Weekly Ketchup: Has Marvel Planned All the Way to 2021?

Summary

This week's Ketchup includes coverage of news stories for the sequels Finding Dory, The Expendables 3, Now You See Me 2, and Paranormal Activity 5 (which is actually Paranormal Activity 6... sort of). There's also new movie projects for Leonardo DiCaprio, Harrison Ford, and Life of Pi director Ang Lee. Back to Article

Comments

Catbus

* Catbus!

That has to be the best strategy since Orion films contracted all the best break dancers through 2009.

Aug 9 - 04:52 PM

Derek Eisen

Derek Eisen

how about just no more dancing. i mean it. it doesn't make me enjoy a commercial or movie any better. in fact it makes me hate it all the more.

Aug 9 - 11:57 PM

Selena F.

Selena Forda

I work at Home with Google. It's by-far the nicest job I have had. I've made $64,000 so far this year working online and I'm a full time student. I've made such great money. It's really user friendly and I'm just so happy that I found out about it. Here is what I do, Bling6.com

Aug 19 - 01:02 PM

Veronica J.

Veronica Jones

Find a millionaire man or woman for a serious relationship, welcome to___richfriends.com___the largest dating site for rich successful singles and admirers. Have a try and find singles who will exceed your expectations and join you in your pursuit of happiness! :)

Aug 14 - 12:41 AM

Alissa Oakman

Alissa Oakman

before I looked at the paycheck ov $4727, I didnt believe that...my... best friend was actualey receiving money in there spare time on their laptop.. there aunts neighbour has been doing this for only eleven months and just repayed the loans on their cottage and bourt themselves a Jaguar XJ. go to..>>>

w瓀瓀.C璶璶񩧿.c璷璵

Aug 15 - 03:27 PM

Budda F

Budda F

Why is the Marvel list missing the planned Spider-man, X-men, and X-men spin-off movies?

Aug 9 - 05:08 PM

Greg Dean Schmitz

Those movies are produced by Sony and Fox. Not Marvel Studios.

Aug 9 - 05:15 PM

Geeskater

Jamie Rogers

exactly, wish they would sell the rights to disney, would love to get Spider-Man in there and Deadpool too.

Aug 9 - 08:00 PM

Derek Eisen

Derek Eisen

nonono. deadpool will never be touched by fucking disney. dont even type that. never again... never...

Aug 9 - 11:59 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

what do you mean never again? disney hasn't ever done a deapool movie. his film rights belong to fox.

Aug 10 - 01:41 AM

Bradly Martin

after the deadpool we got from Wolverine origins...you think you would be begging for some one else to have the rights to that character.

Aug 10 - 09:27 AM

Blondie

No Name

Marvel is owned by Disney. They would never make a Rated R movie. I don't think it's possible to do Deadpool right without some more adult stuff in there. I think the only way to do him and do him right is to get some serious directors who can also have fun with the movie (like the director of Kick-Ass and X-Men: First Class) and make a Rated R Deadpool movie. Otherwise, they might pull another Origins out of it. They should keep Reynolds, though. He seems right for the role.

Aug 10 - 10:26 AM

Matt Ruttan

Matt Ruttan

I love the generic "DISNEY WILL NEVER MAKE AN R-RATED MOVIE" responses to Deadpool.

Guys, do you even pay attention to what Disney has owned since the 1990s? Touchstone Pictures, Miramax, and Dimension are all Disney-owned studios... What does that translate to? Disney owns films like Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction, fucking GRINDHOUSE, the Scream Trilogy, hell.. a CRAP TON of generic gory horror flicks produced by Dimension.

To sit there and freak out that Disney would never do anything R-rated just goes to point out that a lot of you have no idea how many R-rated projects Disney has funded and greenlit.

So yes, the idea of an R-rated Deadpool movie is not all that far-fetched. Just unlikely because most studios in general don't like making R-rated superhero movies, because they don't make as much money as the PG-13 ones.

Aug 10 - 12:04 PM

Typhon

Typhon Q

All Deadpool needs is a movie that'll wipe out Ryan Reynolds's version of the character from the typical moviegoer's mind.

Aug 10 - 03:00 PM

Blondie

No Name

@Matt You just proved my point. They won't make a Rated R superhero movie because it won't make as much money. Stop sitting there and acting like you know everything when you're contradicting yourself.

@Typhon With a better script, Reynolds could make a good Deadpool. He just needs to be good enough to wipe out what happened in Origins, that is if they're going to act like it never happened.

Aug 10 - 04:17 PM

Typhon

Typhon Q

@Tommy I think that they've been ignoring Origins for a while now, seeing as Prof X gets paralyzed in First Class even when he's seen walking in Origins.

Also, do you really think Ryan Reynolds is good for the role? I personally don't think that he's dark enough (personality/emotional wise) to convey the anti-hero persona of Deadpool.

Aug 10 - 08:06 PM

King  S.

King Simba

It's not just Origins that First Class contradicted though, it contradicted nearly all the X-men movies (e.g, in the first X-men, Prof X tells Wolverine that Storm, Jean and Cyclops were his first students. He also acts surprised that Magneto's helmet can block out his thoughts even though according to First Class he had been using it for decades. Also, in The Last Stand, Prof X and Magneto were still shown to be friends twenty years before the events of the film, while according to First Class they should have been enemies way before then) so it's hard to say whether they consider the events of X-men Origins canon or not.

Aug 10 - 11:40 PM

Blondie

No Name

@Typhon I heard he was pretty close to what Deadpool was in the comics. Not that I read the comics, it's just that the whole movie was ridiculous. It wasn't dark at all so Reynolds kind of just saw it as a dumb action movie that he wasn't even in there for that long. Ultimately, that's what it was. I feel that he could if the movie helped him achieve it.

@ King Simba I agree. But I think that's what Days of Future Past is going to be for. It's going to fix the plot-holes that First Class made, so there's still a possibility that they aren't discounting Origins. I just hope they do.

Aug 11 - 09:15 AM

Jim Puder

Jim Puder

Wolverine is not rater R, and the sequel (not the Origins crap) is pretty good. It's not necessary to make an R-rated movie. And who the fuck cares about Deadpool? He's the most un-interesting character ever conceived by Marvel, except maybe Cable or Longshot.

Aug 10 - 11:36 AM

Micah Taylor

Micah Taylor

I don't want to be a troll here, but that last line is pure idiocy. You should really read the work that's been done on him in the last 8 years.

Aug 10 - 02:41 PM

Greg Dean Schmitz

Those movies are produced by Sony and Fox. Not Marvel Studios.

Aug 9 - 05:15 PM

Jim Puder

Aug 10 - 11:36 AM

Micah Taylor

Micah Taylor

Aug 10 - 02:41 PM

Pretty interesting week

Top Story: What a time to be alive (And obsessed with Marvel).

Fresh
No. 1: I'm more of a pro-wrestling fan myself, but Ang Lee behind the camera makes it decidedly more interesting.

No. 2: Considering this is Leo's passion project, I would be tempted to put it lower down, as the last passion project of an actor's got us After Earth. A certain actor being involved should in no way put a story this high.

No. 3: Kind of a bland, obvious cast, but I'm very happy that Pixar are going back to original ideas. Hopefully they can recapture some of the magic of their early days.

No 4: I have no idea who the subject is, so I can't exactly comment on this story.

No. 5: I still haven't seen either of the Expendables, and I'm not sure why, so I guess I should check 'em out soon. Harrison Ford seems like a cool addition though, as does Gibson.

No. 6: Hmm, I think mid-to-late thirties would be a better age for Batman, as the actor could stick around for a longer time. Fassbender is still my pick to play him, but I'm hugely disappointed in DC's attempted Cinematic Universe. Ideally, Superman should have been a much more upbeat film, and the tone has now been set for the rest of the franchise, hurting the prospects of a series to rival Marvel's.

No. 7: ...Great, another terrible movie.

Rotten
No. 2: ....More trite.

No. 1: I skipped Now You See Me, but I was pretty sure it would be, at the very least entertaining. I'm probably gonna skip the sequel too.

Aug 9 - 05:26 PM

Greg Dean Schmitz

Sam Kinison's most famous movie role was probably as the history professor in "Back to School." It's classic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj5k6toS7i8

Aug 9 - 05:39 PM

Willem DaPerson

...Why is Meatloaf screaming at Yogi Bear? Seriously though, he actually seems like a cool dude.

Aug 9 - 05:51 PM

Sarah Tresca

Sarah Tresca

Another 2 terrible movies

Aug 10 - 07:19 AM

Exactly.

Aug 10 - 07:34 AM

DO NOT FORGET MY NAME

Jesus Christ

Richard Armitage as Batman...I seriously hope they do that.

Aug 9 - 05:27 PM

Willem DaPerson

That does seem like a pretty good choice. Better than Josh Brolin, anyway.

Aug 9 - 05:28 PM

Shane Olsen

Shane Olsen

Surprised Karl Urbans name hasn't come up yet, especially if they are looking for a little bit more grizzled/veteran Batman.

Aug 9 - 07:50 PM

Willem DaPerson

Yeah, he does seem like a prime candidate, and the internet is all over him already.

Aug 10 - 07:35 AM

Bradly Martin

I feel like I'm the only one who is thinking this but....with how awful Snyder is at directing actors...does it really matter who they cast as Batman?

I was so excited to see Shannon as Zod for example...then I saw it...then I realized that Snyder just has this way of crushing an actors spirit and they all come off as reading a script that they don't like.

Gerard Butler seems to be the only actor that can deliver the lines the way Snyder wants.

Aug 10 - 09:29 AM

Willem DaPerson

That's my problem with Snyder as a director. He has no idea how to propel a plot forward, or get actors to, y'know, act convincingly. He certainly brings the flash, but his movies are hollow (Despite what people try to tell me).

Aug 10 - 04:01 PM

Bradly Martin

I was the biggest WATCHMEN fan in my town when that movie came to theaters, I was so excited to see Jack Earl Haley as Rorschach knowing that he was an amazing actor. Then I saw Snyders...Vision...of Watchmen and was shocked to see how 2-dimensional Haley was playing it. A weak Bale impersonation of a voice and acting like the kid in gym class everyone picked on to much. Needless to say I think the actor that played The Comedian was great. I think it takes a special kind of person to follow Snyders bizzare direction. Special or Rare kind of actor.

I'm gonna try to be postive about who ever they get as Batman but Joseph, is there anyone in particular your hoping they get?

Aug 10 - 08:24 PM

Matanuki .

Damn, Bradly. So Shannon's Zod sucked, Watchmen sucked, and Snyder generally sucks?...

Aug 11 - 04:54 AM

Willem DaPerson

I was originally hoping for Fassbender to get Batman, simply because I think the guy can do no wrong. However, with this Man of Steel-influenced universe, I would rather he left it alone. What I was hoping for was a universe similar to the Arkham Asylum/City video-games, whereby the fantastical elements of the mythos could be made palatable in a realistic vision of Gotham/Metropolis/Wherever.

At Matanuki: Yes, that's exactly it.

Aug 11 - 07:23 AM

Bradly Martin

I think Fassbender would be Fantastic as Bruce Wayne.
Matanuki, I don't want to come across as saying Snyder is the worst film maker in the world. I own 300, and watch it often. Was I disappointed by the Man of Steel and Watchmen and shocked to see Shannon one of the greatest actors I've seen in the past year give a less then Mediocre performance in Man of Steel? Yes...yes I was. I thought The First Flight sequence of Clark was Amazing though and obviously that had a lot to do with Snyder's vision. It just seems like Snyder has this way of taking brilliant ideas and making them more pre pubencent Machismo fantasy. 300 was allready that way to begin with and Sucker Punch was the biggest love letter to 13 year old boys I've ever seen. Yes, one of the dumbest films I've ever seen as well but that Train station assault was pretty bad ass if I'm being honest.

For Snyder to make the Man of Steel the way he did and then to say things like CLark represents hope and the best of us all makes me think he's insane. Stand behind him and join him in the sun? I wouldn't stand behind him in line at an IHOP *zing*

Aug 11 - 04:29 PM

Matanuki .

But Bradly, exaggerating never helps. It just feels like bias when you say that Shannon gave a "less than mediocre performance in Man of Steel". And we've talked at length about Snyder's vision. You know where I stand on that. I still think folks are judging it not against the comic but against the Donnor films, and that's backwards in my view. I don't expect to change any options here. Just sayin. Watchmen did not suck, Shannon's Zod was in no conceivable way "less than mediocre," and Snyder so far has a pretty good track record with adapting comics, which is more than can be said about a great many Hollywood filmmakers right now. Despite the gripes a few might have, ALL of Snyder's comic book adaptations have been successful.

Aug 13 - 06:40 AM

Bradly Martin

Who's exaggerating, people who have never seen Michael Shannon act will ask "which one was he? " if you ask about his performance in The Man of Steel. Mean while fans of "Take Shelter" "Boardwalk Empire" "Revolutionary Road" and Hell even "Premium Rush" KNOW who Michael Shannon is because of his absolutely fantastic performance. This performance was the typically directed 'Just shout really really loud and be mad all the time and make your motivations world domination just cuz! I'm Zack Snyder!" directing.

I know, I'm the first to admit that I'm being unreasonable when I hope that films based on subject's I like are great and not just seat filling nonsense for the Generation who cares Crowed.

Aug 14 - 02:06 PM

Matanuki .

Bradly, you obviously feel strongly about this. I just disagree, man. I know Shannon's work well, but I also think his performance in Man of Steel as Zod was spot on. The character IS a megalomaniac. The character IS obsessed with achieving world domination. That's who Zod is. It's like you got a Jekyll/Hyde thing going on here, man. I thought you liked Man of Steel but had some gripes. Now it's like you completely hated it.

Aug 14 - 02:50 PM

Bradly Martin

Yeah I never really review films as a whole, its my number one problem. In this case I was severely disappointed that Shannon was cast to play the part that was written for anybody to play. I'm very excited to see the Blu-Ray. The Snyder Blu-Ray's are always better than the theatrical releases. You can quote me on that.

Aug 14 - 04:43 PM

Mervin LovesZbrush

Mervin LovesZbrush

Yeah, if all else fails, I won't complain if they go with Richard.

Aug 10 - 12:55 AM

Willem DaPerson

That does seem like a pretty good choice. Better than Josh Brolin, anyway.

Aug 9 - 05:28 PM

Shane Olsen

Shane Olsen

Aug 9 - 07:50 PM

Aug 10 - 07:35 AM

Aug 10 - 09:29 AM

Aug 10 - 04:01 PM

Aug 10 - 08:24 PM

Aug 11 - 04:54 AM

Willem DaPerson

At Matanuki: Yes, that's exactly it.

Aug 11 - 07:23 AM

Bradly Martin

I think Fassbender would be Fantastic as Bruce Wayne.

Aug 11 - 04:29 PM

Aug 13 - 06:40 AM

Aug 14 - 02:06 PM

Aug 14 - 02:50 PM

Aug 14 - 04:43 PM

Aug 9 - 05:39 PM

Aug 9 - 05:51 PM

Aug 9 - 05:51 PM

John Tyler

John Tyler

How is #7 fresh?

Aug 9 - 05:56 PM

Willem DaPerson

Maybe the writer's a fan?

Aug 9 - 06:00 PM

Greg Dean Schmitz

Well, critics might be. PA - 83%; PA2 - 59%; PA3 - 68%; PA4 - 25%. Two were solidly Fresh, one was just on the border, and only the most recent was Rotten.

Aug 9 - 06:07 PM

But...but they suck...

Aug 9 - 06:19 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Don't horror sequels tend to go on a downwards spiral in quality though? I really can't see Paranormal Activity 5 earning much better reviews than PA4. The premises is just so limited. Seeing things move by themselves may have been scary the first time but now it seems like all the scares have been milked out of the premises.

Aug 10 - 02:11 AM

crusader151

Peter Marsh

Or because of the reasons they listed in the column? "Despite the really low RT Tomatometer score of 24% for Paranormal Activity 4, the first three movies were all "Fresh," and so we're going to tag this duo as "Borderline" Fresh... for now."

Aug 9 - 09:03 PM

Willem DaPerson

That would imply there's any hope left for these two, and I highly doubt the writer's are suddenly gonna come up with a way of making this dull franchise interesting again.

Aug 10 - 07:36 AM

Willem DaPerson

Maybe the writer's a fan?

Aug 9 - 06:00 PM

Aug 9 - 06:19 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Aug 10 - 02:11 AM

Overfed Jed

Overfed Jed

I'm ah more excited for Expendables 3 than ah all those ah Marvel movies.

Aug 9 - 06:18 PM

But...but they suck...

Aug 9 - 06:19 PM

Captain Terror

Captain Terror

2022: "Devil Dinosaur"
2023: "Moon Boy: The First Human"
2024: "Devil Dinosaur & Moon Boy"

Aug 9 - 07:39 PM

Aug 10 - 07:35 AM

Aug 10 - 09:29 AM

Aug 10 - 04:01 PM

Aug 10 - 08:24 PM

Aug 11 - 04:54 AM

Willem DaPerson

At Matanuki: Yes, that's exactly it.

Aug 11 - 07:23 AM

Bradly Martin

I think Fassbender would be Fantastic as Bruce Wayne.

Aug 11 - 04:29 PM

Aug 10 - 11:40 PM

Blondie

No Name

Aug 11 - 09:15 AM

President Pedro

President Pedro

In other news Warner Brothers still has no clue what the hell they're doing. The top story is basically Disney giving a huge finger to WB. Seeing how WB cut the cord on Superman real fast and deciding to throw Batman in there for really no reason showed Disney WB is no threat and is yet again going to find a creative way to fuck up DC on film. If possible, can Disney buy DC so we actually get to see that brand done right and have an actual series develop rather then WB's BS "throw Batman in it" solution. Plus, we'd get a DC/Marvel crossover; hey one can dream can't he?

Aug 9 - 08:23 PM

Willem DaPerson

I really thought Man of Steel was gonna get quickly rebooted, so WB could set about making a more light-hearted franchise, which would be much more feasible than what they currently have in mind. The fact that they appear to be taking their inspiration from The Dark Knight Returns proves that they have no idea what they're doing in regards to the characters. At this stage, it would be best to get in Paul Dini, in a Joss Whedon-esque role, to make sure they don't mess it up any more than they already have.

Jeez, it seems the only people who understand how to do super hero franchises right are Marvel/Disney/Kevin Feige, and Bryan Singer/Matthew Vaughn. Not Fox, Singer/Vaughn.

Aug 10 - 07:42 AM

Matanuki .

Man of Steel set DC/WB off to a good start with their version of a cinematic universe. It was a nice touch to not see Superman automatically perfect from the very beginning. They had the courage to allow that having only been a superhero literally for less than 48 hours at the time of the events in the film, Superman could be clumsy, destructive, can make some mistakes, and can have a hard time with a group of elite, professional Kryptonian soldiers.
Now we get to see Kal shake off the tethers of a conflicted past only to find himself obliged to face the consequences of his power and the level of immensity those consequences can reach if his power is not better contained. No, he learns, mere brute force is not only inefficient despite the best of intentions, but in his case is ultimately destructive. More cunning is needed, more strategy. And he will have to make the heroic choice of facing his flaws and improving himself. He gets to actually become that ideal we're supposed to strive towards, rather than just be assumed as much the very first time he puts on the suit.

Enter the more experiences, grizzled, and wiser Batman. The brilliance of this is it fits right in as a Man of Steel sequel since through the training and insight Kal will likely gain from Batman's mentorship will easily serve as character development in the same way that, for instance, Bruce's character grew through his relationship with Ducard (Ra's) in Nolan's series. And then it gives the fans that Batman/Superman match up that they've been after for decades. Two things achieved in one movie, as well as setting a platform to jumpstart the DC crossover events without having to play catch up to Marvel.

Aug 11 - 05:12 AM

Willem DaPerson

But the idea that they're gonna face off, and especially considering it's based off The Dark Knight Returns, implies to me that DC don't have any vision when it comes to what they should be going for. This idea that Superman will learn to control his power (With, I'm assuming, great responsibility), is all well and good, but Zack Snyder at the helm, and the studio greed that will fuel the Justice League movie, I would have a lot of hope.

Aug 11 - 07:29 AM

Matanuki .

You're jumping to far ahead with a negative assumption, Joseph. A lot of people are being mislead by the domain purchases of the titles "Batman vs Superman" and "Superman vs Batman", led to think it's going to be a versus war. I think the reference to DKR was just meant to plug one of the great comic titles that have put these two together in one story. A smart move for a Comic Con tease, because two things happen. One, you get fans excited for the Superman/Batman movie we've wanted for so long. And two, you get skeptics creating a controversy where there is none. Which is okay because controversies get people talking, and skepticism gives these things legs. Smart money says they are NOT going to use a "versus" title and more likely going with something like World's Finest. And I trust Snyder with this. My bet is its gonna win over some people who hated MOS, some who will probably wind up saying, "OOOHhhhhh, ok. Now I get it!" .

Aug 13 - 06:49 AM

Willem DaPerson

I believe they have spoken about how it's either gonna be Batman versus Superman, or vice versa. Snyder is undeniably a great visual director, but he has no idea when it comes to character building, or development. I think it's too tempting for them (Snyder and WB) to have their top heroes fight, and the film will be a glorified action movie. The fact that they insist on a dark, brooding Cinematic Universe kinda seals the deal for me. If they wanted to equal the success of The Avengers (Not just commercially, but critically), then it would have been smartest to aim for a less "grounded" 'verse, and incorporate a more fantastical take on the characters.

Aug 13 - 08:01 AM

Matanuki .

If they try to copy Marvel's formula, they will fail. They will also miss out on an opportunity to truly honor the differences inherent to DC's characters. I think we've been spoiled as movie goers. As much is evinced by the nature of the things we get up in arms about. Man of Steel was not "dark and brooding". It was compelling. I don't wanna "believe a man can fly". I wanna believe that said flying man has actual conflict in his life, and that his transition to a hero comes with challenges, sacrifice, mistakes and flaws to grow from, etc. Man of Steel is a Superman film that Joseph Campbell would appreciate, and that's saying a lot. It's speculation on my part, sure. But the evidence is there.
Speaking of evidence, I'm not sure there's any pointing at Snyder and WB wasting the opportunity that they have with this film. Trying to follow Marvel's blueprint is what got them Green Lantern. And I think we can all agree that we don't need a retread of that.

Aug 13 - 10:57 AM

Matanuki .

And by the way, Joseph. Let's wager right now for everyone here to bear witness. I bet YOU, sir, ten points of internet street cred that they DO NOT USE a "versus" title. How about it? ;)

Aug 13 - 11:13 AM

are doubleyou

Ken S

Top: Sure Marvel. Good luck with that. As happy as I am to see James Gunn and Edgar Wright get big budget movies I don't see them making money on some of these films with the insane budgets they require. Combine that with an increasingly obscure list of characters to feature and I foresee that plan getting derailed after Avengers 2 with the quickness.

1: I'm not a boxing fan or a fan of sports movies in general. I honestly haven't even seen Rocky or Raging Bull (the latter is on my Netflix queue because it's still Scorsese) because boxing just seems kind of dull to me as the subject for a film. I'm sure Lee will do a good job with this and maybe it will be the rare sports film I will watch. But that would require a lot of great word of mouth.

2: Leo as the Viking king involved in the three way conflict for England's crown in 1066? Now you have my interest. We need more good Viking movies.

3: It's Pixar and there don't appear to be any talking vehicles. What more is there to say?

4: This isn't as awesome as a Book of Mormon movie starring the original cast, but this sounds good. I should go watch some Kinison standup.

5: Ah, Expendables. I really can't begrudge these movies. Anyone expecting an '80s action movie throwback to be anything more than a fun romp is dumber than these films. I'm sure Ford, Gibson and Banderas will make for a fun afternoon when you need to turn the brain off and watch some explosions.

6: I really have no interest in DC's upcoming stable of movies. There are some good names on the list, but that really doesn't matter. Clooney was a great choice and look what happened there...

7: Yawn. I'm more of a gorehound and psychological horror fan and I can't stand these PG-13 "horror" movies.

2: There is no way this isn't going to rank as one of the worst tear-jerky, ham-fisted pieces of feel-good tripe ever put on screen. It will probably gross 10x it's budget and get several sequels. :|

1: I want to catch the original on DVD. It got some good word of mouth, has a great cast and I like heist films. You probably should have swapped this and the Paranormal Activity news.

Aug 9 - 08:50 PM

Derek Eisen

Derek Eisen

paranormal is rated r but i get your point

Aug 10 - 12:02 AM

Richard Linklater
Richard Linklater

What are his Five Favorite Films?

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast