Mary Shelley's Frankenstein - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein Reviews

March 13, 2016
Beautiful costumes and music. A wonderful adaptation!
January 6, 2016
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein attempts to deliver a faithful cinematic adaptation of the literary classic. With a strong focus on characters, the film follows an ambitious scientist whose obsession with unlocking the secret to creating life leads to his ruin and the destruction of his family. Starring Robert De Niro, Kenneth Branagh, and Helena Bonham Carter, the film features a solid cast, but the performances are rather underwhelming. And there's no real horror or sense of foreboding to the experimentations or the Frankenstein Monster. While Mary Shelley's Frankenstein sticks fairly close to the source material, something is missing in the tone and portrayal or the characters.
½ November 2, 2015
Well, let's say that the movie had it's problems. It's big problems. Most of the time, it was only unnecessary Melodrama, which sometimes really annoyed the shit out of me. I don't want to see emotions and other boring stuff in a fucking Frankenstein movie, I'm here for the horror, the scientific aspects and the interesting thought behind it. And the good thing is: I could also see alot of that in this movie, which atleast satisfied me after the not really that believeable romance scenes. I admire the movie for how near it is to the novel, and the fact, that it isn't comperable to these stupid cliché films that most of the times don't have a single little bit in common with the original masterpiece. I liked the fact that the "monster" looked realistic, you could still see that it once was an human being, and that the Doctor wasn't one of these overloaded insane geniuses who have a totally over the top design, with their disabled assistent Igor right on their side. It seems alot more real like in said films. I didn't like many of the characters, well I don't expect much of a Frankenstein's movie anyway, but well, here you had alot to deal with the characters, and you know.. they were all boring as hell. Only the monster gave you a few smiles, because of how cute it was acting all the time, and hell I wish I could know if that's actually a good or a bad thing. I called the monster Herbert and got really attracted to it, unlike to all the other characters... but you should be scared of it right? Ooops.... But well I like Herbert so much, I will overlook that fact.

The next big problem is, the logicial issue. Well, in a novel where a corpse was brought back to life, I don't expect much logic to be honest. But here I could see alot of plotholes, the monster for example knew many things, which it couldn't know if you look at the plot closely enough. Or even if, we didn't saw it, is it that hard to show this to us? The family was also fucking creepy, I felt like in a TV commercial for some outdoor stuff at the mountain scene. It wasn't really believeable, more like a false paradise to me. In the university it seemed a little bit too harsh, and at home a little bit too friendly for that time period. But well, the time setting was still pretty well handled if you ask me. I also admire how balanced the background places were, not too much of the castle, not too much of the university, I could make the list go on, and they always knew when it was the right time to make a change of place. It had a very good visual content in general, my eyes liked what they saw when looking at the landscapes. The beginning and ending scenes were simply epic.

this Review may Sound more harsh than it should, but I actually really enjoyed this movie. Sure, I mentioned enough Problems for others to hate it, but I personally know how to appreciate it.
½ October 18, 2015
This movie sucks balls, straight up. Top 10 worst films I've ever seen.
½ August 15, 2015
While De Niro delivers a solid performance, the slow pacing and bipolar tone shifts will lose any person interested in this film within the first half hour.
June 21, 2015
You of my top to see over and over again
½ April 19, 2015
Good try but the horror here is in the film making
April 16, 2015
Kenneth Branagh drags Frankenstein through almost unbearably long melodramatic precision of a boring period piece. Almost a complete failure....
½ March 15, 2015
A more realistic adaptation of the source material. Even if it doesn't please everyone, you can't deny the powerful performance from De Niro.
March 9, 2015
good remake of this classic tale
February 18, 2015
While the film has a few good moments and there's a lot to like about the film. One of the problems with the movie are the plot holes displayed throughout the film. Another problem with the film was that the film was also overly dramatic making the emotional scenes seem relatively silly. However, the major with the film is the pacing, everything felt way to rushed and you forget it happened after you saw it. With that being said despite the problems with the film it's worth checking out. Though it could have been a whole lot better.
February 1, 2015
Best Horror love film from a horror novel.
November 27, 2014
Probably the best adaptation of Mary Shelly's classic science fiction horror novel. DeNiro is terrifying and sympathetic as the monster and the novels themes of the horror of man trying to play God shine through in the movie even if its tone is a bit uneven going a bit overboard on its soap opera like style
November 11, 2014
I just finished my thoughts on the National Theatre's version of Frankenstein and all the complains remain pretty much the same. On the good side: no comic relief in this movie, thank god. On the bad side? Why must HBC's hair be the main feature of EVERY film she's in??? It's distracting as hell and I kind of cruelly cheered when it caught on fire.

Also that whole bit with her as a monster, oh god, please make it stop, that never happened, why are you making it happen, this isn't making the audience feel extra pathos, it's just make the audience yell WHY THE HELL ARE YOU DOING THIS WHEN YOU COULD BE USING SOME OF THE AWESOME DIALOGUE SHELLEY WROTE???

Or maybe that was just me, but either way, ugh. A shame, too, there was a hell of a lot of talent in this that never really went anywhere.
October 26, 2014
Way over the top, but a great depiction of the creature itself. I enjoyed it, even if it's so bad it's good.
½ October 22, 2014
Branagh's preposterously bombastic take on "Frankenstein" is somehow able to find the occasional moment of profundity and thoughtfulness amidst the indulgent operatics. DeNiro is a weirdly inspired choice for The Creature and gives a weighty, aching performance, and while Helena Bonham Carter is relegated to a fairly standard ingenue role for most of the film, her final moments--maybe the biggest divergence from the original novel-- are really well handled and affecting.

Still, the script does itself a serious disservice by twisting Victor into a romantic hero, safeguarding him from too much culpability or darkness. The inclusion of a tragic backstory is perhaps the biggest misstep; apparently a purely intellectual motivation for scientific advancement wasn't enough (Perhaps Branagh's "Isaac Newton" biopic would feature his wife's death as a result of being crushed by a falling apple tree?), but it feels incongruous with the actual story of "Frankenstein"-- especially as the story is never really sure if Victor is trying to create life or prevent death (which are two entirely different things).

An enjoyably earnest but seriously misguided adaption.
October 11, 2014
"Mary Shelley's Frankenstein" really gets the Branagh treatment. A lot of it is very good, and the rest is so excessive, extravagant and ridiculous that you can't help but laugh.
August 9, 2014
Has a lot of poor acting, and suffers from a romance sub-plot that feels a bit forced in, none the less though Robert De Niro's fantastic portrayal of the Frankenstein monster makes the film more tolerable to watch.
July 29, 2014
A pity that Brannagh stumbled with this one as it had all the right ingredients to succeed. Visuals are pretty good, apart from that ridiculous Busby Berkeley staircase at the Frankenstein mansion.
½ October 20, 2010
(First and only viewing - 10/19/2010)