Critics Consensus: Marvel's The Avengers Is Certified Fresh

Summary

The summer blockbuster season starts this weekend. Marvel's The Avengers, the hotly-anticipated superhero-fest starring Robert Downey Jr., Scarlett Johansson, and Samuel L. Jackson, soars into multiplexes Friday, finally providing comic book fans with the opportunity to witness Iron Man, Captain America, the Incredible Hulk, Thor, and Black Widow team up to protect the world from evil. Over the past decade, Marvel Comics heroes like the Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America have each starred in their own films. And each individual installment offered tantalizing hints of a monumental big screen superhero gathering. Well, comic book fans, the wait is over, and it was worth it. Back to Article

Comments

Dave J

Dave J

People are going to see 'The Avengers' in droves but I still don't think it's going to beat The Dark Knight Returns boxoffice returns!

May 3 - 04:46 PM

Fred Brooks

I think it will, it's too much anticipation and excitement behind the film. Plus the reviews are glowing, that was the one thing that could have kept this film from potentially breaking records. Obviously this type of film is critic proof, it was destined to make a lot of money whether critics loved it or hated it. But with critics loving it, i think it's gonna have strong legs and last longer. Depending on how much "Avengers" makes, "TDKR" could come back and top it. If "Avengers" opens around 160-170 million, "TDKR" can possibly beat it, but if it opens up with 200 million or more, forget it, it's a wrap.

May 3 - 08:16 PM

Dave J

I can see this film making more than 400 million in North America and 700 million overseas, but that's probably it!

May 4 - 02:42 PM

TheAnimatorRator

Megan Gierasch

200 mil US domestic box office total. Ho-ly-Shit.

May 6 - 09:08 AM

Fred Brooks

Nah, i don't think so friend, not with 200 million already in the bank this weekend, i think you know better than that now."The Avengers" will either hit 400 million by next sunday, or be awfully close to it. It's already at 441 miilion internationally, and i don't think China's opening numbers have even been reported yet, plus it still opens in Japan in August. I believe it can hit 1 billion internationally alone, without even counting it's US grosses. I think it's one thing we can all agree on though, this film is shaping up to be a monster at the box office.

May 6 - 11:47 AM

Fred Brooks

Considering this is only "The Avengers" opening week, it's too early for me tell where it might end domestically, but i will have a better feel how high i think it can reach by next weekend. What kind of legs this film shows, meaning repeat viewings, later viewers and strong word of mouth, will go a long way in deteriming it's potential box office take.

May 6 - 12:01 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Saying it's not going to beat The Dark Knight Rises' box office total is about as faint damnation as saying it's not going to be as epic as LOTR.

Besides, there's actually a good chance for The Avengers to score the biggest opening weekend record of the summer. It topped the fandango's list for most anticipated film of the summer, while the marketing has been much stronger than that of TDKR. Granted, a lot of that has to do with Nolan's determination to keep as much secret as possible, but while the film is definitely going to be huge (it is the sequel to TDK after all), that secrecy may prevent it from getting the extra boost it needs to break the opening weekend record. I think Avengers will score the bigger opening weekend. However, even with great reviews it's going to be hard for it to avoid collapsing given the massive fanboy hype. TDKR will have the same problem, though given that Nolan's films typically demand repeat reviewing I don't think it'll be as severe. That is, assuming it's as good as the previous two Batman films. Basically, in final totals, it'll most likely be a toss up between the two.

May 3 - 11:18 PM

Fred Brooks

I agree with you, obviously both "The Avengers" & "The Dark Knight Rises" will be huge hits at the box office. We'll get an early glimpse of how big for "The Avengers" by friday evening. "HP8" & "Hunger Games" both did huge numbers on friday recently, if "Avengers" meets or surpasses those totals, look out. This summer has the potential to really be special with "Avengers","TASM","Prometheus","TDKR" and other anticipated films.

May 4 - 02:51 AM

Lenny M.

Lenny Monroe

The Avengers will gross more than The Dark Knight Rises...

Because of the 3D surcharge

May 4 - 06:04 AM

Fred Brooks

You could be right, the 3D surcharges can really give a big film like "The Avengers" a big boost in it's box office grossings.

May 4 - 10:33 AM

Dave J

Also, how do you know that the next Dark Knight movie isn't going to get the 3D surcharge!

May 4 - 01:00 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Nolan confirmed quite a while ago that TDKR isn't going to be in 3-d, and Warner Bros. is going to want to keep a good relation with the guy who has earned them so far a combined total of over 2 bil WW from his movies, so I doubt they'll convert it behind his back.

May 4 - 10:58 PM

Dave J

Oops, I meant "The Dark Knight" with Heth Ledger of over 500 million in North America!

May 4 - 12:24 PM

Lukas Sotolongo

Lukas Sotolongo

dark knight rises not returns

May 4 - 03:48 AM

Dave J

Oops, I meant "The Dark Knight" with Heth Ledger of over 500 million!

May 4 - 12:23 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

The Dark Knight Rises you mean. The only reason I'm correcting you is because WOW The Dark Knight Returns movie by Christopher Nolan would be freaking Awesome!

May 5 - 09:58 AM

Odd E.

Odd Even

Saw it today. Very good movie. Looking forward to the sequel

May 5 - 02:10 PM

Allen Henry

Allen Henry

None of the Batman movies have really had that "makes you want to cheer" moment. The Avengers (unless somebody really pulls a rabbit out of their hat) is going to kick the snot out of the Dark Knight Rises. You expect the Batman franchise (now) to be exciting, dark and somewhat depressing. Christian Bale doesn't evoke "Hero worship".......the best thing in the movie will be Ann Hathaway in spandex. The Bane character is even too small to be Bane.

May 6 - 11:23 AM

Hamza A.

Hamza Ansari

Rises*

May 6 - 01:57 PM

Superzone

Link O'Fett

So. Damn. Excited to see The Avengers at midnight tonight. My body is ready.

May 3 - 05:08 PM

Lupita Monroy Soto

Lupita Monroy Soto

@Superzone you lucky, but it's a fake 3D movie :/

May 3 - 05:12 PM

Kurtiss Keefner

Kurtiss Keefner

Even with the after effects the 3-D is some of the best I have ever seen. The way the film was shot, the 3-D just adds to the immersion. Definitely recommend a 3-D viewing over 2-D. Though if you have the option IMAX is the way to go!

May 4 - 12:35 AM

David Gilmer

David Gilmer

yeah all the 3D does in Avengers is just enhance the film, not do gimmicky things to distract you.

May 4 - 09:39 PM

Robert Hale

Robert Hale

Agreed, some of the smoothest post conversion done, better than the job in Thor and Captain America.

If you don't like 3-d or are pinching pennies (Presumably to see it again!) skip the 3-d but for those of us who don't mind it, spend the extra 3 bucks! you are only helping more movies like this to be made after all.

May 5 - 09:29 PM

Superzone

Link O'Fett

Saw it in 2D actually. And it was awesome :D

May 4 - 01:26 AM

Russ Little

Russ Little

I saw it in 3D, and the effects were ok, but they guy that said some of it's effect topped Avatar must not have seen the same movie I did. I would have been perfectly happy watching this one without the glasses, Avatar on the other hand is just not the same movie.

May 4 - 09:58 AM

Dave J

I think the reason why you say this is that the difference here is that Cameron is definately no rookie at applying 3D whereas the director of "The Avengers" by the name of Joss Whedon probably never done a 3D movie before, and by looking at his record- he also has a tendacy to recycle what he sees from other films- this is by what some of the negative critisms said about his last film "Cabin In The Woods"!

May 4 - 02:58 PM

Stace S.

Stace Smith

I agree whole heartedly. Although top to bottom Avengers delivers. It definitely brings out the kid inside of you and leaves you grinning for hours afterward. Enjoy everyone! ;)

May 4 - 03:54 PM

Epic Barney Funk

Barney Funk

Who needs 3D? I mean really!

May 5 - 11:44 AM

Odd E.

Odd Even

Same here and it was very good.

May 5 - 02:12 PM

David Gilmer

David Gilmer

me too. i saw avengers in 2D and it played out like a 2D film minus only 1 or 2 gimmicky 3D shots.

May 5 - 05:49 PM

May 4 - 09:39 PM

Robert Hale

Robert Hale

May 5 - 09:29 PM

Rebeccachu Elizabeth C.

Rebecca Clark

YAY!!!! I'm very glad that Marvel's The Avengers got a "Amazing" 92% "Fresh" Tomatometer score and a Certified Fresh to boot! :D

I may just go see it! xD

Not to mention that parents will also take their kids -- The ones most attracted to these kind of movies are kids ages 5-7 years, Tweens (8-12 years) and Teens (Especially the young teens ages 13-14 years).

And I might just call it the Marvel version of Toy Story 3. ;)

- Rebecca

May 3 - 05:13 PM

Andrew Kornblatt

Andrew Kornblatt

You're wrong on that one. The group of people most attracted to the Super Hero comic book genre are nerds. People age 10 - 60. People who used to read the comic books and I'm talking about the really old comics books too. Especially people who grew up with this stuff. People like me :D.

May 4 - 03:02 PM

Rich Swanson

Rich Swanson

Exactly. The Avengers were my favorite comics in the late 70s and early 80s. I had absurdly high standards and expectations to meet and Joss Whedon did everything just right. I just saw this in IMAX 3D and was absolutely blown away. I honestly have no complaints, and that is truly rare for me. A resounding success all around. I hope Joss gets an Oscar nod.

May 5 - 02:26 AM

Fred Brooks

You know what's so crazy about that 92% RT rating, now it's back up to 94% on RT. So whoever was thinking that "The Avengers" RT score would dip down in the 80's, sorry but that obviously is not going to happen, haha.

May 6 - 11:53 AM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

Anyone here going to bother seeing this film in 3D? I've been disappointed with 3D in most films since Avatar, and especially considering this is an post-3D production for Avengers really hurts the 3D aspect. I'm seeing an matinee of the 2D version at my small local theater tomorrow and hopefully there shouldn't be a lot of people in the middle of the day for the 2D version.

I have to say I'm also surprised at the reviews for this film, I thought it would be more on the line of Iron Man 2 or Thor. Guess that means I will enjoy this film even more than expected. Nice to see the Summer movie season start off with critical bang. This is also the first of several weekends in which you only have one mega hit coming out in wide release in theaters.

May 3 - 05:20 PM

scifimark

scifi mark

Didnt know this was post production 3d. ill probably skip the 3d then

May 3 - 06:47 PM

Brad Jemmi

Brad Jemmi

The post-production was done on purpose. The 3D is actually quite good

May 4 - 02:14 AM

Charles May III

Charles May III

The 3D was very impressively done in The Avengers. I definitely recommend it if you enjoy 3D films.

May 4 - 03:12 AM

scifimark

scifi mark

People are saying the post production is good so i might see it in 3d not sure. My only point is in most cases when its added after the fact it doesnt look well done. This is to take nothing away from the movie.

May 4 - 09:04 AM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

See, I actually found the 3D rather distracting and very dark. I didn't think it was a good post conversion at all. I'm going to see the movie again and it will definitely be in 2D. And I'm a big fan of 3D, but this one didn't do it for me.

May 6 - 08:43 AM

Jpeffer

Jake Peffer

The only way I'll see it in 3D is if I see it in IMAX 3D because that's the only way you can see it in IMAX. I personally hate 3D and thinks it's the most pointless way to make more money so I avoid it whenever I can.

May 3 - 09:24 PM

Kurtiss Keefner

Kurtiss Keefner

3-D is NOT pointless. Whedon filmed the movie knowing it would eventually be converted and despite the fact that it was converted post-film it is still some of the best 3-D I have ever seen. Some scenes even top Avatar in scale. Definitely recommend a 3-D or if possible an IMAX viewing. You will NOT be dissapointed :D

May 4 - 12:41 AM

ShadowMVMC

Chris McGee

3D was really good, and the Spiderman trailer looked even better in 3D

May 4 - 02:05 AM

Tamás Kovács

Tamás Kovács

The theater I could go to only had 3D so I had no option to choose 2D.

May 4 - 09:39 PM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

Some are calling The Avengers the greatest comic book movie ever. In seven hours, I'll see it that is true. I'm catching the midnight showing in IMAX 3D. I can't wait to see the movie as well as the new Dark Knight Rises (which I've seen 5 or 6 times by now) and Amazing Spider-Man trailers on that colossal screen. I'm so happy for the glowing reviews. It feels like just yesterday that I went to see Iron Man and was squealed like a fangirl at the post-credits scene. I got one thing to say to you, Marvel. In the immortal words of Phillip J. Fry, SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

May 3 - 05:43 PM

Manuel G.

Manuel Granados

In terms of sheer action I think it is, every act has a fight and there's the big ass final act which is a whole fight. Kind of like Transformers 3 when they arrive in Chicago, except it's not all over the place and way too long. In terms of story, it's a pretty simple and straightforward plot, but it does leave it open for a very good sequel.

May 3 - 05:54 PM

Manuel G.

Manuel Granados

May 3 - 05:54 PM

Manuel G.

Manuel Granados

Avengers (fans) assemble!
Watched it last saturday and will probably watch it again in IMAX, but since it's post converted I won't waste the extra money in the 3D part.

May 3 - 05:55 PM

Kurtiss Keefner

Kurtiss Keefner

Do it! Trust me, it's worth every penny.

May 4 - 12:42 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Cowards. Is there no man who dare pit his film against this behemoth? Blech. Even the limited releases are boring. I can't deal with you sweaty, greedy swine this weekend. I'll take my chances with the matinees. And not just for my sake, here's some advice. Stop kicking the seat in front of you.

May 3 - 06:03 PM

JC Martel

JC Martel

The back row is my answer to the kicking. Of course you have to deal with more rows of douchebags in front of you texting insipid sh*t every 5 minutes.

May 3 - 07:34 PM

Lenny M.

Lenny Monroe

I can't wait to see the look on the Christopher Nolan fanboys faces now. I'm still sure that Avengers Tomatometer will end up at 89% for the Avengers though. I'm not worried about which movie makes more money, but I'm more concerned with which movie has the highest Tomatometer. And ima be seeing Avengers in regular 2D. The Dark Knight Rises got my IMAX ticket for this year, and if there's one movie I'll be seeing in 3D this year, it'll be Prometheus.

May 3 - 06:41 PM

Fred Brooks

Nah, it's too many reviews in for it to drop that low. I always say once a film hits 100 reviews on RT, you can get a good gage on where it could end. It will end up between 92%-93% when it's done.

May 3 - 08:01 PM

IrreducibleKoan

Sean Pak

Am I a Nolan fanboy? Maybe; I definitely love his Batman films. But I'm not unhappy or worried at all. I think it's wonderful that The Avengers is doing so well. I can only hope Nolan can do the same or better. More good comic book movies is never a bad thing.

May 3 - 08:21 PM

Fred Brooks

I could'nt agree with you more, there's no reason "The Avengers","TASM" & "TDKR" can't all be great, there's more than enough room for all 3 films to flourish.

May 3 - 08:33 PM

Miles P.

Miles Patterson

I keep trying to remind people that two massive hits are worth a lot more to the comic book movie fan than one dominating the other. If they both go over huge that simply assures a rich and diverse set of future movies for us.

May 4 - 07:57 AM

Mr. Dufresne

Chip McNair

Is it wrong that I'm a Nolan fanboy and excited for The Avengers and The Amazing Spider-Man at the same time? Seriously, this competition needs to stop. Why can't they all be great movies?

May 3 - 09:15 PM

Robert Troch

Robert Troch

Because they aren't all great movies

May 4 - 01:24 PM

Mr. Dufresne

Chip McNair

So you've seen both The Dark Knight Rises and The Amazing Spider-Man in addition to The Avengers? WOW! *eyeroll*

May 4 - 08:02 PM

Fred Brooks

It's not wrong at all to be excited about seeing all 3 films. What rule is it to say that you can't enjoy both a Marvel and DC film, i know i do. "The Avengers" was absolutely epic, just a fantastic film in every way, and i'm going to see it again in a few days. I'm also looking forward to "TASM" & "TDKR", imagine if all 3 films are great, that's a win, win situation to me.

May 6 - 12:10 PM

Lenny M.

Lenny Monroe

I think I'm the only person that's not excited for The Amazing Spider Man. I've seen the trailers and all I see is weak acting and even weaker dialogue. Nothing about that film looks interesting in anyway and just convinces me that Marvel should just leave Spider Man alone. I'll try to see it in theaters but I'm also willing to easily wait for the DVD release.

May 3 - 10:58 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

*raises hand*

May 4 - 02:18 AM

Corr

Alexander Sciury

I'm also with you on that. I don't see how it looks all that great, but I guess I'll have to wait and see as it gets closer to actually being released, whether I'll change my mind or not.

May 4 - 08:17 AM

scifimark

scifi mark

ive got that feeling too. It just "feels" more ominous than it really needs to be. Im not sure if its the batman effect or not. On a side note marvel doesn't own the movie rights to spiderman sony does. I do find this somewhat amusing since spiderman is arguably their biggest ip

May 4 - 09:09 AM

Manuel G.

Manuel Granados

Spiderman looks like something I'll go watch if someone gives me a free ticket for a time that looks convenient. Garfield is not Spiderman in my eyes and the trailers look rather lame.

May 4 - 10:41 AM

David Miele

David Miele

What you guys have to remember is that no one saw Ruffalo as Hulk, and now? I couldn't see anybody else playing him after seeing him in The Avengers. And the trailer for TASM last night was good; really good. The way Garfield moves in the suit and the detail put into his web blasters, the way he talks, everything. I think he could easily take the cake from Toby... though I would love for Marvel to take the rights back.

May 4 - 10:56 AM

Manuel G.

Manuel Granados

I still don't like Ruffalo as banner, he was ok but nothing impressive. That's my personal opinion. Tobey was too dweeby for Spiderman and Garfield just doesn't strike me as Peter Parker, but maybe I'll change my mind. Like I said, the trailer did nothing for me, the whole "the story like it was never told before" seems a bit too much since you know, we already had the origin story and like 5 different cartoons. But we'll see, too early to tell, can't trust trailers (except for Prometheus, that one delivers)

May 4 - 12:09 PM

Trager Jonnes

Trager Jonnes

Totally agreed. I wouldn't have pegged Ruffalo as playing a credible Bruce Banner, but I was really impressed by his role. I also thought Whedon finally gave RDJ some Tony Stark bits that he could really get into (which was my biggest disappointment with IM2). I saw it in 2D the first time, but I do think I will try to see the movie again in 3D IMAX to pick up finer points of the visuals.

May 5 - 01:52 PM

Hernam Tirado

Hernam Tirado

I actually Ruffalo took a page right out of Bill Bixy take on David "Bruce" Banner take on his series "The Incredible Hulk" in that he play him him more of a reserve caution person you know? Like he accepted he was The Hulk but at the same time he's a reluctant hero you know what i am saying?

May 8 - 12:20 AM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

Whilst I am unsure of what to expect from the film, I do have complete faith in Garfield. He is a talented actor and I doubt that he would give anything other than his best for the chance to be a franchise star.

May 4 - 04:12 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

This is also why I am excited for The Amazing Spiderman. Garfield is a phenomenal actor. Granted he has limited to no exposure in the US so I can understand why people look confused when I make this statement.

The Red Riding Trilogy, Never Let me Go, Doctor Who on the BBC. He's Great!

May 5 - 10:05 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

And Garfield is also good in "Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus", more as a comic relief role. And I still find his role in "Social Network" to be the only sympathetic one.

May 5 - 02:27 PM

Eric Hepokoski

Eric Hepokoski

Marvel isn't handling Spider-Man, Sony Pictures does that. If Marvel got the rights back to Spider-Man and made a movie... it would be epic.

May 5 - 05:18 PM

Linda B.

Linda Burke

The Amazing Spider Man looks pretty much like the old Spiderman.

May 5 - 07:56 PM

May 6 - 08:43 AM

JC Martel

JC Martel

May 3 - 07:34 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Glad The Avengers is getting good marks, I'm definitely going to have to get out and see it. Now if Prometheus and The Dark Knight Rises live up to the massive expectations as well, then this will be the best summer movie season in a long time.

May 3 - 07:44 PM

Mr. Dufresne

Chip McNair

Amen to that. Not to mention if The Bourne Legacy, Brave, Snow White and the Huntsman, and The Amazing Spider-Man are great movies, too.

May 3 - 09:16 PM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

I second that. I don't care which film scores the bigger financial return as long as both Prometheus and TDKR are well made and are of the same high quality as their best predecessors.

May 4 - 04:32 PM

May 3 - 08:01 PM

May 3 - 08:16 PM

May 4 - 02:42 PM

TheAnimatorRator

Megan Gierasch

200 mil US domestic box office total. Ho-ly-Shit.

May 6 - 09:08 AM

May 6 - 11:47 AM

May 6 - 12:01 PM

Five Favorite Films
Five Favorite Films

Brick Mansions star RZA

WonderCon
WonderCon

175 cosplay pictures

Highlights
Highlights

Picture gallery of stoners in film

Summer Calendar