Tomatometer Watch: The Avengers

Will Marvel's superhero tag-team assemble a Certified Fresh?

The Avengers

92%

For many, it's one of the year's most anticipated movies: Marvel's superhero epic The Avengers, the culmination of a relentless franchise building campaign that laid the groundwork with Hulk, Iron Man and last year's Thor and Captain America. Will the Joss Whedon-scripted team-up prove to be Marvel's victory lap?
While the film doesn't open 'til May 4 in the US, international Avengers fans get to see their heroes a week earlier -- and there are plenty of reviews coming in. If early buzz is any indication, this one's likely to go down as one of the best critically-reviewed comic book films ever.

Empire magazine's James White calls it "A joyous blend of heroism and humour that raises the stakes even as it maintains a firm grip on what makes the individual heroes tick," while for Leigh Paatsch, writing at Australia's Daily Telegraph, it's a "truly epic action picture [that] positively pulses with panache, wit and excitement throughout."

The Guardian's Henry Barnes is also impressed, noting -- for the non-fanboy element -- that the movie "carries the mark of a piece of expensively assembled fan fiction, albeit stitched together with a lightness and wit that will just about carry the casual viewer through two-and-a-half-hours of comic geek nirvana."

Todd McCarthy concurs over at The Hollywood Reporter: "Whedon pulls off a stunning feat in bringing balance to this superhuman circus, engineered to charm the geek core and non-fans alike." Meanwhile, Variety's Justin Chang writes: "Like a superior, state-of-the-art model built from reconstituted parts, Joss Whedon's buoyant, witty and robustly entertaining superhero smash-up is escapism of a sophisticated order."

Not everyone will succumb to Marvel's juggernaut, however, as Amy Nicholson illustrates at Box Office Magazine. "The Avengers needs more ambition," she writes. "Prehistoric metal monsters smashing up skyscrapers? We've seen that before. For Avengers 2 (because there will inevitably be an Avengers 2) ask not what Michael Bay would do to New York -- ask what Hieronymus Bosch would do to anywhere he damn well pleased." A Bosch-fueled epic? Genius. That we'd definitely pay to see.

The Avengers is out in theaters on May 4.

Comments

John Byte

John Byte

Bosch?

I don't think the Avengers needs religion as a major plot device.

Apr 20 - 01:42 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Weak. I don't think she was alluding to the religious aspect of Bosch so much as the visual originality and aesthetic of his artwork. These Dawkin trolls never fail to start an irrelevent thread.

Apr 20 - 01:56 PM

Ali Almonte

Ali Almonte

Owned

Apr 20 - 08:19 PM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

I guess one could argue that just like Bosch's many works, her reference, however clever it may be, could be open to a number of interpretations.

That being said, I still believe that you are absolutely, 100% correct, Janson.

Apr 22 - 02:33 AM

dsence

Daryl martin

What's a Dawkin troll?

Apr 22 - 05:25 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Someone who deletes comments they don't agree with.

Apr 23 - 11:21 PM

David Vazquez

David Vazquez

Trying to separate religion from a Bosch painting would be like trying to remove string instruments from a Mozart symphony.

Apr 24 - 11:44 AM

Janson Jinnistan

The comparison was related to style and form, not subject matter.

Apr 24 - 12:56 PM

Fact B.

Fact Based

Avengers already does have religion as a major plot device. Thor and Loki are Norse gods.

Apr 22 - 10:29 AM

Janson Jinnistan

HA! At first, I thought you were going to make a joke about all the Joss Whedon reverence, or even that special sanctity of Marvel reverence. But good call!

Apr 22 - 03:55 PM

David Vazquez

David Vazquez

I have never read a comic book so I don't know the Marvel story at all. I watched "Thor" with the expectation, perhaps stupidly, that it would have something to do with the actual Norse myths. Was disappointed when it didn't. Would be nice to see a movie that had to do with the myths, not comic books.

Apr 24 - 11:46 AM

Nude0007

Paul Entrekin

What were you expecting? A full explanation of the minutest detail of norse mythology? BTW, Thor was Marvel's take on norse mythology. If you had ever read the comics, you would notice it encompasses it quite a bit, just don't expect a movie to go through all the where's and whyfores. They explained enough at the beginning, and went with a story.

Apr 25 - 07:02 AM

Nude0007

Paul Entrekin

Apr 25 - 07:02 AM

Laurent S.

Laurent S.

Well, initially the comic book characters are the norse gods. I really think the god aspect has been toned down to aliens to avoid american christian integrists uproar and an easier blend with Iron Man, Hulk and Captain America whose origins are in science.
Even season 2 of the Avengers cartoon has stripped Thor of his godhood ; he's now called "Prince of Thunder".

Apr 28 - 04:02 AM

Bengy Lam

Bengy Lam

Well technically, there are gods.

Apr 23 - 12:51 AM

JeetKuneDo

Wyatt Holland

You mean Joss Whedon? ;)

Apr 29 - 01:25 PM

manwithoutfear19

Daniel Raimondi

isnt joss wheddon atheist?

Apr 23 - 08:45 PM

Apr 20 - 01:56 PM

Ali Almonte

Ali Almonte

Owned

Apr 20 - 08:19 PM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

That being said, I still believe that you are absolutely, 100% correct, Janson.

Apr 22 - 02:33 AM

dsence

Daryl martin

What's a Dawkin troll?

Apr 22 - 05:25 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Someone who deletes comments they don't agree with.

Apr 23 - 11:21 PM

David Vazquez

David Vazquez

Apr 24 - 11:44 AM

Janson Jinnistan

The comparison was related to style and form, not subject matter.

Apr 24 - 12:56 PM

John Nichols

John Nichols

avengers will be one of the best movies of the year, along with the dark knight rises, and the hobbit

Apr 20 - 02:17 PM

Projected Realities

Erik Hitechew

Agreed on all counts!

Apr 21 - 07:26 PM

John Nichols

John Nichols

glad someone agrees with me, and all three of them should be box office powerhouses, i think dark knight rises will lead domestic, followed by either avengers or the hobbit, or even hunger games, but internationally, when you take into account that the lord of the rings, did better internationally, than both of the previous nolan batman movies, and all of the movies leading up to the avengers, i would say the hobbit would be the victor in foreign countries

Apr 21 - 09:03 PM

atthemovies

Paul Arnold

I'd like to add Prometheus to the best movies of this year!

Apr 22 - 08:38 PM

Ed Gaiger

Ed Gaiger

totally agree, Prometheus looks amazing!

Apr 23 - 12:12 AM

John Nichols

John Nichols

yes, thank you for adding prometheus, totally forgot about that, lol

Apr 23 - 07:34 AM

Omar Santana

Omar Santana

yup! Avengers, Dark Knight Rises, Prometheus & Hobbit. thats our 2012 right there! :)

Apr 25 - 12:24 PM

Mela Minx

Mela Minx

Yes!! I think Your a cinematic genius and I couldn't have put it any better lol Im soooo Team Avengers and Dark Knight Rises!! ( I can't lie Im excited for GI Joe 2 and MIB 3 as well --People totally forgot about them im sure lol) But anyway AVENGERS!! omg I can't wait till Thursday :-(

Apr 27 - 04:41 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

I'd like to as well, however since Gladiator...which was awesome..Ridley Scott has not been up to his potential, he is much better doing sci-fi/fantasy.

Apr 25 - 03:34 AM

Premo Beat

John Noto

forgot Django

Apr 23 - 11:21 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Not Spam. Django is among the top five most anticipated films this year.

Apr 23 - 11:22 PM

Roger Morin

Roger Morin

what about spiderman????

Apr 24 - 10:07 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

Theres really no question in my mind that Joss will deliver, he has never failed me yet (though I must admit I wasnt that hot on Dollhouse)

Apr 20 - 02:23 PM

Luvagoo

Tallulah Robinson

Ditto. But even then, Dollhouse still wasn't bad. And the concept was fantastic, which was all Joss.

Apr 21 - 02:48 AM

Jason Wilkerson

Dollhouse got screwed over by Fox who thought audiences were too stupid to get Whedon's original vision. They made him reshoot the pilot so it would be more accessible, just like they didn't air the original Firefly pilot because they didn't think it had enough action in it. I have Dollhouse on DVD and if they would have let Whedon do what he wanted from the beginning it would have done much better.

Apr 21 - 10:58 AM

Kyle Maxwell

Kyle Maxwell

Uh, apparently you've forgotten all about "Alien: Resurrection, Titan A.E., and the insufferably stupid "Serenity". And yes, it was in fact insufferably stupid. The entire plot revolved around Mal and the gang trying to find the one man in the universe with a YouTube account.

Apr 21 - 02:22 PM

Ricky Rodriguez

Ricky Rodriguez

interestingly, I liked all of these films you mention... although of the bunch Titan A.E. is probably the weakest. As for Serenity... to each his own. It is one of my favorite films... "insufferably stupid" plot and all.

Apr 21 - 06:02 PM

Nude0007

Paul Entrekin

Your comment just show s how little you grasped of the movie. They had to find the one man who could output their message to everyone in the universe at once, so there would be no chance it could be covered up or blocked.
The movie is sheer genius the way it ties in the Reavers to everything else, and how it ties to River's dilemma, and everything that has affected the entire galaxy for the last hundred years or so. Add to that the stunning and most true to life scenes of space ever filmed, it is easily the best sci-fi movie ever made, possibly short of the extremely picturesque and spiritual Avatar.

Apr 25 - 07:20 AM

Matt Jordan

Matt Jordan

I don't where you were made the end all be all of Joss Whedon movies. To say that Anything he did was "in fact" insufferable? I loved Serenity, and Resurrection. Titan I will give you. You are entitled toy our own opinion, no matter how wrong it is. I for one am not worried about The Avengers, i trust in the almighty Joss and i am confident he will deliver.

Apr 21 - 06:37 PM

Jason Wilkerson

I haven't seen Titan A.E., but looking on IMDb there are three writers who share screenwriting credits and three directors that share directing credit, I don't think any faults in that film could be laid purely on Whedon's shoulders. It should be noted that he did not direct Alien: Resurrection and he has noted that it was directed in a different manner than he intended when he wrote the screenplay. I think for anyone to say that Serenity is insufferable they're being shortsighted at best. Personally, I loved it though and thought it still maintained the high quality of the series. I think you're just trying to hate just for the sake of hating.

Apr 21 - 07:21 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

I must have been one of the few who actually liked Alien Ressurection.

Apr 25 - 03:36 AM

Jason Wilkerson

I will admit there is one thing I will never forgive Whedon for: writing one of the worst lines of dialogue in cinematic history. He did a rewrite on the first X-Men film when the studio at one point wanted him to direct. At least one line in the finished film is definitely his, and it's the exchange between Storm and Toad: "Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing that happens to everything else." Horrible HORRIBLE line...

Apr 21 - 07:31 PM

Audrey Brockhaus

Audrey Brockhaus

It has been said that what made that line horrible was Halle Berry's delivery. He wrote the line to be very light and was meant to be more like "Hmm, I wonder what happens when a toad is truck by lighting." "Oh, I see. the same thing that happens to everything else." It wasn't meant to be delivered like stiff humorless intimidation the way Berry did it.

Apr 22 - 09:22 AM

Jason Wilkerson

That actually makes sense then. I'll forgive him then, and I will never forgive Halle Berry!

Apr 22 - 03:05 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Really? Forgive the writer of the damn line but don't forgive the actress. Feh!! You gotta have quite the imagination if you can vision that line being delivered in a way that somehow makes it better.

Apr 23 - 04:09 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Yeah that was an awful line, it really stood out because I remember it now that you said it. I don't think the way it's said could make it better.

Apr 25 - 03:39 AM

Jason Wilkerson

I can envision it if it had been said more like (and this will be hard to say online): "Hmm, (to self) I wonder what happens with a Toad gets struck by lightning?" zaps Toad. "Oh, the same thing that happens to everything else." I think if it had that kind of snark it would work a lot better, and if that's what he's going for it's not his fault that the line went to crap on the screen.

Apr 25 - 06:46 PM

Jasper Hoffs

Jasper Hoffs

Oh my God dude. That is hilarious! You're totally right. I forgot about that. That's really funny. X men first class was the best movie in the series so far. Avengers will probably be pretty good but not great. 90% chance it will better than fantastic four.

Apr 26 - 12:25 AM

Felix Pena

Felix Pena

There are no horrible lines. Only horrible actresses. Who have an Academy Award.... and a Razzie.

Apr 26 - 01:00 AM

Luvagoo

Tallulah Robinson

Joss Whedon *hated* that Alien movie apparently. They took his original screenplay and completely screwed it over.

And I have no idea what you're talking about with Serenity. I don't mean your different opinion (I love the movie but it had its issues in regard to the fact it wasn't as good as the show), I mean I really don't know what you're trying to say...youtube, what?

Apr 22 - 05:42 PM

Felix Pena

Felix Pena

Joss wasn't the only writer on Titan A.E. and as far as Alien Resurrection goes, what was he supposed to do? They wanted another movie, but they killed off all of the best characters in the previous two movies. Also, can you imagine how much studio input the guy had to navigate to write the thing? Also, Serenity was awesome. 82% Tomatometer.

Apr 26 - 12:58 AM

Viktor Hoffmann

Viktor Hoffmann

From the Imdb Trivia:

Director Pierre Jeunet was given license to change the script as much as he wanted, and the final film is substantially different than Joss Whedon's original script. Characters and situations were merged, simplified or removed, and the overall tone was made more fanciful and less realistic. Things changed or removed include: An Asian assassin called St. Just (pronounced "San-Jhoost") was original part of the Betty's crew. Johner was described as being more of a crazy, psychopathic character. After the underwater sequence, the characters were then forced to climb up a 50 story lift-shaft, with aliens attacking them. After the Chapel scene, there was an action sequence in the ship's "farm", including a moment were the crew discovers the army has been growing cannabis. The Newborn alien was originally extremely deadly, the size of a Queen alien, and there was little emotional connection between it and Ripley. The final action sequence took place on Earth, ending with the surviving characters (including Ripley) deciding to stick together.

Joss Whedon was unhappy with everything about the film. He later commented in 2005: "It wasn't a question of doing everything differently, although they changed the ending; it was mostly a matter of doing everything wrong. They said the lines but they said them all wrong. And they cast it wrong. And they designed it wrong. And they scored it wrong. They did everything wrong they could possibly do. That's actually a fascinating lesson in filmmaking. Because everything they did reflects back to the script or looks like something from it. And people assume that if I hated it then they'd changed the script...but it wasn't so much they changed it, they executed it in such a ghastly fashion they rendered it unwatchable.

Apr 29 - 12:36 PM

Lenny M.

Lenny Monroe

Is it also weird for me to say that I really dn't care for the big-name superheroes in this film? I'm actually more interested in Samuel mutherfucking Jackson's Nick Fury and Jeremy Renner's Clint Barton over Thor and Iron Man. And Captain America is okay too.

Apr 20 - 03:21 PM

Lenny M.

Lenny Monroe

And another thing, I'm curious to see Robert Downey Jr. and Mark Ruffalo in the same movie again. I loved them both in one of my all time favorite classic movies, Zodiac. Interested to see what they do here...

Apr 20 - 03:32 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Zodiac bored the shit out of me.

Apr 25 - 03:41 AM

Gabriella Santanna

Gabriella Santanna

haha Me too. Zodiac seemed endless! But Robert and Mark are great in this movie, like the two smartest guys on the team, and Robert teasing him about his problem with being angry. There's a funny moment (if you didn't watch the movie, read if you want, it's no big deal) when Tony Stark meets Bruce Banner and he says "Finally someone who speaks English!

Apr 29 - 06:22 PM

Jack Zigler

Jack Zigler

Not at all. I've always thought one of the main appeals of the comic Avengers was that they gave guys like Black Panther, Quicksilver, and Vision a chance to shine - heroes who can't really hold down an ongoing title, but work well as part of an ensemble cast. A while ago, they tried to make an Avengers lineup that included Spider-Man, Wolverine, and Luke Cage, and fans basically hated it.
It's like a rock band. Sure, the singer and guitarist can go solo easily where the lone drummer would be a novelty act, but the drummer can do enough that the singer and guitarist can't that he's handy to keep around.

Apr 21 - 12:27 AM

Anthony Cole

Anthony Cole

No it sold more than any other previous run on Avengers and it was a favorite among almost every comic fan with few exceptions. I think you are among the few that didn't like it. It held the top spot in sales for almost two years. And it's still considered the most successful run of the Avengers.

Apr 24 - 05:29 AM

Robert Hale

Robert Hale

Just to agree with with the other chap the "New Avengers" was a very successful run and very popular.

Apr 25 - 07:34 PM

Jack Zigler

Jack Zigler

Hm. A lot of the people I talked to hated it.

May 1 - 10:13 PM

Sam Raffield

Sam Raffield

Amy Nicholson is a pretentious moron. And she actually compared a talent like Joss Whedon to the hack of Michael Bay? Automatic disqualification RIGHT THERE.

Apr 20 - 03:28 PM

Luvagoo

Tallulah Robinson

Ha, I thought that too at first. But what she's actually saying is kinda interesting and possibly valid.

But, at the same time, seriously, where the hell else would the climax of the Avengers be but razing NYC? ;D

Apr 21 - 02:51 AM

Lenny M.

Lenny Monroe

Apr 20 - 03:32 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Zodiac bored the shit out of me.

Apr 25 - 03:41 AM

Gabriella Santanna

Gabriella Santanna

Apr 29 - 06:22 PM

Mate M.

Mate Milić

How can someone be a critic and then compare Joss Whedon with Michael Bay.
Final Tomatometer: 86%
Debut U.S. Gross: 162.5M
Final U.S. Gross: 432M
Foreign Total Gross: 645M
Final Gross: 1077M

Apr 20 - 03:48 PM

Nude0007

Paul Entrekin

agreed! Michael Bay can screw anything up.

Apr 25 - 07:26 AM

James Osibogun

James Osibogun

can't wait! i just want to wolverine, spiderman,and black panther in future movies. like george perez joss whedon can deliver!

Apr 20 - 04:32 PM

Nathaniel Seaberry

Nathaniel Seaberry

Man Wolverine and Spiderman would be cool but sadly Fox is still Fucking the Wolverine name and Sony is doing another trilogy on Spiderman but Black Panther I think may make part 2 cause I'm pretty sure one of their 2014 movies will be Blak Panther!

Apr 20 - 10:46 PM

Corr

Alexander Sciury

Final Meter: 88%
First weekend gross: $160 million
Final Domestic Gross: 375 million.
Final Foreign Gross: $600 million

Apr 20 - 04:32 PM

Akshay Mathur

Akshay Mathur

Final Tomatometer - 92%
Box office wknd- $165M. +
Final Gross- $420-440M.
Foreign Gross $600M.+
Total Gross-$1.2B.

Apr 20 - 11:17 PM

John Phillip

John Phillip

Sounds the most accurate, though I don't think it will make quite that much internationally.

Apr 21 - 12:32 AM

Corr

Alexander Sciury

You're probably right. I'm not that great at picking international numbers for the Box Office, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is off.
I just saw that Iron Man 2 did a little over $300 million internationally when it came out, and since this is a mix of a bunch of Super Heroes, and the market has been expanding internationally (especially in China) I thought it would do a lot better. Although double the gross might be too much to hope for.

Apr 21 - 06:51 AM

Jason Wilkerson

International audiences are all about the visual when it comes to American movies. If this flick is as action packed as the early reviews are stating then I think it could pull off that much internationally.

Apr 21 - 11:03 AM

Fred Brooks

Fred Brooks

I would'nt be so sure it can't man. With the way overseas box office takes have expanded and grown over the past few years, 600 million internationally is not out the question to me. Especially with the attention and praise this film has garnered across the globe so far.

Apr 21 - 06:27 PM

John Doysabas

John Doysabas

this is awesome, i knew it this is gonna be hot..

Apr 20 - 05:05 PM

Fred Brooks

Fred Brooks

I don't know, i think "The Avengers" will end up over 90% on RT, we'll just have to wait and see. I think if this juggernaut keeps building up to a frenzy, "The Avengers" could possibly hit 200 million it's oepning weekend, i'm really starting to believe it has a chance at that number. I would'nt shoot down "TASM" so fast, i seem to remember not so long ago people saying "The Avengers" was just gonna be some kinda "Transformers" clone, big bang action and no story line or plot and lot of hot air. Fast forward to the present, nobody is saying that shit now are they, i'm just saying.

Apr 20 - 05:37 PM

zinc alloy

zinc alloy

I think the Avengers film is gonna be some kind of Transformer clone with no story line, plot...just all action and hot air....

Apr 21 - 03:20 PM

Fred Brooks

Fred Brooks

Haha, i see have a comedian here.

Apr 21 - 06:17 PM

Jimmy G.

Jimmy Gee

No--your'e confusing the Avengers with Battleship.

Apr 23 - 08:42 AM

zinc alloy

zinc alloy

I was joking...read the first post....

Apr 23 - 12:54 PM