Tomatometer Watch: The Avengers

Summary

For many, it's one of the year's most anticipated movies: Marvel's superhero epic The Avengers, the culmination of a relentless franchise building campaign that laid the groundwork with Hulk, Iron Man and last year's Thor and Captain America. Will the Joss Whedon-scripted team-up prove to be Marvel's victory lap? Back to Article

Comments

Jack Zigler

Jack Zigler

Not at all. I've always thought one of the main appeals of the comic Avengers was that they gave guys like Black Panther, Quicksilver, and Vision a chance to shine - heroes who can't really hold down an ongoing title, but work well as part of an ensemble cast. A while ago, they tried to make an Avengers lineup that included Spider-Man, Wolverine, and Luke Cage, and fans basically hated it.
It's like a rock band. Sure, the singer and guitarist can go solo easily where the lone drummer would be a novelty act, but the drummer can do enough that the singer and guitarist can't that he's handy to keep around.

Apr 21 - 12:27 AM

Anthony Cole

Anthony Cole

No it sold more than any other previous run on Avengers and it was a favorite among almost every comic fan with few exceptions. I think you are among the few that didn't like it. It held the top spot in sales for almost two years. And it's still considered the most successful run of the Avengers.

Apr 24 - 05:29 AM

Robert Hale

Robert Hale

Just to agree with with the other chap the "New Avengers" was a very successful run and very popular.

Apr 25 - 07:34 PM

Jack Zigler

Jack Zigler

Hm. A lot of the people I talked to hated it.

May 1 - 10:13 PM

John Phillip

John Phillip

Sounds the most accurate, though I don't think it will make quite that much internationally.

Apr 21 - 12:32 AM

Corr

Alexander Sciury

You're probably right. I'm not that great at picking international numbers for the Box Office, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is off.
I just saw that Iron Man 2 did a little over $300 million internationally when it came out, and since this is a mix of a bunch of Super Heroes, and the market has been expanding internationally (especially in China) I thought it would do a lot better. Although double the gross might be too much to hope for.

Apr 21 - 06:51 AM

Jason Wilkerson

Jason Wilkerson

International audiences are all about the visual when it comes to American movies. If this flick is as action packed as the early reviews are stating then I think it could pull off that much internationally.

Apr 21 - 11:03 AM

Fred Brooks

Fred Brooks

I would'nt be so sure it can't man. With the way overseas box office takes have expanded and grown over the past few years, 600 million internationally is not out the question to me. Especially with the attention and praise this film has garnered across the globe so far.

Apr 21 - 06:27 PM

Jack Zigler

Jack Zigler

I love how the article could only find ONE negative review (and, come on, 3/5 is practically a passing grade), but it makes that review take up half the quotes and devotes a whole paragraph to it. Poor girl; if she'd added on just 0.5 more, nobody would have cared, and now every review of hers will receive the response of "She didn't like Avengers!"

Apr 21 - 12:34 AM

Eric Liu

Eric Liu

The Avengers won't break 1 billion, and won't break 400 million US domestic. Only Harry Potter (4, 5 , 6 , 7a, 7b) has consistently proved immensely popular internationally. Even Iron Man (1) fell far short of 1 billion.

I think that a total for the Avengers that is realistic is somewhere near 600-700m, with a domestic box office of 280-320m.

Apr 21 - 01:47 AM

King  S.

King Simba

I think you're seriously underestimating Avengers there. The hype for this film is massive. No way it makes less than the Iron Man films. The tracking for the film has it pulling at least 150 mil opening weekend, and there's a chance that figure might increase as it nears the release date. As for internationally, at the rate the international markets have been expanding and the shear spectacle of Avengers (and spectacle sells internationally, as TF3 proved) I think it should hit 500 mil internationally with relative ease. Here's my predictions:

RT - 93% (from the reviews it seems to be sort of like the original Iron Man except with a much better climax)
OW - 160 mil
Domestic - 380 mil (even with great reviews the fanboy effect is going to be massive on this one)
Internationally - 550 mil
WW - 930 mil

Apr 21 - 10:45 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Oh, and by the way Pirates of the Carriebean and Lord of the Rings have also proven consistently popular overseas, so it's not just Potter. Heck, even the last Transformers film was massive overseas, making nearly 800 mil internationally.

Apr 21 - 10:48 AM

T45Red

Mitchell Nash

280 - 320 million? Yeah, okay. You're underestimating rather badly. I say $350 is a lock, even if the movie isn't that great. If it IS great, I'm sure it could get $370 - $390 million. If has an uphill battle as superhero/comic book movies have been shrinking in terms of box office gross.

Apr 21 - 04:21 PM

Fred Brooks

Fred Brooks

I'm not sure what "The Avengers" final box office take will end up being, what i am sure of is it will make more than 280 million in the US, most likely a lot more. I have a feeling it will have 280 by it's second weekend. If im wrong i'll be the first one to admit it, i just think this film is going to be a juggernaut in my opinion.

Apr 21 - 06:35 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

You're applying the logic that this is going to follow first in a series model which it won't. That's the real genius of what Marvel did. This is not just going to be like a sequel to a well received movie. It's going to be like a sequel to 5 well received movies.

Apr 22 - 04:45 PM

Ananda Johnson

Ananda Johnson

Looking good, from the reviews i'm guessing it was not shit like people thought it would be.

Apr 21 - 02:42 AM

MANBAT

Meh McMehson

People thought it would be bad?

News to me.

Apr 21 - 07:06 AM

scifimark

scifi mark

maybe not bad but difficult to pull that many protagonists into 1 coherent film. I thought it was a mistake to actually make this movie but it seems they have pulled it off

Apr 21 - 08:32 PM

Luvagoo

Tallulah Robinson

Ditto. But even then, Dollhouse still wasn't bad. And the concept was fantastic, which was all Joss.

Apr 21 - 02:48 AM

Luvagoo

Tallulah Robinson

Ha, I thought that too at first. But what she's actually saying is kinda interesting and possibly valid.

But, at the same time, seriously, where the hell else would the climax of the Avengers be but razing NYC? ;D

Apr 21 - 02:51 AM

Luvagoo

Tallulah Robinson

25th here in Australia ;D

Apr 21 - 02:53 AM

scifimark

scifi mark

it isnt just the tomatometer score. Ive never really look at that as a great indicator since its really just a pass/fail score anyways. The reviews are very strong not just that the movie is above average. I say the movie finishes over 90 percent. i might say mid 90's but you have to allow for the critics that desperately need hits to their websites

Apr 21 - 04:13 AM

IrreducibleKoan

Sean Pak

This is true. It isn't the 96% that impresses me (other movies have started that high only to go down to mid-80s). It's the 8.3/10 that makes me excited.

Apr 21 - 06:37 AM

My Prediction!!!
Tomatometer: 90% (CF)
Opening Day Gross: $64 million
Opening Weekend Gross: $162 million
Final U.S. Gross: $430 million
Final International Gross: $800 million
Worldwide Gross: $1.23 billion
Rank in Top 50 Highest Grossing Films of all Time (inflation not adjusted): 5th/6th

Apr 21 - 05:27 AM

IrreducibleKoan

Sean Pak

Apr 21 - 06:37 AM

Corr

Alexander Sciury

Apr 21 - 06:51 AM

MANBAT

Meh McMehson

People thought it would be bad?

News to me.

Apr 21 - 07:06 AM

scifimark

scifi mark

Apr 21 - 08:32 PM

Greg Karras

Greg Karras

What's with the Bosch reference? It seems a pretentious attempt to show that her understanding of art, and, by extension, cinema, is somehow deeper than the average moviegoer's. I hate when reviews become vehicles to highlight the author's staggering intellect. Please save the condescension.

Apr 21 - 07:36 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Like using a Zuni Fetish Doll as your avatar to highlight your staggering cult cred, and your deeper understanding of semi-obscure horror films. Does Bosch show any deeper understanding of art than Escher or Dali, because they all tend to be standard-issue posters in your average college dorm. Most people just think they look cool. Her use of Bosch in connection with the Avengers is misplaced, as if Del Toro were making it or something. But most people crying 'pretention' are usually just as intellectually insecure as those straining to make such 'high-brow' connections.

Apr 21 - 11:26 AM

Greg Karras

Greg Karras

Jeez, I didn't know you could tell so much about someone from his avatar. For the record, I watched Trilogy of Terror years ago when I was in grade school and it scared the hell out of me. I've had a special affection for that character ever since. That's why I chose that image, no more, no less. I watch very few horror flicks and make no claims to any cult cred whatsoever, staggering or otherwise.

I agree--using Bosch doesn't show a deeper understanding of art than Escher or Dali, who, as you pointed out, still enjoy considerable recognition throughout college dorms. As Bosch's art rarely appears in the mass market, it's fair to say that Bosch is more obscure than they are, which brings me to my point:

Simply put, a movie critic's primary goal is to communicate a point of view to the public. Making a reference to a 15th Century Dutch painter, a reference that will probably be lost on 90% or more of the readers, seems futile. So why make such a reference unless it's to showcase one's superior intellect or understanding? Hence, I thought the use of the word pretentious was justified.

Strangely, you agreed with me, at least in part, by saying "her use of Bosch in connection with the Avengers is misplaced." Of course your reasons for reaching the same conclusion are deeper than mine and show your superior understanding of cinema.

Likewise, you mentioned that "most people crying 'pretention' are usually just as intellectually insecure as those straining to make such 'high-brow' connections." I would further add that anyone who spends time micro analyzing someone's avatar and creating a very specific psychological profile to defend his point of view is equally insecure. Perhaps you were just talking about yourself.

Apr 23 - 08:20 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

My point of view is merely that Amy Nicholson's review was 3 out of 5 stars, hardly a bad review, and that people need to show some perspective when trying to trash a critic who doesn't feel as enthusiastic about their favorite film as they'd like. I admit, rather than being personal, that I took the opportunity to use your comment to make a more general point on that. By the way, I haven't yet had anyone identify my own avatar. It isn't that hard, but it would be interesting if it happened.

Apr 23 - 11:35 PM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

Haha. I'm embarrassed to say that although I used to be a guide at the Auckland Art Gallery, I could only recognize your avatar as an etching. Nothing more.

I felt like an idiot when I took a closer look at the Mackelvie Trust homepage and saw the Jacques Callot collection. Truly humbling to realize how much I have forgotten and left behind.

Apr 24 - 04:48 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

;) I thought the original tag, including the name, would still be on the jpeg, but I guess RT retags all the pictures used in the site. It's the Burlesque Violinist from Callot's Varie Figure Gobbi. Is that pretentious? I should apologise for having extraordinary interests.

Apr 24 - 01:09 PM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

Haha. Definitely not, Janson. Having a love and appreciation for art history can hardly be a justified reason for calling another person pretentious.

Wholeheartedly agree with what you and the many others have posted. Her reference was certainly misplaced. Expecting Joss to deliver Bosch-on-film during his second directorial outing was a stretch to say the very least.

Apr 24 - 05:24 PM

Richard Gonzalez

Richard Gonzalez

Final Tomatometer: 90%
Debut U.S. gross: $165M.+
Final gross: $450M.+
foreign total gross: $600M +
Total gross: $1.5B

Apr 21 - 07:52 AM

Ussama Sajid

Ussama Sajid

Lets see how it goes against The dark knight rises

Apr 21 - 07:57 AM

Marcus Ciubal

I guess TDKR will win this year's top spot. followed by this or the hobbit 1...

Apr 21 - 08:09 AM

John Nichols

John Nichols

judging off the lord of the rings, and looking at all the movies leading up to the avengers, and the previous two batman movies by nolan, lord of the rings pulled in the most cash internationally, so i would assume the same of the hobbit, i see it this way, dark knight rises leads the domestic box office for the year, followed by either avengers or hobbit, or neither of them, hunger games is still in the mix, but hobbit wins internationally by a landslide, and will be the highest grossing worldwide, i think

Apr 21 - 08:37 AM

Marcus Ciubal

You have a point. This year, the top spot is between this 2 epic movies. Who knows, domestic gross will be overwhelming for TDKR, and the ads overseas are more evident than its predecessor. As for The hobbit, i hope the global charm is still there. I'm expecting 3 'billion dollar' films, but breaking dawn is a potential.

Apr 21 - 09:01 AM

Marcus Ciubal

I guess TDKR will win this year's top spot. followed by this or the hobbit 1...

Apr 21 - 08:09 AM

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Check out Boardwalk Empire

Historical TV Shows
Historical TV Shows

40 TV depictions of past eras

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer