hulk, they were in outer space, and Red Hulk was able to pick up Thor's hammer due to the weightlessness of space, and beat him.

Oct 14 - 01:22 PM

u1sart

johann hart

That idea seems pretty interesting and maybe at the end of the movie they all settle peace among all and then unite to build a powerful avengers. And it would be great after to bring in a team of villains to fight which hence, brings the Avengers Sequel.... mmmmmm, makes sense!!!

Oct 14 - 08:26 AM

Zeppelin047

Ryan Branson

i love that idea of Banner (has to be Norton) kind of enjoying his power and letting the Hulk take over his better judgement for awhile, loved Norton as Banner, cant imagine Avengers w/o him.

Oct 14 - 08:28 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Oct 14 - 08:41 AM

King Thor

Chris Kalmin

Oct 14 - 01:38 PM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

I am cautiously optimistic about this, with some big reservations. Mainly the following: In order to make Hulk a worthy villain, they're almost certainly going to have to show him killing people (by implication if not directly on screen) or placing huge numbers of people at horrible, violent risk. While I know they've done story arcs around this idea in the comics, the original point of the Hulk is that he's basically good- a 'hero'-- who does not kill the innocent. I think they do a disservice to Stan Lee's creation if they don't find a way to redeem the character at some point in this movie. That becomes MUCH harder if they have him kill people.

Having said that, they could set it up that the Avengers are misled by some evil force to try to capture/kill the hulk and by the end of the movie they form the classic Avengers team, WITH the Hulk.

ahhh. bleeding heart rant over. aaaah

Oct 14 - 08:48 AM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Oct 14 - 09:06 AM

Eldorado

Eldorado shwankers

I guess he's your best bud and told you that the other day over a couple beers?

Oct 14 - 09:16 AM

Merlin235

Merlin Ambrosius

This movie would be such a blast to watch in the theater, it blows my mind. It is something that hasn't even been attempted in film before, certainly not on this magnitude. If they could convince Sony (who might have another Spider-man film being released that summer, so they might be more convincing this time) to lend Peter/Spider-man for a cameo at least, that would be the best situation from my stand point. The X-men would be a great addition as well, but really the massive powerhouse franchise that would add the most would be Spider-man.
I think Tombstone brings up a good point, in that it would be tricky to make Hulk too bad, and then justify his presence on the Avengers later.
Whoever mentioned the friction between Cap and Iron Man is spot on. That would be a great classic interaction to witness on screen, and could add quite a bit to the story.

I would rather see this movie made, and made well, than another sequel to any superhero movie out there. In the meantime, it will be interesting to see how the Avengers storyline is addressed in the next Iron Man, since it comes out first.

Oct 14 - 09:41 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

They've gotta include the friction between Cap and Iron Man. They just gotta. It's too big in comic circles to not include. Hell, even newspapers were reporting on it when you know what happened in the end. This, by the way, was one of the reasons I was so cautious about the Iron Man at the time. For a while there, I was hating Iron Man more than ANY VILLAIN in my personal history of blissfully hating villains and their exploits. Though, it's probably one of the main reasons why they would decide to overlook it. Since there's so much controversy involved, and an untrained attempt to approach the subject matter could hurt the live action image of either Iron Man or Cap, depending, of course, on which side of the argument one finds himself on.

Spider-Man is not my favorite Marvel character, but I definitely don't agree with Hamboner's assessment. I'd love to one day see Spidey get that suit that Stark made for him. Talk about sick!

As for Hulk, people can die just as long as it is accidental and Hulk shows remorse. He could even internalize his anger and get even more out of control over his frustration with being out of control. That would be interesting. But I agree, they've gotta handle that one very carefully.

Oct 14 - 10:56 AM

Hamboner

Brian Lorenzen

Spider-Man is weak and relatively powerless. He is of little use to the Avengers.

After cutting The Hulk's running time by like an hour, I think Ed Norton would definitely be weary of putting up with this hour and a half run time BS again.

Oct 14 - 09:59 AM

Elixor

Daniel Klooster

I'm with Matanuki on the cgi. The Hulk looked great in the last movie. I'm sure it will continue to improve, but man, I don't see why there are complaints. The guy is green, huge, beyond ripped and therefore never going to look 0 realistic no-matter how good the cgi is. I'm not sure I've seen a full-blown in action (not always in the dark) organic figure done much better yet.

At some point, like the comics, you're going to probably cease seeing Banner in non-Hulk form anyways. It makes sense to have him still for the next Hulk movie and maybe the Avengers movie, but at some point that will probably get phased out. If they only had the cgi enraged Hulk in the Avengers movie, I would be fine with that and that wouldn't need Norton (even though he's great).

I like the idea of Hulk as the hero villain. An enraged Hulk is tough for any Marvel hero to handle, even a group of them in different instances.

Oct 14 - 10:29 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Oct 14 - 10:56 AM

nirvanaboy

kevin smiley

I love this idea, and bring on some more hulk. This should be a 3 hour movie like LOTR, so that the characters can be developed. I think Kevin Feige hit the nail on the head, it would be much more interesting if Hulk isn't treated as just a evil villian, but someone who the audience can be sympathic to his cause. ...Hopefully they do this, because I was starting to wonder if the Hulk was going to be left behind since it didn't make $300 million domestically last time around.

I loved the last movie, and hope this works out. Because it's a great idea.

Oct 14 - 11:04 AM

nirvanaboy

kevin smiley

MORE HULK! MORE HULK! MORE HULK!

Oct 14 - 11:07 AM

Ethan Hawke's 10 Best Movies

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Pictures of great movie apes

Gone Girl Trailer