Marvel's The Avengers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Marvel's The Avengers Reviews

½ July 20, 2015
WHAT I LIKE: This could have easily failed, but thanks to a mix of smart writing and exciting action - it doesn't collapse under it's own weight. 'The Avengers' is first and foremost really, really exciting - nothing wil match seeing these characters fight and interact for the first time. The New York action scene provides ample oppurtunity for all this, but it's not only that where fans can get excited because Whedon recognises the equal importance of some great scenes without all that fighting to ground the team dynamic and character relationships. So thankfully their dynamics are pegged perfectly, the tone of the humour and light-heartedness overall is well done, and the new characters are all great too
WHAT I DON'T LIKE: It's grounded, but there is way too much time spent fixing the shield carrier in the middle which gets boring - you coul have easily cut 10 minutes from the movie. A small gripe is also the fact that Loki doesn't make much sense if you haven't seen Thor, plus Captain America's costume doesn't bare thinking about...
VERDICT: Spectacular. This film brings Marvel's Universe onto a whole new level and will have you grinning throughout. Well done Whedon.
May 18, 2015
A film great, very funny and entertaining, with great fight scenes and special effects, a good story, just thought a negative point is the imbalance of the importance of the characters in the movie, I thought the Iron Man and the Hulk stood out far more than Captain America, Thor and the Black Widow. And has the Hawkeye that was one of the main characters less important, but ultimately the film is very good.
½ November 16, 2015
So I've seen "The Avengers" about 4 or 5 times now, but have never given my thoughts on it yet. Considering I've never been in love with the Marvel movies (I've really liked them but not enough to let the mistakes pass), I feel the need to address that this movie does have its issues, but is still awesome.

Just seeing all these characters that we know and love on the big screen in phenomenal. All of them are great actors and Joss Whedon manages to deliver a witty and comical script. Considering most of these characters have had their stand alone movies, we are already attached to them and we have a pretty good sense of their background.

Phase One of the Marvel movies definitely had some rough patches (The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Iron Man 2), but it came with some pretty solid films overall. Robert Downey Jr. is definitely the most quick-witted character while having a lovable, smart-ass attitude. Chris Evans does a great job as Captain America, and he might be my favorite character. His strong personality and his leadership are admirable, and he always wants to do the right thing. Chris Hemsworth as Thor is also great, and although I really didn't like the first Thor movie, I still admire his character. Mark Ruffalo is amazing as The Hulk, and even though Edward Norton was good, Ruffalo is the new face of The Hulk. I also thought that even though these were more minor characters, Black Widow and Hawkeye were outstanding here.

As for Loki, I thought he was a great villain, but he honestly wasn't that memorable. Yes he was menacing and evil, but when you really watch the movie, The Avengers never actually fight him. They have a quick 2 minute scuffle with him near the beginning, but they never actually fight him in the end. They fight an army, but he ultimately gets taken out in a few minutes. I thought that that was pretty lame and a waste of a villain. I felt like his intentions were more menacing than what he personally did. Although it's nice that he was the brains and commander of this whole operation, it would've been cooler to see him in the front lines.

The story overall is absurd, but still highly entertaining. You do feel like there's a lot at stake and these guys have a lot to fight for. When I'm digging deeper into every scene, there were definitely things that didn't make sense or were just too unrealistic. (Example) Realistically, no air-craft carrier of that size would be able to entirely cloak. That is saying that they are taking the environment around them and mask everyone there in order to blend with their surroundings. Honestly, multiple planes would probably crash into them. Also, when Bruce Banner suddenly turns into The Hulk near the end, that was the most convenient plot point I have ever seen in my life. There's no explanation as to how he can suddenly control his anger when he had no such ability 2 hours ago. There's a lot of small things in the movie that were so off, that it detracted from the film a bit.

Even for a 2 hour and 20 minute movie, it felt really short. I feel like this movie was compressed (Ultron felt that way too) and that they probably could've extended it by about 20 or so minutes. The CGI at times also looks a bit spotty. For such a high budget movie, sometimes the backgrounds and aliens looked pretty bad and it just didn't look real at times. But that's not saying all the CGI was bad. Probably about 80% was doing great, but the other 20% lacked compared to the rest.

This movie also does a great job with building tension between characters. I liked how all of these powers couldn't stand each other until the very end because by building that tension, it felt like it paid off by the time the finale hit. This movie is a pretty light tone and nothing really dark happens. When emotional moments occur, they always have to throw in some comedic line or some comedic relief. I wish they didn't do that as much, but for the most part, the movie had a great sense of comedy to it.

In the end, the action was pretty entertaining and it was just great seeing all these beloved characters all on the big screen at the same time. It's not my favorite Marvel film ever and it never will be, but it is still a fantastic film. The comedy and action are riveting, but there are too many little mistakes and plot conveniences that prevent me from giving it 5 stars. I don't love this movie, but if it did a few things differently, I probably would. In the end, it's still an awesome Marvel movie and a great ending to Phase 1.
November 15, 2015
How does one stuff simple one movie with six superheroes and make it work? This movie shows you how: The heroes have to rub each other the wrong way, and then put aside their petty problems to save the world from an alien army. Simple, effective, engaging.
Robert Downey Jr's performance is the heart and soul of the movie (and perhaps the entire Marvel franchise), and you can understand this movie without having seen any of the other superhero movies, though they provide a richer context.
November 10, 2013
½ November 6, 2015
This movie was a dream for me.
Being a mega comic fan I loved having all the Earth's Mightiest Heroes come together for an action-packed and hilarious movie.
The cast was also couldn't be better for every Avenger.
4 stars
May 3, 2012
Let this be an example of how to make a near-perfect summer blockbuster.
November 2, 2015
Outstanding. Just, everything works.
February 26, 2014
Produced and directed without the same kind of goals, The Avengers focused on taking its massive budget and making the coolest, most spectacular movie they could. They pulled that off with aplomb. Iron Man and co must unite and work together to defeat Loki, Thor's crafty, wisecracking bro.

Every Avenger cast member hits the bullseye in the acting department. Mark Ruffalo and Robert Downey Jr probably are the best as the Hulk and Iron Man. Tom Hiddleston will endear himself to the world with his portrayal as Loki.

The action is plentiful, but thankfully director Joss Whedon doesn't saturate the film with it too badly; we still get some merciful respites as the directing crew really nail the pacing factor. Don't try to seriously compare the Avengers with Marvel's other movies. Its less serious and more obligatory, and it give fans a heck of a ride.
½ November 1, 2015
best comic book movie
September 3, 2014
A film that gave us more than what we wanted, Avengers is great and did not dissapoint. People waited for this to happen for decades, and they felt lucky.
December 28, 2012
the avengers is a cool film! i didn't like it as much as everyone else did though. a fun action packed super hero film, but i enjoy more of a plot then what was represented here. i liked the iron man and hulk films better but an entertaining film overall
October 26, 2015
It's obvious that this is the best MCU movie and the 2nd best superhero movie. I'm not going to go in depth, because you all know why this movie rocks. I'm just going to list it. I loved the cast, the action, the plot, the villain, the CGI, the pacing, the characters, and the end credit scenes. Need I say more? The Avengers is a brilliant sci-fi masterpiece.
October 10, 2012
A dazzling, surprisingly cinematic adaption of the the most epic proportions Marvel has yet to craft until now.
October 13, 2012
Too predictable and boring.
October 24, 2015
Just Marvel can do something like this.
October 24, 2015
Definitely one of the best and also funniest super hero movies I've ever gotten to see, along with Guardians of the Galaxy. And the sequel "Age of the Ultron" is not too far behind.
January 19, 2012
Favourite movie of 2012. Brilliant story, some really funny quips "puny god". Well worth watching
October 18, 2015
The Avengers successfully brings together our favorite superheroes in a fun and awesome movie as they fight a great villain, Loki.
½ March 18, 2013
I'm not a comic guy, but this was a pretty good movie. I loved the character interaction. The action was forgettable and cliched and the story was silly, but I guess this was a comic book movie adaptation or whatever. Stupid big dumb ending.