Box Office Guru Wrapup: The Avengers' Reign Continues

Summary

Dominating the box office for a third weekend in a row and turning all competitors into casualties of war, The Avengers held on firmly to the number one spot breaking more records in the process. Audiences were not very excited about the new releases as the big-budget action tentpole Battleship suffered a poor opening in second place, the Sacha Baron Cohen comedy The Dictator failed to match the raunchy funnyman's past performances, and the all-star pregnancy comedy What to Expect When You're Expecting debuted in fifth with weak results. It was the first time in fourteen years that the normally-busy weekend before the Memorial Day holiday frame failed to deliver any $35M+ openings causing the top ten to fall below both last year's and 2010's levels. Back to Article

Comments

Nicholas Lucas

Nicholas Lucas

I think it's a good thing. A good movie deserves to dominate box offices.

May 20 - 04:09 PM

Matt Lane

true, and Battleship is just insultingly pathetic.

May 20 - 06:07 PM

Sharon Shen

Sharon Shen

did you watch it? or are you just to be cool?
I haven't so i cant make an opinion yet

May 20 - 06:41 PM

bamb0o-stick

Jonathan Y

There's no need to, just look at all the reviews its gotten. If more people actually checked sites like RT and see what's good and bad it will save them the trouble of actually throwing money and supporting the studios that make movies like Battleship. A movie based on a board game, full of eye-candy and absolutely no substance don't deserve to be at a number one spot in my opinion. Movies that have good writing and talent like The Avengers deserve to make truckloads of money.

May 20 - 07:42 PM

i saw a free screening, not dumb enough to pay money for it. and yes i am cool

May 20 - 08:38 PM

George Patchell

George Patchell

I saw it here in Australia over a month ago and it was beyond terrible. My friends and I were hoping for something so-bad-it's-funny like Fast Five but it wasn't even funny save for a couple of laughs here and there. It's just a poor mans Transformers. Skip it!

May 20 - 08:56 PM

dd9090

Don Romero

Battleship previews were insulting.. brought to you by Hasbro??? Who needed to actually watch the thing?

May 26 - 10:36 AM

Phim Vi?t Nam

Phim Vi?t Nam

True, I felt sleepy when watching Battleship.

May 21 - 02:26 PM

DanielForth

daniel forth

It was good, however "That" good?, I don't know,IT just had a good Marketing Campaign, Four films worth.

May 22 - 04:10 PM

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

Want to see serious critics tearing Battleship apart? Read this:

May 23 - 09:35 PM

BLBnow

Brad Barfoot

I like Avengers, but it didn't meet my high ecpectations. Also seen "Hunger Games" over the weekend, and that sucked.

May 20 - 04:15 PM

EdP-Review

edgar perez

and you loved Battleship right?

May 20 - 04:29 PM

Nicholas Lucas

Nicholas Lucas

I bet she did! xD

May 21 - 02:18 PM

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

Well, if you are talking from intellectual standpoint Battleship is superior.

May 23 - 09:26 PM

dd9090

Don Romero

To what? Tic Tac Toe?

May 26 - 10:38 AM

Cole Ruster

Cole Ruster

Tell me, how did the Avengers not meet your expectations? Not enough witty comedy? Lacking in the special effects department? No character developmnt? I'm naming all the things that made it great if you haven't picked up on that.

May 20 - 04:59 PM

Murdoch

Murdoch +

Hmmmm . . . . let's see: Villain(s) a complete let down, Loki was far more threatening in THOR than he ever was in Avengers, Iron Man sacrificing himself was anti-climactic since IM 3 was already announced months ago, All the chitauri falling down as if they were robots powered by the mother ship was just a cop out and only served to bring an abrupt end to the seemingly endless barrage of red shirts who were equally susceptible to arrows as they were to bullets and lightening . . . . oh, and Stark falling back through the portal in space back to earth was just silly. .. . but other than that, won't disagree on the great banter, comedy, and special effects. As for my expectations: Far better met in Iron Man 1 & THOR.

May 20 - 05:53 PM

Matt Lane

i disagree with you about Loki, i thought he was pretty good - but i totally agree with you about the chitauri collapsing with the destruction of the mothership, like they were robots networked together or something? wtf was up with that?

May 20 - 06:05 PM

Chance McCormick

Chance McCormick

If you think the childish Thor movie was good than you have much bigger problems with your movie going experience. You probably really enjoyed Spider-Man 3 too didn't you. Lol

May 20 - 07:05 PM

Murdoch

Murdoch +

@Chance: Funny you're bashing someone for having childish tastes when your avatar is a cover for a video game . . . . and i didn't say Thor was AMAZING, i just appreciated how Branagh depicted the Thor-Loki-Odin relationship. . . .I really felt that Thor had to bring down his own flesh and blood to to win the day (did NOT get that in avengers, he just had to blast Chitauri until Hulk got a hold of Loki)

May 20 - 07:13 PM

ThatCriticalJew

Josh Michaels

good GOD! Shut the FUCK UP! seriously, there is no such thing as a perfect flawless film adaptation that everyone likes. By comic movie standards, this was the greatest thing ever. And Yeah it was better than both Avatar and Titanic. and it deserves to be at the top spot in the box office. Can't you guys just stop bickering for once and admit you enjoyed this film.

May 20 - 07:30 PM

Josh Leitzel

@Chance, You shouldn't say that people have problems for liking a certain movie. It's just rude. Besides, I liked Spiderman 3, it just had too many villains in it.

May 20 - 07:37 PM

Fred Brooks

You're wrong about 'Loki' bro, i thought he was bad ass in this. In 'Thor' he was transforming from good to evil, in this film he's all the way there. Manipulative,sneaky, scheming and just pure evil. We all already knew "Iron Man 3" was coming, so i don't see how you found his near death anti climatic, but to each his own.

May 20 - 07:37 PM

Murdoch

Murdoch +

@ThatCriticaljew: I'm sorry, i thought this was a movie rating website where people discuss what they liked/disliked about certain movies .. . . .you want to spill your seed in honor of a movie, do it at a movie theatre (preferrably when there are no children present) . . . . And if you actually read my comment, i did like the movie, and quite enjoyed it. I don't think anybody set out to make a perfect comic book movie, just an enjoyable one. I just didn't enjoy the ending as much as the fans who went and saw it 4 times on opening weekend . . . .those people probably do think it deserves to dethrone Avatar & Titanic, so why don't you go talk to them instead? (and bring a box of tissues!)

May 20 - 07:52 PM

Clint D.

Clint Davis

The chitauri collapsing with the destruction of the mothership was an obvious homage to one of Joss Whedon's favorite films The Phantom Menace.

May 21 - 03:53 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Kidding right? Iron man 1 was good but didn't have near the action of Avengers. Thor was simply a mediocre hero flick.

May 21 - 02:24 PM

Tyler S.

Tyler Sweet

rizzyh, avatar kind of blows

May 20 - 07:59 PM

dd9090

Don Romero

A lot of comments on the Avengers reminds me of Roper's infamous review of the LOTR: Fellowship -- "I just don't care about hobbits! Thumbs down for me." The hoytie toyties just don't care about comic book action heroes. So no matter how perfect the movie itself in movie making terms or in entertainment value terms the choice of TOPIC is necessarily means one star off. Why make "Avengers" when you could be making a socially relevant movie about how capitalist greed contributes to global warming which is directly affecting the survival of genitally mutilated Islamic women infected with tuberculosis in the genocidal-war-torn regions of Africa?

What I say? Render unto hoytie what is hoytie.. Some reviewers need to disqualify themselves from reviewing movies which they knew they didn't like two years before talk about going into production began. Either that or grow an open mind.

May 26 - 11:04 AM

Josh Leitzel

Well I loved the Hunger Games.

May 20 - 07:15 PM

dd9090

Don Romero

I had a hard time believing that any time that any of these kids were trained warriors, training to be warriors or even comprehended that they were fighting each other to the death. Kinda took the poignancy out of the other petty dramas.

FWIW, didn't read the book(s).

May 26 - 02:14 PM

Fred Brooks

"The Avengers" met and actually exceeded my expectation, just a flat out terrific film. I can't comment on "Hunger Games", i have'nt seen it and really don't have plans of seeing it, maybe i'll check it out on rental or watch it on HBO next year to see if it's any good to me.

May 20 - 07:41 PM

kinghongkong

Lacuna Matata

@Fred, I agree with you about Avengers. I was excited about it and it exceeded my expectations as well. It was an amazing ensemble piece that brought all of the characters together in a very enjoyable popcorn flick. I thought Loki was great too...he isn't the badass in the movie anyway, he's just the bad man given the power by a force (we're not supposed to know of until the end), so by definition he's almost like a powerful three star general with the bigwigs watching from somewhere else.

I'd also recommend seeing the Hunger Games in the cinema. I don't know f***all about the books, but I thought the movie was really enjoyable and good for what it is. Plus, I think the big screen adds to a lot of the film...some films should be seen on the biggest screen.

May 20 - 08:47 PM

Premo Beat

John Noto

"good for what it was"

I'll take 'Things people say about shite movies' for $500, Alex!

May 21 - 09:32 AM

Fred Brooks

I do plan on checking "Hunger Games" out, to see if it's good. I will say this, it's making a boatload of money, and it was clearly the talk of the year film until "Avengers" hit the scene. It looks to be headed for 400 million domestically which is outstanding, it truly is. I'll say this, outside of "The Avengers", i don't see many if any more films passing it's US total, maybe "TDKR", and that could be it.

May 21 - 09:05 PM

Phim Vi?t Nam

Phim Vi?t Nam

'The Avengers' is more than my expectation even though I knew it got 93% fresh tomatoes here. :D

May 21 - 02:29 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

*Spoiler

I too thought the bad guy army collapsing after the mother ship destruction was a bit abrupt. But like The Jew said, nothings perfect. The quality of the rest of the film certainly filled in any logic gaps that popped up (like the propeller on the hellicarrier getting blown to shit in one scene and then its repairable in the other, picky and petty I know. And totally excusable because the rest of the movie was money) Basically, The Avengers was fulfilling on soooooo many levels that the few little dents in the armor add more cinematic texture than quality speed bumps.

May 20 - 10:11 PM

Aashu Nomore a LiLo Lover

aashu singh

Well,i liked it but didn't find it anything great.Climax was pretty silly.Why do you need a Superhero battalion when all you need is mere bullet shots (referring to Black Widow) to take your enemy down.Scarlett Johansson's Russian was as bad as Hindi of that poor little slum kid.I lolled when i heard that.I don't know why everyone is making so much fuss about special effects.They are good but nothing like we haven't seen before.Avatar,King Kong,The Lord of the Rings,Dark of the moon still tops it at that department.I wish they'd had payed some attention towards Cinematography and Original score.Both sucked.I don't think it has any chance at Oscars.Maybe some technical nominations which it'll loose either to The Dark Knight Rises or The Hobbit.

May 22 - 12:42 PM

Fred Brooks

I'm not sure how awards will play out, which are always flawed and weird anyway. I will say this however, "The Avengers" will smoke "TDKR" & "The Hobbit" at the box office, bank on that.

May 23 - 12:20 AM

dd9090

Don Romero

Black Widow with a 9-mil *was* goofy and inexplicable. Its not like SHIELD wouldn't have anything bigger or more powerful. Or perhaps with a few more bullets? I know I winced.

I don't know if this makes sense, but SciFi and comic book movies are CGI and SFX because they HAVE to be due to the fantastical "super-human" actions which defy normal everyday physics. So while you don't want bad SFX/CGI to detract from the movie, you don't NEED the most fantastic, eye-popping, "ne'er before seen" SFX/CGI either. The STORY is the MARVEL thing. In a perfect Marvel movie, SFX/CGI stuff is just background ink to the characters and stories.

Josh Whedon's "The Avengers" faithfully presented the Marvel characters in the classic wise-cracking, character-driven Marvel style. That alone put it heads above most script-less big-budget CGI driven drivel of our day. THAT "Avengers" is also as good or better than is other great Marvel movies makes it DAMN good.

May 26 - 12:48 PM

Alexander Robinson

Alexander Robinson

Good

May 20 - 04:20 PM

EdP-Review

edgar perez

and you loved Battleship right?

May 20 - 04:29 PM

Nicholas Lucas

Nicholas Lucas

I bet she did! xD

May 21 - 02:18 PM

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

Well, if you are talking from intellectual standpoint Battleship is superior.

May 23 - 09:26 PM

dd9090

Don Romero

To what? Tic Tac Toe?

May 26 - 10:38 AM

Max Zwain

Max Zwain

I loved the Avengers! Great to see that it wasn't beat at the box office :)

May 20 - 04:37 PM

May 21 - 03:53 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

May 21 - 02:24 PM

Rebeccachu Elizabeth C.

Rebecca Clark

The Dictator looks funny, but I'll just wait for it on Hi-Def Blu-Ray. Preganant Women and a all-star cast can't bicker and beg for me to see "Battleshit". (Please, 14-year old boys, go see Marvel's The Avengers instead -- It's never too late.) Bring on Men In Black 3 on the 25th. Let's see how Agent J and Agent K can be in a showdown against a team of superheroes! C:<

May 20 - 05:57 PM

May 20 - 06:05 PM

Matt Lane

true, and Battleship is just insultingly pathetic.

May 20 - 06:07 PM

Sharon Shen

Sharon Shen

did you watch it? or are you just to be cool?
I haven't so i cant make an opinion yet

May 20 - 08:56 PM

dd9090

Don Romero

May 26 - 10:36 AM

Isaac

Isaac H

Really glad to see The Avengers still holding up so well. It deserves every cent it rakes in. Now I'm just crossing my fingers that it manages to achieve the coveted 600M threshold.

May 20 - 06:31 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

MIB 3 will easily defeat Avengers next week, but Avengers is the only Superhero movie until the Amazing Spider-man on (USA) Independence Day weekend so it should continue to get weekends in the double digits for half or more of June. Which would allow it to get to that $600 million domestic mark. It will fall short of Titanic and Avatar because those two films had held way better than Avengers.

May 20 - 07:05 PM

Josh Leitzel

I can't wait for the Amazing Spiderman! It's going to be awesome!

May 20 - 07:39 PM

Clint D.

Clint Davis

Doubt it. It really brings nothing new to the table that I can see. There is actually very little excitement for that film.

May 21 - 11:39 AM

dd9090

Don Romero

1. Loki had better allies and the element of surprise in Thor. Asgard didn't see Loki coming so made better victims.

2. MOVIES 101 : Main characters never "sacrifice". They do "risk", but ultimately prevail. That Ironman makes it back is expected. but that he does so by stylishly free-falling in empty space is unnecessary bad physics.

3. Falling Chitauri.. according to my nephew, this was stolen wholesale from Lucas and the Phantom Menace. Scampering back to the closing wormhole in full retreat works better for me, but...

4. Hawkeye's arrows? Blame Marvel. Hawkeye had an (exploding) arrow for everything and Whedon's just being 'authentic' -- except where Hawkeye hits targets he can't possibly SEE even peripherally.

My Marvel Ranks

1. Captain America, Ironman I, Avengers.
4. Thor, Spiderman I, Ironman II, X-Men I
8. Spiderman II, Fantastic Four Silver Surfer, X-Men First Class
11. Spiderman III, Fantastic Four, X-Men United,
14. X-Men Final Conflict
15. Origins: Wolverine

May 26 - 01:46 PM

Fred Brooks

I agree with you, "MIB 3" should unseat "Avengers" fairly easily, if it would have came out a week or two after "Avengers", that would have been a different story. You're right that "Avengers" won't have enough legs to carry it to "Avavtar's" numbers, but the main reason is "Avengers" faces far more competition in the summer movie season than "Avatar" ever had to face. If "Avatar" would have been released durring the summer movie season, it would not have made near the money it has. It still would have been a huge hit, but certainly not at the level is got to. It does seem inevitable that "The Avengers" passes 600M demestically, which is quite an achievement and honor for any film.

May 20 - 07:56 PM

King  S.

King Simba

It's funny how everyone tries to use lack of competetion as the main reason for Avatar's success. Do you realize that in its second weekend alone, Avatar went against Alvin and the Chipmunks 2, Sherlock Holmes and It's Complicated? By comparison nothing Avengers has faced so far is going to come close to the gross of It's Complicated, much less Sherlock and Alvin.

May 21 - 09:14 AM

Fred S.

Fred Sanford

King S.: There was this little movie called : THE HUNGER GAMES

May 21 - 12:49 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Hunger Games was already in its seventh week by the time Avengers hit theaters. Hardly much competetion.

May 21 - 01:56 PM

Fred Brooks

"Avengers" will reach 600 million domestically. It should go into friday somewhere around 477-480 million, i look for it take in 40-50 million over the 4 day holiday, which should bring it's total anywhere between 517-530 million. Now you're talking about only 70-80 more million needed, which it should cruise to. I'll say 625 million domestically at the end of it's box office run.

May 23 - 12:26 AM

Sharon Shen

Sharon Shen

watch Dark Shadows this weekend, i hated Alice in Wonderland. But i really liked this ( except for the cheesy ending). It was funny and Johnny Depp delivered.

May 20 - 06:38 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

The ending killed it for me, it was sooooo slapdash. Seriously, where did half that stuff come from? I agree Depp and Green were good and thier interactions were a highlight, but the problem was they were the only ones who were given any development. When your third best character is the groundskeeper you have a problem. I just makes me sad to see how far Burton has fallen in recent years. Short of M. Night I can't think of anyone whose career has taken a more steep downward trajectory in quality.

May 20 - 09:44 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Michael Cimino.

May 20 - 10:14 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Not being very deep on the original series, my understanding is that they threw in a bunch of the shows many sub-dramas as kind of an inside joke to fans. I didn't really care - I preferred the film the less sense it made. It reminds me of "Mars Attacks" (although not as good as that), another polarizing Burton romp with a slapdash ending that made little effort to ultimately make a lot of sense.

May 21 - 02:06 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Actually, it's impressive Tim Burton has even lasted this long. That's more than what you can say for a lot of 80s and 70s directors. I mean at least Tim Burton can still deliver a great film, it's just not as frequently as he used to. His fall is nothing compared to directors like Ivan Reitman, Barry Levinson, Oliver Stone, Martin Brest, Joel Schumacher, John Hughes, John Landis, and many others

May 21 - 09:32 AM

Gordon Sr.

Gordon Sr.

how could you?///you are to have boycotted Dark Shadows for the mockery it made of the original's legacy.

May 21 - 03:32 PM

dd9090

Don Romero

Saw "Shadows".. thought it funny but uneven; sometimes deadpan 70's soap, other times hip parody of deadpan 70s soap. Not sure I got the ending, other than (maybe) sequel?

And speaking of the Red Queen.. I loved watching Depp, Helena and the set design in "Alice". Just too bad everybody else had to be in the movie, too.

May 26 - 01:59 PM

Sharon Shen

Sharon Shen

did you watch it? or are you just to be cool?
I haven't so i cant make an opinion yet

May 20 - 06:41 PM

bamb0o-stick

Jonathan Y

May 20 - 07:42 PM

i saw a free screening, not dumb enough to pay money for it. and yes i am cool

May 20 - 08:38 PM

George Patchell

George Patchell

May 20 - 08:56 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

The Avengers did only a little bit better than what I expected. I knew it would get around $50 million. Battleship on the other hand did much worse then I expected. I guess all the comments on Thursday saying that Battleship would bomb were correct. I guess its a good thing that Universal released the film internationally first or the movie would have bombed. I guess it's on track to break even if you look at all the money it's made world wide.

The Dictator made as much as I would have expected. Cohen is starting to get stale and I think he either needs to freshen up his fictional alter egos or retire.

I'm surprised at how bad Expecting did. I guess women are not going to fall for star studded but mediocre films anymore, which is only a good thing. I've always been upset that movies geared towards female audiences have generally been bad. If women start rejecting these films, this will force Hollywood to actually make good chick flicks.

May 20 - 07:01 PM

Sorting Hat

Carlos Villela

Yeah, The Avengers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 20 - 07:02 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

May 20 - 07:05 PM

Josh Leitzel

I can't wait for the Amazing Spiderman! It's going to be awesome!

May 20 - 07:39 PM

Clint D.

Clint Davis

May 21 - 11:39 AM

dd9090

Don Romero

My Marvel Ranks

1. Captain America, Ironman I, Avengers.
4. Thor, Spiderman I, Ironman II, X-Men I

Chance McCormick

May 20 - 07:05 PM

Ethan Hawke's 10 Best Movies

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Pictures of great movie apes

Gone Girl Trailer