Mary & Martha - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mary & Martha Reviews

September 16, 2013
Fabulous movie ....very moving it made me think about others and what they go through. I am very please with this film
½ May 4, 2013
Sorry to say but with names like Hilary Swank and Brenda Blethyn in it and its and HBO original movie you hope for more of a film then this film that seem to feel like a few short stories tied up into one big mess of a movie
February 29, 2016
For this film, one needs to look at the overall effect rather than just story and dialogue. You don't even need to watch the first half of the film, for Mary's character and her obsession with her son is so cliché. For the first half of the film, Mary (Hillary Swank) comes off more like an automaton super-mom than a flesh and blood human. The intent here is that we've got a person who's so obsessed with getting it right because of the parental neglect growing up (yes, she even blames her father for her son's death. That bad!) that she goes overboard in rearing her son and interacting with him. She tries too hard, and ends up coming across forced and opaque. So maybe the nature of Mary's character really is just spot on, albeit plastic and stoic.

What this film really points up is the fact that many in the western world live their lives like royalty while the other 80-90% suffers and suffers dearly. The point here, especially for Americans, is that we may best want to look at what's happening to the rest of the world before we indulge in our little worlds too freely, too often (the U.S. is 6% of the world's population yet has more than half the world's wealth). Do we with all that we have, have a responsibility to reach out and help others? To reach out across continents even?

This appears to be the message of the film. Let's get out of our tiny worlds, our safe worlds, and look at what is going on elsewhere, or we may just pay dearly for our negligence. It is in the final scene where this point is made obvious. As Mary and Martha appear before Congress, the focus for the decision makers is mere numbers not individual lives, Martha, who guaranteed that she would not speak at the hearing, can't keep quite at one point. Her purpose as a mom, a mom of millions comes to fruition as she begins to show seemingly endless photos of children who have died from malaria. My only qualm with the film is that it didn't give more details in the epilogue about the particulars of the horrors of all the children who have died.
½ December 28, 2015
This movie was very moving and left a lasting impression. I am still thinking about it days later. Highly recommend!
December 27, 2015
Great movie, though I don't know if I've ever cried so much in a movie!
½ February 3, 2015
So very good! Reality hits home! It could have been my daughter as she had malaria 5 times and could have easily died. The message is clear more needs to be done to eradicate malaria. No one should ever have to die from a mosquito bite.
½ December 22, 2014
Outstanding cinematography and strong performances by Hilary Swank, Brenda Blethyn and even Frank Grillo. This film shows all the emotions and complications felt when losing a child. It also shows the deep problem that Africa has when it comes to malaria. Hilary Swank's characters displays what the beginning of a movement and what activists have to go through to be heard. A great film that's only flaw is it's short running time. If it had longer running time the film could have had more character development between the mothers and sons.
½ September 17, 2014
Almost but not quite. Excellent acting and getting a very important message across. Somehow didn't quite come together but a valiant effort.
August 15, 2014
Yet another enjoyable movie from Hilary Swank. The content moved me to tears.
½ June 23, 2014
Pretty solid little movie.
February 13, 2014
Really great film tear jerker lol but great acting and plot.
½ January 19, 2014
A pesar de la trama enternecedora de "Mary & Martha", no desarrolla muy bien el motivo de lucha por falta de tiempo y desarrollo de la co-protagonista y su ritmo lento la hace poco efectiva el momento de hablar de un tema tan serio como la malaria y el socorro a los niños africanos.
January 15, 2014
It's always sad to watch parents loose their children
October 8, 2013
Great movie. Malaria kills about 500,000 kids mostly in Africa globally.
½ December 6, 2013
Not a great 'film' but a great way of communicating messages about malaria.....
½ December 3, 2013
Entertaining, but a little too idyllic.
November 9, 2013
It seems like a true story, and it could be, with facts and all, but in fact it is a work of fiction. Makes three things: makes you not want to go to malaria areas, makes you want to invest in malaria treatments and ... makes you cry. not bad for a piece of fiction, no?
October 1, 2013
Watched at The Flicks on October 1st 2013
½ September 16, 2013
I appreciated this movie. I think the performers were exceptional and this is just a good movie. It is more of a "fact based" movie kind of makes it "boring" or "hard to get into" but its a really strong movie. Tons of impact.
September 16, 2013