19% Transcendence Apr 18

The Mask of Zorro Reviews

EightThirty .

April 23, 2007
08/01/2011 (TELEVISION)

Some light fun! Initially this was in my "Not Interested" list and it happened to be the afternoon flick on TV which I couldn't be bothered to change since I don't have a remote. I allowed myself to somehow find some kindling in this story to take my mind of the stressing that was eating me that day and I'm so glad I did. I manage to enjoy the film and feel a little better.

It's a fun plot, the type which I don't mind seeing in different forms. It's well balanced according to my liking and I can watch this again. Cool characters and a cool story. I've probably seen this story many times like this but this really did a nice job with it and with a decent cast. I really liked the humor that's timed nicely through out the adventure with a crazy-cool romance thing happening as secrets are being spilled.

It's 1998 so I do appreciate the action for it's time and I thought the fighting sequences was pretty good. It did a good job of distracting me from what was bothering me so it's a winner for me! A great decision if you got spare time to waste or a nice choice for indecisiveness.
Conner R

January 11, 2010
This is such a beautiful interpretation of a long absent hero. I remember loving the Disney version when I was little and this was such an exciting moment. Bringing back the character in a way that pays homage to the original incarnation, but also creating a new story is the best way to go about it. Anthony Hopkins does a great job of brining back Don Diego de la Vega from cinematic death and making him just as charming and undeniably cool. Even when he plays the older version of the character, it's obvious how powerful his performance is. However, it really is Antonio Banderas' performance as the new Zorro, Alejandro Murrieta, that steals the show and makes you truly feel the weight of the legendary character. His approach is so much fun to watch. Martin Campbell sure makes an effort to have Zorro appear larger than life. I don't think I've ever seen such a large scale accompanying the character. He gives us ridiculously cool action sequences, amazing sets and a realistic backdrop of California in the 1800s. This also pits Zorro against two extremely evil villains that make for a lot of intensity. Having a cannibalistic blonde-haired goon is just a taste of the dynamite characters. I remember being completely blown away as a nine-year-old in the theater and it still sort've has the same effect all these years later.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

April 28, 2011
Entertaining and dashing, The Mask Of Zorro is a superb action film. Antonio Banderas gives the greatest performance of his career as Zorro. A thrilling action packed film, The Mask Of Zorro is a superbly crafted action film that is entertaining and thrilling throughout. The film is never boring and delivers terrific action. The acting is terrific as well, and the cast alongside Banderas is great. Anthony Hopkins stars as the original Zorro who takes an apprentice under his wing to exact revenge on the man who imprisioned him and took away his daughter.I have to admit, I never really was a big fan of the Zorro character, but after seeing this film I was blown away. The best way to describe this film is an action packed period piece. The story is engaging enough to keep the viewer entertained and thrilled. I viewed this film quit a few times since its initial release and it doesn't seem dated one bit. The film is just as good now as it was when first released. The Mask Of Zorro remains Antonio Banderas' best performance and he give his all on screen. He is the perfect choice to play Zorro. The film may be uneven, but it succeeds on many levels. A highly entertaining action packed adventure that hits the right notes. Even if it has imperfections, there are more high points than low points. An entertaining film that actually makes Zorro an interesting action hero again.
Movie Monster
Movie Monster

April 27, 2011
"The Mask of Zorro" has always been, and always will be, one of my favorite movies. I watched it again on Easter Sunday for the first time in a while and it wasn't as fun as I remembered it to be. Well, I picked the right time to review this since a new version of Zorro is in the offing and one of the film's stars, Anthony Hopkins, will be seen in "Thor" next week.

The film is set in the 1800s when Mexico was under Spanish rule and Mexicans were colonizing California. When the Spainsh push the Mexican's buttons too much, one man takes care of it: Zorro. He's got the black mask, cape, gets around in a black horse, his hifeout is a cave, go ahead and call him the Mexican Batman. After Zorro (Anthony Hopkins) witnesses the murder of his wife and kidnapping of his daughter, he becomes depressed and hangs up the Zorro suit for good. But when he comes across Alejandro Murrieta (Antonio Banderas), a man who wants to avenge the death of his brother, Mr. Hopkins gives him the mask and cape to avenge the death of his brother held responsible from a merciless general.

"Zorro" moves at a good pace and features plenty of action. If you were to mix the superhero genre with a swashbuckler, you get "The Mask of Zorro". The film features entertaining performances from the main and supporting cast, perfect production design and shooting style, and delivers barrel loads of fun.

This'll probably be the only time you will see Hannibal Lecter, or Odin, with a tan and a Hispanic accent. Anthony Hopkins plays a good Mexican. He also adds emotion into it since his character has been throught some tough times. But don't expect a lot of emotion, this film is not a tearjerker. Antonio Banderas will always be Zorro in my book. He sly, witty, and the characters fits him excellently. Zorro's personality is similar to that of Batman but has the wit and charisma of Spider-Man. And by sly and witty, I mean sly and witty. Put the word, "zorro", on Google Translate, set it to English from Spanish, and you'll never believe what you'll get! I love Catherine Zeta-Jones in this. And I mean "love" in two ways: her acting and her looks. She had a very good character that had excellent chemistry.

I seem to enjoy the swashbuckler genre because of the dialogue found in most of the films. They have very witty dialogue that I would've never came up with him. They criticize each other in a sword fight and the hero comes up with a very sassy comeback. In "The Mask of Zorro" features a lot of sassy, witty dialogue from, if I'm correct, all the characters. Very well scripted.

Great acting and action and fun dialogue, "The Mask of Zorro" is a swashbuckler classic IMO. Don't get me started on the sequel, folks. Thanks for reading! Leave clean comments below.

"You are like your mother. Same eyes, same mouth, same spirit."
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 9, 2006
Full of energy and well done action, this is a pretty decent Zorro update. I'm happy that they kept it traditional, and that they didn't try to make it contemporary or anything. I don't remember much of this, so it may be better than I'm giving it credit for. I guess it's time for a rewatch.
Spencer S

April 4, 2010
Very enjoyable, action packed, and saucy.
TomBowler
TomBowler

July 31, 2009
catherine zeta-jones should have her clothes cut off her more often, in my opinion. antonio banderas brings such a freshness with him in this role, playing it wonderfully
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 9, 2007
i love this movie its so enterting and action packed and you want the good guys to win so badly i love this movie its so worth a watch as its funny and really entertaining
Dean !

December 31, 2006
This is a great action film with lots of stunts, fights thrown in. Quite light hearted and funny as well.
thmtsang
thmtsang

July 6, 2007
Who cares about Zorro? Boring movie.
Aaron N

March 31, 2007
Don Diego de la Vega: Do you know how to use that thing?
Alejandro Murrieta: Yes. The pointy end goes into the other man.

A nice tribute to old Swashbuckling movies as well as the folk hero Zorro, who was never real by the way.

The film is pretty much perfectly cast. It's a little long, but all very exciting. Shot from wide a distance, opposed to today's generation of quick cuts, so you see all the grand swordplay and other stunts. A fun, enjoyable movie.

Anthony Hopkins as a Mexican, nice. He stars as the older Zorro, who is unfortunately imprisoned and has his daughter taken away from him. Years later he escapes, with revenge in mind.

Antonio Banderas was pretty much born to be Zorro. He has all the looks, energy, and charisma to play this Mexican vigilante.

And Catherine Zeta-Jones is ridiculously good looking here, as the grown up daughter of old school Zorro.

It's a well told story with a lot of fun, action, and humor, not to mention a great sweeping score by James Horner.

Director Martin Campbell, writers Ted and Terry Rossio (who would go on to write the Pirates movies), with the help of Steven Speilberg, has crafted one of the more enjoyable swashbucklers in years.

Don Rafael Montero: Do you recognize him?
Elena: No, but he was young and vigorous.
[pause]
Elena: He was very vigorous, father.
Chiefilms

January 25, 2007
Fun mexie movie
Al S

September 15, 2006
Incrediable fun and enjoyment. Spectacular and exhzilerating. A non-stop action-packed adventure. Fast, furious, romantic and furiously funny. Antonio Banderas and Anthony Hopkins are magnificent. One of the best adventure movies ever made. Splendid, stylish and astonishing. A truly enjoyable adreniline-pumping thrill-ride. Astonishing, gripping, explosive and extroadinary. Breathtaking action entertainment.
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

January 14, 2008
Not even Hopkins reasonable performance and Zeta Jones ass save this.
Tim S

July 30, 2007
Thrilling.
Stephen M

September 21, 2007
I've always got time for a good swashbuckler and, against all expectations to the contrary, this is a good swashbuckler.
Apeneck F

July 7, 2007
it's funny how the relationship w/his horse is the memorable thing i can recall about this, and i love senor hopkins in anything
Dan S

July 2, 2007
Good while it lasted.
Flutie A

May 29, 2007
I don't recommend you watch this movie with me unless you have a severe tolerance for quotage. The cast has great chemistry, and again, lots of good action and humor.